• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
He DOES mention a "2nd dance" in the trailer
He also says: "Just the two of us". It is implied that they had a battle before but not on their own.
Following Vyzzuvazzadth analyses there appears to be a side mission after the first bombing mission, where Cloud goes with Biggs, Jessie and Wedge on a quest for possibly a summon materia. This would be the bike chase scene that we all have seen quite a lot. In this sequence Roche appears, and my guess is that they all defeat him together, while riding to their destination. He falls behind, but eventually catches up to the scene we see in the trailer and is now asking Clould for duel. After completing the mission the team parachutes back to Sector 7.

Kinda disappointed that the main theme, supposedly from Uematsu himself, doesn't make me think of FFVII. It just feels like they made it for the sake of marketing.

I think it's decent. It might fit an ending theme quite well (first desolation -> hope -> determination), Uematsu explained the image he conjured up when composing this track quite well. In general it's hard to make memorable themes, especially trying to integrate them into a game that already pretty much has the perfect main theme, which probably took Uematus months of refinement to finalise so that along with that and the general sound everything else harmonizes.
And you can't really compare this theme to the likes of Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life and Suteki Da Ne. They are the main themes of their respective games, so their magnitude and purpose is very different from Hollow.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Main Theme's rendition is officially out and it's incredible!
I have a feeling it's not THE official overworld theme we'll get in FFVIIR-2 but a more complex and subdued version.
Some of the Jazzy chords there will sneak up on you...

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
L6YempE.jpg

I know some people were wondering if the delay meant the exclusivity would be pushed back as well and it's now confirmed.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone notice that Tifa looks a little different now than she did in the e3 2019 trailer? She looks night-and-day different to me in some scenes. But now she looks a little more true to her original character.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling it's not THE official overworld theme we'll get in FFVIIR-2 but a more complex and subdued version.

Sounds good, but its more like a waltz version of the main theme rather than the orchestral suite the original was. Doesn't hit those brassy highs. The overall impression is more down to earth and upbeat.

They didn't even try to recreate this part:

Just a few similarities and then something completely different.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who is voicing Roche (He sounds familiar but I can't put a name to it) and Corneo? I heard Hamil based on the similarities but I don't think that was ever confirmed.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who is voicing Roche (He sounds familiar but I can't put a name to it) and Corneo? I heard Hamil based on the similarities but I don't think that was ever confirmed.
the rumor i've heard is Troy Baker is voicing Roche, Hamil is also just a rumor, nothing official has been announced. idk why either. do we even have a confirmation who's voicing Sephiroth? i feel like we only know Cloud, Aerith, Tifa, Barret, Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge.

Edit: we do know the voice of Sephiroth. it's Tyler Hoechlin

Last edited:

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
the rumor i've heard is Troy Baker is voicing Roche, Hamil is also just a rumor, nothing official has been announced. idk why either. do we even have a confirmation who's voicing Sephiroth? i feel like we only know Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge.
Tyler Hoechlin is Sephy

I really dont think Roche is Troy, doesnt sound like him at all. And I dont think Corneo is Hamill, but someone doing a pretty good Hamill impression

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
the rumor i've heard is Troy Baker is voicing Roche, Hamil is also just a rumor, nothing official has been announced. idk why either. do we even have a confirmation who's voicing Sephiroth? i feel like we only know Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge.

Edit: we do know the voice of Sephiroth. it's Tyler Hoechlin

We know Aerith as well.

There's speculation that Heidegger is voiced by Clancy Brown.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Will this even play in the game, I wonder.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim's video really voices all my concerns and reservations but unlike Tim I don't know if I'll be able to look past them

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Sounds good, but its more like a waltz version of the main theme rather than the orchestral suite the original was. Doesn't hit those brassy highs. The overall impression is more down to earth and upbeat.

A few things...

1. That's not a waltz. 😉 A waltz is a dance in 3/4 time, this is more of a chamber piece in 4/4. The ballroom dance scene in FFVIII is an example of a waltz.

2. This song shouldn't even be in the game, since the entire game is in Midgar. But since it's in the game, they probably found a section where the theme would fit, in this specific style of arrangement. I'd expect the next game to have the full big brass orchestra version you're hoping for once we hit the "world map", or whatever the remake equivalent is. Can't blow all your musical load on the first game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The main theme remix is ok but nothing in it quite matches the weight that is this part of the original song (3:10):

Or Crisis Core's version:

I'm guessing it's a relatively low-key version just for the credits, though, once Hollow has finished.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
A few things...

1. That's not a waltz. 😉 A waltz is a dance in 3/4 time, this is more of a chamber piece in 4/4. The ballroom dance scene in FFVIII is an example of a waltz.

2. This song shouldn't even be in the game, since the entire game is in Midgar. But since it's in the game, they probably found a section where the theme would fit, in this specific style of arrangement. I'd expect the next game to have the full big brass orchestra version you're hoping for once we hit the "world map", or whatever the remake equivalent is. Can't blow all your musical load on the first game.
That's not entiiiiirely true. The leitmotif of the main theme appears in Midgar. The Midgar slums notably use it.

If I had to guess where they'd use this version of it... it seems too long for a cutscene, but maybe they could use it for the flashback to Cloud and Tifa's promise. That'd be the most appropriate place for it. The original version used Tifa's theme. The Main Theme doubles as Cloud's Theme. Like how the leitmotif is used in "Who Am I" and the Highwind Theme, which contains Cloud's leitmotif, doesn't play while flying around the world map until Cloud returns as leader. Maybe this version of it is meant to split Cloud's Theme out from the Main Theme. It's like a real Cloud-ier version.

It could be meant to replace this version:

Last edited:

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
That's not entiiiiirely true. The leitmotif of the main theme appears in Midgar. The Midgar slums notably use it.

If I had to guess where they'd use this version of it... it seems too long for a cutscene, but maybe they could use it for the flashback to Cloud and Tifa's promise. That'd be the most appropriate place for it. The original version used Tifa's theme. The Main Theme doubles as Cloud's Theme. Like how the leitmotif is used in "Who Am I" and the Highwind Theme, which contains Cloud's leitmotif, doesn't play while flying around the world map until Cloud returns as leader. Maybe this version of it is meant to split Cloud's Theme out from the Main Theme. It's like a real Cloud-ier version.

Oh for sure, the theme can be heard in Midgar, I was just referring to specifically the "Main Theme" song of which the posted arrangement was based on. But yes I fully expect we'll hear the main theme referenced all over the soundtrack as in the original.

No clue how they'll use it, the possibilities you listed sound possible, but to me it would fit better in a new scene created for the remake or as background while you're exploring a big slum area that feels more open world-ish, if they have anything like that.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017

Like I said. I think that'll come in Part 2 when we leave Midgar. This is a more subdued preview imo.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Amazing, incredible, talented etc. Yes. Especially love the minor brass section.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the same version of the theme that plays on the FF VII big commercial.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just play and enjoy, don't focus too much on such things, the moment he talked about the Scorpion boss music and why he disliked it i thought this guys is the type that doesn't enjoy games easily.
But I absolutely do not care for the musical arrangements I've heard and the original music is a big part of why i love the game. I had the same thoughts he did when I heard the new Those Who Fight Further

he is no doubt correct about all the new story material probably killing the pacing of the original story while adding nothing of real value.

i also do not enjoy games easily when they fail at meeting key criteria for my personal enjoyment

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Can someone explain how are record players a thing? I didn't even know OSTs get released on records anymore... and how is the quality so good?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Can someone explain how are record players a thing? I didn't even know OSTs get released on records anymore... and how is the quality so good?
vinyl has had a resurgence in the past 10 years or so, mainly due to nostalgia and probably given a bit of a boost due to the general move away from owning physical music now. everyone i know that buys vinyl does it to collect it, and a huge part of that is the extra large sleeve art.
sound quality is a combination of impressive preamp/amp and speakers, plus assumingly a nice high quality vinyl pressing made of a thick plastic.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
vinyl has had a resurgence in the past 10 years or so, mainly due to nostalgia and probably given a bit of a boost due to the general move away from owning physical music now. everyone i know that buys vinyl does it to collect it, and a huge part of that is the extra large sleeve art.
sound quality is a combination of impressive preamp/amp and speakers, plus assumingly a nice high quality vinyl pressing made of a thick plastic.
That's super interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.