• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not trolling in the slightest. I really don't understand how people can get so vested over various internet stores/markets/etc. I love video games and they are a source of great fun but man, I can't get as invested in some of this as you guys. It's just a store at the end of the day.

Well here you are doing it again with this post.
The discussion points are already in the thread. People are not "so vested over various internet stores/markets/etc", they are explaining dis/misinformation and clarifying opinions behind why on other posts.
As usual the topic descends into this mess when supposedly innocent troll posters like yourself truly just love games because "its just a store".

For the sake of a final post, Note that it isn't a big deal to most people here who've had to explain it, they already made up their minds and are simply explaining that ad nauseum, while being ignored

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
why do you hate egs

*people explain the problems*

*ignore the posts*

repeat ad nausuem

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trolling in the slightest. I really don't understand how people can get so vested over various internet stores/markets/etc. I love video games and they are a source of great fun but man, I can't get as invested in some of this as you guys. It's just a store at the end of the day.

Not caring is your choice and it's perfectly fine. I just don't understand why you want others to do the same since it doesn't affect you. Simply put, why do you care if people don't like Epic?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
"here is an example of how it can lead to a significant increase in price, and those are services I use that make my experience better which are missing on that platform"
1XCn.gif

'So actually it's just a store'

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
No one said Fortnite PC userbase was small.
Uh, I was responding to someone who said pc players were playing LoL, not buying shit from Epic. Which, as your link showed, isn't true. Again, the whole point of the store and the free games and exclusives is to convert all those people (and the rest of us) from just Fortnite players, to customers for their store.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): blatantly trolling, previous infractions for similar behaviour
YOu guys ever think that the reason you guys have to repeat your gripes over and over and over again is because they're stupid and dont matter?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The fact that there wasn't much of it here, in that specific announcement thread doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This site is often better than others in that regard. Although obviously far from perfect.
So people on Era weren't against the EGS for racist reasons after all...

but people on Era still generally dislike the EGS...

wow, it's almost as if there are a lot of genuine reasons to dislike and avoid the EGS 🤔

You do this in every EGS thread. Stop trying (and failing) to paint people who dislike the EGS as racist. It's weird.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Uh, I was responding to someone who said pc players were playing LoL, not buying shit from Epic. Which, as your link showed, isn't true. Again, the whole point of the store and the free games and exclusives is to convert all those people (and the rest of us) from just Fortnite players, to customers for their store.
Because theres two different things

1) In the Epic 2020 report, it shows that third party software is doing pretty meh
2) That people spent more in Fornite than previous year but less than in 2018

So that "someone" wasnt lying.

And revenue isnt the end game anyways, what matters is net profit.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This discussion has been had to death on this forum, so at this stage I'll assume the argument is in bad faith.

Ultimately most PC users support multiple stores, it's the best thing about PC. Where problems justifiably occur is one service is not actually providing additive value or competitive service to Steam, so why should folks "have to" buy there when I can instead opt to buy elsewhere later, or as in most cases, get carried away with competing games instead.
If I buy in Steam, over a decade of evidence and trust shows I will get additive features and value to that game purchase as they evolve PC gaming in their ecosystem, as well as off the bat functionality I require and prefer. From streaming tech, controller support, Steam Input, BPM, library management, Steam Play/Proton, community, guides/forums, user reviews, workshop, SteamVR, reliable support services, etc etc, the offer is substantially more valuable and best for perpetuity.

On EGS, I have games I can't even access in my library due to activation issues on going for months, DLC that can't even be activated correctly, we've seen security issues, they haven't met their own targeted goals for development, actively opted to block customer focused open comms via forums and user reviews for specific triage, and still hasn't got the most basic utility for a baseline of gameplay I'd want. No. I don't need to buy specifically from EGS because it is justifiably a waste of my money. Anyone who is happy just to receive their executable as a one and done thing, EGS is great for them.

As for the comment now highlighted, surely that's on individuals and how they choose to support companies. I've seen equally aggressive comments for PlayStation and Xbox users on this forum. Up to them if that's how they feel. Can't say I feel the same way. But for example I made similar choices - after bad times with BF3 in 2012, we dropped Origin and I didn't play an EA game till Fallen Order since Origin wasn't a good experience for us and fell behind. Same with Ubi games at the moment since they are restricted to that client that isn't reliable.

There are sooo many games already and so little time for gaming for me, that it's absolutely trivial to make the 5sec decision to avoid games stuck in limited ecosystems/clients, and go for the other game I wanted that is available on a better service driven platform. In the end it's often tthe case that I don't get the games even when they do come to Steam simply because I've moved on to other games. And I'm certainly not the only one with this approach as shown with the CCU from the publishers that delay their launches from their initial marketing push. It's why lots of developers/publishers rightly try to support as much as they can as a multiplatform/store endeavour. Ultimately though, a good game will still sell if they can market it properly to grab user attention and they are happy with the service offering

I'm more than happy to buy of trusted services even if they lack functionality, but usually only at a disposable price
I was not around this or any other forum when EGS appeared in the market, what I said was not in bad faith. I appreciate your explanation.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So long as this funds the sequels to be of the same or higher quality than the first, I'm ok with this.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
why do you hate egs

*people explain the problems*

*ignore the posts*

repeat ad nausuem

The answer could be a sticky at this point but everyone will go tldr because they weren't that interested to begin with, it's understandable in a way because pc userbase isn't that huge in this forum.
I'm not saying that there aren't any users interested in the topic of discussion tho, some are genuinely asking while the others are just drive-by posts.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

For not getting invested, you sure as hell post a lot in this thread about how you are not invested in it.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
YOu guys ever think that the reason you guys have to repeat your gripes over and over and over again is because they're stupid and dont matter?
This would be only be said by someone who is consistently ignorant of the efforts made by the PC community here at era to explain in detail why is this an issue and yet people choose to be ignorant and not read what these other people say regarding this issue. These dismissive statements will only get your account in danger of getting warned/banned instead of contributing to this discussion fruitfully. I suggest you put some thought into your posts about this issue and do some research.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
This game will sell like shit just like KH did and square will have a """reason"" to not even bother porting part 2.
Good job Square.
Can't wait to see tales of arise sell triple as much as an FF on pc.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
It absolutely should matter if people are playing your game. You can't grow a customer base by selling your game to corporations.
does it matter, if the Gamers :tm: have proven that Publishers can take the moneyhat from Epic, and those same people complaining will probably just buy the game when it comes to steam?

When you know the people who are complaining are going to end up giving you money anyway, the profit maximizing strategy seems to be to take these checks anyway.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
EGS just literally got a friends list.

If everyone is harping on the same thing, there's probably something wrong with it. There's no reason why EGS should've launched with less features than the Bethesda launcher when it came out, and there's no reason why something striving to be a Steam competitor should have significantly less features than Steam and ultimately still being weaker than the Bethesda launcher years after it first released.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this isn't a timed exclusive for EGS. It's bad enough that they had to take timed Sony exclusivity and then extend that further.

It's okay not to post if you don't have anything worthwhile to say. You're just showing your ignorance.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting KH is on PC now

So did I. I was also confused when people were talking about Sega as well because I forgot all about that Total War game that was EGS exclusive. Unless your game is a much have for me you run the very real risk that I will just forget it exists taking the EGS deal.

I got FF7 at launch on the PS4, so that doesn't really apply to them. They just got a PS4 sale instead of a PC sale and I am not sure if that difference matters to them. I don't even plan to look at the PC version until it hits below $10 on sale on the PC.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya know, I was ready to bow out of console gaming entirely, but Epic pulled me back in to circumvent ever having to use their store.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Glad it's finally coming to PC, been itching to replay this.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
So long as this funds the sequels to be of the same or higher quality than the first, I'm ok with this.

There's no universe in which the funding of a Final Fantasy VII remake is dependent on a platform holder's exclusivity boon. Square-Enix is not some scrappy indie and Final Fantasy is not some unproven franchise...

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no universe in which the funding of a Final Fantasy VII remake is dependent on a platform holder's exclusivity boon. Square-Enix is not some scrappy indie and Final Fantasy is not some unproven franchise...
This is funding executive's and shareholder's post covid vacations.
This is just me being super paranoid as an FF7 fanboy. I adored the remake, so I'm looking for them to have as many resources as possible to make it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: admitting to trolling
I'm kind of sad this was leaked and not announced out of the blue. I wanted to see the Era meltdowns for the latter

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, it was starting to feel like it would never come to PC at this point.

I'll probably still wait a few months for a price cut assuming it'll launch at full price like the Kingdom Hearts games.

If I were able to get a PS5 from anywhere I might have just played the PS4 version there since I have it on PS+, but since I sold my PS4 recently I don't have any way to play it and I doubt I'll be able to find (or afford) a PS5 for a while.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of sad this was leaked and not announced out of the blue. I wanted to see the Era meltdowns for the latter
I'm gonna spoil your fanfic: "Well, that fucking sucks, guess I'll wait even more for the Steam version".
Look at the KH reactions or all of the other moneyhats. It's not like this is an actual exclusive.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft games seems to not be coming to steam anymore :(
I wish more ubi games came to steam again but it seems that all their releases are not timed but permanent :(
Don't worry, sooner or later they will return to Steam. EA was the one who started the anti-Steam crusade and now look at them. Ubisoft will most likely do the same.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has already locked up the game for at least 18 months. It's not like anyone desperate to play the game hasn't by now.

By all accounts though, that's just Ubi being Ubi and nothing to do with whatever exclusivity contracts they are signing with Epic
Epic paid them to specifically drop Steam support with several games.
This also meant the end of keys being widely distributed (that would typically result in better prices for us, due to competition).

I don't think Ubisoft would have dropped Steam without the financial incentive to do so.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Sony has already locked up the game for at least 18 months. It's not like anyone desperate to play the game hasn't by now.

Epic paid them to specifically drop Steam support with several games.
This also meant the end of keys being widely distributed (that would typically result in better prices for us, due to competition).

I don't think Ubisoft would have dropped Steam without the financial incentive to do so.

I don't doubt that they did, but I also think that Ubisoft saw it as a convenient excuse to do so. They're in a relatively unique position relative to the other publishers who are taking Epic deals in that they have their own launcher and it's not a choice between Epic, Steam or nothing. They'd rather just have people buy stuff on UbiConnect, the Epic thing was just a convenient escape hatch from Steam for them.

rdbaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It's been over a year of jumping to conclusions for FF7 Remake based on preconceptions of Kingdom Hearts and it's still a losing battle

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt that they did, but I also think that Ubisoft saw it as a convenient excuse to do so. They're in a relatively unique position relative to the other publishers who are taking Epic deals in that they have their own launcher and it's not a choice between Epic, Steam or nothing. They'd rather just have people buy stuff on UbiConnect, the Epic thing was just a convenient escape hatch from Steam for them.
That's essentially what I said, but you're framing it as a "convenient escape hatch" rather than "Epic paid them to do it".
There was no losing in the situation for Ubisoft:
  • Ubisoft games on Steam already required you to run the Uplay client.
  • Ubisoft games on EGS still require you to run the Uplay client.
  • Buying games directly on Uplay means that you only need one client rather than two.
So they had no reason not to take Epic's money.
They were essentially being paid to drive users directly to their own service - since there's no reason to buy Ubisoft games on EGS, unlike the platform benefits of owning them on Steam.

I don't think they would have dropped Steam unless they had been paid to do it.
But users lost out big-time now that there was no opportunity to shop around for Steam keys any more.
And then Ubisoft shut down key redemption altogether, as a result of the Epic deal.