• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If they make more PC money from an Epic bag than they would have from a Steam launch, then this is a completely different discussion. The import tibit will be how many copies they'd sell as a regular PC release and if the Epic money more than makes up for that
Tbh, it'll come to Steam a year later and still sell well, save this post.

It would've sold insanely if it was day and date.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix cashing innnnn on the Final Fantasy VII brand name. Some folks worried about the 5 million sales (which haven't been updated publicly yet) need not to worry for sure. They raking.

On the short term, yes it's a good decision. But when you're building a brand and want to sell sequels... it's a moronic move.
Remember that there's one to two games coming after, if not more. If each releases sees a drop in userbase, that's problematic for the mid term to long term.

If they make more PC money from an Epic bag than they would have from a Steam launch, then this is a completely different discussion. The import tibit will be how many copies they'd sell as a regular PC release and if the Epic money more than makes up for that

As I said, you're seeing this as an individual release, which is short sighted. Yes, it sounds like a good deal if Epic pays 1 million copies to sell to no one. But it's better to sell 1 million copies to your userbase rather than sell 1 million to Epic and 250k to your userbase. Because while you get more money on one side, you limited your growth by a good margin.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Honestly I'm totally okay with this. At this point I just want to know when it's coming to pc versus being bothered by it being exclusive.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for those who dislike Eric's store, thankfully I'm not in a situation where that applies to me but I see why others can be upset. Unlike KH, the price for FF might feel right to double dip in the future.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
This was actually proven to be the opposite. And if anything: Epic launch means no launch hype, as proven by Kingdom Hearts.

Do we have sales for Kingdom Hearts? With Metro and Borderlands both studios portrayed it as a win/win launching twice. And from the Apple case leaks, they got a LOT of money to do it.

I don't care for EGS at all so I'd be happy if the math didn't work out for everybody. Just because of the SamSho thing, they really ruined that games chances on At least having a solid month on PC like most niche fighting games.

Nov 23, 2017
On the short term, yes it's a good decision. But when you're building a brand and want to sell sequels... it's a moronic move.
Remember that there's one to two games coming after, if not more. If each releases sees a drop in userbase, that's problematic for the mid term to long term.

I can't see FF VII Remake Parts II and III selling less than 3 million each within the first year. I'm confident they'll at least get 4 million for each game in a worst case scenario so I don't see it hurting them. Especially if they keep rinsing and repeating the whole PS5 Deal > PS Plus Deal > Epic Deal > (maybe) Game Pass deal. It's just a cycle of free money for them. I wish we got the numbers on what these companies are paying them but it's definitely good. Lifetime, regardless of deals, I see at least 8-10 million per game. I'm not particularly worried. As long as the games are good, they will get their money.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have sales for Kingdom Hearts? With Metro and Borderlands both studios portrayed it as a win/win launching twice. And from the Apple case leaks, they got a LOT of money to do it.

I don't care for EGS at all so I'd be happy if the math didn't work out for everybody. Just because of the SamSho thing, they really ruined that games chances on At least having a solid month on PC like most niche fighting games.

All we know from Kingdom Hearts is that they decided to discount it by 30% a few days before release... and it was constantly outsold in their top by years old titles that wouldn't sell much for various reasons. When Godfall is sitting in front of KH3... you don't need to think twice.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Tbh, it'll come to Steam a year later and still sell well, save this post.

It would've sold insanely if it was day and date.
There is so much evidence that points to selling big AAA games on Steam the same day as console releases is financially the right move yet people like to dispute this for some reason.

did we already forget RE8 did 100K concurrent players days AFTER launch?

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Man everyone in here super salty about a launcher. I'm just hyped it's coming to PC, who cares where it downloads from.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The Epic hatred started off with a bunch of racist paranoia about the Chinese and Tencent supposedly stealing your Steam data.

That's a funny way to rewrite history because the Epic defenders were like "Fuck China" when being told people from China couldn't access it at first. And when it didn't had regional prices "Fuck 3rd world countries". Totally not racists.
The Epic hatred started off with exclusivity deals and higher prices. The Tencent stuff happened a lot later.

I can't see FF VII Remake Parts II and III selling less than 3 million each within the first year. I'm confident they'll at least get 4 million for each game in a worst case scenario so I don't see it hurting them. Especially if they keep rinsing and repeating the whole PS5 Deal > PS Plus Deal > Epic Deal > (maybe) Game Pass deal. It's just a cycle of free money for them. I wish we got the numbers on what these companies are paying them but it's definitely good. Lifetime, regardless of deals, I see at least 8-10 million per game. I'm not particularly worried. As long as the games are good, they will get their money.

When, if they did things right, it could've started with a game selling over 10 million units and each subsequent release getting over 5 millions.
But it's fine, they just need to hope to strike more and more deals. That's a totally safe business model.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
There is so much evidence that points to selling big AAA games on Steam the same day as console releases is financially the right move yet people like to dispute this for some reason.

did we already forget RE8 did 100K concurrent players days AFTER launch?
Yup, it's short-sighted from SE.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Man everyone in here super salty about a launcher. I'm just hyped it's coming to PC, who cares where it downloads from.
I will never forget reading a similar statement from another poster on this site. And then a couple months later, their SSD / HDD got corrupted and lost their 100 hour save of Hades because well, EGS has no cloud saves. One of the multiple reasons why EGS is not a good storefront / launcher

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. The Epic hatred started off with a bunch of racist paranoia about the Chinese and Tencent supposedly stealing your Steam data.
it started with exclusivity deals for kickstarter projects like shenmue 3 and other titles (who were planned for steam at the time and got pulled)

or wait: the metro controversy was before shenmue, right?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Really?
The only concern I recall was when Epic actually did access users Steam data without user knowledge

www.gameinformer.com

Valve To Investigate Epic Game Store's Use Of Steam Files

The statement comes after users discovered the launcher was accessing Steam user data files.

The trolling in this thread to drive it off topic is sensational.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The Kickstarter games suddenly being exclusive definitely didn't help back when they were buying up games.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
To be a little fair, "exclusive to Sony" and "exclusive to Epic" are not really the same thing.

"Exclusive to Sony" prevented the game from being on Xbox or PC in any form. At least when it's exclusive to a store front, it gets to be played on PC. Epic's store can certainly be disliked but this deal at least doesn't prevent PC gamers from playing it, unlike the Sony deal.

It's stopping me and dozen from getting this on Epic dodgy-ish store. If Epic was on Steam level of reliability/security, I think people wouldn't be so reserved.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
They wont. FFXV is a mainstream franchise and sold less than Automata. Guess which one released day and date or close to and which one got a delayed release.

The more you delay such a high profile release, the lower sales will be, and at a lower price on top of that.

Those publishers thinking they're making a good deal are just short sighted and misreading the market.
FF15 is an extremely bad game though, why would it sell well?

Nov 23, 2017
That's a funny way to rewrite history because the Epic defenders were like "Fuck China" when being told people from China couldn't access it at first. And when it didn't had regional prices "Fuck 3rd world countries". Totally not racists.
The Epic hatred started off with exclusivity deals and higher prices. The Tencent stuff happened a lot later.

When, if they did things right, it could've started with a game selling over 10 million units and each subsequent release getting over 5 millions.
But it's fine, they just need to hope to strike more and more deals. That's a totally safe business model.
As long as the deals offset the losses then they should be alright. The only concern for me is the player base but these are single player games. They'll lose out on the folks who were too burned out to wait for a release on their preferred platform but they had to have forecasted that in when making these deals. I mean on a personal level, I wish it was available everywhere because people deserve to play it so I get it.

The business aspect I truly didn't like was how they handled Final Fantasy VII: The First Solider. A mobile only title with no true controller support. Makes zero sense to me when most of their Final Fantasy playerbase are on console and PC, but I digress.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
*shrug*

All right then.

No rush, I've got plenty of games to play until the I can buy a Steam copy with decent discount.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the deals offset the losses then they should be alright. The only concern for me is the player base but these are single player games. They'll lose out on the folks who were too burned out to wait for a release on their preferred platform but they had to have forecasted that in when making these deals. I mean on a personal level, I wish it was available everywhere because people deserve to play it so I get it.

The business aspect I truly didn't like was how they handled Final Fantasy VII: The First Solider. A mobile only title with no true controller support. Makes zero sense to me when most of their Final Fantasy playerbase are on console and PC, but I digress.

Then again, it wont make up for the brand growth. If anything, you're just reducing it even further.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Honestly, this company has been making some pretty stupid mistakes and games that are just all right in the overall view of things but putting this thing on one store for an exclusively is just another reason why I won't buy it just like I didn't buy Kingdom hearts 3. I just went ahead and bought the complete package on Amazon for PS4 for about $30 anyway.

But this particular remake is just going to cause me to wait for the price drop on intergrade on PS5 instead of wanting to support them on PC like I have with a lot of the other exclusive console ports that have come over.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow this isn't the first time that I see your nickname, avatar and the argument that disliking EGS somehow equals to beeing a racist.

Edit: OH! You're THAT guy who claims that Steam is a recruitment ground for white supremacy and that Valve is activly supporting that. I see.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
FF15 is an extremely bad 0game though, why would it sell well?
FF15 and Nier Automata have basically the same Metacritic review (with FF15 Windows edition being slightly better):

Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition

Set in modern times but with a touch of medieval influences, Final Fantasy XV focuses on Noctis Lucis Caelum, the prince of a dynasty which rules a city state that has the last remaining crystal. After the crystal is stolen by an invading nation, Niflheim, a global conflict ensues with all other...

NieR: Automata

NieR Producer Yosuke Saito, director Taro Yoko and composer Keiichi Okabe return, teaming up with character designer Akihiko Yoshida and PlatinumGames to present the next entry in the saga – NieR: Automata.

FF15 is part of the biggest JRPG franchise ever, while Nier was from a niche IP that everyone was surprised got another game.

Nier Automata sold better.

Its similar with all FF /big JRPGs by Square underperforming on PC while other Japanese titles overperform and grow their audience. Other Japanese publishers care about their PC game releases being day and date while Square only cares about getting some easy money day and not about growth of the franchise. So SE game growth stagnates on PC.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
All we know from Kingdom Hearts is that they decided to discount it by 30% a few days before release... and it was constantly outsold in their top by years old titles that wouldn't sell much for various reasons. When Godfall is sitting in front of KH3... you don't need to think twice.
I think a lot of people on PC already emulated KH a long time ago, SE took way too long with the ports to be honest.

Nov 23, 2017
Then again, it wont make up for the brand growth. If anything, you're just reducing it even further.
I can't disagree on the brand growth. They had to have known that it's going to rub some folks the wrong way when they made these deals. The deal I questioned the most was the Intergrade PS5 timed exclusivity when the PS5 is barely available to buy. I'd rather it just be on Xbox and PC at the same time so more people get a chance to play it but they're uber confident in their deals.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Mobile is massive in Japan and in Asia in general. First Soldier will be successful even if no one in the West touches it. SE probably won't care as long as China eats it up.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
What about the guys that just prefer Steam because all our stuff is already there?
I'm obviously not going to stop you from preferring one store over another.
You got your timeline backward. People were complaining about Tencent and the Chinese the moment the store was announced, and before we knew details like game pricing.
It is not. Try to educate yourself before spreading misinformation and trying to paint everyone who against EGS as racists.
Thats not what I'm saying. Just that one of these things happened before the other.