• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"There's hidden dialogue in the Shinra building between Barret and Cloud if, after you pass the 31st floor on the stairs, you go back down to the ground floor.

Barret asks Cloud about Tifa's parents and what happened to them, because she won't share anything besides the fact that they're dead. Cloud refuses to say, as its not his place, and the conversation drops when he tells Barret to ask her if he wants to know so badly. "

I started going back down the stairs to see if anything would happen, but stopped after a few flights. Cool that they added something for that.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Maybe it was obvious to others, but I didn't notice it on either of my playthroughs, I saw it in a Let's Play:

In Chapter 2, after the first Sephiroth sighting, where Cloud gets flashbacks from the burning of Nibelheim you see that the buildings on your right side are the normal buildings of Midgar that should be there, while the buildings on your left are the burning ones from Midgar.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EX5xulhXgAAaiGq

Who's the leader of the head group?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Who's the leader of the head group?
Unconfirmed following the events of Before Crisis.

All the major players involved with AVALANCHE are either dead or missing, having retired or removed themselves from the conflict.

It's assumed that it's a more broad organization that relies more on individual cell action rather then unified ops during the time FFVII Remake occurs.

If there is a head, or a few individuals at HQ of AVALANCHE providing data and oversight, we will have to see if they reveal themselves over time.

All we know about AVALANCHE'S opperations is that they Could still be in contact with Wutai, and Could have been still connected to Rufas Shinra, as a plot point in Before Crisis involved him privately bankrolling AVALANCHE activities to supplant his father's position in the company.

If Zack ends up having an independent journey playable or at least seen in cutscenes, it's possible he would eventually make contact with HQ through some Before Crisis style circumstances, and the party at large wouldn't be involved with them until much later, around the time the Assault on Midgar may occur.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
"There's hidden dialogue in the Shinra building between Barret and Cloud if, after you pass the 31st floor on the stairs, you go back down to the ground floor.

Barret asks Cloud about Tifa's parents and what happened to them, because she won't share anything besides the fact that they're dead. Cloud refuses to say, as its not his place, and the conversation drops when he tells Barret to ask her if he wants to know so badly. "

damn, got the platinum last night and now I need to see if there's more dialogue I missed

Nov 23, 2017
Unconfirmed following the events of Before Crisis.

All the major players involved with AVALANCHE are either dead or missing, having retired or removed themselves from the conflict.

It's assumed that it's a more broad organization that relies more on individual cell action rather then unified ops during the time FFVII Remake occurs.

If there is a head, or a few individuals at HQ of AVALANCHE providing data and oversight, we will have to see if they reveal themselves over time.

All we know about AVALANCHE'S opperations is that they Could still be in contact with Wutai, and Could have been still connected to Rufas Shinra, as a plot point in Before Crisis involved him privately bankrolling AVALANCHE activities to supplant his father's position in the company.

If Zack ends up having an independent journey playable or at least seen in cutscenes, it's possible he would eventually make contact with HQ through some Before Crisis style circumstances, and the party at large wouldn't be involved with them until much later, around the time the Assault on Midgar may occur.
Yeah, the Rufus connection made me pause for a sec when I was playing through Remake. The fact that the Turks needed to see the VP before his dad was murdered and around the same time the HQ cell showed up, it made me feel pretty suspicious. I have a feeling that Rufus was considering ending his dad himself with the help of Avalanche HQ.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
This one is blowing my mind. I already knew about the (canonical? semi-canonical?) relation between FFX and FFVII through Shinra, but to see that mask in the museum... WOW.
HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

I never knew this!

I just thought it was a connection the same way they have Cid in every game.

Mind.
Blown.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Rufus connection made me pause for a sec when I was playing through Remake. The fact that the Turks needed to see the VP before his dad was murdered and around the same time the HQ cell showed up, it made me feel pretty suspicious. I have a feeling that Rufus was considering ending his dad himself with the help of Avalanche HQ.
There is a theory that the President was thrown over the edge as part of a coup, not Sephiroth.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

I never knew this!

I just thought it was a connection the same way they have Cid in every game.

Mind.
Blown.

Here are the instances where Square Enix discussed this topic:

1/ In the Final Fantasy X Ultimania Omega (January 2002), Nojima and Kitase claim that the sequel to FFX will connect to FFVII in a surprising way:
Interviewer: "Previously, with a conversation in the FFX Scenario Ultimania, you made certain inferences, and since it's been about half a year since then, is there anything new you'd like to clarify about FFX?"

Kitase: "That's true...... Now that FFX International is out and we're in the future, I'm in a predicament; it really isn't that hard to think of another story [set] in that world; room for expansion was left possible there without too much difficulty, don't you think? Speaking conversely, FFX received a splendid reception and made us think of adding to it."

Nojima: "After FFVII was finished, we were easily able to add Zack's open[-ended role] into the International version. But, with X, there was an older story with a partly-finished world and an opening that this new one could be added to and[, in doing] so[,] complete it."

Kitase: "So, you could say [in terms of] time, Nojima-san decided to designate it to act as a sequel to VII, if you follow me."

Interviewer: "It's a sequel to VII!!"

Kitase: "Well, there was a joke right there. Simply put, in VII's ending, Holy came, and the next thing you knew, it was over without closing things up, and then it was the "500 years later" [scene] in the future. There's a large margin buried there. A margin for the imagination. Nojima-san and Toriyama are going to be filling something of that with VII, though, while they're at their best and can do it."

Interviewer: "So, will it become a sequel to VII's story?"

Nojima: "I have a strong feeling that they're going to be connected."

Interviewer: "Huh, so VII and X ARE connected?"

Nojima: "Well, there's not many specifics to it. I know that what becomes of people when they die is among them; you could say that it's basically the same. Both [concepts came to] function along the same line of thought as I wrote the stories. Sometimes my thoughts just flow out like that, even though pyreflies distinctly aren't green."

Interviewer: "When you speak of the dead becoming [something] green, do you perhaps [mean]......?"

Nojima: "Yes. In my mind, pyreflies and VII's Lifestream are the same substance."

Kitase: "Nojima-san's even considering making use of an idea like this -- [with] an addition to the idea of life origin -- in a sequel to FFX International. That's just a little bit of the thought that's been going into what to do with VII."

Nojima: "That's right. There's something like the Lifestream [in X's world also]......."

Interviewer: "'An addition to the idea of life origin'......does that mean you're going to revise life origin concepts or something?"

Nojima: "I can't say......it's a secret (laughs)."

Kitase: "It's a surprise with how someone from the story conducts theirself with regards to the Farplane."

2/ In Final Fantasy X-2 (March 2003), the character Shinra says he's thinking that it's possible to extract the life force of the planet to use as an energy source for machinas. Yuna also jokes that maybe they could build a city full of light, one that never sleeps, but that it would probably be a long time after her generation. Additionally, Rin says he's convinced that machinas are the technology of the future:
Shinra: "Aha..."

Yuna: "What are you looking at?"

Shinra: "Farplane data. The more I study it, the more fascinating it gets. There's limitless energy swirling around in there."

Yuna: "Limitless energy?"

Shinra: "The life force that flows through our planet...I think. With a little work, we could probably extract the energy in a usable form."

Brother: "Sweet!"

Shinra: "Of course, that'd take generations."

Brother: "That's no fun!"

Buddy: "Well, still, it is something worth shooting for."

Yuna: "Think how much Spira would change if we ever got it to work! Maybe one day we could build a city full of light, one that never sleeps!"

Shinra: "No doubt about it."

Yuna: "Just imagine! But I'll never get to see it...will I..."

Brother: "Shinra! Don't make Yuna sad!"

Shinra: "Right. My bad."
Rin: "You are suggesting that my decision to upgrade the machina resulted in a number of casualties... ... and that I tried to cover it up?"

Yuna: "You put the investigation in our hands because we were amateurs. You hoped we would botch the case. And then, I kept calling you even though I didn't have any leads. You would have objected to the meaningless interruptions, if you really wanted to solve the case."

Rin: "I see. It appears that I have underestimated you, Yuna."

Rikku: "Why, Rin?"

Rin: "If word got out that machina pose a danger, people would fear them and stop using them."

Paine: "So Yevon's not alone in sweeping things under the rug."

Rin: "I firmly believe that machina are an indispensable part of Spira's development. Even if there is another incident, I intend to conceal the evidence."

Yuna: "You really think people will follow you that way?"

Rin: "I am not alone in my thinking. We are researching ways to extract the vast energy that sleeps in Spira, and use it to power machina."

Paine: "You're a jackass."

Rin: "I will take that as a compliment."

3/ In the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania (May 2003), Nojima, Kitase, and Daisuke Watanabe say that a thousand year after the characters Shinra and Rin researched energy-harnessing technology based on Vegnagun's remains, space travel is achieved and Shinra's descendants travel to FFVII's planet, Gaia, where the Shinra company is eventually founded:
Interviewer: "Would you say "being connected" is one of the key words in this story?"

Watanabe: "I personally like the word 'connected,' and there are places it fits with well."

Nojima: "I try to give various connections to the vague things in the games."

Interviewer: "Is there a connection, for example, with Shinra's name, which of course reminds one of FFVII? The "last mission" line and Rin's "I am not alone in my thinking" line from "Detective Rin" have strong implications."

Nojima: "As a matter of fact, yes. Shinra quits the Gullwings, receives enormous financial assistance from Rin and uses Vegnagun to extract mako energy from the Farplane. However, he can't complete the system to utilize the energy in a single generation, and the Shin-Ra Company is built on another planet in the future once travel to distant planets is possible, and stuff like that ... Those things happen about 1000 years after this story, though."

Interviewer: "So the story of FFVII is after that?"

Nojima: "I guess you could say those are the feelings I have about it. When I think about the characters, those are the images I already see. Shinra is a good kid, and yet his descendants are going to be like the President. (laughs)"

Watanabe: "Speaking of VII, after being told about the Shinra scenario, one of the staff members said he arranged the camera work for the first time you see the Bevelle Underground to 'feel like something you've seen before.'"

Toriyama: "That's right, it looks like the opening shot of Midgar in FFVII."

4/ In the extra dungeon in Final Fantasy X-2 International+Last Mission (February 2004), Rikku confirms that Shinra left the Gullwings to focus on his research with Rin:
Paine: "Out of shape?"

Yuna: "Haha, a little. I haven't gotten much exercise lately. What about you, Rikku?"

Rikku: "Piece of cake! You know why? Because I don't sit around all day doing nothing like you do."

Yuna: "You've got me there."

Paine: "So, what've you been looking for, Rikku? Some machine sunk in the sea or something?"

Rikku: "That's right."

Yuna: "Oh yeah, you've been helping Shinra, haven't you?"

Rikku: "Hehe! Well, ya know how Shinra left the ship and is off researching something or other with Rin? Every now and then he asks me to check out this or that. He says he can't do it himself because he's just a kid. So I'm always looking for ruins on the bottom of the sea, or off running all over on some mission or another."

5/ In the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega (September 2005), the character Shinra's energy-harnessing research and descendants' space travel are again mentioned:
Shinra Description: Shinra is a boy who supports the Gullwings, the group which the main protagonist, Yuna, belongs to. He carries a name that gives him an association to the Shin-Ra Company, and he is researching a method that could utilize the energy of "the life force that flows through our planet." The results of this cannot be seen in FFX-2, but maybe one day his descendants will establish a "company that supplies the energy of the planet"?

(Accompanying screenshot caption): The words of Shinra, which can be heard at the end of the story. This world has something similar to the Lifestream that is worthy of attention.

6/ In Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (September 2005) and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (January 2006), Cid has a new airship called the Shera, that looks suspiciously like a Spiran Al Bhed airship. NPCs mention that the Shera wasn't built by Cid but by some ancient "lost civilization", and that they found it one day in some dig.
4AYpkXGl.jpg
NPC in the Engine Room: While the airship is named after Cid's wife, construction of the vessel wasn't performed by the captain at all. Our team of loyal scientists here at the World Regenesis Organization or those criminals at Shinra weren't involved, either. To tell you the truth, the ship is not even from this era. It is a relic from a lost civilization. Most of the machinery in the engine room is boxed up in black casing, so we don't even know what half of it does. There's no need to worry. Even though we cannot reproduce the technology, we can still put it to good use. I can almost guarantee there will be no problems. Almost...
NPC on the Bridge: Mr. Valentine! It's me! Don't you remember? I was one of the Highwind crew! That bird was a beauty, but this ship's just as sweet. And you won't believe this, but she runs on some mysterious ancient power. But you don't have to worry. You'll be safe in my hands.

7/ In the Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary Ultimania (September 2017), the Shera is again mentioned as being based on technology from some lost civilization:
Shera Description: Features in AC and DC. Said to use the legacy of an ancient civilization to power it, and it still has many black box areas yet to be fully understood. The ship is christened after Shera, Cid's partner.

8/ In a video interview with EDAMAME Arcade Channel (December 2017), Kitase discusses this topic with some overexcited interviewers:

Interviewers: FF7 and FFX take place in the same world.

Kitase: (shows "True" sign)

Interviewers: Oh! Wow... wow!

Kitase: A little.

Interviewers: Really?

Kitase: There is a character in FFX called Shinra. The scenario writer suggests that he might have something to do with the Shinra Company in FFVII.

Interviewers: From the man. From the horse's mouth. It's official. VII and X, same world. Wow!

9/ Then there's this Inside Final Fantasy X and X-2 documentary (May 2019) where Kitase discusses this topic again:

Kitase: So there is this young boy called Shinra who appears in FINAL FANTASY X-2 and as you would expect from that name, there are fan theories that he might be connected to the Shinra Company from FINAL FANTASY VII. The scenario writer Mr. Nojima has not made any official pronouncements about it. But as a kind of "secret history", he thought that Shinra from X-2 might grow up and his descendants several generations later possibly go on to found the Shinra company.

10/ Finally, in Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 2020), the museum bit in the Shinra headquarters has a photo of some kind of team, all sat down, and the guy in the middle has a mask that looks like the mask worn by the Shinra character from FFX-2:
EU-rOapWAAAZOaQ

On the left: FFX-2. On the right: FFVII Remake.

There are also other conceptual similarities of course, like the Farplane being a weaker Lifestream and the Remnants of Sephiroth being basically Unsent.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
For what it's worth, there's also some side dialogue from the guards when you're breaking into the Shinra building garage:

Security Officer 1: What's the situation?​
Security Officer 2: Can't get in contact with HQ.​
Security Officer 1: Did they do this?​
Security Officer 2: No idea.​

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
For what it's worth, there's also some side dialogue from the guards when you're breaking into the Shinra building garage:

Security Officer 1: What's the situation?​
Security Officer 2: Can't get in contact with HQ.​
Security Officer 1: Did they do this?​
Security Officer 2: No idea.​

The they in this case is thought to be AVALANCHE, but was most likely Mayor Domino, who sees you all sitting on top of the truck and starts disabling security in various places to let you through.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017

1/ In the Final Fantasy X Ultimania Omega (January 2002), Nojima and Kitase claim that the sequel to FFX will connect to FFVII in a surprising way:
Interviewer: "Previously, with a conversation in the FFX Scenario Ultimania, you made certain inferences, and since it's been about half a year since then, is there anything new you'd like to clarify about FFX?"

Kitase: "That's true...... Now that FFX International is out and we're in the future, I'm in a predicament; it really isn't that hard to think of another story [set] in that world; room for expansion was left possible there without too much difficulty, don't you think? Speaking conversely, FFX received a splendid reception and made us think of adding to it."

Nojima: "After FFVII was finished, we were easily able to add Zack's open[-ended role] into the International version. But, with X, there was an older story with a partly-finished world and an opening that this new one could be added to and[, in doing] so[,] complete it."

Kitase: "So, you could say [in terms of] time, Nojima-san decided to designate it to act as a sequel to VII, if you follow me."

Kitase: "Well, there was a joke right there. Simply put, in VII's ending, Holy came, and the next thing you knew, it was over without closing things up, and then it was the "500 years later" [scene] in the future. There's a large margin buried there. A margin for the imagination. Nojima-san and Toriyama are going to be filling something of that with VII, though, while they're at their best and can do it."

Nojima: "Well, there's not many specifics to it. I know that what becomes of people when they die is among them; you could say that it's basically the same. Both [concepts came to] function along the same line of thought as I wrote the stories. Sometimes my thoughts just flow out like that, even though pyreflies distinctly aren't green."

Interviewer: "When you speak of the dead becoming [something] green, do you perhaps [mean]......?"

Nojima: "Yes. In my mind, pyreflies and VII's Lifestream are the same substance."

Kitase: "Nojima-san's even considering making use of an idea like this -- [with] an addition to the idea of life origin -- in a sequel to FFX International. That's just a little bit of the thought that's been going into what to do with VII."

Nojima: "That's right. There's something like the Lifestream [in X's world also]......."

Interviewer: "'An addition to the idea of life origin'......does that mean you're going to revise life origin concepts or something?"

Kitase: "It's a surprise with how someone from the story conducts theirself with regards to the Farplane."

2/ In Final Fantasy X-2 (March 2003), the character Shinra says he's thinking that it's possible to extract the life force of the planet to use as an energy source for machinas. Yuna also jokes that maybe they could build a city full of light, one that never sleeps, but that it would probably be a long time after her generation. Additionally, Rin says he's convinced that machinas are the technology of the future:

Shinra: "Farplane data. The more I study it, the more fascinating it gets. There's limitless energy swirling around in there."

Shinra: "The life force that flows through our planet...I think. With a little work, we could probably extract the energy in a usable form."

Yuna: "Think how much Spira would change if we ever got it to work! Maybe one day we could build a city full of light, one that never sleeps!"

Rin: "You are suggesting that my decision to upgrade the machina resulted in a number of casualties... ... and that I tried to cover it up?"

Yuna: "You put the investigation in our hands because we were amateurs. You hoped we would botch the case. And then, I kept calling you even though I didn't have any leads. You would have objected to the meaningless interruptions, if you really wanted to solve the case."

Rin: "If word got out that machina pose a danger, people would fear them and stop using them."

Rin: "I firmly believe that machina are an indispensable part of Spira's development. Even if there is another incident, I intend to conceal the evidence."

Rin: "I am not alone in my thinking. We are researching ways to extract the vast energy that sleeps in Spira, and use it to power machina."

3/ In the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania (May 2003), Nojima, Kitase, and Daisuke Watanabe say that a thousand year after the characters Shinra and Rin researched energy-harnessing technology based on Vegnagun's remains, space travel is achieved and Shinra's descendants travel to FFVII's planet, Gaia, where the Shinra company is eventually founded:
Interviewer: "Would you say "being connected" is one of the key words in this story?"

Watanabe: "I personally like the word 'connected,' and there are places it fits with well."

Interviewer: "Is there a connection, for example, with Shinra's name, which of course reminds one of FFVII? The "last mission" line and Rin's "I am not alone in my thinking" line from "Detective Rin" have strong implications."

Nojima: "As a matter of fact, yes. Shinra quits the Gullwings, receives enormous financial assistance from Rin and uses Vegnagun to extract mako energy from the Farplane. However, he can't complete the system to utilize the energy in a single generation, and the Shin-Ra Company is built on another planet in the future once travel to distant planets is possible, and stuff like that ... Those things happen about 1000 years after this story, though."

Nojima: "I guess you could say those are the feelings I have about it. When I think about the characters, those are the images I already see. Shinra is a good kid, and yet his descendants are going to be like the President. (laughs)"

Watanabe: "Speaking of VII, after being told about the Shinra scenario, one of the staff members said he arranged the camera work for the first time you see the Bevelle Underground to 'feel like something you've seen before.'"

4/ In the extra dungeon in Final Fantasy X-2 International+Last Mission (February 2004), Rikku confirms that Shinra left the Gullwings to focus on his research with Rin:

Yuna: "Haha, a little. I haven't gotten much exercise lately. What about you, Rikku?"

Rikku: "Piece of cake! You know why? Because I don't sit around all day doing nothing like you do."

Paine: "So, what've you been looking for, Rikku? Some machine sunk in the sea or something?"

Rikku: "Hehe! Well, ya know how Shinra left the ship and is off researching something or other with Rin? Every now and then he asks me to check out this or that. He says he can't do it himself because he's just a kid. So I'm always looking for ruins on the bottom of the sea, or off running all over on some mission or another."

5/ In the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega (September 2005), the character Shinra's energy-harnessing research and descendants' space travel are again mentioned:
Shinra Description: Shinra is a boy who supports the Gullwings, the group which the main protagonist, Yuna, belongs to. He carries a name that gives him an association to the Shin-Ra Company, and he is researching a method that could utilize the energy of "the life force that flows through our planet." The results of this cannot be seen in FFX-2, but maybe one day his descendants will establish a "company that supplies the energy of the planet"?

(Accompanying screenshot caption): The words of Shinra, which can be heard at the end of the story. This world has something similar to the Lifestream that is worthy of attention.

6/ In Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (September 2005) and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (January 2006), Cid has a new airship called the Shera, that looks suspiciously like a Spiran Al Bhed airship. NPCs mention that the Shera wasn't built by Cid but by some ancient "lost civilization", and that they found it one day in some dig.
4AYpkXGl.jpg
NPC in the Engine Room: While the airship is named after Cid's wife, construction of the vessel wasn't performed by the captain at all. Our team of loyal scientists here at the World Regenesis Organization or those criminals at Shinra weren't involved, either. To tell you the truth, the ship is not even from this era. It is a relic from a lost civilization. Most of the machinery in the engine room is boxed up in black casing, so we don't even know what half of it does. There's no need to worry. Even though we cannot reproduce the technology, we can still put it to good use. I can almost guarantee there will be no problems. Almost...
NPC on the Bridge: Mr. Valentine! It's me! Don't you remember? I was one of the Highwind crew! That bird was a beauty, but this ship's just as sweet. And you won't believe this, but she runs on some mysterious ancient power. But you don't have to worry. You'll be safe in my hands.

7/ In the Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary Ultimania (September 2017), the Shera is again mentioned as being based on technology from some lost civilization:
Shera Description: Features in AC and DC. Said to use the legacy of an ancient civilization to power it, and it still has many black box areas yet to be fully understood. The ship is christened after Shera, Cid's partner.

8/ In a video interview with EDAMAME Arcade Channel (December 2017), Kitase discusses this topic with some overexcited interviewers:

Kitase: There is a character in FFX called Shinra. The scenario writer suggests that he might have something to do with the Shinra Company in FFVII.

Interviewers: From the man. From the horse's mouth. It's official. VII and X, same world. Wow!

9/ Then there's this Inside Final Fantasy X and X-2 documentary (May 2019) where Kitase discusses this topic again:

Kitase: So there is this young boy called Shinra who appears in FINAL FANTASY X-2 and as you would expect from that name, there are fan theories that he might be connected to the Shinra Company from FINAL FANTASY VII. The scenario writer Mr. Nojima has not made any official pronouncements about it. But as a kind of "secret history", he thought that Shinra from X-2 might grow up and his descendants several generations later possibly go on to found the Shinra company.

10/ Finally, in Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 2020), the museum bit in the Shinra headquarters has a photo of some kind of team, all sat down, and the guy in the middle has a mask that looks like the mask worn by the Shinra character from FFX-2:
EU-rOapWAAAZOaQ

There are also other conceptual similarities of course, like the Farplane being a weaker Lifestream and the Remnants of Sephiroth being basically Unsent.

This is so awesome! I love this kind of stuff. Thanks!

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I will never accept the after-the-fact bolt-on canon of FFX and FFVII being connected. Every FF has some relation to crystals, and the recycling of concepts with the Lifestream and the Farplane and people dissolving into colorful mist when they die does not a connected land make. It is a cool easter egg though.

I'm more liable to believe FFXII, FFXIV, and FFT exist in the same world. At least the realm's name matches.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I will never accept the after-the-fact bolt-on canon of FFX and FFVII being connected. Every FF has some relation to crystals, and the recycling of concepts with the Lifestream and the Farplane and people dissolving into colorful mist when they die does not a connected land make. It is a cool easter egg though.

I'm more liable to believe FFXII, FFXIV, and FFT exist in the same world. At least the realm's name matches.

Well, it's not like it's the same planet. They're just in the same universe.

Spira(or whatever the name of FFX's planet is) and Gaia are different planets.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

4AYpkXGl.jpg

EU-rOapWAAAZOaQ

Speaking of FFX connection, there is also a NPC that looks a bit similiar to Wedge

24portly.jpg

no one else is wearing that red bandana

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That's a really awesome and potentially important bit of info.

If even Barret doesn't know anything about Tifa's past, I hope that means we get a much bigger focus on it when we get to the Nibelheim flashback.

Gonna be a lot of eyes fixated on Tifa once Cloud gets to the part about her dad and Sephiroth.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Noticed some more gay representation here with a NPC talking to a friend about adopting a child with this partner.

vRzm9yd.jpg

From the leaked demo script, Cloud is supposed to have a line at night about waking Tifa up if he tries to open her door. If he tries to open Marco's door, he says something about not having met him yet. But they must have removed the lines for one reason or another.
I believe both those lines are in. At least, I remember Cloud saying a line like that.

Same, I heard them as well.

Not a major thing, but a fun detail for replaying chapters.

In chapter 13 when you control Barret, if you equip one of his melee weapons while trying to destroy wall rubble, he'll remark that it won't work.

Even cooler, in chapter 9 during the Cloud/Aerith run through the coliseum, the announcers have unique dialog for whatever summons you call up, even Bahamut.

Now I need to replay this a few times, haha.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a few Easter Eggs I can recall:

One that I noticed back when the demo released, was an in-game poster advertising a camera, which had a picture of a cat, that is surely a clear reference to Cait Sith.

Most benches in the game have "POTION" written on them, some (towards the end game in particular) have ??? on them, a reference to the ? Save File icon in the original game.

Aerith's drawing on the wall at Shinra HQ, definitely had some Amano art of early FFs. I'm sure of it. The resemblance was uncanny.

I didn't discover 3 and 4 until after completing the story lol. Will be very useful during the Hard run.

2 is blowing my mind. I know you can pause to skip cutscenes, but I hope this triangle one will work with those short in-game cutscenes that aren't skippable with pause?
I still don't understand the purpose of multi use? I'm trying to hold L1 in battle while selecting spells and items and it doesn't really seem to do anything? When I pressed L1 while trying to use cure in the field the word multi-use appeared but I didn't really get what the point was

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I still don't understand the purpose of multi use? I'm trying to hold L1 in battle while selecting spells and items and it doesn't really seem to do anything? When I pressed L1 while trying to use cure in the field the word multi-use appeared but I didn't really get what the point was
It's not for battle, yeah.

It's so you can quickly use multiple cures or potions without having to hit the Command button again and go through the menus.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed the second time around that the upper plate of Sector 7 is for corporate housing.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed the second time around that the upper plate of Sector 7 is for corporate housing.
Yeah, the name of the place that appears onscreen when you arrive is something like Employee Housing District.

Adds another perverse layer to the plate dropping because Shinra not only sacrificed the slums but their own employees who lived topside.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm on Chapter 14 of this game and I'm really enjoying it. Story for the most part makes sense, if not a bit random, but the characters are well written.

I just wish I didn't know what happened to Aerith in the OG game because everyone was screaming from the rooftops what happened to her way back when the trailer for this game dropped last year.

I get that it's a super old spoiler at this point but it's annoying even having to question whether she dies or not whenever she starts talking lol - Maybe she doesn't in this (not finished the game yet) first part, but it's a little annoying. Just wanted to vent haha

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Chapter 14 of this game and I'm really enjoying it. Story for the most part makes sense, if not a bit random, but the characters are well written.

I just wish I didn't know what happened to Aerith in the OG game because everyone was screaming from the rooftops what happened to her way back when the trailer for this game dropped last year.

I get that it's a super old spoiler at this point but it's annoying even having to question whether she dies or not whenever she starts talking lol - Maybe she doesn't in this (not finished the game yet) first part, but it's a little annoying. Just wanted to vent haha
No one actually knows exactly what will happen in this remake. Keep playing and you will see.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
7634e8bc16f65261ce35ca8d08e0feaf873e6391.jpg

Reunion Flower is on Tifa's rug when they have their little moment.

No one knows for sure now....but it's likely she still does just differently. But that's just my opinion. Too iconic to change.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I'm replaying on hard, just noticed in chapter 2(or 3?) when your on the train going to sector 7 that you see that girl you run into later in the game in the church With the hat and long socks. Can't remember her name. It's a nice nod for this replaying.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
This totally could have been a cameo if it wasn't for the fact FFX already has a Biggs and Wedge (as generic NPCs).

I'm talking about the appearance though, every FF game has characters named such as Biggs and Wedge etc. I don't recall seeing or at least hearing about characters having cameos in other FF entries except for that shinra guy in that photo.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
A friend pointed me to this dark easter egg:

She seems to actively go to that corner every time after exiting the mini game or mini game menu as long as no other cutscenes are triggered. When revisiting the hideout in later chapters without her, other party members don't go zooming for that corner like she does.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
A friend pointed me to this dark easter egg:

She seems to actively go to that corner every time after exiting the mini game or mini game menu as long as no other cutscenes are triggered. When revisiting the hideout in later chapters without her, other party members don't go zooming for that corner like she does.

Oh my goodness SE why......

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Hey y'all!

I'm playing through the original and JUST got to Aeriths death (I thought I was ready and I wasnt :c ) and there were a couple of moments that were wtf to me and I'm curious how they'll be handled in the Remake.

1. Clouds bizarre breakdown in front of the mural at the Temple of the Ancients.

What was that about? When did he snap back? I'm confused at the execution so if anyone can describe that scene in clearer terms it'd be helpful, because I think the translations were super awkward here.

2. Did Cloud all of a sudden start wailing on Aerith?? wtf? Also seemed like he had like an inner version of himself as a little boy crying and trying to stop him? And who was saying "dont be afraid", it doesnt make sense in that scenario.

I wonder how they'll handle it in the remake...this could be super triggering and upsetting if handled the wrong way, and could "ruin" Cloud's character for some people. He doesnt seem apologetic enough after, imo.

3. Cait Siths "death": why was he sad if his body is just a "toy"? why is he still in my party I thought he got smooshed lol

Shinobi_Dude

May 31, 2019
You can cancel Barretts reload animation into charge by hitting triangle the moment he stops firing. This saves a bunch of time and makes the charge animation faster.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
If you fail at the switch minigame with Barret/Tifa/Cloud really a lot, Barret will start to crack some jokes.
One of them are (in the German dub): B:"Haha, are you trying to compensate something with your huge sword?", T (very annoyed): "Ugh, says the guy with the big cannon".

I don't know how many dialogues you can get at this minigame.

Edit: Don't know if already postet: There are 2 NPCs talking about the last Loveless show
and how it has a different ending, probably a reference to the game's/the new saga's(?) ending.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hey y'all!

I'm playing through the original and JUST got to Aeriths death (I thought I was ready and I wasnt :c ) and there were a couple of moments that were wtf to me and I'm curious how they'll be handled in the Remake.

1. Clouds bizarre breakdown in front of the mural at the Temple of the Ancients.

What was that about? When did he snap back? I'm confused at the execution so if anyone can describe that scene in clearer terms it'd be helpful, because I think the translations were super awkward here.

2. Did Cloud all of a sudden start wailing on Aerith?? wtf? Also seemed like he had like an inner version of himself as a little boy crying and trying to stop him? And who was saying "dont be afraid", it doesnt make sense in that scenario.

I would advise to just keep playing first because you may get some answers.

Caith Sith death was always a point of mockery, all that drama for nothing lol

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
EXT4Da6UwAAU6n_

If you fail at the switch minigame with Barret/Tifa/Cloud really a lot, Barret will start to crack multiple jokes.
One of them are (in the German dub): B:"Haha, are you trying to compensate something with your huge sword?", T (very annoyed): "Ugh, says the guy with the big cannon".

Never thought that I'd see Tifa stand up for Cloud's dick.

-sigh- Now i gotta got play the switch minigames to see what other dialogue I missed. I was too good at them.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I would advise to just keep playing first because you may get some answers.

Caith Sith death was always a point of mockery, all that drama for nothing lol

Okay, good to know - i'll peel myself away from this thread lol

Re: Cait Sith I was like "lmao what's happening, why is this so dramatic what--- oh he's still here ew"

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017