• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your favorite boss fight ?

• Air Buster

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Reno & Rude

Votes: 36 9.1%
  • Abzu 2nd Fight

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Jenova Dreamweaver

Votes: 66 16.8%
  • Rufus & Darkstar

Votes: 126 32.0%
  • Sephiroth

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Other ( Mention in your post )

Votes: 38 9.6%

• Total voters

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Rufus is the more cool looking, sadly I always performed really bad a it, Darkstar goes out quick but Rufus is the complete opposite of my playstyle lol

On hard I didn't even had to fight him because I started with limit break, that got him staggered then I used Infinite End and the fight was over lol. Just two skills back to back killed him.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite was either Airbuster or the very last boss fight in terms of gameplay. Really fun, hype fights. A lot of the boss fights in this were great though and a really fun time. The only times they weren't were the marathon before the end, and that may have just been me not understanding them.

I could not figure out for the life of me the gimmick behind Jenova's last phase since I kept killing the tentacles, she would become vulnerable, then I would stagger her and she would become what seemed invincible since she would push back everyone who got close and become immune to magic. Maybe if I had Breach on me I would have been able to dispel it and hurt her, but without it, I really had no idea what to do since any physical attacks that made it through also triggered a huge counter.

I also didn't understand Arsenal's first phase, since the probes protecting it said they were resistant to long-range and magic damage, but... your party is Barret and Aerith, so those are literally your only options. That combined with how much health Arsenal had just drug out the fight a lot.

For Rufus, it also became boring during the later phase because he would counter everything and I could never quite hit the opening to attack him and gain ATB for Braver, so I just ended up guarding forever until ATB built up enough to try and land a Braver on him. It felt like a trick fight at that point where you kinda had to wait for the ability to use the one right move and couldn't do anything else. The rest of the fight was great though!

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The whole 3 stages for each boss makes them all so memorable. Though Sephiroth's fight was closest thing to AC which is pretty awesome.

The music of Jenova Dreamwaver though. When it hits, it HITS.

I'ma need some time to think.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It's got to be the Rufus fight. Made me completely rethink my approach to combat. A great example of a boss that teaches you to get better at the game.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They all had something great to comment on and the boss fights is one of the things the Remake really did well.

Personal favorite was the Sephiroth fight, visual and musical experience out of the ordinary.

Voxy

Dec 3, 2019
I love all of them but Reno & Rude was soooo epic. Imagine a fight against all Turks together? It would be awesome.
Rufus was amazing too.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rufus for sure, though Hell House and Seph are very close. Hell House had the fun play by play and constantly having to figure out how to beat him, and Seph was as all out as it could get. There were times where I was legit like 'wait he gets STRONGER?!' But Rufus was so different from the rest and made you think and play differently. A stream I watched was hating on it because they kept getting countered by him and called it a BS fight. You just have to learn!

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
For me, it's a three way tie between fighting Behemoth (in the Virtual Reality challenge on Hard Mode), the aspects of Bahamut, and fighting the Hell House.

Those three fights really make you use all the games mechanics to test your mantle. Behemoth in particular kicked my ass up n' down the block, but it was an awesome fight.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Does the 7-star battle in the Shinra Combat Simulator count? Because I'm going with that due to how intense it was. I know the thread is open spoilers, but since it's post-game content that some might not have attempted yet, I'll hide it away.

It's basically a gauntlet battle against the summons (Shiva, Fat Chocobo, Leviathan, & Bahamut), with a prototype at the end. You have to make tough choices with your materia setup to account for everything this challenge can throw on you. The real highlight of the gauntlet is Bahamut, because of how much Mega Flare can wreck you day if you don't have high HP and Manawall up at the time.

So I'm slowly working the fight, get Manawall up when his counter reaches 1, tank it, heal and survive. Eventually you get him down to half health, and he fucking summons Ifrit into the fight. Now this is a real pain in the ass to keep your HP up and not get your casts interrupted dealing with the both of them. I'm trying to knock Ifrit out of there asap, but Mega Flare is counting down, and I cannot buy enough time to get ready for it. It gets down to one, I get Manawall off, try using Pray, immediately hit and lose my ATB bars. Trying to desperately build ATB to get another cast off, but it's too late and I'm sitting ~3k HP across the board. Mega Flare wipes the party out and I let out a "FUCK", immediately followed by an "OH SHIT!" as I see that Barret still had that revival earring equipped and springs back to life. From that moment I was able to revive the rest of the party and mount an insane comeback.

The final battle was a bit of a letdown in comparison, but in the end, the entire thing was 30 stressful, but fun minutes.
I'm going to go through the rest of the game in hard mode soon, so maybe something will still top this. Man, I love this battle system so much.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be a weirdo and pick Swordipede. I couldn't stop smiling when it incorporated Tifa and Aerith and I have a soft spot for that enemy from the original. Can't think of a bad boss though, they were all pretty incredible for the most part.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Rufus just because of how much fucking SWAG he had. Then, he tells Darkstar to go away after you've done enough damage to it? So fucking baller.

The stretch from Jenova through the end might be my favorite several hours ever in a JRPG for gameplay. Just fucking brilliant.

But really...every boss. This gameplay is just phenomenal on every level.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Picked together as I'm going with Behemoth. Felt monster huntery with injuring all the body parts.

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I managed to separate them and obliterate Darkstar very quickly with Punisher Mode on my first go. I need to see the fight again on hard mode.
yeh in my play through getting rid of the dog wasn't a problem but I had to play very specifically to get to him. A lot of blocking and a few well timed focused dashes until I had enough limit break to ruin him.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The build up and delivery of the Airbuster fight was definitely a highlight of the game. And the music for the fight...Jesus.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rufus was so good. I got wrecked the first attempt but learned from it and by the end I made Rufus my bitch. Was countering and blocking all his attacks.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Reno and Rude was an incredible conclusion to Chapter 12.

Rufus would have been a lot better had they not added the Jenova fight right before it, and if they had done the Rufus/Arsenal fights simultaneously where you flipped between the two parties, similar to what they did with the Swordipede boss in Hojo's lab

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't know....When I went up against Rude and he belly to back suplexed me I wasn't expecting that and it was my biggest "wtf" moment of the whole game so far.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
Rufus was downright amazing!
Next faves are Sephiroth and Macromedia Jenova Dreamweaver.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reno and Rude was an incredible conclusion to Chapter 12.

Rufus would have been a lot better had they not added the Jenova fight right before it, and if they had done the Rufus/Arsenal fights simultaneously where you flipped between the two parties, similar to what they did with the Swordipede boss in Hojo's lab

Loved chapter 12 but I thought both the Reno and Rude fights were better solo than together.

Oct 26, 2017
Rufus was too quick and easy. Once his dog was done, I used my limit break on him and killed him in a single hit.

Jenova Dreamweaver for me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
OP nailed it, Jenova was a good fight but then phase 3 kicked in and it felt like electricity. So good

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
No Hell House on the poll, OP?

It was unnexpected, hard, and an incredible spectacle

It took me a long time to beat, but it added to the sense of accomplishment

The narration during the fight was also awesome

But every boss fight in this game was ace

Great designs in general, with most of them making you experiment with your party

I'm surprised by the Rufus responses. It was visually awesome, but once you beat Darkstar, it becomes too easy

All you have to do is to throw magic at him

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Jenova Dreamweaver, Rufus, and Hellhouse are the best fights in the game in my opinion. I fucking loved Dreamweaver.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Loved the Air Buster fight, being able to pick what to sabotage as you work your way to the fight is great.

I think all the boss fights are awesome to be honest, they really nailed it when it comes to bosses.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I've wanted to make a ranking poll for all of the boss fights, from best to worst, but 2 things:

1: How many bosses are there actually, there's so many that I can't remember the number.
b: How do you make a poll webpage?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the Jenova fight but didnt think it was a good boss fight. I enjoyed the Rufus fight once i understood what to do, did not like fighting Darkstar.
I enjoyed Hell House on hard, much better fight when you understand everything you need to do. Sephiroth was my fav. like a complete package of a fight. i enjoyed the 1v1 fights of Reno and Roche too. still need to beat Bahamut. i liked the Shiva fight. i'm trying to think if there were any full fights I didn't enjoy but nothing is coming to mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Rufus and Dark Nation (I refuse to call it "Darkstar") blew my fucking mind to Mars and back.

For a Remake where pretty much of the bosses were piss easy, Rufus kept me on my guard and unlike most other bosses in the game, actually forced me to keep my distance and use blocking!

I literally had no idea on how they were going to do this particular boss. It's pretty much a mini-boss in the original and the battle is very simple and ends quickly.

Not here. Rufus is a fucking badass. The music was incredible. His attack patterns were super cool, and watching a regular human stand against the likes of "super-EX-SOLDIER" Cloud Strife was amazing.

In fact, Rufus gave me my only two Game Overs in the game. I tried to destroy it the same I way I destroyed most of the other bosses, but not here! He would counterattack, use Dark Nation, and that brutal and visually amazing "railgun" attack. I was smiling the whole fight.

Here's to you, Rufus, you magnificent bastard.

184dda2277f9cd3c7ff75c90629f27b58483b276.gifv

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you. Jenova was a great fight. I also really liked the first Reno fight. Reno/Rude was a bit too much noise but it was alright. Final Sephiroth, as much as it sucked for the story, was also a really good fight, if maybe a little too easy for a final boss.

I HATED the Rufus fight. Way too aggressive, and the tricks to damaging him were way too SPECIFIC and hard to time properly so a lot of it was getting punked over and over and over again by him or his dog and getting locked into a knockdown loop.

I really hate that scanning him doesn't even tell you braver massively staggers him. It just says a specific move.....like come on!!!! Such a dumb tooltip

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate that scanning him doesn't even tell you braver massively staggers him. It just says a specific move.....like come on!!!! Such a dumb tooltip

And even then, Braver has such an absurdly long setup animation that if you aren't EXPECTING him to reload before he does it, it's almost impossible to hit him with the damn thing enough to get credit for it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
And even then, Braver has such an absurdly long setup animation that if you aren't EXPECTING him to reload before he does it, it's almost impossible to hit him with the damn thing enough to get credit for it.

Pretty much outside of focus thrust and triple slash e every moves setup is just too long and becomes very bad to use in hard mode fights. It's not worth taking the hits half the time. I hope they fix that in the next game......so many moves are just so bad for hard mode use.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
THE HEEEELLLL HOOOOUUUUUSE

Jenova Dreamweaver, solo Reno and Airbuster were up there too, but TBH they were all pretty great.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Rufus by far. Reno & Rude were second. Oh and Hell House was a great surprise. The rest the boss fights kinda bored me to be honest.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Hell House. Especially on hard.

Rufus by far. Reno & Rude were second. Oh and Hell House was a great surprise. The rest the boss fights kinda bored me to be honest.

Rufus is a joke though. I don't like boss fights where you can cheese them with one move.

Think about it this way, what moves are guaranteed for Cloud to have? You shouldn't be trying damn Triple Slash on him.

I'm going to be a weirdo and pick Swordipede. I couldn't stop smiling when it incorporated Tifa and Aerith and I have a soft spot for that enemy from the original. Can't think of a bad boss though, they were all pretty incredible for the most part.

I hated this boss. His stupid attack where he curls up in a 'ball' and spins you is basically unavoidable and the arena is so damn small with Tifa and Aerith. On hard it hits for like 1500 dmg when blocking. Did not like the area around it. Plus the way magic works, you basically need to do a -aga spell in order to hit him since he moves constantly.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much outside of focus thrust and triple slash e every moves setup is just too long and becomes very bad to use in hard mode fights. It's not worth taking the hits half the time. I hope they fix that in the next game......so many moves are just so bad for hard mode use.

Is it though? I still get plenty of Milage out of infinity's end in Hard. It actually reminds of greatsword in MH, and considering who was on game design, it makes a whole lot more sense.

There is nothing like having cloud prep either braver or infinity's end and staggering the boss during windup right before it hits. Feels like

pacha_edits_meme.png

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Is it though? I still get plenty of Milage out of infinity's end in Hard. It actually reminds of greatsword in MH, and considering who was on game design, it makes a whole lot more sense.

There is nothing like having cloud prep either braver or infinity's end and staggering the boss during windup right before it hits. Feels like

pacha_edits_meme.png

kind of a waste, because you want to get that stagger % up fast due to how insane the damage bonus is the higher it goes. So I wouldn't use either move until later in the stagger.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
kind of a waste, because you want to get that stagger % up fast due to how insane the damage bonus is the higher it goes. So I wouldn't use either move until later in the stagger.

That's what Tifa is for!

Well learning what you can actually use on him was part of the fun. Was more interesting than the HP sponges were you just gotta fill the stagger gauge.

But like I said earlier, there are only so many moves Cloud has and I doubt they would make it so you couldn't stagger him if you missed a weapon skill, which really limits how many skills it could be!

I agree an enemy that instantly counterattacks any move, including special abilities, is interesting. But replaying on hard, and I shredded him. I struggled way more with Hell House.