• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your favorite boss fight ?

• Air Buster

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Reno & Rude

Votes: 36 9.1%
  • Abzu 2nd Fight

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Jenova Dreamweaver

Votes: 66 16.8%
  • Rufus & Darkstar

Votes: 126 32.0%
  • Sephiroth

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Other ( Mention in your post )

Votes: 38 9.6%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2017
To me, Final Fantasy VII Remake had offered me one of the best most epic boss fights in the last decade.. they were challenging and force you to keep changing between team members, they were really atmospheric and the soundtracks... MY GOD WERE THEY EPIC OR WHAT.

Mine is: Jenova Dreamweaver.

3657483-final%20fantasy%20vii%20remake_20200417171139.jpg

Since the original game 1997 whenever I fight Jenova my excitement hits roof top mainly because of the epic well fitted track, techno music that resemble an alien enemy with the powers of hallucination.

So when I found out that we were going to fight Jenova in one of the trailers.. I immediately knew it was going to be my favorite boss fight in the Remake, and the whole game I was waiting for this moment.

Then it happened... at the president Shinra office, the atmosphere was brilliant as hell.. the fight give you a great feelings.. but where is the techno music? yes the theme is there but where is the techno beat?

So the more Jenova health bar goes down, the more I gave up to hear it, THEN... phase three happened, and the music changed into THE FREAKING TECHNO BEAT... I screamed OH MY GOD YES... and then one of the most epic moments I've ever experienced in my 30+ years of gaming career happened ;_;

Freaking EPIC.. one of the best boss fights ever that I will never forget <3

Pick and share yours Era.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you. Jenova was a great fight. I also really liked the first Reno fight. Reno/Rude was a bit too much noise but it was alright. Final Sephiroth, as much as it sucked for the story, was also a really good fight, if maybe a little too easy for a final boss.

I HATED the Rufus fight. Way too aggressive, and the tricks to damaging him were way too SPECIFIC and hard to time properly so a lot of it was getting punked over and over and over again by him or his dog and getting locked into a knockdown loop.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
To me, Final Fantasy VII Remake had offered me one of the best most epic boss fights in the last decade.. they were challenging and force you to keep changing between team members, they were really atmospheric and the soundtracks... MY GOD WERE THEY EPIC OR WHAT.

Since the poll only allows for 10 choices, I will list 9 and if your favorite boss fight wasn't there you can mention if in your post.

Mine is: Jenova Dreamweaver.

3657483-final%20fantasy%20vii%20remake_20200417171139.jpg

Since the original game 1997 whenever I fight Jenova my excitement hits roof top mainly because of the epic well fitted track, techno music that resemble an alien enemy with the powers of hallucination.

So when I found out that we were going to fight Jenova in one of the trailers.. I immediately knew it was going to be my favorite boss fight in the Remake, and the whole game I was waiting for this moment.

Then it happened... at the president Shinra office, the atmosphere was brilliant as hell.. the fight give you a great feelings.. but where is the techno music? yes the theme is there but where is the techno beat?

So the more Jenova health bar goes down, the more I gave up to hear it, THEN... phase three happened, and the music changed into THE FREAKING TECHNO BEAT... I screamed OH MY GOD YES... and then one of the most epic moments I've ever experienced in my 30+ years of gaming career happened ;_;

Freaking EPIC.. one of the best boss fights ever that I will never forget <3

Pick and share yours Era.

It can't be overstated how fucking fire the soundtrack to this game is. Especially stuff like this, where they *knew* it was fucking fire and had the confidence to make you wait for it so it comes out of nowhere at hype moments; I.e. as also seen with the battle theme not showing up until Chapter 2 and the boss theme not happening until Airbuster. GodDAMN.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
They were all so god damn good. I honestly can't pick a favorite. If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Hell House. Seeing it come out as a boss was just too good.

And I just need to echo sentiments on how amazing the soundtrack for this game was. The way the original OST was incorporated in so many ways was just perfection.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the Airbuster. It's the game's first real challenge and the spectacle is amazing. Makes the slog leading up to it worth it.

Oh, and the music is incredible of course.

Worst boss is the Whisper Harbinger. Garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
Others have mentioned Sephiroth and power creep as being issues for future games (and I agree), but I still probably enjoyed that fight most. Rufus was ok but a bit too specific in how you had to fight him in order to with. Dreamweaver was good and so were Reno & Rudd's fights.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
My favorite actual fight was Airbuster. It was the first time I felt like I had to use each party member's strengths in order to defeat it. Combine that with the kickass song and my blood was pumping the entire fight.

Jenova definitely has the best music. But I didn't really care for the fight itself. It had that "defeat the small enemies before you can damage the boss" design that I dislike.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's the Rufus fight. Game actually forces you to think for once. Sephiroth fight was brain dead in comparison.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
All of them were incredible tbh. But if I had to choose, probably the Airbuster and Rufus. I also really like the laser strategy you had to use with The Valkyrie.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Rufus is so fucking cool.

Rufus had a great moveset, but the fact he was basically the FFVII version of a powergamer twink in D&D - "NUH UH, THAT DOESN'T HURT ME!" - really got on my nerves, especially until I got enough Limit gauge to massacre his stupid fucking dog and minimize some of the incoming damage.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rufus, because it's easily the best one on one fight in the game, and it's fun as hell. Music is great too, but that can be said about all the music (mostly).

I don't think there's a bad boss fight in the game, though some overstay their welcome (The Arsenal).

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Rufus and Darkstar. Not only it's really cool but it comes at the end of a very tiring chapter.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Rufus had a great moveset, but the fact he was basically the FFVII version of a powergamer twink in D&D - "NUH UH, THAT DOESN'T HURT ME!" - really got on my nerves, especially until I got enough Limit gauge to massacre his stupid fucking dog and minimize some of the incoming damage.
For some reason I managed to separate them and obliterate Darkstar very quickly with Punisher Mode on my first go. I need to see the fight again on hard mode.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised the 2nd fight with Abzu is in the poll. One of the more forgettable fights, in my opinion.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I love non-bullshit non-gimmick encounters.

Shiva solo was the best experience imo.

Hundred Gunner and Reno were also pretty great.

Somehow they really nailed those solo encounters.

Last edited:

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Rufus was the one fight i couldn't cheese. Hell House was fun at first but wayyyy too long.

I actually disliked the Jenova one because I was confused and I hate challenges lmao

Most of the bossfights were really fun though, and I'm someone who typically hates bossfights.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I like them all a lot, which it feels great to be able to say.

My favourite single moment is a silly one though lol - when you're fighting Reno and Rude and during a phase change Reno looks sadly at a pair of smashed sunglasses... And the camera reveals Rude just putting on another pair (they do the same dumb joke in his individual fight and it's great there too).

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, the Rufus fight really made me sit down & think what the hell to do. It was satisfying to get that instant stagger on him. Other than that, it's not in your poll, but Hell House is close 2nd just for the absolute absurdity of fighting a freaking house.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Rufus, really forced you to use the game's mechanics, especially on hard.

but fuck, the moment when "J-E-N-O-V-A" kicks in during the Jenova boss might be my favorite moment.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Man there are so many that I enjoyed. Biggest surprise is probably Hell House. But right along side that with Jenova.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Crab Warden fight was fine, but it had my favorite music in the entire game...

Quite possibly my favorite remix of the battle theme ever at 3:45.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Rufus for me. Dude has some moves and forces you to play defensively.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm waiting to go through hard mode. It seems from the scorpion that bosses get some new behavior. But I think hell house. I just love that they turned some of the weirder enemies into setpiece fights.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I loved how ridiculous the Hell House was. The announcers during that fight are also great (I like how they react to every single thing you do).

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn they were all so good,

But I really liked getting to swordfight Sephiroth, it's something I always wanted to do way back when I was a kid and watched my older brother beat FFVII but couldn't beat Sephiroth in KH.

I always felt having a one on one that wasn't an a easy boss fight was a missed opportunity in the original game so I was very elated with the tease in this game.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the Rufus and Darkstar fight even though I never got the full rhythm down for the second half. I mostly just had fun triple slashing him and the dog back and forth.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
So many good boss fights, not sure which one to pick. Guard Scorpion was my least favorite, even though it was cool to see how they really ramped it up compared to the original. The Valkyrie had some of the best music, Rufus was the most fun 1 on 1 fight. In the end, Jenova stole the show with the fight and the music combined. The third phase is one of the most memorable moments in the game.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Rufus was a really cool moment in the game. As was Jenova.

Hell House was kinda aggravating but it looked crazy and the announcers were great. I was grinning a lot during that one. lol

The initial swordfight part of taking on Reno and Sephiroth was pretty fun but I wasn't as into how those fights evolved

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally shouted "fuck yeah!" after finishing off Reno and Rude at the pillar, so that's near the top. And then I couldn't stop smiling during the Jenova fight, so that one too.

Absolutely hated Rufus after you took out his dog.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Rufus for me,It manages to do everything well,It mixes up the gameplay in a novel way with it starting off as a two versus one fight finishing as solo boss fight and having an interesting strategy. The presentation is top notch and the fight being a huge improvement from the original is also a huge plus in my book.