• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably create a ticket per day until it's patched on ps4.

UTbZdfN.png

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I always wondered why they added that stupid VERY BLURRY filter to the consoles version.... it's seriously VERY BLURRY!
Yeah, it's not good! I get the feeling they, for some reason, think people would prefer that to nearest-neighbor (blocky) upscaling. Like it's more "HD" or something.

Might also have something to do with the aspect ratio. The shape of a modern TV pixel isn't necessarily the same as an old CRT "pixel" from when the game came out. The aspect ratio of all the graphics could, say, wind up too skinny. So maybe they widened and blurred it, rather than just scaling it 3x/4x/whatever. Just a guess, though. The real reason is probably more laziness on their part.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Don't suppose you have what you sent them saved? We could make it a concentrated effort.

Strangely, it didn't send me a copy to the mail I filled, but it was something like "It was recently announced a patch for the music bug in the release of FF7 for Switch and Xbox One but we have no information for it for other platforms like PS4 that has the same bug since 2015 and it was well documented on sites like Kotaku.com. It's crazy that the same patch wasn't applied to all the systems so I request information for when it's going to be available for PS4".

I'm pretty sure someone can write something better.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
I always wondered why they added that stupid VERY BLURRY filter to the consoles version.... it's seriously VERY BLURRY!

The logic behind it is to simulate what the experience was like on CRTs. Not the best solution. I think the best solution is to use the original assets but allow the user to apply shaders over the entire image if that's what they want. The issue here really is taking away control from the user of what experience they want.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

UTbZdfN.png
I get that it needs to be fixed and signals be sent to Square Enix until they do it, but I don't think the same person filling up some poor customer service worker's queues with the same thing on a daily basis is going to do much good.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I get that it needs to be fixed and signals be sent to Square Enix until they do it, but I don't think the same person filling up some poor customer service worker's queues with the same thing on a daily basis is going to do much good.
Happy to spread the word though. I'll fill out a ticket. I did it for FFIX too.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So, is it worth getting it on Switch now? I don't want to bother with mods on Steam and I've never played FF7.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
Good timing on this since I literally just bought it Wednesday and was only an hour or 2 into it before downloading the patch.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
When Square cancels the N64 version of FF7 and puts it on PlayStation but 20 years later Nintendo has the definitive version of the game and Sony doesn't:

giphy.gif

Template to submit to Square for a PS4 patch

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Strangely, it didn't send me a copy to the mail I filled, but it was something like "It was recently announced a patch for the music bug in the release of FF7 for Switch and Xbox One but we have no information for it for other platforms like PS4 that has the same bug since 2015 and it was well documented on sites like Kotaku.com. It's crazy that the same patch wasn't applied to all the systems so I request information for when it's going to be available for PS4".

I'm pretty sure someone can write something better.

I tidied it up a little bit:

Today a patch released to fix the music bug for both the new versions of FFVII for Switch and Xbox One. However, we have received no information regarding fixing the same bug for platforms like PS4, which have been suffering from the same bug since the original launch in 2015. It's been well documented by sites like Kotaku.com, etc. It's quite anti-consumer that the same patch wasn't applied to all the systems so I and many others would like to be made aware of when it's going to be available for PS4. It's simply unfair that Square Enix persists in this trend of abandoning 'old' versions of games when there is a new version/port to promote on other platforms. Furthermore the PS4 version of FFIX also suffers from the same music bug, which to this day has not been patched.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
SE are complete and utter clods if they don't update every other version of the game thats bugged out. Does the mobile releases suffer from this junk? If so add 'em to the list!

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
So does this still have the issue where battle animations are 30fps? Because on PS1 the battle animations are 60fps. It makes a pretty huge difference. I'm all set with 30fps animations. It's pretty easy to tell the difference when you have played the PS1 version numerous times. I have the PS4 version and I absolutely can't stand playing it.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I quickly put together this comparison, if anyone's curious to see how the console ports stack up to the Steam version. No mods. The console versions have a blur filter applied to the pre-rendered backgrounds.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=946b4b10-78d7-11e9-8e74-0edaf8f81e27

EDIT: In case the link doesn't work:

Steam:
CKJuBtc.jpg

vs.

Consoles:
wKrR8AG.jpg
Don't forget about how the PC version can be modded for the most clear textures currently possible.
ff7modafk3q.jpg

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really tempted by this now.

I need to find reasons not to buy this.

..Do the characters have mouths like the PC version?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 no
FF9 yes (it had proper analog in ps1, but not current port)
Why did they go out of their way to remove something that was already in the game? I get FFVII not having (it never did) it but whats the excuse with IX that did? Because those who prefer using a keyboard would somehow struggle? Give the option at the very least.

I'm so upset at Square at their handling of these games. I demand a fix for the PS4 version I bought 4 years ago. I don't think I'm being entitled or unreasonable here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does this still have the issue where battle animations are 30fps? Because on PS1 the battle animations are 60fps. It makes a pretty huge difference. I'm all set with 30fps animations. It's pretty easy to tell the difference when you have played the PS1 version numerous times. I have the PS4 version and I absolutely can't stand playing it.
60FPS battle animations on PS1? LOL!!!! I wish!

On PS1 only the battle MENU below the action was 60 but the battle animation themselves were freaking 15FPS, my friend. The PC, PS4, Switch and X1 versions actually upgraded that 15FPS to 30. It was never 60.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not. It's really disgusting that Square Enix are literally ignoring PS4 users. Not even a mention.
Exactly. Had they acknowledge us by saying "PS4 patch coming later" that would've been enough. I get that the priority mightve been the X1 and Switch because they're newer (no excuse why this fix couldn't have come years ago to PS4 though), but they have to confirm its indeed coming.

Oct 27, 2017
Why did they go out of their way to remove something that was already in the game? I get FFVII not having (it never did) it but whats the excuse with IX that did? Because those who prefer using a keyboard would somehow struggle? Give the option at the very least.

I'm so upset at Square at their handling of these games. I demand a fix for the PS4 version I bought 4 years ago. I don't think I'm being entitled or unreasonable here.

I think FF9 is based off an ios port which didn't have analog and so they didn't bother to put it in the PS4 and later versions. Definitely some bullshit though and bothers me a lot more than the music bug. And yeah, they definitely need to patch the PS4 version.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We won!???!?!?!?!?!

Where are all the suckers of ERA who said that complaining would not change square??

YES!
Us PS4 owners have been waiting for this patch for almost 4 years. Switch and X1 owners have been waiting for what? A month? And we don't even know if this is coming to PS4 at all.

So no, we haven't won.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

UTbZdfN.png
I'm an idiot, could you explain to me where can I send this ticket?

EDIT: Nevermind I just figured it out, had to choose the e-mail option.

It wold be so easy to jst tweet out its coming. That would've appease us. Certainly would've worked on me.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps the PS4 patch is taking longer to get through Sony QA or something? Dunno.
Could be. Or maybe they had a different developer contracted to do the PS4 port, altogether, so it can't/won't be patched unless Sony makes them (like they did when players found a gamebreaking bug after its initial release).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps the PS4 patch is taking longer to get through Sony QA or something? Dunno.
My theory (or wishful thinking) was that Square put the patch for X1 and Switch on fast track because they're so recent and the sales are still hot from its release. PS4 version is almost 4 years old now so they can wait longer (if they're working on this patch AT ALL). Of course this doesn't excuse why they never fucking did this earlier for PS4 before these newer versions come out.

Its a very strange way to treat the Playstation 4 gamers, who probably have more fans that have been with you since the PS1, and to the lead platform of the high profile Remake of this very same game.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the better way to play: Switch version with this new patch, or PlayStation Classic?
Are you kidding? Even before the patch I would've gone with Switch (or PS4) but after patch its no contest: the Switch and X1 versions are not only better, they're the definitive editions. Us PS4 owners keep waiting to get upgraded to being definitive edition worthy... we'll see how that one works out.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I was literally reading about this yesterday to see if it was fixed and based on the responses it seemed like it'd never happen. Now I'll finally take the plunge and play my first FF game ever!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was literally reading about this yesterday to see if it was fixed and based on the responses it seemed like it'd never happen. Now I'll finally take the plunge and play my first FF game ever!
I hope you like it. FF7 is a landmark game for a reason. Dont abuse the boosters (except the 3x speed, go to town with that one) and sit back. Hopefully you're not too spoiled on the story at this point, its so good. The localization is far from Square's best work but you'll at least be playing the revised script. The PS1 original was embarrasing.