• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Playing the ps4 version.

Can anyone tell me what the fuck is up with the horizontal black bars?

So fucking stupid there is no option to change that.

THAT should be fixed.
You mean the bars on both sides of the screen? It's the same on the Switch, probably because the game was never developed with widescreen in mind, so the backgrounds and characters would only be stretched without those bars.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They should now patch an option to skip the mandatory Fort Condor mini game, hate that piece of crap that never seems to end.

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the bars on both sides of the screen? It's the same on the Switch, probably because the game was never developed with widescreen in mind, so the backgrounds and characters would only be stretched without those bars.

No, I'm talking about the horizontal bars. There are horizontal AND vertical bars. So the whole game is played in a black box.

Its fucking stupid. You can atleast fill the screen till it hits the top and bottom. I get the sides because its 4:3 or whatever.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not one to complain about this stuff, but that's some hefty bullshit that the PS4 version was ignored for 4 1/2 years about this issue by Square and still continues to be.
I'd buy it on Switch but that will be the 5th time I buy the game so F that.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe all the complaints actually worked in this case. But I'm so glad they did.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Can't say I expected this, glad it actually happened. I definitely hope FFIX gets patched too.

But man, yeah, patch all versions. Square Enix is just the worst when it comes to that kind of bullshit.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
People literally playing 'whataboutism' on behalf of SE to defend not patching this on PS4.

Fuck me, some of you never cease to amaze.

Jan 11, 2018
People literally playing 'whataboutism' on behalf of SE to defend not patching this on PS4.

Fuck me, some of you never cease to amaze.

Yeah, it's disgusting. There is no good excuse for Square Enix to ignore the people who have wanted a patch for this the longest. Literally years of complaining. And then Switch and Xbox One owners get their copies patched just a month after release. Like another user so eloquently put it already, Square Enix is flat out spitting in the faces of the people who bought it on PS4.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Read the thread title and assumed it was a homebrew hack, lol

Glad to see I was wrong and SE actually bothered to do the right thing.

They need to fix IX too though, that's the one I actually want to buy.

EDIT: wait no PS4 version is such bullshit, geez SE, they just had to fuck it up huh

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand: Yay! They fixed that bug!

On the other hand: No! That was pretty much my only excuse to save money and not buy FFVII.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. The people who have asked for this to be patched for almost four years now keep being ignored.
It really is ridiculous. People were complaining about the music bug in that version from day 1, too. I mean, I'm very happy the Switch version is patched, but I wasted my money on the PS4 one--which I've never played through, because of this.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It really is ridiculous. People were complaining about the music bug in that version from day 1, too. I mean, I'm very happy the Switch version is patched, but I wasted my money on the PS4 one--which I've never played through, because of this.

Same. Kept holding out for a patch for this and FF9 on PS4 before launching either. I should have never bothered buying.

So here I am debating a double dip on Switch.

Anyone know if FFX has any issues?

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While the bug never bothered me on ps4 that's just horseshit if they ignore fixing that version years later.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Same. Kept holding out for a patch for this and FF9 on PS4 before launching either. I should have never bothered buying.

So here I am debating a double dip on Switch.

Anyone know if FFX has any issues?

Probably exactly what they hope people are going to do. Personally, my Switch is 3rd in line for games after PS4/X so this is a pass but I probably won't be buying any Square games day 1 on any system for a long time after this constant shit they keep doing.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, it got mainstream press attention for the re release; and it looks like the Switch version sold super well. Basically keep yelling and I'm sure it'll be fixed in the end.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Probably exactly what they hope people are going to do. Personally, my Switch is 3rd in line for games after PS4/X so this is a pass but I probably won't be buying any Square games day 1 on any system for a long time after this constant shit they keep doing.
Between this and the DQ11 bullshit it's hard to want to support them on recent stuff.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Thing is, it got mainstream press attention for the re release; and it looks like the Switch version sold super well. Basically keep yelling and I'm sure it'll be fixed in the end.

This would be valid perhaps if they didn't also fix the Xbox version, but they did. I can't even imagine how much less it will sell on Xbox compared to any other system on Earth.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Honestly I'm probably just gonna wait for a sale on the Switch versions of VII and IX. It's bullcrap that the PS4 versions aren't getting patched.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet PS4 sits alone? What the actual fuck? Garbage trash eating assholes.

Ari-Gold-Get-The-Fuck-Out.gif

Square Enix are rising again.
Truly, they're barely grasping at almost meeting minimum standards for legacy titles now! Almost!

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017
Not gonna lie. I'm actually very upset about this in terms of no PS4 patch.
Now you know what Nintendo users feel like when they get shafted for the n-th time. Not a feeling people mainly playing on Playstation experience often relating to their platform of choice.
But yeah, it's pretty damn stupid. There's no reason for this update to not hit PlayStation 4 as well - even if it happens to come later on, not having this ready at the same time is really, really dumb and unnecessary and paints a very bad picture.