• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
And ended up with the inferior releases. FFX with its major music and rng bugs on disc, FXII getting better versions on literally every other format and the DQXI fiasco. Or World of Final Fantasy, which if you want to upgrade to Maxima is not only expensive but the Maxima DLC doesn't even include all DLC (and Japanese voices is still locked behind day one vouchers)... not to mention we're stuck with yet another outdated disc. And wouldn't you know, the new Chocobo game got an Asian English release, but only for Switch.

Sorry, but if there's one takeaway from all of this is that it's not worth supporting games from this company on day one. Better versions will always come out, a couple of years later at the most, on every other system. If you had bought all of these games at launch, you would feel like you'd gotten the short end of the stick too.
Well, that's the same with every timed exclusive on every platform isn't it?
It sure would be better if everything released at the same time for the same price with the same content.

If people keep buying those versions when they know it'll come enhanced later in the case of Square-Enix, I'm not sure what to say.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Official now, only on NSW/XB1:

Seriously??

tenor.gif

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty good port following this patch.

I guess my only big issue with it that remains is the forced bilinear filtering thing going on with the backgrounds.
Cool. There was a terrible PC port for it, wasn't there? Or am I misremembering? As long as the game looks and runs like the original, that's all I care about.

Arkain

Oct 27, 2017
Well then, I was have been looking at some outdated stuff. Now I have no reason to not buy the game again.

Just compared the unmodded Steam version I'm playing with footage from the PSX version of FFVII, and the music on PC is still different for that late-game flashback scene. Sorry, I honestly didn't realize that the wrong music was playing. It seemed to fit the scene pretty well.

So, yes, the Switch version is now closer to a "definitive" version than the Steam version.

Jan 11, 2018
Well, that's the same with every timed exclusive on every platform isn't it?
It sure would be better if everything released at the same time for the same price with the same content.

No one likes to feel like a beta tester though. The way this company has handled PS4 releases speaks to how much, or rather little, they care about their consumers. It's not one isolated case. It's pretty much every single game. Even console exclusives like Secret of Mana shipped as broken on disc. It would have been nice to have the additional feautures in DQXI and especially FFXII, and I really don't feel like same gen ports of ports should have exclusive content. But really, what makes it so infuriating is how most PS4 versions feel like test runs, full of bugs and glitches on day one making the physical media, if there is any, pointless... but then on top of that a lot of it just remains unpatched. But apparently, Square Enix can patch ports on other consoles.

Just compared the unmodded Steam version I'm playing with footage from the PSX version of FFVII, and the music on PC is still different for that late-game flashback scene. Sorry, I honestly didn't realize that the wrong music was playing. It seemed to fit the scene pretty well.

So, yes, the Switch version is now closer to a "definitive" version than the Steam version.

The blurry backgrounds is a bigger con by far, imo.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. There was a terrible PC port for it, wasn't there? Or am I misremembering? As long as the game looks and runs like the original, that's all I care about.
The original PC release wasn't so great (soundtrack was changed to something awful IIRC) but I'm pretty sure nowadays the release has been updated to parity with the other versions as well as having mods out the wazoo to make it even better in several ways.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS4 version still needs fixing, right?

And I'm ready to buy FFIX again once they fix that version too.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping this + the Chrono Trigger fixes last year means Square Enix is paying closer attention to the fan outcry for better classic game conservation

Now the question is how they'll inevitably port I-VI next.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to fix the other versions as well, I mean it's a bug.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm hoping this + the Chrono Trigger fixes last year means Square Enix is paying closer attention to the fan outcry for better classic game conservation

Now the question is how they'll inevitably port I-VI next.

They ignored PS4 owners complaining about this issue for the last four years. And now they're aware of it. But they don't even patch the PS4 version. What a fucking joke.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
No one likes to feel like a beta tester though. The way this company has handled PS4 releases speaks to how much, or rather little, they care about their consumers. It's not one isolated case. It's pretty much every single game. Even console exclusives like Secret of Mana shipped as broken on disc. It would have been nice to have the additional feautures in DQXI and especially FFXII, and I really don't feel like same gen ports of ports should have exclusive content. But really, what makes it so infuriating is how most PS4 versions feel like test runs, full of bugs and glitches on day one making the physical media, if there is any, pointless... but then on top of that a lot of it just remains unpatched. But apparently, Square Enix can patch ports on other consoles.

Funny thing is, I think the opposite. Everyone and their mother knows Square Enix is Sony's best friend since the PSX days. This is simply the con that comes with early releases + timed exclusivity. They prioritize releasing all of their catalog on Sony ecosystems ALL THE TIME. You talk about how they don't care about their consumers because they didn't patch FFVII for years. But think about it, it took the same amount of time for the game to even release on a Xbox or Nintendo console. You guys got to play the game before everyone else because SE treats PS4 consumers like kings. The reason why the late ports are usually better versions is because SE knows they have to incentivize Xbox/Nintendo consumers into getting them. They're unabashed about being Sony's best bud with their constant timed exclusives, console exclusives (PS4/PC), and console launch exclusives. But at the same time, they know that's not going to help them sell more copies on other platforms. It's funny you think you are treated like shit when SE gives EVERYTHING to PS4 owners.

You want version parity? Then don't support this type of practice. Don't buy SE games. As a result, this is will benefit EVERYONE. The less PS4 owners that support this, the more SE will turn to multi-platform releases. Without late ports, they won't have the need to release "enhanced versions" on other platforms at all. So put your money where your mouth is. I can't wait to see a day where SE treats all platforms equally. So do it.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is, I think the opposite. Everyone and their mother knows Square Enix is Sony's best friend since the PSX days. This is simply the con that comes with early releases + timed exclusivity. They prioritize releasing all of their catalog on Sony ecosystems ALL THE TIME. You talk about how they don't care about their consumers because they didn't patch FFVII for years. But think about it, it took the same amount of time for the game to even release on a Xbox or Nintendo console. You guys got to play the game before everyone else because SE treats PS4 consumers like kings. The reason why the late ports are usually better versions is because SE knows they have to incentivize Xbox/Nintendo consumers into getting them. They're unabashed about being Sony's best bud with their constant timed exclusives, console exclusives (PS4/PC), and console launch exclusives. But at the same time, they know that's not going to help them sell more copies on other platforms. It's funny you think you are treated like shit when SE gives EVERYTHING to PS4 owners.

You want version parity? Then don't support this type of practice. Don't buy SE games. As a result, this is will benefit EVERYONE. The less PS4 owners that support this, the more SE will turn to multi-platform releases. Without late ports, they won't have the need to release "enhanced versions" on other platforms at all. So put your money where your mouth is. I can't wait to see a day where SE treats all platforms equally. So do it.

LMAO this is a really bad post.

"it's your fault you bought their games for your platform of choice"

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Where did I say that? I guess my post really is bad because it apparently rotted your eyes and made you unable to read.

Edit: Just to shut up ones who might try to parrot his point. My post is about how laughable it is that a PS4 owner would accuse SE of playing favorites with other platforms. It has nothing about blaming people for buying games on their platform of choice.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Seems I get to post this again...Just to clear up any confusion: The music bug isn't just the overworld music restarting after battles. In all of these ports the music that plays during one of the most pivotal moments of the game relating to Cloud's past is a completely different track and ruins the climax of the scene. It's silly because it's been this way since the PC port and SE just hasn't cared.

Can anyone confirm whether this is one of the bugs that's been fixed?

SPOILERS:

In the original PS1 release of FF7, The Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII plays with a unique loop that eventually builds up to the moment Cloud throws Sephiroth into the mako pit. In the PC re-release, this unique loop is missing and the song reaches it's climax far too soon, causing the track Mako Reactor to play in its place.

Original music:
(Timestamp - 19:50)

PC Port:
(Timestamp: 5:30)

Jan 11, 2018
You talk about how they don't care about their consumers because they didn't patch FFVII for years.

Please.

PS4 owners have been complaining about this bug for years. Square Enix literally did nothing to fix it. Switch owners complain, and just a couple of months after they got the game suddenly there's a patch - but not for PS4 owners.

And it's almost like you didn't read my post. I clearly stated that the fact that games shipped broken or full of bugs on PS4 was a bigger problem than other platforms getting updated content.

It really is.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

You completely misread it. Supporting S-E's bad versions of games just lead them to get away with it.
Chrono Trigger was fixed on Steam because people have been vocal about it. It wasn't on mobile because people were like "oh well, it's a mobile game".

The post you quoted is really good and well detailed, but I guess you just skipped through it.

edit:
PS4 owners have been complaining about this bug for years. Square Enix literally did nothing to fix it. Switch owners complain, and just a couple of months after they got the game suddenly there's a patch - but not for PS4 owners.
The difference is that "ps4 owners" complained a bit at first, then just stopped.
I guess Nintendo owners are more used to complaining for a long time given how many times they get fucked with bad ports. Again, same with PC as seen above (well, Nier is the exception).

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You completely misread it. Supporting S-E's bad versions of games just lead them to get away with it.
Chrono Trigger was fixed on Steam because people have been vocal about it. It wasn't on mobile because people were like "oh well, it's a mobile game".

The post you quoted is really good and well detailed, but I guess you just skipped through it.

People has been asking for a PS4 fix for years, and at release they were really vocal about it. No surprises you are trying to spin this though agreeing with his post, really no surprises.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Seems I get to post this again...Just to clear up any confusion: The music bug isn't just the overworld music restarting after battles. In all of these ports the music that plays during one of the most pivotal moments of the game relating to Cloud's past is a completely different track and ruins the climax of the scene. It's silly because it's been this way since the PC port and SE just hasn't cared.

I don't recall this happening when I was playing in the Switch version when it first came out. It played the music just like the original

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
People has been asking for a PS4 fix for years, and at release they were really vocal about it. No surprises you are trying to spin this though agreeing with his post, really no surprises.
How is that "no surprise, really no surprises" exactly? And how is that a spin lol?
Jesus, the overreaction is strong there. You must live in an alternate reality to say that PS4 players are treated like shit by S-E, even less when it comes to Final Fantasy.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's so bad that you literally can't argue against it except make up your own quote to misrepresent my words. Genius.

Your post starts with "This is simply the con that comes with early releases + timed exclusivity." You don't need to be a fucking genius to see how stupid this is. It doesn't matter if the game was a temp. exclusive for PS4 in consoles, they have to fix it since it's a bug, it's not a new feature to sell the other versions.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

SPOILERS:

In the original PS1 release of FF7, The Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII plays with a unique loop that eventually builds up to the moment Cloud throws Sephiroth into the mako pit. In the PC re-release, this unique loop is missing and the song reaches it's climax far too soon, causing the track Mako Reactor to play in its place.

Original music:
(Timestamp - 19:50)

PC Port:
(Timestamp: 5:30)

I managed to find a Switch version longplay and it looks like they keep it like the original:

1:17:00 time stamp
https://youtu.be/yb9kp8gq_6g?list=PLsvKzct5-R6KZSYjl_npxZSKSmKee9UNZ&t=4654

What confuses me is this was filmed around the time of the Switch release, so what music is today's patch note referring to?

It also looks like the Switch version keeps Yuffie's theme when you first talk to her, gonna purchase this version definitely.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, PS4 owners have been complaining about this for years now. It's been out for like a month on Switch and they've not only already heard the Switch owners loud and clear but they still ignore PS4 owners!