• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It's free if you purchased the game. Doesn't seem scummy at all.

"Scummy" is that I spent $60 for Control and all of its DLC last March, but because I didn't buy the then unavailable "Ultimate" edition, I'm expected to pay an additional $40 for the PS5 upgrade. THAT is scummy.
It's kind of the same, really. Game Pass has Control which doesn't upgrade to Series X/S. In both cases, I had the option of playing at 30fps for free* or paying however much money for effectively a framerate cap removal. It's hard to justify paying a full price for a framerate/graphical improvement if I already have access to the older version.

Mar 4, 2021
Berlin, Germany
there is no fee. the upgrade is free for owners of the Disc or digital versions. but since you have the plus version, which has no upgrade path, you'd have to buy the whole thing.
It was only mentioned the PS+ isn't eligible for the free update. Leaves the possibility open for a paid upgrade.
Locking the PS+ version out of playing the DLC without buying the whole thing leaves imho a lot of money on the table.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
One thing I have noticed is that they seem to have removed hit-stop during Cloud's attack, and the parry during punisher mode as well.

PS4:
46Q7oqq.gif

Cloud's final hit during his regular combo used to have small hit-stop

PS5
Qn6Pqoo.gif

the hit-stop seems to be gone so it's more fluid I guess?

Also Punisher mode parry is super quick now.
MYLdiac.gif

EDIT: It's interesting that JP version of the trailer doesn't have hit-stop, while English version do? I guess it's still WIP.

I like that hit stop action too. Feels more like a 'critical hit' in some ways. Not a deal breaker for me, but it's flashy, which I liked.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to replaying this on PS5 but that fog looks like it washes out all the areas it's in and a lot of detail is lost.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Really liking those improvements. Even though it's unlikely, I hope they ditch the PS4 for the future FF7R episodes.

I think this is why the Yuffie Episode is the segway to that and not being on PS4. It's a little odd in some ways just to have part 1 on PS4 only (if that ends up being the case anyway), but I'm fine with whatever happens.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of the same, really. Game Pass has Control which doesn't upgrade to Series X/S. In both cases, I had the option of playing at 30fps for free* or paying however much money for effectively a framerate cap removal. It's hard to justify paying a full price for a framerate/graphical improvement if I already have access to the older version.
Is it the same? I paid full price for Control and it's DLC and I'm not getting an upgrade. In what scenario could you have bought FFVII remake and not get the upgrade?

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Can't wait. Never played a FF before, so FF:7R will be my first foray into the series. Graphically, I'm honestly surprised a lot of what is shown to be PS4 footage was even possible on last-gen hardware in the first place.

Lighting, and textures are pretty big improvements for PS5, despite the increased fog in some of those sections seemingly taking away from some of the detail. However, I'm sure onscreen in my living room it will look absolutely incredible on my LG OLED. With a lot of the details in fog showing their nuance.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the same? I paid full price for Control and it's DLC and I'm not getting an upgrade. In what scenario could you have bought FFVII remake and not get the upgrade?
Ah yeah, Control certainly sucks more if you bought it before. Both suck similarly if gotten via subscription.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna 100% the shit out of this game thanks to save transfers 🙏How challenging is hard mode?? Am I in for a rude awakening

No, I'm on chapter 13 and so far it has been easier than the 1st playthrough, the lack of itens doesn't bother me since I didn't use them that much in normal mode in the first place.

That said make sure to equip 2 HP materia so your health is on the 7k+ range since enemies do more damage, and ofc Chakra materia so you don't have to use MP to heal in general.

Also if you equip the EXP materia you'll easily reach lvl 50 (max) in the first 3-4 chapters since you get a lot of EXP in hard mode, I was surprised by how quick it was.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a performance and quality mode, I wonder if the DLC will have the same options or since its PS5 only will it be rendering differently? If its the same engine it will be odd to exclude the PS4, but I hope they utilize the PS5!

It's gonna support the settings. You can see from the trailer footage with Yuffie and Sonon fighting that it's 60FPS.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Am I seeing things or does the upgrade cost money in Japan? The Japanese trailer has what looks like a 100 Yen fee, while the English trailer says free. Interesting. Anyways, looking forward to replaying it and get that best girl Yuffie DLC!

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The lighting upgrade is nice and the fog too. Will check it out since it's a free upgrade (bought the game).

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
To confirm I should download PS4 version on my PS5 for the save transfer feature on a patch then delete it and install PS5 version?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I have noticed is that they seem to have removed hit-stop during Cloud's attack, and the parry during punisher mode as well.

PS4:
46Q7oqq.gif

Cloud's final hit during his regular combo used to have small hit-stop

PS5
Qn6Pqoo.gif

the hit-stop seems to be gone so it's more fluid I guess?

Also Punisher mode parry is super quick now.
MYLdiac.gif

EDIT: It's interesting that JP version of the trailer doesn't have hit-stop, while English version do? I guess it's still WIP.
No hit stop would be disappointing. Hit stop really enhances the sense of impact. A faster Punisher Mode counter would be great though.

Oh you're right! The gif removes it, it's still completely there in the trailer!
Whew, that's good.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The fog almost makes some scenes look worse, but I love the fps bump and the texture and lighting quality are nice. Loading times are a massive improvement, as expected!

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I think the difficult question to answer still is whether I can purchase FF7R later digitally in order to qualify for this upgrade if I redeem the game via PS+ now. It seems like the consensus is no I am locked from ever being able to purchase FF7R digitally but I just want to double confirm that here if anybody got knowledge on this. Maybe I get the game now and play bits of it and decided later that I like it enough to buy it digitally for the Yuffie DLC or those other graphical updates. It would be a shamed if that's locked away forever because of PS+.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd totally pay a $20 "upgrade fee" to go from my PS+ version to Intergrade...but paying full price? Nah.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Anyone know when the Yuffie DLC will be available for pre-order? my PS5 menu screen constantly taunts inter grade (it's literally to the right of the splash screen) but it's all currently listed as unavailable as I have the digital version installed.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know when the Yuffie DLC will be available for pre-order? my PS5 menu screen constantly taunts inter grade (it's literally to the right of the splash screen) but it's all currently listed as unavailable as I have the digital version installed.
Only after you install Intergrade

SquareEnix said:
available for purchase after upgrading to the PlayStation 5 version

SquareEnix said:
After downloading the content to your system, the new episode featuring Yuffie is playable immediately through the PlayStation 5 version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE title menu. For new players of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE it is recommended to play the main campaign first, although not required.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
No, I'm on chapter 13 and so far it has been easier than the 1st playthrough, the lack of itens doesn't bother me since I didn't use them that much in normal mode in the first place.

That said make sure to equip 2 HP materia so your health is on the 7k+ range since enemies do more damage, and ofc Chakra materia so you don't have to use MP to heal in general.

Also if you equip the EXP materia you'll easily reach lvl 50 (max) in the first 3-4 chapters since you get a lot of EXP in hard mode, I was surprised by how quick it was.
It gets easier as you go through it. Ironically Scorpion Sentinel was one of the hardest bosses for me on the hard run. You have to think much more strategically since you can't use items or recover MP during a chapter (outside of mako shards).
It's fairly tough, mostly due to a particularly brutal elimination of a certain battle option.

Nice, sounds like quite the adjustment in the early-game! Should be manageable though, no items should make combat interesting 🤔 thanks for the breakdown

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
The good part is the 60 FPS and loading times. Other than that, I'm not a fan of all that fog they implemented

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Why the video is still in 1080p quality just why? Wer can't admire anything added this way.

Also: https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-had-a-dedicated-tea-1846522539/

An entire team dedicated to lighting and still no RT? So surprising. They could even have included hybrid RT for the best of the world if they have such dedicated team but they still chose last-gen lighting for whatever reason.
Maybe they are partnering with Nvidia again for the inevitable PC release. Though even in that case, future games having RT should be a forgone conclusion (I think) so they have to be working on their own implementation.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Also they still didn't specifiy whether you can be eligible to free PS5 version after buying the Deluxe Upgrade for the PS Plus version of the game before the promotion ends.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they are partnering with Nvidia again for the inevitable PC release. Though even in that case, future games having RT should be a forgone conclusion (I think) so they have to be working on their own implementation.
UE4 has quite the comprehensive RT solution out of the box. if anything, I can see some of Nvidia's cross-platform additions making it in like their RTXGI and their denoising solution

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Nice, sounds like quite the adjustment in the early-game! Should be manageable though, no items should make combat interesting 🤔 thanks for the breakdown

Just one thing, you still recover MP during battles automatically. It's a slow process but some weapons have 50% faster MP regeneration and others give you MP when you take big amounts of damage. So far I didn't have any problems with lacking MP.

I think early game should be much easier compared to normal because you have 8-10 slots for materia and also all abilities unlocked.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Also they still didn't specifiy whether you can be eligible to free PS5 version after buying the Deluxe Upgrade for the PS Plus version of the game before the promotion ends.
The deluxe edition is something completely different, I don't see why it'd be assumed that that acts the same way as an upgrade path when all it does it give some DLC, a mini-soundtrack, and an artbook.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I don't mind part 2 having the exact same graphics quality as long as I play it at smooth 60 fps because the difference between the ps4 version and the ps5 version is night and day.