• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I backed off is to not get too heated. Don't start getting mad at others if they disagree if a change is good/big/etc or not. Even if people hate its, its not like they are calling to cancel the game or throwing tantrums over it

Though even I will be upset if they do something more major changes like Red XIII not being in the game at all or keeping characters alive for no reason. I would even be miffed if Avalanche survives the plate fall

So I get why people are upset. I don't agree over it. But its not right to just call them children for being passionate. If they start harassing or berating then sure

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this.

I mean in the context of the original game, the change is a bit dumb. It still won't change the fact that AVALANCHE will think they are responsible for this so the impact on the characters will likely be the same. So why make the change in the first place?

Maybe because whatever they're trying to do here will be picked on at a later time with other new events that will build to another plot point in the rest of Part 1/the next episodes? (Like, the Wutai stuff in a previous trailer?)

All I'm saying is, we should'nt jump to conclusion and dismiss it as stupid without the whole context of the change.

I mean, because there is a difference between the group of heroes thinking they did something versus actually being the ones that did something.

I'm going to wait to see how the entirety plays out. With Midgar being expanded to be a 30-40 hour experience, who knows where they go and what else they imply. As of right now, it doesn't diminish my excitement for the game in the slightest.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Word of warning, the demo is being datamined, there are things in the data outside of the demo, locations, abilities, weapons, minigames etc.

If you planned to go on blackout, now is the time

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, best way to live life is this folks. "Dont give a fuck about what others think if you like said thing, and let them hate said thing and that's fine if they do, because if they hate it, that shouldn't stop you from liking it"
C'mon now. Everybody knows that people that like "something" want EVERYBODY ELSE in the world to LIKE THAT THING too, and when someone is critical of said thing, it's "HOW DARE YOU not like this thing as much as I DO! How DARE you criticize the thing I LIKE! STOP BRINGING THE ENERGY DOWN, even if your complaints are valid, shut up and get out of the thread. Get out of MY thread, because it's a thread about a thing I LIKE, so it's MY THREAD!!!!"

I'm gonna reserve judgment until I play the full game (well the full Part 1 anyway) but I'm not gonna lie I don't love that change at all.
That's where I stand. Episode 1 is going to be the test on whether I continue on into further Episodes past Midgar or drop out of the remake altogether.

Word of warning, the demo is being datamined, there are things in the data outside of the demo, locations, abilities, weapons, minigames etc.

Think we're gonna get a leak in the vein of FFXV? That one was depressing. Dude was leaking EVERYTHING that happened in that game. Square must've been pissed!

Last edited:

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
I mean, because there is a difference between the group of heroes thinking they did something versus actually being the ones that did something.

I'm going to wait to see how the entirety plays out. With Midgar being expanded to be a 30-40 hour experience, who knows where they go and what else they imply. As of right now, it doesn't diminish my excitement for the game in the slightest.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the change either but everything still looks great so I'm like... trying to put a little more faith in what they are about to write.

Also, I re-played FFVII not so long ago and that whole part felt off. Jesse was surprised that her little artisanal bomb did so much damage... I picked it up as a hint that it might not have been their bomb in the first place but the game never spoke about this again. For all we know, it was the writer's original intent all along but they were not able to pull it off in the original.

Oct 30, 2017

Quick Square! Release the whole game now instead of March.

What a sad way for you're game to be put out there. To see people dissect your game before it even out.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Shinra blowing up the reactor themselves seems like an attempt to shy away from placing responsibility on the protagonists for what is an act of terrorism (which, to be clear, I think is an interesting aspect of the original). It also seems like it'll soften the blow of the plate fall which will seem very expected if Shinra is already doing this sort of thing.

As for Aeris being haunted by supernatural beings, my main concern is that it turns her into a stereotypical magical princess of an ancient forgotten race. The fact that everything about Aeris seems so mundane in the original is part of what is so interesting about the world. If she starts glowing and exhibiting supernatural abilities it's going to change something fundamental about the world and its presentation.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are some more stuff out in the wild in terms of file folders (weapons, minigames, spells) it seems from a Reddit post, don't know the legitimacy of them but the source is from a twitter account.

EDIT: I just put reddit post instead of linking the twitter so no one accidentally presses it, can be stuff from the full game in there. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/eimmik/friendly_warning_beware_of_the_calamity_demo/
I guess we should know sooner rather than later if Red XIII is playable or not.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
I REALLY hope this doesn't mean we get a sanitized
trail of blood. That would be the equivalent of replacing the guns with walkie-talkies in the newer ET rerelease
That's just a given. Realistically, a scene like that in 4k would end up looking like something out of RE2RE or Nzo ya Badiabulu, but there's no way they maintain a 16+ rating with that.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if many people will be able to play the demo now on any hacked PS4 then Square just really should release it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Probably shouldn't link the url here but lol what a disaster for Square

Well, maybe not a massive disaster. Substantial fuck up at least

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick Square! Release the whole game now instead of March.

What a sad way for you're game to be put out there. To see people dissect your game before it even out.
Which is why I don't know why they bother releasing a demo, game is going to sell bucketloads without one. People datamine everything the second something is released. Which can be interesting at time's but also can cause controversy from out of context leaks, that later end up being untrue or way out of context.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ditch the Mako Reactor theme?

edit: Good, they didn't. Wow this is a lot longer than the raid in the original.

Oct 28, 2017
One of the first things you can do in Tifa's bar is talk to Jesse and she's distraught and wondering if she made the bomb the wrong way because of the destruction...there are multiple convos throughout the game about whether the ends justify the means and Barret specifically gets called out for the bombing later in the narrative when he's grandstanding about Shinra.

It's always best not to take the "bite" out of a narrative.

This thread is like Patient-Zero of 'why Square didn't want to touch FF7' for as long as they did.

None of us have played FF7Remake. Oh we've played FF7. But we don't know that those lines, those plot beats those interactions even EXIST in this new game. So everyone saying "this new bit of plot doesn't jive with the rest of the story" as if they know how this is all going to come into play is exhausting.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
You'd think someone over there at Sony or SE would say something.......right? And think everyone needs to just put aside everything you know about FF7's story and look at this Remake as a complete retelling with some familiar story beats we already know. Y'all are just beating yourself up over nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Shinra blowing up the reactor themselves seems like an attempt to shy away from placing responsibility on the protagonists for what is an act of terrorism (which, to be clear, I think is an interesting aspect of the original). It also seems like it'll soften the blow of the plate fall which will seem very expected if Shinra is already doing this sort of thing.

As for Aeris being haunted by supernatural beings, my main concern is that it turns her into a stereotypical magical princess of an ancient forgotten race. The fact that everything about Aeris seems so mundane in the original is part of what is so interesting about the world. If she starts glowing and exhibiting supernatural abilities it's going to change something fundamental about the world and its presentation.

I could see a Japanese writing team not quite grasping what would be controversial or not in the States (most Americans can't quite figure that out) - so they might have pulled away from that in a post- 9/11 America. However, in the original - Shinra had those intentions and did that with the plate fall, so the remake is just laying the foundtion for that earlier.

Also, in the original - Jesse does remark that she doesn't understand why the explosion was so big, saying that she "maybe made a miscalculation somewhere" - the game never really follows up with this. The remake, consequently, is basically saying that Jesse's bomb was fine, but the larger explosion ended up happening because Shinra wanted it to be more destructive.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Wait it's Shinra who did it in the remake? For real?

That's literally half of Barret's character arc up in smokes.

I need to see the demo now

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna know things pointing towards there being a lot of shit to do and it not just being a cinematic version of FF7's Midgar section with some extra story bits.

Not gonna believe "expanded on Midgar" until we actually see what this means.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is a 10GB demo out of a 70+GB game so even if Red's stuff isn't in the demo files it doesn't mean he's not playable

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna play this if anyone has any specific requests

Not sure what is available in the demo magic wise etc. Would love to know what might be possible with the combat system.

If possible what happens to enemies when launched into the air if hit by magic or barret's shots. Do they float briefly, indicating some juggle properties or just drop to the ground even when hit in the air

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The silence from SE is pretty weird, you think you'd at least want to give a demo release date