• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That change is trash but it was expected to see stuff like that so it doesn't surprise me. I bet it won't be the only one.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they don't fuck with Seto I won't be angry with any of these changes. This reactor change is still dumb as fuck but I'll get over it. Changing one of my favourite scenes in the entire series though would be unforgivable.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's funny that a little change like this is causing so many people to flip out, but they're fine with Aerith being haunted by ghosts.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Oh, yeah, that was amazingly dealt with in the original. Jessie fucked up and as a consequence dies off screen. Can't imagine why they wanted to change that. And actually, I don't see how this change the moral ambiguity of their act, they were still completely irresponsible.

The amount of hate in this topic is actually hilarious.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely going to have zero patience for people complaining about every change come release. I'll get perma-banned. Obviously the game won't be perfect but some people are just really quick to jump to the worst conclusions and be negative as fuck. It's obvious that some people are in "bitch eating crackers" mode when it comes to this game.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly why Square didn't want to remake the game for the longest time, because any tiny change is going to cause outrage and "this isn't my FFVII" sentiments. I'm just looking at this as its own game and I'll decide how it compares to the original once I can play the whole thing.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why Square didn't want to remake the game for the longest time, because any tiny change is going to cause outrage and "this isn't my FFVII" sentiments. I'm just looking at this as its own game and I'll decide how it compares to the original once I can play the whole thing.
My point is a change is a change. If people don't care about a big change like those ghost things, why throw a hissy fit over something small like this?
The change we are discussing isn't small at all. All they had to do was not make the change... and they did. It was so easily avoidable.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely going to have zero patience for people complaining about every change come release. I'll get perma-banned. Obviously the game won't be perfect but some people are just really quick to jump to the worst conclusions and be negative as fuck. It's obvious that some people are in "bitch eating crackers" mode when it comes to this game.
If I was able to take on everything Era said about Shenmue 3, trust me you'll be ok, lol

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The change we are discussing isn't small at all. All they had to do was not make the change... and they did. It was so easily avoidable.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on it being small, but I have a feeling if you think that's not small then you'll be fuming about other changes they make.

Anyway I think I'm going to stay away from these topics in the future, too much negativity for something basically no one can play yet.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they still cant feel bad about all the ground troopers they kill along the way, or the fact that bomb would still kill people regardless. They should still feel bad about intent regardless of whose bomb actually worked because the same damage would have happened regardless.

Last edited:

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

I kind of agree with this but I still don't like that conclusion but everything else was fantastic.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Oh, really now. Let's not go singing to the tune of ""FF fans are purist and never happy" already. Everyone expected change and even silly ones aren't at all surprising.

The new reactor twist is stupid, period, but I think (hopefully) the bigger changes that actually improve one the uneven original material should make up for it. Given the scope of this game, surely, there will be more positive things to look forward to, right?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The discourse around this game was always gonna be like this, I guess. People who have issues with it will be painted as unreasonable purists or something, no matter how valid the criticisms are.

I'm still really looking forward to the game, but the wave of unabashed optimism is gone.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The discourse around this game was always gonna be like this, I guess. People who have issues with it will be painted as unreasonable purists or something, no matter how valid the criticisms are.

I'm still really looking forward to the game, but the wave of unabashed optimism is gone.
Yep exactly this. Its already been happening in most of the threads when anyone raises concerns about changes IE "you just wanted a 1 to 1 remake!".

Those people are going to have a very long long year if they can't handle valid concerns and criticism of this game.

(I'm also really looking forward to the game as well)

One thing that irks me is that people discusing changes they see as a negative, somehow deprives others of enjoyment of the game. Like if you think the change does nothing or actually improves the game...isn't it better for you? Why being pissed people are looking at changes and dissecting it why they don't like it?
Its the same in every topic where this happens, because people need to feel validated.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that irks me is that people discusing changes they see as a negative, somehow deprives others of enjoyment of the game. Like if you think the change does nothing or actually improves the game...isn't it better for you? Why being pissed people are looking at changes and dissecting it why they don't like it?

Also is not about wanting a 1 on 1 remake, but just hoping they keep some key themes of the game, not against any addition or any changes that improves the original.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Do I think the change is dumb and pointless, absolutely. Do I think it matters at all or makes a difference on the overall scope of the game. Also not really. That's how I feel.

I just don't recall me playing this game the many times I've played it and thinking that these were some anti heroes. I never gave much thought to it at all. To me the whole intro is just stage setting and them blowing it up vs someone else doing it didn't impact what comes after much at all.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, best way to live life is this folks. "Dont give a fuck about what others think if you like said thing, and let them hate said thing and that's fine if they do, because if they hate it, that shouldn't stop you from liking it"

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The original Platefall plot point never made much sense without a larger motive.
Do everything you can to stop a terror group from blowing up your reactors, only to use their existence as a motive to
.. Kill one eighth of your customers? They barely even raise Mako rates enough to compensate for the loss.

This plot makes far more sense, and I don't think Avalanche looks a whole lot better in the end. They're still terrorists, they still kill a lot of people. And from what scenes we've seen thus far, they still feel the weight of their actions. Most importantly, it's highly unlikely Shinra blows up their own reactors without using Avalanche as a patsy, and now they get to feel the weight of possibly tipping off a second Wutai War by falling into a trap.

The change is meant to make Shinra look way worse in the near term, where you don't really get the sense of just how fucked up they are other than through Barret's preaching until they inexplicably decide to execute Platefall.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I can only speak for myself, but I have, so far, been only positive on this game. Everything we had seen and heard up to now was music to my ears. This is really the first time I am very negative on an aspect of the game.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Looks glorious, but I can't be the only one that utterly despises the stupid REMAKE title plastered all over the title. They pulled the same crap with FF8 REMASTERED. :(

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

We have to see how it actually matters to the rest of the story and what the rationale is in game before going overboard

If there is a possibility that its actually an explanation given in game, in context, that isnt just covered by the Demo, then it makes sense to say "wait until the game comes out before being overdramatic and saying this and that doesnt make sense/the game is ruined"

*EDITED POST*

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original Platefall plot point never made much sense without a larger motive.
Do everything you can to stop a terror group from blowing up your reactors, only to use their existence as a motive to
.. Kill one eighth of your customers? They barely even raise Mako rates enough to compensate for the loss.

This plot makes far more sense, and I don't think Avalanche looks a whole lot better in the end. They're still terrorists, they still kill a lot of people. And from what scenes we've seen thus far, they still feel the weight of their actions. Most importantly, it's highly unlikely Shinra blows up their own reactors without using Avalanche as a patsy, and now they get to feel the weight of possibly tipping off a second Wutai War by falling into a trap.

The change is meant to make Shinra look way worse in the near term, where you don't really get the sense of just how fucked up they are other than through Barret's preaching until they inexplicably decide to execute Platefall.

Made sense because:
They wanted to make Neo Midgar in the promised land, so they didn't care because those people are poor and the area dosn't have much comercial value to them. That's why they use Avalanche as a scapegoat. It was very cool that they used this group that was doing damage to them to make even more money are furthering reinforce their control over the world.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, who is ok with Aerith's ghosts? Most reacted negatively to that.

The change is dumb. We're allowed to dislike things.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone else being mad about plot presentation changes (I argue the plot hasn't been changed by this -- they have only portrayed existing plot points in a more transparent fashion), but my main takeaway from the demo is...

...whoever is playing this is really bad at it. It's so frustrating to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna reserve judgment until I play the full game (well the full Part 1 anyway) but I'm not gonna lie I don't love that change at all.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine calling people childish for having a valid conversation about the footage and not about the people constantly complaining about the tone of a conversation not matching up with what they would prefer.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do I think the change is dumb and pointless, absolutely. Do I think it matters at all or makes a difference on the overall scope of the game. Also not really. That's how I feel.

I just don't recall me playing this game the many times I've played it and thinking that these were some anti heroes. I never gave much thought to it at all. To me the whole intro is just stage setting and them blowing it up vs someone else doing it didn't impact what comes after much at all.
One of the first things you can do in Tifa's bar is talk to Jesse and she's distraught and wondering if she made the bomb the wrong way because of the destruction...there are multiple convos throughout the game about whether the ends justify the means and Barret specifically gets called out for the bombing later in the narrative when he's grandstanding about Shinra.

It's always best not to take the "bite" out of a narrative.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have an opinion on the change until I know how it fits the rest of the story. If they're willing to make it in the first place, chances are, there's probably other changes that help it make more sense idk.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Cloud's base combo in Operator mode comparison
The one without the HUD is from E3, the one with the HUD is the new demo.

h7MmZ8S.gif

Max dood mentioned that Cloud alsso has delay based combos like in Devil May Cry.

But the person playing is mashing square like the world was gonna end in 2020 so fuck if we're going to ever see it.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
See, SE? The crowd has turned against you. They're tearing each other apart over bombs and ghosts. Release the demo immediately and apologize for taking so long or you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.

Deleted member 53268

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Guys... It's just the beginning of the game. You don't know the flow of the events in the context of a bigger picture. Just wait and see. Gosh, and this is just the demo.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
Don't really have an opinion on the change until I know how it fits the rest of the story. If they're willing to make it in the first place, chances are, there's probably other changes that help it make more sense idk.

Yep, this.

I mean in the context of the original game, the change is a bit dumb. It still won't change the fact that AVALANCHE will think they are responsible for this so the impact on the characters will likely be the same. So why make the change in the first place?

Maybe because whatever they're trying to do here will be picked on at a later time with other new events that will build to another plot point in the rest of Part 1/the next episodes? (Like, the Wutai stuff in a previous trailer?)

All I'm saying is, we should'nt jump to conclusion and dismiss it as stupid without the whole context of the change.