• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please understand.

Nope, seriously. Distant worlds was fantastic, what happened here?

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
Aren't the KH concerts produced by WildFaery as well? I thought those were decently produced. I wonder if there was a licensing issue with this concert that didn't get resolved in time.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
They have a whole full symphony from symphonic fantasies. I'm pretty sure it's three full movements.

I totally forgot about those. Their website does say the arrangements are exclusive however.

Final Symphony is an officially licensed series of concerts featuring symphonic music from the video games FINAL FANTASY VI, VII and X. The exclusive arrangements are penned by Masashi Hamauzu, Jonne Valtonen and Roger Wanamo.

From my understanding, the Symphonic Fantasies concerts are quite different from Distant Worlds. I do hope they expand outside of Europe eventually.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I went to Distant Worlds 2018 in LA. Artie Roth was the conductor and I thought it was just phenomenal.

My SO and I got tickets for both the KHO and FF7 concerts and we're super excited. KHO was fantastic—they put a lot of thought and time into the set list and I def cried.

We drove to FF7 today, super excited: as soon as the midi started playing, my heart sank. There were segments of like 14 mins of just mini with the orch just in the dark. I expected more from Artie Roth, and after how great KHO was more of Le Fe Savage or whatever the name of the company was. It was okay but absolutely disappointing to just sit there watching a video of the game with the original audio. Also there were almost no new compositions...like everything was from distant worlds....

Also the "exclusive trailer" was super short and no new substantial info other than the release date :/

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep posting that Sephiroth midi? I really doubt that was one of the songs they played in midi form, as they'd have a choir and whatnot for that. And are you sure that's the quality of the music, I thought that was from the first PC release.

Does anyone have any examples of actual songs Midified at the concert?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the KH concerts produced by WildFaery as well? I thought those were decently produced. I wonder if there was a licensing issue with this concert that didn't get resolved in time.

Yo, if Square can't even get the rights to their own concert, the fact we even saw two songs in Smash Bros is Herculean effort.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot about those. Their website does say the arrangements are exclusive however.
From my understanding, the Symphonic Fantasies concerts are quite different from Distant Worlds. I do hope they expand outside of Europe eventually.

It also doesn't look like they had a large ensemble. The Symphonic Fantasies arrangements are for a BIG orchestra.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Distant Worlds 2018 in LA. Artie Roth was the conductor and I thought it was just phenomenal.

My SO and I got tickets for both the KHO and FF7 concerts and we're super excited. KHO was fantastic—they put a lot of thought and time into the set list and I def cried.

We drove to FF7 today, super excited: as soon as the midi started playing, my heart sank. There were segments of like 14 mins of just mini with the orch just in the dark. I expected more from Artie Roth, and after how great KHO was more of Le Fe Savage or whatever the name of the company was. It was okay but absolutely disappointing to just sit there watching a video of the game with the original audio. Also there were almost no new compositions...like everything was from distant worlds....

Also the "exclusive trailer" was super short and no new substantial info other than the release date :/

I'm shocked to hear that he was conducting. Money is money, but events like this will make people question his own DW concerts in the future.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
There sure is a lot of hyperbole in this thread. The in-game audio segments were a little strange, especially the first time, and the Compilation of FF7 bits were plain unnecessary, but very few of those tracks would have made for interesting live performances, so it's not like we were really missing out on anything (though I would have liked to see them try Crazy Motorcycle live). Otherwise they played most everything you would expect from a VII concert and then some. All told, I think they felt they had to pad because there are only so many unique interesting performances you can get out of one game, even one with as great a soundtrack as VII.

Personally the only other missing track I would have liked to hear them do would have been Birth of a God.

Last edited:

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Why do people keep posting that Sephiroth midi? I really doubt that was one of the songs they played in midi form, as they'd have a choir and whatnot for that. And are you sure that's the quality of the music, I thought that was from the first PC release.

Does anyone have any examples of actual songs Midified at the concert?

Aerith's theme was played twice in midi form before finally getting a full version. a lot of the map music was in midi form that I don't know the name of off the top of my head...

One Winged Angel wasn't.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'm seeing tweets saying the orchestra was playing along with some of the video scenes, so it's not all bad

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm seeing tweets saying the orchestra was playing along with some of the video scenes, so it's not all bad
There were both. Like the scene where Cloud meets Aeris with the slow version of her theme? That was the in-game track. The actual performance of Aeris' theme came later, around the end of Disc 1 (the show was structured like a full play through of the game).

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
As I posted earlier, it fucking sucked.

- Over half the concert we were sitting there watching scenes from the game while midi from the game played
- Half of the actual live music was solo piano
- None of the arrangements were new and even the main theme from FF was based on the FFVIII version LOL

Very disappointed.

There sure is a lot of hyperbole in this thread. The in-game audio segments were a little strange, especially the first time, and the Compilation of FF7 bits were plain unnecessary, but very few of those tracks would have made for interesting live performances, so it's not like we were really missing out on anything (though I would have liked to see them try Crazy Motorcycle live). Otherwise they played most everything you would expect from a VII concert and then some. All told, I think they felt they had to pad because there are only so many unique interesting performances you can get out of one game, even one with as great a soundtrack as VII.

Personally the only other missing track I would have liked to hear them do would have been Birth of a God.

Conflicting reports it seems.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Sound like the Distant Worlds concert in London was the superior event. The entire second half of the concert was FFVII. No Midi involved.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I hope everyone gets refunds. WildFaery was ok for us in the 2017 KH concert so I dunno why they dropped the ball here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
That's nuts, because their concert series are normally great.
I went to Distant Worlds II when it came to Atlanta and it was amazing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I can't tell if this is an exaggeration or not. I've been to both a FF Distant Worlds concert and the Kingdom Hearts one last year, both were outstanding. I skipped out on this one and regretted doing so, but now I'm reading it was THAT bad? But there are also conflicting reports of folks saying it was great. Maybe I dodged a bullet but maybe it's not as bad as the post in the op is claiming it was.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I have been to every single final fantasy concert in Chicago since 2005 with Dear Friends. Been to VGL, Zelda multiple times, both KH shows, overworld, and Intimate music. This was 100% the weakest show they have ever done.

That said, I still enjoyed it. The problem with the original OST moments is they they were simply too long. They were successful when they were used as transition moments but that only really happened at the end. The start of the show was super strong but then they played OG music after that for just far too long for comfort.

If you have all the orchestra tracks of ffvii music that was basically the concert. I can see people being unhappy with that.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have been to every single final fantasy concert in Chicago since 2005 with Dear Friends. Been to VGL, Zelda multiple times, both KH shows, overworld, and Intimate music. This was 100% the weakest show they have ever done.

That said, I still enjoyed it. The problem with the original OST moments is they they were simply too long. They were successful when they were used as transition moments but that only really happened at the end. The start of the show was super strong but then they played OG music after that for just far too long for comfort.

If you have all the orchestra tracks of ffvii music that was basically the concert. I can see people being unhappy with that.

That's a shame, at least there was some good to come out of it.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Sound like the Distant Worlds concert in London was the superior event. The entire second half of the concert was FFVII. No Midi involved.
Looking at the set list for Distant Worlds London, it looks like they played about a dozen songs. That's about what they played tonight.

Prelude
Opening/Bombing Mission
Battle music
Kalm
J-E-N-O-V-A
Cosmo canyon
Aerith's Theme
Tifa's Theme
Chocobo them
Jenova Absolute
One Winged Angel
FF Theme

I think I might be missing one or two, but that's most of what was performed live.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like it was a case of managing expectations - people expected it to be all orchestral the entire time, and it wasn't. Some people were fine with it, some weren't.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I was there and it was too much but didn't ruin my time. The Distant Worlds crew played all the ff7 music they created already and no new ones. seems the midis were just filler. I was ok with it but it should have been less

Tiddy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow as someone who visited a KH concert, multiple Distant World's and Final Symphony concerts this is disgusting.
There's no excuse for this. Especially considering how expensive these are. Get your shit together who ever organized and is responsible for this. Hope this gets more attention.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the music quality comparisons between the concert and the FFVII Switch port in the next DigitalFoundry video.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Can someone clear up whether they used music from the PS1 release or the 1998 PC release? The word MIDI seems to have made everyone assume PC version, but nobody who was actually there has clarified.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This seems unusual for SE. Their concerts are usually fantastic.

Pretty sure they won't be happy about this.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
From the various FF concerts they've done through the years, they only have a small bank of Final Fantasy VII songs already orchestrated (Opening Bombing Mission, One-Winged Angel, Aeris Theme, Cosmo Canyon, Main Theme, I think that's it.)
There's also both JENOVA boss themes, just for thoroughness same.