• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone,

I want to gift the classic game to a friend and both platforms are available. I thought this would be an easy choice, but it seems more difficult than expected.

1. Is it possible to use the PS4 controller with PS icons on the Steam version?
  2. The PS4 version had the option to activate a couple of cheats like limit break, no random encounters or 3x speed. Is it available in the Steam version?

If possible I would like to avoid mods, which is also the reason why I currently favor the PS4 version. Thanks!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I felt mods were essential in my recent PC playthrough, stuff like the AI 4K backgrounds, new menus, the new 3D models or just QoL stuff like saving where I want are things I would not trade away.

Answering to the question, they're the same version for the most part, though the PC version doesn't have the PS4 cheats.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The steam version doesn't have the 3x speed, i think there's mods for it but i'm not sure if those mods have addressed the issues it causes with timers.

And trust me when i tell you that once you play with the 3x speed you won't ever want to play the game without it again.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Was gonna say PC for the HD background from the Remako mod, but It sounds like PS4 is your best bet then for them.
final-fantasy-vii-remako-mod-1.jpg

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they have the means to play it, then the OG PS1 version (either physically for PS1 or digitally for PSP/PS3/Vita) would be what to go for. If not, then PC and PS4 are pretty much the same (as the 1998 PC version is the basis of every port that came after, and many of it's issues persist into those later ports), but at the very least the PC version has mod support if they would be willing to go down that route.

More info here:

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
As a game that I only return to every few years, having the ability to play it at any time makes me personally lean toward the PC version. Although the PS4 version will also be good for another generation thanks to PS5's backwards compatibility.

I also have the game on Switch, I suppose more for the portability, I kind of bought it on a whim.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
I know it's not an option for OP but for anyone else curious I'm really happy with Switch after 20 or so hours. Feels great in portable and then 3x speed is nice for traversing the world map if you've played it before.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
If they have the means to play it, then the OG PS1 version (either physically for PS1 or digitally for PSP/PS3/Vita) would be what to go for. If not, then PC and PS4 are pretty much the same, and both have notable issues, but at the very least the PC version has mod support if they would be willing to go down that route.

This. Original really makes the visuals sing at those resolutions. The cleaned up versions just make everything look weird. The speed up features isn't that useful imo, battles already go super fast.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Grab Reunion for the Steam Version, very easy to install mod & it basically makes the game as bug free as it was on PSX. PS4 version is fine too, a bit better than the default Steam version.

OP
OP
Bashteee

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the input, will gift the PS4 version then, seems to be decent enough.

Game is not for me and the person who will be gifted already had problems changing values inside a .ini file. I want it to be a smooth experience.

Oct 25, 2017
The steam version has install DRM (yes, on a ps1 game) and their verification servers are frequently down. So, screw the steam version. This means it can sometimes be unplayable unless you buy it just to "own" it and then download fan-made launchers to basically crack it, to make it playable again until their servers wake back up.

Getting it on consoles is therefore an easier experience. I refunded the steam version and got it on switch instead. Mods would have been nice to try but I'm not supporting their flimsy drm on pc. PS4 will be easier for your friend.

Last edited: