• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they go with the excellent GBA localization.

And please, please, PLEASE provide us with some form of the original's mode 7-based end credits, instead of the generic in-space credit roll that's been featured in all of the Pixel Remaster titles to date.

FFV ending/credits sequence:

They just happen to show the soundtrack page for that bit of the game, and it looks like the timings line up.

5:30 Silent Beyond
4:20 Dear Friends
3:35 Final Fantasy
8:39 Ending Theme
Then "The Prelude" at the end, which is the portion of the OST that plays against the star background, because the credits for these are like 500 people compared to, like, 50 in the original's.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how they adjust the balance. This could end up being another 10-12 hour game just like the previous four.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely one of the best Final Fantasys and it's way too underappreciated. People gotsta buy, buy, buy!

Apr 19, 2018
They just happen to show the soundtrack page for that bit of the game, and it looks like the timings line up.

5:30 Silent Beyond
4:20 Dear Friends
3:35 Final Fantasy
8:39 Ending Theme
Then "The Prelude" at the end, which is the portion of the OST that plays against the star background, because the credits for these are like 500 people compared to, like, 50 in the original's.

That's promising. But my fear is that they'll simply overlay the entirety of the "Ending Theme" against the PR-specific staff roll/star background and axe the Mode 7 field sequence entirely. Which would make more sense than having the The Prelude play for 10+ minutes straight, but at the obvious expense of losing such a memorable part of the original's ending.

I dunno. I have this feeling that SQEX may opt to make the final scene in the game at the Guardian Tree, with Krile flying off-screen with her wind drake, and the others on chocobos, and then simply cut to the Pixel Remaster space credit roll. Which would be tremendously disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
That's promising. But my fear is that they'll simply overlay the entirety of the "Ending Theme" against the PR-specific staff roll/star background and axe the Mode 7 field sequence entirely. Which would make more sense than having the The Prelude play for 10+ minutes straight, but at the obvious expense of losing such a memorable part of the original's ending.

I dunno. I have this feeling that SQEX may opt to make the final scene in the game at the Guardian Tree, with Krile flying off-screen with her wind drake, and the others on chocobos, and then simply cut to the Pixel Remaster space credit roll. Which would be tremendously disappointing.

People spent a bunch of time worrying about nuances of FF4's ending that ended up unfounded. It switched to the star scroll at the same time as the original, with the same music cues other than the credits going on way longer. People were worried about the battle background not being scrolling, etc.

I'm more curious what they will do with the final boss sprite, as that has to be left-justified off the side of the screen. Are they going to have to make Loooooong Exdeath due to the games being native to Ultrawide?

Apr 19, 2018
People spent a bunch of time worrying about nuances of FF4's ending that ended up unfounded. It switched to the star scroll at the same time as the original, with the same music cues other than the credits going on way longer. People were worried about the battle background not being scrolling, etc.

The thing is, FF4 utilizing the Pixel Remaster star scroll was understandable -- almost expected -- because it hewed so close to the SNES original's space backdrop. In that sense, it was an easy decision to transpose the PR space backdrop here to use for FF4.

FFV's credit roll is more unique by comparison, with actual "non-space" sequences that are in motion, so it's really a question if they're going to attempt to retain this, or opt to follow the same exact PR staff roll that they've patterned for the last four titles.

Last edited:

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
As before, I look forward to their tweets where they have snippets of the soundtrack leading up the launch, and for it to come out so I can download it and listen to the soundtrack, but not actually play it...

Since I'm still on III 😬

Apr 19, 2018
As someone who generally doesn't care for the franchise, FFV is excellent. Looking forward to hearing the OST, especially Battle at the Big Bridge

As before, I look forward to their tweets where they have snippets of the soundtrack leading up the launch, and for it to come out so I can download it and listen to the soundtrack, but not actually play it...

Uematsu and sound programmer Minoru Akao provided a unique soundscape for FF5 that really differentiated itself from the likes of FF4 and FF6 back in the 16-bit era. It'll be intriguing to see how SQEX approaches the arrangements and instrument choices for this one.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
FFV is my favorite game and I wish I could be excited for this, but my opinion of the Pixel Remasters has plummeted since I played the first three. I revisited the original 1-3 a few weeks back and got even more annoyed at how much more interesting those versions were mechanically, and I wish there was just way to play those with less clunky menus and an audio/visual update and a dash button.

I'll probably check occasionally to see if modders salvage whatever gets screwed up in this version, but I'm not holding my breath, and I don't really think it's a big deal if it never happens. FFV is nowhere near as clunky in any version as the NES games were.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
After the solid remake of IV, I'll be picking this up on steam and then streaming to my phone.

I made the initial mistake of grabbing FFI on the iPhone incorrectly assuming that it would have controller support.

Patiently waiting for VI, although I'm practically salivating at the thought of the remixed tunes.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they go with the excellent GBA localization.

And please, please, PLEASE provide us with some form of the original's mode 7-based end credits, instead of the generic in-space credit roll that's been featured in all of the Pixel Remaster titles to date.

FFV ending/credits sequence:
Both FFV and FFVI's endings are epic as hell (and rely heavily on mode-7). FFVI, I remember first beating it, and it felt like a damn magical ending..

The clouds at 13:33, I used to stare at them in awe at how fluffy they looked.

I kinda miss that fantastic display of graphics in RPG endings. Gives you a little something to "ooo" and "aww" at as the credits roll, not just a rather short ending scene and mainly black screen as the credits roll (sometimes there's a small window that plays back the "greatest hits" scenes of earlier in the adventure... meh).

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Shows $13.67 for me.

GMG still has it at full price so might still get it on Humble but still...dont see it for the price he stated.

Edit: WOW....I feel like an idiot, I didnt realize I could change the contribution amount....the $12.95 is if your discount is full 20% and the contribution is 0%.....lol

I've been buying games 10% and 10% this whole time...didnt know lol

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Anybody with me in believing that "Traveling Through Snowy Mountains" is the best FF mountain terrain BGM of all-time? (Sorry, Mt. Hobs and Koltz.)

I can't wait to hear Pixel Remaster's take on the track. It's unlikely to top Preludio's god-tier arrangement though:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
What are the odds the devs saw the font mods people made and realized "Wow ours looks like crap"? Lol, I think I know the answer.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if FF6 will be out by the end of the year. At this rate, seems like it'll be January.

It would be nice if they set the release date for FF6 for December 18th to coincide with entire series release anniversary.

FF1 was released back in December 18th 1987, and these Pixel Remasters are basically faithful remakes to the initial releases of the first six games in the series so what would make a good book end to the set by releasing on Dec 18th to kickoff the start of the series 35th Anniversary.

Apr 19, 2018
uhhh holy shit the music.

Nice, they appear to be pulling straight from the excellent GBA localization. Although I did notice a few lines of dialogue were excised here, most crucially King Tycoon's line of "I must go to the Wind Shrine to make certain nothing's happened to the Crystal" -- which seems like a big omission, as the Wind Shrine is sort of the crux of Lenna's original mission. I guess it's now supposed to be unspoken that Lenna knew where he was going when he departed?

Also, this might be the first time the introduction has actual sound effects to go along with the opening sequence. It was always ever just a music backing that accompanied this scene till now.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
A bit bothered that the music isn't synching up perfectly with what's happening on-screen.

I wonder if this:
Nice, they appear to be pulling straight from the excellent GBA localization. Although I did notice a few lines of dialogue were excised here, most crucially King Tycoon's line of "I must go to the Wind Shrine to make certain nothing's happened to the Crystal" -- which seems like a big omission, as the Wind Shrine is sort of the crux of Lenna's original mission. I guess it's now supposed to be unspoken that Lenna knew where he was going when he departed?
... has anything to do with it?

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
How hard are the pixel remasters of 1, 2, 3, and 5? I've played/beaten every other mainline FF other than 11 and was hoping to beat the remaining mainlines before Endwalker releases if possible. I just don't want to get stuck if these pixel remasters are difficult though

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
How hard are the pixel remasters of 1, 2, 3, and 5? I've played/beaten every other mainline FF other than 11 and was hoping to beat the remaining mainlines before Endwalker releases if possible. I just don't want to get stuck if these pixel remasters are difficult though

They're pretty easy, overall. Especially 1 and 4.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

1-3 will all have some difficulty spikes but nothing insurmountable or that isn't solved in 15 mins of grinding. They're very accessible in these versions.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
FFV is a very important game in the history of emulation. The fan translated rom by RPGe was very popular in those early internet days and was one of the first games I played on an emulator. The translation itself was weirdly good for the time and I was blown away at this really excellent lost SNES FF game I had never heard of before.

This article goes into detail about it:
kotaku.com

How Three Kids With No Experience Beat Square And Translated Final Fantasy V Into English

One day in the late 1990s, Myria walked into the Irvine High School computer room and spotted a boy playing Final Fantasy V. There were two unusual things about this. The first was that Final Fantasy V had not actually come out in the United States. To play the 1992 Japanese game in English...

Last edited:

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I am so looking forward to this but geez...yet another update of the graphics and they still never fixed the sprites to match Amano's amazing artwork? Bartz looks fine considering his Dissidia profile really aligns with his outfit to an extent but they never could get Lenna's hair right or Faris being in that awesome pirate coat and ponytail. Not even going to start on Galuf's spirte.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I am so looking forward to this but geez...yet another update of the graphics and they still never fixed the sprites to match Amano's amazing artwork? Bartz looks fine considering his Dissidia profile really aligns with his outfit to an extent but they never could get Lenna's hair right or Faris being in that awesome pirate coat and ponytail. Not even going to start on Galuf's spirte.
The sprites came before the Amano art. Changing them would miss the point of this remaster series.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The sprites came before the Amano art. Changing them would miss the point of this remaster series.

Pretty much. They are basing each of the Pixel Remasters on the original releases of the games but in modern presentation such as fully redone soundtracks and widescreen. The intent is to make them as close to the original source material but playable on a modern platform, and they have done a fantastic job of it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I've asked this before but.....FFIV vs FFV.... People are often split in terms of which they prefer, right? One has a better story and the other had better gameplay and exploration?

FFIV's storytelling was really flawed with a lot of bait and switch but it does have a more intricate plot while V is simpler. V has top tier gameplay in the entire series.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Pretty much. They are basing each of the Pixel Remasters on the original releases of the games but in modern presentation such as fully redone soundtracks and widescreen. The intent is to make them as close to the original source material but playable on a modern platform, and they have done a fantastic job of it.
Yeah, it's weird that some people seem to be expecting these to be something they were never meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.