• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you know...

"Blame yourself or God." is the second greatest quote in gaming history ("Let's mosey" is #1)
maxresdefault.jpg

If I had to pick one thing and only one thing I miss about this place not being GAF and me not being a moderator it would be not being able to give myself the "Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God." tag.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Tactics remains one of my favourite games ever. I really do believe it's just about the most perfect a video game can get. Great music. Great characters. Great plot. Great gameplay, deep without being over complex. Tactics Ogre is awesome and all but you need a PHD to understand half of what's going on there in general.

FFT was just perfection.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tactics remains one of my favourite games ever. I really do believe it's just about the most perfect a video game can get. Great music. Great characters. Great plot. Great gameplay, deep without being over complex. Tactics Ogre is awesome and all but you need a PHD to understand half of what's going on there in general.

FFT was just perfection.
In this video, TO:LUCT director Hiroshi Minagawa explains that the primary difference between TO and FFT is that the former focuses on wide-scale simulation of a conflict most and foremost, whereas the latter focuses on a small party fighting like a normal RPG:

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda surprised that square enix tweeted about FFT anniversary just now.

At least they remember it exists

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: I got a good feeling!

(I will forever love the bad translation of the original NA version)

17-capture_04032011_082423.png

I remember the first time through the game I thought I was finally starting to understand the game and the this mistake popped up and confused the hell out of me.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Can we all admit that the Shakespearean-fication of the PSP port was bad?

I know some people liked it but we can't expect everyone to have taste.
I take every opportunity I can to say this and it always pisses people off lol. I really hated it though.

Not that the original was any better, in a totally opposite way.

I still love the game to bits though

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The soundtrack for Tactics is heavenly. While I love the work that Sakimoto made with Final Fantasy XII, there was just something magical and enchanting about his work in Tactics.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I've never gotten to experience this game, sadly, but I did very much enjoy FFTA. I'd pick up a Switch port of the original in a heartbeat.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Blow my mind that there hasn't been a remaster of this game (does WotL count?) and that there's no way to play it on current consoles. Hell there wasn't even a FFTA game for 3DS.

We got a damn Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo Dungeon remaster before FFT HD, let that sink in.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blow my mind that there hasn't been a remaster of this game (does WotL count?) and that there's no way to play it on current consoles. Hell there wasn't even a FFTA game for 3DS.

We got a damn Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo Dungeon remaster before FFT HD, let that sink in.

Yeah. I'd really love for both FFT and TO:LUCT to see ports to current gen consoles/PC. The mobile port for FFT is good, but I still found myself turning to the patches PSP version because I just preferred buttons to the touch screen interface.

Oct 30, 2017
I would love a "Final Fantasy Tactics" spin off that was an RTS with FF12-style Gambits.

Something like Ogre Battle except the combat is like FF12, occuring directly in the tactical map instead of a separate turn-based dimension.

You command like 6-12 squads, each centered around a unique hero unit that leads 3-5 generic job-based soldiers. Send them to capture objectives.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017

It's actually kinda surprising that they haven't push more fft(not ffta) considering fft has a ton of exposure on their mobile games and they added ramza to Dissidia.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished a replay last weekend. Its story has gotten better with age.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've never gotten to experience this game, sadly, but I did very much enjoy FFTA. I'd pick up a Switch port of the original in a heartbeat.
Would that I could erase my memory and be you.

Honestly, the mobile version of FFT is a fantastic port (rare, for Square-Enix) and is worth every penny. You enjoyed FFTA, a middling clone with no serious conflict? Pick up one of the best games of all time.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017

It's really bizarre. The original was the best selling tactical RPG until Fire Emblem Awakening while Advance comfortably over 1 million copies. Even the lackluster A2 managed to sell over 500k in a time when TRPGs were doing poorly as a whole. Hopefully Trials of Mana does well enough for Square-Enix to take a look at other dormant mid-tier franchises like FFT. I would prefer a new game over a remake, though.

I would love a "Final Fantasy Tactics" spin off that was an RTS with FF12-style Gambits.

Something like Ogre Battle except the combat is like FF12, occuring directly in the tactical map instead of a separate turn-based dimension.

You command like 6-12 squads, each centered around a unique hero unit that leads 3-5 generic job-based soldiers. Send them to capture objectives.
That sounds a lot like FF XII: Revenant Wings. Have you tried it?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
That interview is so candid. It really reads like one from the 90s. We all know Matsuno's prior games and how Square went for him and most of his team to have something similar on their portfolio.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly FFT is incredible. Both translations are remarkably light on JRPG bullshit. The OST is excellent and the gameplay and scenario design are sublime. It's raw proof that video games are art.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I would spend $80 on a collector's edition of Final Fantasy Tactics HD right now, Square.

Let's pencil that in for the 23rd anniversary, and a sequel for the 25th, hmm?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
#preparetocry

The Topic

Oh man this OP just tugs at my heartstrings man

FFT was never topped in its genre and those concept arts/spinoffs would have been amazing if they saw the light of day

Im still quite bitter with how SE has handled this property alongside his other creation (ogre battle and tactics ogre) not to mention poor treatment of other classics like Chrono Trigger and FF6

UGGHHH

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Apologies for the self-promotion, but awhile ago I wrote about some obscure bits of trivia, including a strategy guide with some rather egregious errors:

The Genji equipment is a series of samurai-themed weapons and armor found in most of the Final Fantasy games. In the PS1 version of Final Fantasy Tactics, they are primarily carried by an enemy character named Elmdore, who's fought in the game's final chapter. So, technically the only way you can get the most of these items (the Masamune sword can be found elsewhere) is to steal it from him…however, in the Japanese version, the game reports a 0% chance to steal anything from him, so it seems like it might be impossible.

However, in a strategy guide published by Famitsu (and edited by a group called JK VOICE), there's a section in the book that maintains that the game actually rounds any decimal places. So, technically, there is a chance to steal the equipment, it's just less than 1%. There's also some extra advice to slightly increase this probability, including breaking the shield, raising your characters' levels, and equipping certain items.

Except, this is a lie. All of it. It's not clear whether it's intentional or whether it's a bug, but it's just mathematically impossible to successfully steal these items. This caused many frustrated Japanese gamers to waste hours upon hours to do something entirely fruitless. It's also a particular problem because, elsewhere in this strategy guide, it delivers contradictory information and (truthfully) states that they just can't be stolen. However, this erroneous strategy was eventually reprinted in other forms too, spreading this even further. There were also rumors that subsequent Japanese releases fixed the issue (this was common procedure for many JRPGs that had bugs) but there doesn't appear to be any differences in the reprints, so that, too, is false.

And a little about one of the characters, Oeilvert, whose story was cut from the English versions since it was only in those sound novels, though her name is referenced in later games:

One of the big appeals of Final Fantasy IX was the way it appealed to the nostalgia of longtime series fans, both in the way its story returned to the medieval roots of the 8/16-bit games, as well as dropping references to previous titles. Unfortunately some of these were lost either due inconsistent translations – the "Mount Gulug" is supposed to be the same "Gurgu Volcano" you visited in the original Final Fantasy for the NES (and was changed again to "Mount Gulg" in the PS1/GBA remake). Others were lost simply because the games being referenced at the time hadn't been released in English at the time, such as when Ramuh relates the tale of Joseph, a character from Final Fantasy II (who was renamed Josef when the game was finally released in America for the PS1).

Oeilvert falls into both categories. Final Fantasy Tactics originally had four sound novels (choose-your-own-adventure-style visual novels with scant graphics) that you could unlock during the course of the game, none of which directly related to the main story but fleshed out the world of Ivalice, and all of which were removed from the English releases. One of them starred a female assassin named Simone and codenamed Oeilvert (French for "green eyes") – according to the Game Catalog Wiki, it's pretty well liked among fans. There's a video of the Japanese version on YouTube. The story has been completely translated on the Final Fantasy Wikia, complete with branching replicated via HTML links, for anyone who wants to read it. Since these have very sparse visuals, there's no actual artwork of Oeilvert, other than the shadow shown in the introduction.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Whats Matsuno been up to these days

I know he got involved with a lot of mobile and contract work

Nothing he's done since leaving SE seems to come close to his previous work though. Its a testament to the collective talent that supported his visions

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Wow. I am actually playing this on my vita for the nth time right now.

The class system of FFT just makes my imagination run wild. I'd rebuy it again on switcj just to say I have it on there. The only thing to fix is the slowdown for spells. Otherwise its perfect.

You know what a perfect square game can be turned into GAAS? FFT. Imagine an FFT that updates to add expansions, story lines, and new classes and special characters.

Imagine how good the diorama look of FFT would be now. Man. I can go on forever about how good FFT is. It's my top 3 FF game behind 6 and 9. It's not a spinoff for me.

Side note: I think ramza looks damn awful in dissidia.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Square have been on a serious Tactics love-fest recently with Return to Ivalice in FFXIV, Ramza and FFT in Dissidia and now FFBE War of the Visions. I was positive a new T game was coming but to be honest, War of the Visions might just be it. Maybe a Switch version of WOTL and its follow-ups?

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this on IOS? I do have a PSP, but it might be handy to have it on my phone, assuming it doesnt control like ass

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only just recently played through the game to completion on PSP. Man what a game! That said, I wish there was more to the later stages of the game. I felt like the whole game kinda ended abruptly once
Hashmal resurrected Saint Ajora
That whole story section leading up to the final battle felt super rushed for me, with the final battle ending way too quickly. Just felt like the whole game you were trying to figure out the story between Larg and Goltanna and then it kinda flipped out of nowhere.

Am I crazy for thinking this?

How is this on IOS? I do have a PSP, but it might be handy to have it on my phone, assuming it doesnt control like ass
It controls well enough, mostly intuitive. My biggest gripe w/ the mobile version was how the character models were changed.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
When Zodiac Age was announced to PC I was really hyped more for the possibility of finally getting a WotL PC port than XII it self, it sucks that the most complete version is stuck in either PSP (and it requiers a fan patch to work well) and IOS/Android.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Now I want to play it again, thanks ERA. I know I own it for Playstation, so maybe I'll bring it over to my Pi. I wonder how the mobile version plays.

Edit: And yes I bought the CD soundtrack back in college and didn't give a single fuck. Still have them, and some of it is in a regularly run playlist of mine. The game is brilliant.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I loved every second of this game up until the Wiegraf duel which I've still never passed because I was under-leveled and didn't make a save before the point of no return.

So my head cannon for this game is that Ramza duels Wiegraf, loses, and that's the end of the story.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I loved every second of this game up until the Wiegraf duel which I've still never passed because I was under-leveled and didn't make a save before the point of no return.

So my head cannon for this game is that Ramza duels Wiegraf, loses, and that's the end of the story.

If it's the boss battle that I think you're talking about.. use the tailwind strategy. It's cheap cheese but necessary if you're stuck.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

The only reason that I survived that battle is because I was heavily over leveled. I absolutely LOVED the battles, and I just walked the map picking fights in chapter 1 before continuing the story.