• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Is XII still considered best on switch these days? Did they update the PS4 version to able to respec without worry?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's really hard to explain my disappointment in XV though it's likely worth giving a try at that price.

It's okay at best, however. Boring and empty open world and a bland battle system. I've tried 4 or 5 times to get into it and I'm never able to continue.

And that's ignoring all the nonsense surrounding the game and its updates related to performance and attempts to "fix" the story.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
i just bought FFX remaster, i played it in PS3 years ago and stopped in the middle of stor , i heard it features cross save, so expect continue the journey on the PS4

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
If I buy the Royal Edition of FFXV, what DLCs do I need to buy to complete everything?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Is XII still considered best on switch these days? Did they update the PS4 version to able to respec without worry?
They didn't and they never will. Respecing isn't even necessary unless you do something stupid and make everyone the exact same job or something. TZA is absolutely NOT balanced around being able to have two jobs in the first place. You can beat it with your eyes closed picking the least optimal job combos.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
They didn't and they never will. Respecing isn't even necessary unless you do something stupid and make everyone the exact same job or something. TZA is absolutely NOT balanced around being able to have two jobs in the first place. You can beat it with your eyes closed picking the least optimal job combos.
I haven't played since the ps2 days so wasn't aware honestly. Just seems like a neat feature

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To anyone that still has a PSP/Vita, don't sleep on FFIV. It's the best version of the game IMO.

Mar 22, 2019
Never played a FF game before but loved Ni No Kuni 1 and 2. Just grabbed FF 8, 9 and 10 on the sale so excited to play! $53 AUD total so im happy!

Saw FF7 is there too but i plan on getting the remake of that when its out.

Any tips for a noob?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never played a FF game before but loved Ni No Kuni 1 and 2. Just grabbed FF 8, 9 and 10 on the sale so excited to play! $53 AUD total so im happy!

Any tips for a noob?
Don't ignore the junction system in FFVIII. It is super important.
Since the main character of FFIX is a thief, there's a ton of good items to steal. Don't ignore it like I did as a kid.
Make sure you get everything in the starting village of FFX before you leave.

You may want to get the OG FFVII at some point in the future, The remake isn't meant to replace it.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Any tips for a noob?
Don't be shy about using the speed up toggle. Dunno about FF8 but getting used to using the speed up in FF9 was essential to my enjoyment of the game.
Without it they feel quite clunky due to their age.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Any tips for a noob?

In FF8 it's very easy to miss critically important information about the junction system. For example, instead of using mana, you draw a number of spells, it's basically like ammo.

So lets say Squall draws 8 sleep spells from an enemy and equips it to his status effect attack. Since you have 8 spells, that means you have an 8% chance of inflicting sleep on an enemy when you attack. But if you draw 100 sleeps, then you have a 100% chance of inflicting sleep. So always keep as many spells as you can.

I didn't realize this until 10 years after i first played it and wondered why i was struggling.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Any tips for a noob?

With X, I'd probably use the basic sphere grid system, than the advanced one that was added in the PAL release on PS2/this version. It's what determines what abilities your character learns.

With basic, each character has a set role, and their grid follows a natural progression for that role. With advanced, they all start at the same point, and you can choose for any character to go to any role/s. It offers more freedom, and I think it makes it more fun, but it can screw you over of you don't optimise it well.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I bought FFXV at launch and still haven't played it and then the Royal edition in a sale for like 25 bucks and still haven't xD

For this price, I'll be adding episode Ardyn for when I finally do it lol

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I already have all of the games I want however....FFVII and IX I might grab despite owning it on PS1 and PC already lol.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
omg the FF9 port.....I did not enjoy what they did with it. should have done the research before buying this ...

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
How is da ff8 remasta?

Better than FF9, that is for sore. I bought it for the updated character model. And it has the original saving screen (as opposed to FF9's generic PS4 one)

IMO the game doesn't benefit much from no encounter or high speed cheats.

TBH I would stick with the PS1 (or emulation on PS3) games had I known better. Not sure the modding situation on the PC versions.

But it is just my experience - doesn't apply to everyone of course.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Notice to all the trophy hunters eyeballing FFXV

There are some trophies that are a pain in the ass to get as the Comrades DLC has been completely removed from the game. You need to set up a proxy thing on your PC and manually redirect your PS4 to download FFXV v1.26 iirc, similar to how the PT workaround works. The Royal Edition comes with both the Comrades DLC and Comrades standalone, so you can still grab those Comrades DLC trophies in offline mode with v1.26 and the DLC. Also, after you get all the Comrades trophies in the FFXV main game list, you can transfer your save to the standalone Comrades and resume your progress to finish up the newer content and trophies as well.

EDIT: also PshycoNinja

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who already owns the discs, I really wish they would drop the ps1 versions to like $3 instead of $5. I would probably buy all of them if they did that just to have the backups.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I bought VIII because I really enjoyed the VII remaster on PS4. I still have 9 in my backlog but I might as well play them in release order.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Better than FF9, that is for sore. I bought it for the updated character model. And it has the original saving screen (as opposed to FF9's generic PS4 one)

IMO the game doesn't benefit much from no encounter or high speed cheats.

TBH I would stick with the PS1 (or emulation on PS3) games had I known better. Not sure the modding situation on the PC versions.

But it is just my experience - doesn't apply to everyone of course.
The game absolutely benefits from no encounters since the enemies scale to your level.

Oct 31, 2017
This thread just reminded me of the absolutely awful remaster for FFX.

omg the FF9 port.....I did not enjoy what they did with it. should have done the research before buying this ...

It's kind of bad but I'll take what I can get. The backgrounds are awful, but what really pissed me off was the implementation of the FF feature. You can only go 2x faster or 4x faster, and this also applies to the goddamn in-game and CG cutscenes!!! It's a good thing it wasn't my first playthrough so I was able to turn off FF just in time before a CG cutscene but seriously WTF?

OP
OP
PshycoNinja

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Notice to all the trophy hunters eyeballing FFXV

There are some trophies that are a pain in the ass to get as the Comrades DLC has been completely removed from the game. You need to set up a proxy thing on your PC and manually redirect your PS4 to download FFXV v1.26 iirc, similar to how the PT workaround works. The Royal Edition comes with both the Comrades DLC and Comrades standalone, so you can still grab those Comrades DLC trophies in offline mode with v1.26 and the DLC. Also, after you get all the Comrades trophies in the FFXV main game list, you can transfer your save to the standalone Comrades and resume your progress to finish up the newer content and trophies as well.

EDIT: also PshycoNinja

Thanks for the info! I will put this in the OP in just a bit.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any enhancements to FFX on PS4 that aren't present in the switch version? I own a lot of FF games in switch and would like the novelty of having them all on one console, but $10 seems to be a good price for FFX/X2

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
World of Final Fantasy is super cute and worth playing, IMO. It's cheesy and goofy but honestly really funny at times - if you like modern cartoons like Adventure Time and the like you'll probably have a fun time going through it. Gameplay wise it's a bit simple, but it works. Great soundtrack too.

XV is also good. Not amazing, but I think everyone will get something different from it. It's just that kinda game where it's impossible to even try to be objective with an appraisal, IMO. I'd recommend watching Kingsglaive at some point after starting it if you're enjoying it, however, as it covers story beats they just allude to in the game itself.

Don't bother with Pocket Edition though, I played through the entire thing and it only does one interesting change (a full dungeon in the icey tunnel with the train). Can't imagine why you'd play it on a platform that has the full experience outside of curiosity.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't Zodiac Age on PS4 still not have the QoL improvements that the switch and xbox got?

Nope, but that really shouldn't be a deal breaker. Outside of 60fps and I presume 4K on the X, the only QoL features are NG+, having 3 gambit loadouts, which is kinda cool but you can live without in all honesty, and swapping jobs, which I'm honestly not a fan of on this.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is after years any good? I never played it.
Also tempted by the FFX/X-2 bundle... never played X-2 too.. is the Vita version ok?

After Years is alright. The plot is a bit weird, and it's certainly not essential to play, but it's OK.

I can't speak of the Vita version, but X-2 is certainly worth playing. If you love X, you might not like it though.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an easier way to play the PS1 classics & PSP games. Will definitely pick up VIII & IX, but I would like to play War of the Lions without using my smartphone or dusting off my PSP.