• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I picked this up last weekend on a whim (the steam 6 pack) , I really like these ports and can't wait for 4-6. Made the mistake of doing a joke start in FF1 with a thief , not realising they're terrible (I only played the GBA version a decade ago, never got that into FF1 on the NES). Played a few minutes of 1-3 each just to check 'em out. I'm most proud of my FF3 names
ff3best.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So unlike 1-3, 4-6 are worth checking out for their stories right? Is 4 a love story?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should change the thread title completely. Maybe someone wittier than me can come up with something that uses "spoony".

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I just got the weapon and magic tactics achievements in FF2. Only achievements I'm missing are for getting all chests and for getting all achievements (naturally). Sadly, I missed Paul's secret treasure room in Fynn Castle so I would need to do a 2nd playthrough. I'm going to save that for a rainy day and move on to FF3 now. I'd like to hopefully finish it before FF4 drops.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat FFIII. Pretty great game and vastly better compared to the 3D Remake.

Got real worried on the last boss as I nearly had a full Party Wipe on my hands, but one of my Sages managed to pull through (hooray Elixirs) and pulled off a miracle full recovery of the Party after managing to pop off Arise on the other Sage and getting the two Ninjas back.

So here's a FFIII change I haven't seen mentioned anywhere:

Haste and Protect used to stack, now they don't. They also wear off after a few turns and have such a minor effect that it's not really all that distinguishable from normal damage variance. Having any meaningful buffs available sure would have helped against the obnoxiously bloated HP pools of all the endgame bosses!

Yeah, I definitely noticed this towards the endgame. I'm almost positive Haste is completely bugged and has little to no actual effect on your attacks.
Protect does seem to work to some extent, but probably not exactly the way it should.

(After doing some research, in the original game, it basically adds extra Def/Mag.Def to your existing values and straight up fails to apply if you max out at 255 on either value.
Unsure of how it properly works in the 3D Remake apart from the Bard's version of it.)

Also found out that Bard Songs are technically considered Magic and if you exchange Magic between characters, you lose access to your unlocked songs on that character unless you exchange back their Magic.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe I almost missed the Blood Sword and the Cyclone key word in FF2. I just went for the mirror first and that locked me out of any exposition whatsoever, but more importantly the ability to get the Cyclone key word and therefore access to the secret room with all the chests in Fynn. Fortunately I had an earlier save, but that was a close one. I'm 20 hours in.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The boss music in FF3 slaps.

I also like that it has more in common with FF1 than FF2. Having to requip everything after I switch jobs is pretty annoying, though.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Are FF3 Golem Staffs supposed to apply 100% petrify to enemies? My mages were 2HKOing most of the enemies in the final dungeon but don't remember if that was a thing in prior versions.

EDIT: apparently this was indeed a thing in the previous versions

Last edited:

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Sorry if it's been asked before but I'm about to start FF1 and I was wondering, what's a good team to play with if I just want to enjoy the game and not think too much about it?

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Sorry if it's been asked before but I'm about to start FF1 and I was wondering, what's a good team to play with if I just want to enjoy the game and not think too much about it?
Honestly the default team is pretty good, but Warrior, Monk, White Mage and Black Mage may be slightly better.

I personally like to play the default jobs with their canon names.

Warrior - Setro
Thief - Zauver
Black Mage - Teol
White Mage - Flora

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Yeah, I definitely noticed this towards the endgame. I'm almost positive Haste is completely bugged and has little to no actual effect on your attacks.
Protect does seem to work to some extent, but probably not exactly the way it should.

(After doing some research, in the original game, it basically adds extra Def/Mag.Def to your existing values and straight up fails to apply if you max out at 255 on either value.
Unsure of how it properly works in the 3D Remake apart from the Bard's version of it.)

Also found out that Bard Songs are technically considered Magic and if you exchange Magic between characters, you lose access to your unlocked songs on that character unless you exchange back their Magic.
Yeah, and Haste used to buff both attack and hits, and would only fail if both were capped. The glitchless speedrun strat for most of the endgame bosses was a solo Devout stacking Protect and Haste for ~4-5 turns each, at which point they'd take 1 damage from everything and deal ~4000 damage with dual wielded staves.

It's kind of understandable if they didn't want the buffs to be that abuseable, though it's a little strange after they buffed Chaos to the point where abusing the same mechanic is mandatory for many parties. But reducing the base effect, removing stacking, and giving them a short duration is overkill.

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
jacktuar Neoweee thanks for the suggestions!
So, Thief does not suck that much? I seem to recall people saying it wasn't super good. Guess I can replace with a Monk as you suggested jacktuar.
Also quick question wrt Red Mages. My understanding was that they had access later than WHM/BLM to some spells so I suppose it can just make the earlier levels a bit harder? Or am I just thinking too hard about it? :p

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
So, Thief does not suck that much? I seem to recall people saying it wasn't super good. Guess I can replace with a Monk as you suggested jacktuar.
Also quick question wrt Red Mages. My understanding was that they had access later than WHM/BLM to some spells so I suppose it can just make the earlier levels a bit harder? Or am I just thinking too hard about it? :p
People say Thief sucks but a lot of people consider anything that isn't the ultimate set up as sucking. Just look at all the advice for FF2 where people say you need to double equip shields, or you need to attack yourself. Its bollocks you can just play the game and you'll be fine.

Oct 25, 2017

People have really, really strong opinions on balance and optimization and difficulty in a game that is basically an AD&D ripoff where 95% of the game is everyone in your party using the basic Attack command. If you want to chew through the game fast this is a good build as it gels well with Fast Forward. The balance changes to the FF1 are generally good, and Thief got a decent buff.

The "crit bug" in the NES version eventually got accepted as the actual crit values, which contributes to the problem of the game getting easier as it goes on. These remakes give the party more starting gold and the first town has cheaper prices, so it is easier to buy starting spells if you do choose to go with a mage-heavy party.

Pretty much anything that doesn't stack multiple Black Mages or multiple White Mages is going to be a totally fine party.

Last edited:

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
All right thanks a lot for the advice guys!
I guess I'm gonna go with Fighter, Monk, RDMx2 (I'm more of a Monk type of person :p ) and just enjoy the ride :)

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
So, Thief does not suck that much? I seem to recall people saying it wasn't super good.
Thief was legitimately completely worthless on NES/PS1/WSC. Poor weapon/armor options, no magic, slower Accuracy growth (And thus less hits per attack) than other dedicated melee characters, and their high Luck didn't do anything. Class changing to Ninja made them significantly better, but even then they weren't really any more useful than a Red Wizard.

But Pixel Remaster balance/mechanics are based on the GBA+ versions, so Thief is fine.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
So uh

Now that I've been able to get a bit in, Final Fantasy III is pretty legit? It sort of feels like a complete expansion of 1 as far as the story is light, but vignette-style and I enjoy how you are thrown from place to place, even if there isn't a core cast with defined personalities like 2. Job system seems fun so far, I think I'm approaching the fire crystal.

Without a doubt my favorite part so far though is that towns have actually distinct buildings, npcs all seem to have distinct dialogue and there are lots of little secrets here and there to find. Something that's really taken for granted in later games. Also the dungeon design is way more enjoyable than 1 or 2 so far.

Any recommendations for fire crystal jobs? Currently haven't really faced any challenge with war, monk, white mage, red mage but I believe that most subsequent jobs are straight upgrades over previous ones?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So uh

Now that I've been able to get a bit in, Final Fantasy III is pretty legit? It sort of feels like a complete expansion of 1 as far as the story is light, but vignette-style and I enjoy how you are thrown from place to place, even if there isn't a core cast with defined personalities like 2. Job system seems fun so far, I think I'm approaching the fire crystal.

Without a doubt my favorite part so far though is that towns have actually distinct buildings, npcs all seem to have distinct dialogue and there are lots of little secrets here and there to find. Something that's really taken for granted in later games. Also the dungeon design is way more enjoyable than 1 or 2 so far.

Any recommendations for fire crystal jobs? Currently haven't really faced any challenge with war, monk, white mage, red mage but I believe that most subsequent jobs are straight upgrades over previous ones?
yeah 3 is legit. Loved it.

On jobs, just keep in mind that you need to switch it up fairly regularly, based on new jobs that you get, and on new equipment that you find in chests and at vendors. That's the game hinting at what jobs you should be using for a given part of the game.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Fighter, Thief, Red Mage, Red Mage, probably. Replace either Red with Black/White mage, if you want, but two RMs will be quicker and simpler.
I'd put at least a white mage just for protectra and the group healing spells. With intelligence scaling my black mage spent the last 1/4th of the game spamming Mage's Staff/Healing helm or strong AoE spells. The start of the game will be easier with the Red Mages but not the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Best Tellah sprite. I love that you can see the triangle pattern on the robe, and that the robe/cloak are different colors. The sprite is 18 pixels wide to allow for that tiny bit of cloak flair without making the rest of the sprite feel squished. Really great work that looks vintage while breaking the original tech limitations.

The FF Dot version went with the striped baggy pants look and had him looking a bit more to the left and showed off both the cloak and pants stripes. I kind of prefer the FF Dot version, but they went with more of an update of the original rather than a reinterpretation for the PRs.

fwiw, I got used to it very fast (I played them all on iOS)

On PC I replaced it for one of the three games but didn't bother with the other two. It is mostly fine other than sometimes looking weird in battle. Looking at a compressed image on a small image that is lower-res than the fully display doesn't really reflect how it works in practice. IMO they should still use the wider font of the JP set for whatever languages it works without overruns for, but both of the games I've bought since the PRs have massively worth fonts (Axiom Verge 2 and Environmental Station Alpha) that I'd replace with the PR ones in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Just want to chime in this thread and say what an absolute blast I had playing Final Fantasy 3 again. It's the 2D version I always wanted. It made me so nostalgic for the old rom patch, and gave me no reason to ever replay the 3D version.

The game itself was a joy to replay and the music in 3 is some of the best of the early games.

It's a shame I recently replayed the older games or more of these pixel remasters might get my attention. I haven't touched 6 in a while so they may drag me back in for that one.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
heh heh... replies to that tweet are all either about the bad font or the lack of console release

That's the only tweet responses they get to anything FF PR related. I seriously hope they listen and patch these all by the time 6 is out (and announce console versions).

The FF Dot version went with the striped baggy pants look and had him looking a bit more to the left and showed off both the cloak and pants stripes. I kind of prefer the FF Dot version, but they went with more of an update of the original rather than a reinterpretation for the PRs.

Yeah they're focusing on replicating the original style rather than the FF Dot versions. Has me a bit worried for Relm and Kefka tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the only tweet responses they get to anything FF PR related. I seriously hope they listen and patch these all by the time 6 is out (and announce console versions).

Yeah they're focusing on replicating the original style rather than the FF Dot versions. Has me a bit worried for Relm and Kefka tbh.

And Gogo. Yang's PR sprite is giving me hope, as his PR sprite is almost the exact same as the FF Dot version, with no real reference to the older sprites other than a few pixels of yellow for the belt hanging behind him.

Tellah going to 18 pixels is a good sign that they are wiling to make Kefka and Gogo exceed the old boundaries to add more detail.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
So do you get the option of original soundtrack and new remastered soundtrack?

Friend of mine wants to play FF6 for the first time.
These remastered soundtracks are beautiful, but we want to hear the original SNES-style music.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017

Already ordered this from GMG. Not sure that I'll dive in immediately, but I have to buy it regardless.

Also, solid title.
That gif gets me everytime. Yep locked in with GMG.
I went from looking at the price for the full collection and going "I love me some FF but nah" now I'm like give them to me!

Also quick FF1 question, I am about to face the last boss, saved in front of him but I saw I need one more enemy apart from the last boss for the bestiary.
After I finish off the last boss will I go back to the overworld? Or should I load up an earlier save and find that pesky Tyrannosaur?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
That gif gets me everytime. Yep locked in with GMG.
I went from looking at the price for the full collection and going "I love me some FF but nah" now I'm like give them to me!

Also quick FF1 question, I am about to face the last boss, saved in front of him but I saw I need one more enemy apart from the last boss for the bestiary.
After I finish off the last boss will I go back to the overworld? Or should I load up an earlier save and find that pesky Tyrannosaur?
You will go back after saving clear data.

So do you get the option of original soundtrack and new remastered soundtrack?

Friend of mine wants to play FF6 for the first time.
These remastered soundtracks are beautiful, but we want to hear the original SNES-style music.

You do not currently no. There is some work being done regarding adding old soundtracks back in as mods but I dont think its complete for all games yet.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm at the Cyclone in FF2. I'm finding that my Cure spells from Firion aren't healing even though green numbers appear. What's up with that?