• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I saw some screenshots just now and thought "They fixed the font-wow, they actually care about what the fans think!".

Jumped into this thread and realized I'm a dope.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is Scholar better this time? I just kicked Hein's ass with a Scholar and three dead weights lol

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Is Scholar better this time? I just kicked Hein's ass with a Scholar and three dead weights lol
Yes. Damage from spell items, especially on weaknesses is really good, and 1000 HP from high potions is good for a while as single target heals.

The biggest limit is just having the items. We'd have to go out of our way to steal items for reliable damage outside of situational fights from what we pick up. That and healing will fall off eventually to a decently leveled White Mage.

But it has a good niche now.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So I guess the final cheevo doesn't pop until you wait til the credits finish, lol. I beat Chaos but closed out during the credits.

I feel like Chaos is really not balanced for limited healing. My only source of a healing is a Red Mage and the healing equipment, so group healing is really limited, and Chaos is eating my lunch even though I beat him once.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, stacking defensive buffs are the way to go there. Protera stacks with itself, so casting it with everyone on turn 1 will raise defense by 48, which is... a lot. This version of Chaos has 170 attack IIRC.

RW can learn Blink at level 1 (Defender also casts this on use) and is the most powerful evasion buff, but it's self target only. Invisra at level 6 is half as strong, but affects the entire party (White Robe also casts this). These spells also stack with themselves and each other, and eventually it won't be possible to be hit by physical attacks. So stack one or both types of buffs whenever you have some breathing room.
wtf lol. This should be explained by the game.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So I just started on the first game and I guess the first objective is going to the castle in the north west. But what the hell? Finding tough-ass enemies already. Getting killed here. Inn doesn't revive. Then in the actual castle, random encounters totally wiping out my entire party. How are you supposed to play this game lol? Magic looks like it's very limited use. Is it really just mash "Attack" in every battle?

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat FF1 this morning. Chaos gave my White Wizard a workout. Everything in the second half of the game was pretty face-roll up to there.
KM6Uxci.png

Now on to FF2 -- the worst part of which is the analysis paralysis.
I'm going with
Firion - Paladin (Sword, Shield, White Magic)
Maria - Black Mage (Staff, Black Magic)
Guy - Warrior (Axe, Spear)
Still trying to understand light armor from heavy and magic penalty and stuff.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So I just started on the first game and I guess the first objective is going to the castle in the north west. But what the hell? Finding tough-ass enemies already. Getting killed here. Inn doesn't revive. Then in the actual castle, random encounters totally wiping out my entire party. How are you supposed to play this game lol? Magic looks like it's very limited use. Is it really just mash "Attack" in every battle?
Welcome to NES JRPGs. Please enjoy your stay.

But, honestly, yeah. A lot of the game is going to be mashing attack. Magic is very limited until later levels. You're probably gonna have to grind a bit too, if not for EXP, then for the money to get new equipment. Luckily money comes pretty quick in this version. Make sure you check the town shops and get all the best equipment you can!

Side note, got my Plat on FF1!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you mainly repeat the "attack" command. Power level around Cornelia for maybe 3-4 levels, until you deem that encounters no longer give you enough experience to level up in a few battles.

I assure you that FF1 is quite easy. You just need to adjust your playstyle. It'll all fall into place.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Huff, I forgot Marsh Cave was pretty rough experience, but managed to tough it out. I'm not going to save scum on level ups to get better stat boosts so my black mage is pretty much a fragile glass compared to everyone else. I'm glad that this version does use the original magic system. Makes things much more interesting.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Beat FF1 this morning. Chaos gave my White Wizard a workout. Everything in the second half of the game was pretty face-roll up to there.
KM6Uxci.png

I'm going with
I've only ever beaten the Dawn of Souls version of FF1, and that one was kind of painfully easy. I did not expect the Chaos difficulty spike for this one. Especially since I only had a Red Mage for healing. I let my friends pick classes and ended up with a two thieves, a red mage, and a black mage.

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever beaten the Dawn of Souls version of FF1, and that one was kind of painfully easy. I did not expect the Chaos difficulty spike for this one. Especially since I only had a Red Mage for healing. I let my friends pick classes and ended up with a two thieves, a red mage, and a black mage.
Your friends wanted you to have a squishy party. I found my Ninja was just a lesser Knight. The only advantage he has was having Temper to make my Knight better.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Your friends wanted you to have a squishy party. I found my Ninja was just a lesser Knight. The only advantage he has was having Temper to make my Knight better.
Hahaha. None of them had an idea what the others picked. I just sent them each the class list and told them to pick one. One if them doesn't even play games. So it wasn't deliberate. Was a fun challenge though.

But yeah, I was a bit disappointed by the Ninja's damage output. I guess it's supposed to be supplemented by the fact they can cast a few Black Magic spells and buffs but I can't say it traded off the squishiness.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First game done!

Now for Two. I have started this game many times over the years, but never made it far. I am determined to see it through to the end this time.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Welcome to NES JRPGs. Please enjoy your stay.

But, honestly, yeah. A lot of the game is going to be mashing attack. Magic is very limited until later levels. You're probably gonna have to grind a bit too, if not for EXP, then for the money to get new equipment. Luckily money comes pretty quick in this version. Make sure you check the town shops and get all the best equipment you can!

Side note, got my Plat on FF1!
Okay, I see. So grinding is to be expected. I went ahead and bought everything then. It has certainly helped.

Yeah you mainly repeat the "attack" command. Power level around Cornelia for maybe 3-4 levels, until you deem that encounters no longer give you enough experience to level up in a few battles.

I assure you that FF1 is quite easy. You just need to adjust your playstyle. It'll all fall into place.
Yeah, it looks like the first few level ups made a big difference. Most battles have gotten easier.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
KM6Uxci.png

I'm going with

That's been pretty much my setup though I've made Firion more support (Esuna, Protect, etc). Wverybody has a bit of magic- some of the enemies drop so many spell tomes that it's a no brainer to give everyone Cure and some Level 1 black magic.

I don't know the exact dividing line between the equipment tiers so I haven't given Maria any armor but a shield. It hasn't been an issue- I can't think of a time when I've had to raise or her even heal her excessively. She's honestly more durable than Firion.

I'm about to go to Coliseum and, so far, so good.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Does the "Whole party over level 50" achievement only pop when you beat the game? Nevermind it activated when I left the dungeon.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got it working without crashing or freezing. Seems going into borderless full screen mode caused the issue.

Still kinda early (just got the ship and levelling/getting my lvl 3 spells, etc), but enjoying the hell of this game.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
These remasters are fantastic. This is the best version of FF3. So excited to see what they do with 4-5-6!

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I ended up being pretty over leveled by the time I got to Astos (was gil farming for a while), and just one Haste cast on my Monk was enough to totally obliterate him lol. I was kind of surprised. He spent three turns casting Haste on himself, only to get pooped on in an instant.

The battle before picking up the Crown ended up being worse than Astos. That one was brutal.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Started Final Fantasy II, just grinding outside the first town getting a feel for it.

I've never played this one. Tonally, it feels very proto-Final Fantasy IV so far. I'm actually digging the somber tone of it all (again, like five minutes in, could change).

Oct 25, 2017
Meh that kinda sucks. Will probably play 2 and 3 on an emulator with a fast forward button.

Hard to get faster than it is. None of them are longer than 15 hours, and 1/2 are both well below that. It takes all of 0.5 seconds to run from a battle.

Did they fix the font or whatever?

Officially? No. On PC it is trivially easy (just need to rename a file so it points to the Japanese font set thinking it is for English)

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Finished FFI. Final boss was pretty easy, but it helps that I was indirectly grinding trying to get Warmech to show up. I saw in the credits that TOSE did a lot of the work on this, not surprising lol. Also saw that Kitase was the supervisor, so I see he's already getting to work on being the new steward of the franchise.

Overall a pretty good version of the game, maybe my favorite even. I kinda feel the urge to skip to FFIII because I've mostly seen nothing but praise for it but I'll try to stick to FFII.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Finished FFI. Final boss was pretty easy, but it helps that I was indirectly grinding trying to get Warmech to show up. I saw in the credits that TOSE did a lot of the work on this, not surprising lol. Also saw that Kitase was the supervisor, so I see he's already getting to work on being the new steward of the franchise.

Overall a pretty good version of the game, maybe my favorite even. I kinda feel the urge to skip to FFIII because I've mostly seen nothing but praise for it but I'll try to stick to FFII.
I'm hoping this is a sign of the Kitase era of FF vs the Hashimoto era. The treatment of classic FF re releases has been patchy up until really the last couple of years.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell is the overworld theme in FF3 pretty. If this is a preview of things to come, the music in FF6 is probably going to make me cry.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

I had a similar issue with the Dark Piscodemons in FF1, had ribbon and protect ring on my fighter and he still got one-shotted as their autos have a death proc chance. i figured it was simply a flub in the code as it was the attack was not evaded and so the death proc wasn't counted as preventable and the enemy was allowed to roll for it only for it to land. However Quake from enemies is properly nullified so i figured it was more about it being coded to the enemies auto attacks. I know many enemies in FF2 are similar with their autos being built in the same fashion. So it might be a shared issue if those ailments in the tweet were also attached to autos. A more accurate description would be these items prevent these statuses originating via spells if my conjecture is true of which, there's a chance it may not be.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Final Fantasy I is complete. The only fight I lost is the final one, and I won after trying again (hint: use Haste and Temper). Next is the weird one, where in the GBA version I fought the final boss for an hour, lost, and that pretty much killed my drive to beat it for years.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to get faster than it is. None of them are longer than 15 hours, and 1/2 are both well below that. It takes all of 0.5 seconds to run from a battle.

Officially? No. On PC it is trivially easy (just need to rename a file so it points to the Japanese font set thinking it is for English)

no but it's kinda not that bad when you're actually playing it

Hurm, that does sound too bad.