• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Whelp, I just finished FF4. Final dungeon and boss were a cakewalk compared to FF3. Actually, I'd say the ending was easier than all of the Pixel Remasters so far. I did spam Bahamut a lot, though, which was doing 9999 damage almost every time.

I didn't farm for all of the items and summons, though. I might get around to that eventually if FFV takes a long time to come out. But I don't see much point in doing it except for completionist sake.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Here's a couple screenshots I took that I thought might make some for good desktop wallpapers. Right-click images to open in new tab. They're 3840x2160.

RedxOTG.png

fzbnun6.png

ubBBxku.png

WziIWVO.png

3wHM9k1.png

CTiEaX4.png

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It was on a few hours ago. It didn't show any footage of V. Not sure if they announced a release date but I've not seen anyone suggesting they did.
I'm fine with that. I kind of hope they take their time with it and also get some more patches out for the first 4 games.

I'm thinking about doing a 2nd playthrough of FF4 and trying to get all the missables, but I don't want to burn myself out.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird how hard it is to get those 1% drops to drop in seemingly all the 2D releases.
I remember needing 1000+ kills for some of them on the PSP.
In the DS version though, all the 1% drops reliably dropped from roughly 1/100 kills.
Farming Pink Tails was surprisingly consistent.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Kinda weird how hard it is to get those 1% drops to drop in seemingly all the 2D releases.
I remember needing 1000+ kills for some of them on the PSP.
In the DS version though, all the 1% drops reliably dropped from roughly 1/100 kills.
Farming Pink Tails was surprisingly consistent.

I'm actually quite worried that the drops are in some way similar to drops in After Years. Those were drops you could cheese with different weapon/armor combinations on your party, while fighting particular battles and entering in a particular sequence of commands. I thought way back when I played After Years, oh wow this is how I used to think it was done as a kid, when in reality it was just random. But it turns what's supposed to be the excitement of getting a rare drop into a chore of intentionally aligning the stars in your favor.

I don't think it's like this here, but I have no way of knowing, because I don't know that anyone has attempted to cheese it in this way yet.

Jan 11, 2018
Now the question, do I bother playing After Years while waiting for V?

It's pretty much the equivalent of Re:Chain of Memories for Final Fantasy IV. Almost everything is recycled from the first game, including plot elements. But now starring everyone's generic "new generation" kids.

I would recommend playing the 3D remake if you haven't experienced it yet. I don't consider it a replacement for the 2D version, but it's a good complement to it!

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I warmed up to most of the new OST of FF4 and yes it is amazing. Better than the DS one in every way. (Still think that the best version of "four fiends" is on the gba game, but this would be a close second)
Hopefully by the time this releases on consoles they fix the shortcomings and bugs as well as the enemy AI, general difficulty and the easy grind.

Oct 25, 2017
I warmed up to most of the new OST of FF4 and yes it is amazing. Better than the DS one in every way. (Still think that the best version of "four fiends" is on the gba game, but this would be a close second)
Hopefully by the time this releases on consoles they fix the shortcomings and bugs as well as the enemy AI, general difficulty and the easy grind.

I think bugs will get fixed, scrolling might get fixed, but the only major AI problem I've seen is Rubicante self-casting Ice 3 too early in the fight, once. General difficulty really isn't that far off form the other 2D versions. You can just run from a few more fights than usual while staying close to the original curve. Level and curve aren't the reasons why 2D FF4 was always an easy and shallow game.

People make the game out to be way more complicated than it is. Too much footage of old versions I see people wasting time while in menus, where the AI autobattle that does nothing but spam attack would be considerably more effective. I really suggest people, even at like mid-thirties, just auto-battle their way through the Sealed Cave. It totally works.

Last edited:

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think bugs will get fixed, scrolling might get fixed, but the only major AI problem I've seen is Rubicante self-casting Ice 3 too early in the fight, once. General difficulty really isn't that far off form the other 2D versions. You can just run from a few more fights than usual while staying close to the original curve. Level and curve aren't the reasons why 2D FF4 was always an easy and shallow game.

Theres other aspects such as sisters casting reflect on you and not losing gil from running. But yeah, I mean if anything now would be a good time to change things. People have been complaining that even in comparison to the other games this is an easy romp.

Oct 25, 2017
Theres other aspects such as sisters casting reflect on you and not losing gil from running. But yeah, I mean if anything now would be a good time to change things. People have been complaining that even in comparison to the other games this is an easy romp.

They're not suddenly going to go out of their way to make 2D FF4 something totally different than the game it has been for decades, i.e. one of the easiest FFs. Sisters/Baigan casting reflect on the player via bouncing isn't really a problem, and may be intended-- neither of them never target the player directly with offensive spells so most of what it does is just fuck with your own heals.

I've never seen somebody complain about the removal of the gil loss, as that was an absolutely atrocious design mechanic and reimplementing it would totally undermine the other balance changes that they've made. As it is now, if you want to be underleveled you can just run from encounters. There is 0% chance they decide to shove that back in. Same with inventory limits. Yeah, sure, makes the game easier, but who really cares? Likewise, they could go back to the terrible ATB-prototype of the SNES/PSX version to make the game "harder", but changes that make the game very slightly marginally more difficulty but way more clunky to play just aren't worth it at all.

I always put 2D FF4 as one of the worst Final Fantasies, but the game is a hell of a lot more enjoyable as a smooth ~9-12 hour game than it is a clunky 20+ hour game. The game is a shade easier than previous versions, maybe/possibly (enemy speed TBD), but flows so much nicer in pretty much every way that it can.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018

Different strokes for different folks. I personally think the DS soundtrack is great, and much prefer it to every other version of the soundtrack except the Pixel Remaster one which is mostly slightly better - but there are certainly quite a few tracks that failed to impress me. Sorrow and Loss / Tears of Sorrow is a major downgrade for me. As is the Bomb Ring tune. But overall, it's a very good interpretation of the soundtrack.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I thought The After Years was fine on PSP, nothing amazing but good fan service and I assume that's the version most have played? I wanted to try it again via the 3D remake, has anyone played that version? I have to imagine it is as different as IV 3D Remake is to it's other versions.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The absolute only reason to play After Years is the Band system. Seeing these players do crazy stuff in battle together is sweet. After that, the whole thing reads like an adaptation of the original.

The worst thing After Years did for me was make me realize how poorly thought out the original story is. It's strength was in its characters and the promise of their future, but it was not really a future we needed to see.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Now the question, do I bother playing After Years while waiting for V?
Please don't.

-Cecil & Rosa have a kid who just says "Huh!?" all the time.
-Palom manages to become even more insufferable, and Porom's entire character development is "I wonder how Palom is doing?"
-Golbez spends the entire game in a towel
-Edge has a fan club and they're all terrible.
-The villain is a paper-thin Mary Sue.
-They turned the Serpent Road into an actual dungeon and it sucks.

I thought The After Years was fine on PSP, nothing amazing but good fan service and I assume that's the version most have played? I wanted to try it again via the 3D remake, has anyone played that version? I have to imagine it is as different as IV 3D Remake is to it's other versions.

The 3D Remake of After Years (available on Steam & elsewhere) removes the character-specific challenge dungeons & a slew of optional bonus bosses. So yeah it's definitely not worth it.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love IV, but could never get into After Years. I just got bored every time I tried and found the episodic style killed the momentum of something I was trying to play all at once. Felt like groundhogs day where I just kept restarting an RPG instead of being one coherent game.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Textbox Portraits

ThumbnailTextboxPortraits.png

unknown.png

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gK9IhUZ5mFOz9FfHKIBC4cuGv3G6iIt9?usp=sharing

The author said that it was really hard to make this mod. Box and name placements can't be toyed with much. He has only done PSP portraits so far, but intend to make more variants with other portraits later.
this modder is on a roll, nothing but great stuff.
i bet he will be the first to replace all the monsters sprites with the psp ones.

Oct 25, 2017
this modder is on a roll, nothing but great stuff.
i bet he will be the first to replace all the monsters sprites with the psp ones.

That would probably look awful, like a giant resolution mismatch that was one of the most significant complaints about the previous mobile/PC versions of FF5 and FF6.

It isn't that hard of a change as far as I know, as unlike implementing the Record Keeper or GBA sprites there isn't an expectation of matching resolution and making sure that the pixel alignment of each sprite is aligned with the grid that everything else is.

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
That would probably look awful, like a giant resolution mismatch that was one of the most significant complaints about the previous mobile/PC versions of FF5 and FF6.

It isn't that hard of a change as far as I know, as unlike implementing the Record Keeper or GBA sprites there isn't an expectation of matching resolution and making sure that the pixel alignment of each sprite is aligned with the grid that everything else is.
You're probably right but the difference in resolution didn't bother me while playing mobile VI.
You can mix the new monsters sprites and old character sprites with the atma mod.
Edit: But we're talking about IV not VI here, so the diff in resolution could be a little more jarring like you said.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This new release should allow everyone to have a smooth experience for anything but diagonals at 60Hz. No Gsync or RTSS required.

github.com

Releases · noskill-io/ffpr-tool

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Tool. Contribute to noskill-io/ffpr-tool development by creating an account on GitHub.

Nirran

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It only took me until my mid 90s, but I finally got an artemis bow drop. That's that and pink tail out of the way so far.

Nirran

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's kind of funny to me that they make these things so hard to get, yet they're not needed at all because the final boss is very easy and there's no super difficult optional boss.

Oh I agree. I just like hunting rare things especially in calm games like this haha. It is unfortunate there was no super bosses in this version to use these weapons on.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Even if I'm not picking up the Pixel Remasters, I"m glad I check on this thread. This is the first time I learned that the After Years was ever made in 3D lol

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
We're whalers on the moon,
We carry a harpoon,
For they ain't no whales
So we tell tall tales
And sing our whaling tune.

You know what I miss? The crunchy sound effect of Cecil's holy swords during battle. Now it's just another slashing sound. Lame. Here I am rocking Excalibur, so I want to hear the sound of mystic metal grinding baddies into dust!

This new release should allow everyone to have a smooth experience for anything but diagonals at 60Hz. No Gsync or RTSS required.

github.com

Releases · noskill-io/ffpr-tool

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Tool. Contribute to noskill-io/ffpr-tool development by creating an account on GitHub.
No change. Clearly I must be doing something wrong. Or slight jidder in Borderless is as good as it's going to get in which case I guess I'm okay.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
We carry a harpoon,
For they ain't no whales
So we tell tall tales

You know what I miss? The crunchy sound effect of Cecil's holy swords during battle. Now it's just another slashing sound. Lame. Here I am rocking Excalibur, so I want to hear the sound of mystic metal grinding baddies into dust!

No change. Clearly I must be doing something wrong. Or slight jidder in Borderless is as good as it's going to get in which case I guess I'm okay.

Oh yeah borderless does not work well with this game at all unfortunately. The engine vsync seems out of sync with the desktop in borderless. Nothing I do makes it run smooth in borderless without gsync unfortunately.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I played all 4 games in borderless with fast sync forced in the nvidia control panel

It doesn't fix the scrolling issue, but that doesn't really bother me. It takes care of the screen tearing while keeping input lag to a minimum and that's good enough for me.

I do respect the effort some of you are making to fix it, though

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
We carry a harpoon,
For they ain't no whales
So we tell tall tales

OMG, they removed that? That sucks, I wonder if there's a way you could mod it in