• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that Neoweee correctly predicted people would claim they'd nerfed the difficulty when actually it was always this easy.

We already had somebody last week claiming it was Easy Type based on the Mom Bomb explosion damage, which...

1) Wasn't different for SNES/Easy Type?
2) The numbers shown in the video were within RNG of the SF/PSP numbers.
3) Two of the characters actually took more damage than I could find in footage of older versions.

There's just randomness and weird difficulty pacing. Most people that played FF4 on SNES had it as their first or second RPG, ever, compared to people playing now, where it is like the 167th RPG for a bunch a players. It is just going to be perceived as easier unless it got an absolutely gargantuan difficulty buff.

The game is so blazingly fast that the odds of people bouncing from the game over Game Overs is basically zero, and unless people actually give up it just won't have any real perception of difficulty.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Went straight from single digit damage to near full party wipe before being able to move.

Difficulty spiiiikes! And some of the early game characters being super shitty and starting at a lower level than a normal party member (Rydia, Twins, Edward?) and thus prone to just dying right at the start of a fight.

Diagonal movement reduces the number of required encounters for FF4 more than it does any of the other five games.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Cockatrice summon is in this game right? Can't confirm whether or not it was in SNES JP version.

Glabados

Sep 22, 2018
Kind of bummed to hear about some glitchiness 🤔 Maybe I play through Tales of Arise first, ha.

(Eh who am I kidding I'm definitely jamming on this immediately after work)

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, the music in Four is filling me with life.

They need to give the pixel treatment to Chrono Trigger, just so I can hear what they'd do with the music.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, the music in Four is filling me with life.

They need to give the pixel treatment to Chino Trigger, just so I can hear what they'd do with the music.

IMO, Chrono Trigger and Live-a-Live, and many some of the DQs, are next up for the Pixel Remaster treatment. There has unambiguously been a shift for Square Enix to bit the bullet and spend a lot more effort up front to get stuff into Unreal or Unity for easier porting, updating, and general longevity.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't started IV yet (a few other games are ahead of it right now @_@) but just installed it to listen through the music in this version and I love it. God I can't wait to see what they do with VI's soundtrack.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
So yeah this is definitely an updated translation. It's basically the same thing being said but just tweaked to sound clearer and more natural. I like it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the music in IV is just slaying me. It's so fucking good. I'm also digging the speediness of the battle system.

And yes, the dawn of the ATB, where I can turn the battle speed to high and set it to active for a bit of peppiness. I recommend not overlooking this if you want to make it a little more interesting

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy this version of Mysida's theme. Gives me FFRK Halloween Mysidia ver. vibes at least in terms of "energy" if that makes any sense:

but more String(s) forward and a lovely bass (FF4 PR's version i mean)

Also the only thing I noticed that made things easier is that Pray has a decent chance of working as opposed to how awful it was prior to getting Rosa's exclusive prayer accessory in the GBA which then made it OP.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the songs feel like an awkward mix of synthesizer and orchestration. And my memory might be fooling me but there'll be songs that have instances with a lot of reverb and then other instances with zero reverb. The upgraded soundtracks are overall great but I do have my nitpicks and I wish they would've just gone full orchestration.

Agreed. I have a similar problem with FFXII's remastered soundtrack, an uneasy combination of live elements with samples. It was probably a budgetary decision.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the original versions of FF IV are just fairly easy.

I remember getting to the oasis town in the early part of the game in the 3DS version, and even just the regular enemies were like life and death, and I had to grind. Here it's just nothingsauce so far.

Not complaining. It's a comfy game, and I wouldn't expect it to be hard this early. Really enjoying the look and sound of the game so far. The visuals work so well.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Caved in and bought 4 after hearing so many great things about the music :(

Does 4 need a font mod like the other Pixel Remasters?

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want to buy this for PC, so I'm currently looking at the Android version.

Does anyone know if it's possible to screen mirror my phone to a Chromecast and play this on tv? I have a sweet phone controller, but I want to be able to play on my tv sometimes and if casting to the tv works well, then I think I'll snag the Android version today.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't really want to buy this for PC, so I'm currently looking at the Android version.

Does anyone know if it's possible to screen mirror my phone to a Chromecast and play this on tv? I have a sweet phone controller, but I want to be able to play on my tv sometimes and if casting to the tv works well, then I think I'll snag the Android version today.
I don't think it offers controller support. 🙁

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone was asking for the original SNES font. Here it is (I think), along with a UI overhaul to make it look like the SNES version.

ThumbnailUISNES.png

hoogathy

Sep 23, 2020
So yeah this is definitely an updated translation. It's basically the same thing being said but just tweaked to sound clearer and more natural. I like it.
I compared a couple lines from this version against scripts of the other ports online, and I gotta say I like the way they smoothed out this translation. Some of the more awkward turns of phrase have been subtly rearranged.

The Legends of Localization piece comparing the first three versions (and sometimes the PS1) was really illuminating:
legendsoflocalization.com

Legends of Localization: Final Fantasy IV Translation Comparison

The journey to explore Final Fantasy II/IV's original localization begins!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Final Battle theme sounds good. Waaaaaay better than the DS version, but I think I still prefer the SNES original. The PR version sounds a little more... softer than I'd like?

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, that's a total deal breaker... I definitely don't want to play this only with touch

fwiw, the touch controls are pretty good. it has a virtual joystick that is pretty good, and you can drag your finger anywhere on the screen to move. there's also an alternate movement setting where you can tap to move to a specific spot that is pretty great. Not a replacement for a controller, by any stretch of the imagination, but I've played the first 3 on my iPad and it felt fine to me.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Baigan was the first real difficult boss for me on the SNES version, but it wasn't that hard as long as you weren't underleveled.

hoogathy

Sep 23, 2020
The Fiends were all pretty hard on PS1 when FF Anthology came out, but I chalk that up to not knowing the strategy. After playing several other versions since, they don't seem as tough anymore.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
fwiw, the touch controls are pretty good. it has a virtual joystick that is pretty good, and you can drag your finger anywhere on the screen to move. there's also an alternate movement setting where you can tap to move to a specific spot that is pretty great. Not a replacement for a controller, by any stretch of the imagination, but I've played the first 3 on my iPad and it felt fine to me.
Well that's good to know. I'm debating just grabbing the PC version now. Especially since I can mod the font in that version. I guess we'll see. Thanks for your help!

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
The fiends in this version are decently spikey in terms of difficulty, kinda hilarious how Rosa got roasted for like 2k dmg out of nowhere though.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Baigan was the first real difficult boss for me on the SNES version, but it wasn't that hard as long as you weren't underleveled.

My friend had a Super Game Genie and put invulnerability on because he just wanted to play through it. There was a bug and Baigan also gained invulnerability. He called my house phone (We were like 11) and asked if the Baigan fight took several hours to finish and I was like no... Try turning off the game genie. Killed him in the next turn.

Just a fun anecdote.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
My friend had a Super Game Genie and put invulnerability on because he just wanted to play through it. There was a bug and Baigan also gained invulnerability. He called my house phone (We were like 11) and asked if the Baigan fight took several hours to finish and I was like no... Try turning off the game genie. Killed him in the next turn.

Just a fun anecdote.

I had an active game genie with invuln on for my first time through the intro of Megaman X. =x

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I'm very curious to hear how they end up handling the more dynamic combat backgrounds in FFIV, particularly the final battle

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Absolutely loved the
Leviathan scene, their spritework and animation is really good and the water and whirlpool effects were really nice

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That was new additions that have been stripped from this version. So no rewards for job 99 in this one.

The new additions would have to been existent in these new versions and thus removed for them to be stripped in the first place.

Saying they were stripped is a bit of a misnomer. I think it's a fair point that the Pixel Remasters are based on the original releases and not re-releases and pixel art and programming quirks aside were more or less built from the ground up with the original versions in mind.