• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
The remasters look way better than I originally imagined or thought when they were announced. I can see myself playing through all of them again.

Vyr

Jun 3, 2021
Scotland
I actually kinda like how they look. My biggest fear is always the UI on PC though so since Square-Enix love to just copypaste the mobile touch screen UI without any regard for how it looks on a monitor.

I've been meaning to marathon the classic FF games for a long time so this might end up being perfect for me.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
EDIT: Also I've just checked and you get many more MP charges than 9. Up to 40 level 1 spells at level 99. So I really don't see why spell charges are any indication of the bonus content not being there.
Oh, I missed this.

FFI NES and Origins had a level 50 cap and a max of 9 charges per spell level, though Red Mage/Wizard was slower and only hit 7-8 for their top spell levels and Knight/Ninja only had up to 4 for the few levels they had access to.

Origins also had an easy mode that raised the level cap to 99 and increased stat/spell charge gains and probably some other stuff. This was kind of similar to the difficulty level of DoS, but still played differently because DoS changes a lot of the game's underlying mechanics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they carried over Origins easy mode as an option, but I would be very surprised if you could have more than 9 spells of a given level by default.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Will definitely get 3 to play the 2d version finally

5 as well because its the best game

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Oh, I missed this.

FFI NES and Origins had a level 50 cap and a max of 9 charges per spell level, though Red Mage/Wizard was slower and only hit 7-8 for their top spell levels and Knight/Ninja only had up to 4 for the few levels they had access to.

Origins also had an easy mode that raised the level cap to 99 and increased stat/spell charge gains and probably some other stuff. This was kind of similar to the difficulty level of DoS, but still played differently because DoS changes a lot of the game's underlying mechanics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they carried over Origins easy mode as an option, but I would be very surprised if you could have more than 9 spells of a given level by default.
Unfortunately it looks like the FF1 bonus dungeons aren't in :(

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be awesome if FF1 allowed you to choose between spell charges or mp magic system before starting the game tbh, more options never hurt.

Abisales

Feb 5, 2019
Because that more than what all six of these cost combined? Why do companies ever do remasters instead of AAA remakes? Square Enix is already actively developing four 2D-HD games. They aren't going to go suddenly 100% all-in on high-budget remakes, they have to balance remasters, remakes, and genuinely new games.

FF1 is already getting a high-budget reimagining (Final Fantasy Origin), and I suspect FF6 will eventually get something higher budget at some point. But Square Enix has a ton of games in the pipeline at the moment to the point where it is hard to imagine there being appetite for tacking on a few more $10M-$20M remakes. The 11 "announced" remasters/remakes/reimagining, + FF16, Triangle Strategy, new SaGa, new Octopath, new Mana, new Taro game, and that's just from the JP side of things.

It all depends whether these are from the ground up, or ports of a specific version with overhauld graphics engine. We really don't know enough to say.

There is no chance After Years is part of the initial $15 release.

Nothing about the PSP release grabbed me. DS version or bust. I think I'm going to find it extremely difficult to recommend the PR version over the existing Mobile/PC release for it.
Four HD 2D games? Which ones? I only know of Triangle and Dragon Quest III.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
If Square Enix are…let's say 'revising' the bonus content then these are the things I hope they keep in:
-Soul of Rebirth
-Deumion
-Zeromus EG
-FFIV Party Switching
-Enuo
-FFV New Jobs
-Kaiser Dragon
-New FFVI Summons

Everything else I could live without. If they just removed it all I'd be pissed.

When I read that Enuo was added to FFV Advance, I thought that was really cool. My original playthrough of FFV (on PS1), they kept mentioning the guy and the fact he never showed up was kinda fascinating to me. Half expected him to show up at the end after Exdeath but naw, he was just backdrop lore story and that was great. Great choice for an option boss you seek out.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
These look good, but I also enjoyed the mobile ports. Kind of funny that now that people get the sprites they want that the bonus content is going away. Monkey paw indeed.

May 15, 2019
I actually don't think these sprites look bad, but I'd probably still just download a mod to replace all the art assets with the NES and SNES originals. Have to assume mods for that will come pretty quick after release.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
at first the excessive use of colors kinda put me off, but I get what they're going for now. kind of a ps1-pixel art aesthetic, similar to what the la-mulana remake was attempting. looks good.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I do prefer the old sprites but the new ones are fine. And they are much better than the previous remakes. Really hope these come to Switch eventually.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
It'll always be baffling to me how even in 2021 with all the advanced programming/art tech, these game companies have so much trouble emulating exactly what we had 25 years ago.

My old 90's self wouldn't believe me if I showed him all this.

Oct 30, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

With the PSP store shutting down for good.. one only think a company like SE would have known better and port this perfect version instead of the one they are doing right now.....

SE is the most company I really don't get, like they puzzles me the most in the industry.

Easy decisions would have grantee them easy money YET they turn a blind eye to it :\

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in retrospect the PSP versions look like fan made games or something

didn't have issue with them at the time but if anything has to be the definitive edition looks like i'll go with Pixel Remaster

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

With the PSP store shutting down for good.. one only think a company like SE would have known better and port this perfect version instead of the one they are doing right now.....

SE is the most company I really don't get, like they puzzles me the most in the industry.

Easy decisions would have grantee them easy money YET they turn a blind eye to it :\

But the DS version is better, which they did port. And the PSP version doesn't integer scale up to 1080, which is one of the main reasons they are doing these ports (uniform pixel density for everything).

PSP->HD isn't as simple as people seem to think it is.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
But if it came to consoles as a pack/collection it wouldn't have a separate platinum for each game
All the Kingdom Hearts games had separate platinums, as do FFX/X-2.

But yeah, after the Crystal Chronicles debacle, I'm 99% expecting either one big trophy list for all the games or shitty little ones for each. It sucks because I REALLY want to platinum the entire mainline series, but I have no faith.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
With IV they at least need to redo the script or use the DS version. They GBA script it not good in comparison to it.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
maxresdefault.jpg

PSP isn't even 480p resolution. You can't scale that and have it look good on a HD monitor. Not to mention the assets used are just low budget tile swaps and generic new battle backgrounds. I think the approach is go big HD-2D or do a light pixel art remake like what they are doing. The PSP character sprites were laughed at for being Flash animation like back in the days anyway and didn't have half the charm the original character sprites did.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
maxresdefault.jpg

Now I've seen the Pixel Remasters in more detail, no way I'm going back. The PSP battle screen looks fugly as hell in comparison.

Only concern for me right now is the content.

Oct 25, 2017
But the DS version is better, which they did port. And the PSP version doesn't integer scale up to 1080, which is one of the main reasons they are doing these ports (uniform pixel density for everything).

PSP->HD isn't as simple as people seem to think it is.

The background actually extends to the bottom of the PSP screen, it is just covered by the UI. So they could just extend the 480 x 270 (technically 480 x 270) to 640 x 360, and then multiply by 3 to fill a 1080 resolution.

Well, that's how I would do it. It would also scale to Switch's 720p screen.

Ahh... the issues of how to convert games that only were 256 x 224 in resolution. (Technically the battle screens were only 240 x 224 with the remaining pixels black)

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I never even noticed the buildings in the original. i thought it was just a shot of an empty canyon and you didn't see Narshe until the opening credits.
Well they could definitely see it since their first line is "Is that the city?" and then pans over to give a less obstructed view. But they should still be miles away.