• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
People here complaining they didn't use the PSP sprites, meanwhile I'm here mad that they didn't make the NES ones look as crappy as the NES.

I don't want upgraded graphics, I want a genuine NES/SNES experience (with maybe optional save states and corrected bugs).

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, because I completely disagree -- even though I know it's a minority opinion! I absolutely hated the FF3 DS remake and preferred the Famicom version I played years before. It's why I'm looking forward to the 2d version here so much.
I agree. Although I enjoyed the DS version. III is a favorite of mine.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I wonder why they used the PSP version logos of 1 and 2 but not the DS logo of 4. Especially since 1 and 2 have the PS1 logos that they usually use.
capsule_616x353.jpg

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I made a comparison of Cecil's overworld sprite between the original SNES sprite, the GBA sprite, and the new one.
59DjsTu.gif

It's not as featureless and low-color as the SNES one, but it's not as warm as the GBA one. It's lighter and seemingly closer to the art. He doesn't have orange skin and random yellow streaks in his hair and now has an actual eye color.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
I made a comparison of Cecil's overworld sprite between the original SNES sprite, the GBA sprite, and the new one.
59DjsTu.gif

It's not as featureless and low-color as the SNES one, but it's not as warm as the GBA one. It's lighter and seemingly closer to the art. He doesn't have orange skin and random yellow streaks in his hair and now has an actual eye color.
The GBA one looks really good but this looks good too imo

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
59DjsTu.gif

This is helpful. New sprite doesn't look bad. I feel like the GBA is the best art that is utilizing the medium of pixels the most, however.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Man, I hope Paladin Cecil's battle sprites are based on the SNES ones too instead of the Amano art. Nothing against the Amano art, they just look nothing alike. Be consistent!

It drove me crazy that the PSP version had Amano-based overworld sprites, but SNES-based battle sprites.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I know. I'm just saying that the PSP versions of 1 and 2 have logos that were used even afterwards by the company. I remember cause I always asked myself why they didn't use the PSP logos for the first two.
final-fantasy-logo.jpg

ff2-logo.jpg
With 1 and 2 they consider them as upgrades of the same games, but FFIV 3D has always been considered a "distinct" game than FFIV 2D

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
59DjsTu.gif

huh for some reason I never noticed they had redone some of the spritework in the GBA port

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
I previously said doing HD-2D versions of good-looking 2D games would be a lateral move... but I guess I was wrong, the true lateral move is doing new 2D versions of SNES games still with SNES-like sprite limitations.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's not outrageous to say a lot of people would be willing to pay full price for a ROM dump.

This whole "rom dump" thing is stupid. The rom is the freaking game, what does it matter if it's the original file or whatever. If they are enjoyable and you think they're worth the price, you just buy it.

A lot of people are really happy to play a "rom" with minimal touch ups because they don't have access to the original game.

I personally love collections like this, and have bought several of them for the switch, and would love to buy more (not this butchered FF one though, I'll just play FFVI on my SNES mini thank you).

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
FF Origins for PS1 is still the my personal definitive version of I and II (thought the PSP ones looked kinda gross), but I kinda dig how these ones look a little more like the NES. Gives me hope for how FFIII turns out.

May 15, 2019
Not a fan of updating graphics for remasters but worst case scenario I'm sure people will just replace all the sprites with the originals.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people that already have the mobile versions of 1, 2 5 and 6 will have to rebuy them or pay some sort of "upgrade DLC",

SE didn't make any change to their names like the 3D versions of 3 and 4, but I can't imagine them just giving this away.

shame that the existing FF1 and FF2 will look better than the new versions

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
The new sprites look okay, especially compared with the old mobile ones, but at the same time they look flatter and smaller than the originals.

The very least SE could do is give us the option to switch between the new and old sprites.
Part of it seems to be because they don't have as many lines of black pixels to help define the characters' shapes and features, and part of it's because there isn't as much of a contrast between the colors of the pixels; just compare Terra's arm. The underside of her arm has a much darker shade in the old sprite than in the new. Locke's the same way. This, I think, gives them their "flat" look.

My guess is this is being done because the old sprites were designed to be seen on CRT display screens, and these new ones aren't.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
I'm sorry did they literally decide to make FFI, II, and IV look worse than their PSP counterparts? Bye lol
It's disappointing that "pixel graphics" seems to have become so stuck in the early 90s. A flaw of the PSP versions was that since sprites/tiles were so much larger than previous versions, the amount of world seen on screen was smaller even than GBA versions of the game. Since we're not still dealing with 480x272 screens, though, that's no longer an issue.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
It's disappointing that "pixel graphics" seems to have become so stuck in the early 90s. A flaw of the PSP versions was that since sprites/tiles were so much larger than previous versions, the amount of world seen on screen was smaller even than GBA versions of the game. Since we're not still dealing with 480x272 screens, though, that's no longer an issue.
Yeah, it seems like the "retro craze" (which didn't start really blossoming until after the PSP remakes) kinda halted a lot of progress in this regards. Everything now has to be "authentically 8-Bit," or whatever. So disappointing to me. I'd rather see the 16-bit style expanded upon, not used as an excuse to deliberately keep from pushing the limits.

Also, I'm skeptical of the addition of diagonal movement. Those Kemco RPGs have it, and it always makes the games seem... unpolished somehow.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
huh for some reason I never noticed they had redone some of the spritework in the GBA port
Yeah, the overworld sprites had the biggest changes. In-battle sprites are largely the same save for palette. The monster sprites got some reshading done as well, going from 8 to 16 colors as well.

But these new ones, as is the case with most new FF sprites, seem to disregard color limit, and waste colors excessively for a less proficient-looking sprite. Nearly-pillow shading, bad contrast. That's what it looks like in this new version in some spots. At least the rest looks much better.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this fanbase is terrible. You'd pay more for a ROM dump than you'd pay for an upgraded version with improved QOL? Fucking why? Having 2x speed and diagonal movement is going to make these play a lot smoother.
Yes, I would. The fonts would be better. Since the vast majority of the time spent with these games involves reading, that's the most important QoL aspect of all.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my fucking god Square Enix, can you give any less fucks about your English fonts these days? This is terrible.
That text cut off on the right side is trying to tell you that everything in the trailer is currently in-development and doesn't represent the final product. So yes, it's likely that they care about the English fonts, and the final product will look better :) I wouldn't be surprised if the games are currently all in Japanese, and they took a few screenshots and spent a few minutes subbing in English text in Photoshop or something for the trailer. Which is why it's a trailer of screenshots instead of videos.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That text cut off on the right side is trying to tell you that everything in the trailer is currently in-development and doesn't represent the final product. So yes, it's likely that they care about the English fonts, and the final product will look better :)
You do know that there is tons and tons of precedent of their English fonts being completely godawful in these remakes/remasters, right?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sorry did they literally decide to make FFI, II, and IV look worse than their PSP counterparts? Bye lol

I'm so confused.... Like.... Between this, and the muddy PS1 era ports..... I'm dying. This is such a weird way to celebrate your series, they've done SO MUCH better and the fans have been picking up so much slack. D:

FF8-Remastered-Balamb-Garden-students.jpg

LOOKIT THIS.... ✨ 😢
maxresdefault.jpg

59DjsTu.gif

WE HAD THIS 😢

I probably wouldn't care half as much if (1) this wasn't SE's flagship series, and (2) again, we've literally seen better. I'm sorta bummed lol. It's kinda eh. Oh well.....another re-re-re-rerelease for another E3 on Super Nintendo Switch.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The absurdity of these not being on console aside, I'm actually glad this isn't a collection. I have no interest in rebuying or replaying the NES games but I'd be super interested in the other three (especially V).

When they come to Switch I'll pick them up.

But you and I both know that there is a very good chance that the three SNES games together will cost as much or close to as much as a collection would have.

It absolutely should be a collection.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Just... what were they thinking? I swear this is not port-begging, but Steam/Mobile is such an insane, baffling choice, considering these games are already available for both platforms. And the Steam versions (at least my copy of FFVI) look arguably better than this through mods. What were they thinking? And of course they are being sold separately, again, instead of being released as a collection. What were they thinking? Who is this for, exactly?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Except literally everything in that picture is straight garbage trash.
I was talking about the font. You were complaining that in these text-heavy games, you want your fonts to be easy to read. Well there you go, the font is easy to read. The rest of that picture is the reason for these "pixel remasters" :)

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I was talking about the font. You were complaining that in these text-heavy games, you want your fonts to be easy to read. Well there you go, the font is easy to read. The rest of that picture is the reason for these "pixel remasters" :)
Well, to be fair, I think someone else was complaining about that (even though I agree with them). I don't love the font in the image there, but I agree, it's easy enough to read...