• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to screenshot some of the games from the 4K trailer. Best I can do for now.

m29uq7u.jpg

AtjwNvp.jpg

zGbps2v.jpg

lia45YH.jpg

I like seeing that fast forward symbol! Let's hope it's a feature in all of these games.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What exactly is the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series? Here's what we've managed to find out | RPG Site

Square Enix announced new versions for Final Fantasy I through VI - but what are these versions based off of, or are they entirely new? We've analyzed the trailer to figure out what we can.

Nothing new that we haven't discussed in this thread but still nice
The sprite of Celes looks an awful lot like the one from the mobile release. I don't like it.

ugh. Why can't Square get anything right with these old games. It's like a curse.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I wish/hope there's a way I could just buy FF3 standalone. This seems like the best official localized way to play that game. For 1/2/4 I'd go PSP, 5 GBA, and 6 SNES still (luckily I personally have access to all of those versions).
Curious why there is so much focus from fans on the FF3 port when it's generally cited as the worst/one of the worst classic FF games?

I am even seeing the very people that say it's the worst FF game also being very particular about having a better way to play it.

What am I missing?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem all bad.
It might mean we finally get an unfucked version of FFVI.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah exactly.

I dunno. I'm super gutted these are Steam/Mobile. I know they'll come to consoles eventually but I don't want to wait another year on top of whenever these come out.
Hm, but what makes you think they will bring them to Console at all? Why would they do so after PC/mobile? Why not just not announce them for Consoles, or say they were coming to them later for that was the plan?

Broward

Oct 26, 2017
Hell iOS supports controllers too, Apple literally sells PS5 controllers in their store now.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The pain still hurts. :( Going from so much joy to so much disappointment in the span of a few (literally) seconds with no console release, I just wanted to play these on Switch so much. :'( I'm so baffled by the decisions companies make in this industry.

Why do the Saga and Mana games get SUCH better treatment than the classic FF games? Saga fans feast all the time lately and Mana not much different. What's next? Beautiful re-releases of old Quintet/Enix games (lolz yea right)... but you want to play a nice version of FFV on modern console? Piss off!

How is FINAL FANTASY of all things treated so poorly? >:|

Saga gets treated well as Kawazu is still there, has the juice, and seems to really care about the SaGA games. Who is there to care about how the old FF games are handled? One of the key FF developers (forget who) expressed surprise people hated those FFVI steam sprites. They thought that was good lol

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Only FF6 is being downgraded. FF5 had the same pixel style as FF4, which seems to be the style that these remasters are going for.

Still, everything is a downgrade compared to the PSP versions.

Ah OK, my mistake. I only ever played 4 on gba so I'm not super familiar with the originals. Still think 6 getting "less busy" artwork is dumb but since they're all getting individual releases maybe there'll be time for them to consider feedback.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
People were already creating mods that replaced the PC sprites with better sprites. I wonder if that would be possible with these new versions.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
psp versions were fine for their time but i'd prefer something more "faithful" so many years later

not that i'm doing backflips and cartwheels over this thing's pixel art but it's fine IMO

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Curious why there is so much focus from fans on the FF3 port when it's generally cited as the worst/one of the worst classic FF games?

I am even seeing the very people that say it's the worst FF game also being very particular about having a better way to play it.

What am I missing?

Part of it is because it's a fixable meh/bad game. The enemy progression, high difficulty, and ruthless final dungeon make the game somewhat daunting and unfun. The DS version arguably made some of these things worse. But we've never seen another rerelease. One could potentially rebalance things and make the game actually fun.

Another is just completionist sake. Almost every other Final Fantasy game has a version I'm satisfied with. The PSP versions of 1/2/4 are gorgeous and pretty much the perfect remakes, and the SNES version of 6 is still beautiful today. It's true that none of these are accessible on modern platforms but I'm a weirdo who readily has a bunch of different platforms hooked up and ready to be played. I guess it's unfortunate that we still don't have a version of 5 without any kind of visual or audio compromises though (the GBA version's sound isn't perfect, though I personally think that its OST holds up better on the GBA's soundchip than 4 or 6).

Oct 27, 2017
So like... anybody else losing their mind that FF3 might finally get a definitive version with what would have probably been the wonderswan remake?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Part of it is because it's a fixable meh/bad game. The enemy progression, high difficulty, and ruthless final dungeon make the game somewhat daunting and unfun. The DS version arguably made some of these things worse. But we've never seen another rerelease. One could potentially rebalance things and make the game actually fun.

Another is just completionist sake. Almost every other Final Fantasy game has a version I'm satisfied with. The PSP versions of 1/2/4 are gorgeous and pretty much the perfect remakes, and the SNES version of 6 is still beautiful today. It's true that none of these are accessible on modern platforms but I'm a weirdo who readily has a bunch of different platforms hooked up and ready to be played. I guess it's unfortunate that we still don't have a version of 5 without any kind of visual or audio compromises though (the GBA version's sound isn't perfect, though I personally think that its OST holds up better on the GBA's soundchip than 4 or 6).
Got it. Thanks this makes a lot of sense.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Hm, but what makes you think they will bring them to Console at all? Why would they do so after PC/mobile? Why not just not announce them for Consoles, or say they were coming to them later for that was the plan?
It's dumb not to announce them for console at the same time, but not as dumb as not releasing them on consoles full stop. So yeah I definitely think these are coming to consoles in the future.

And even if they weren't before, they will be now given the reaction!

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to finally getting a modernized 2D version of FF3!

I'll probably end up buying all of them though unless they look like they'll be pretty bad.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Idk why anyone is assuming these are coming to console. When Square we're proud of their atrocious mobile versions none of them came to console either, neither did Chrono Trigger.

The sprite of Celes looks an awful lot like the one from the mobile release. I don't like it.

That's Rosa. Though I don't blame you for getting mixed up.

So like... anybody else losing their mind that FF3 might finally get a definitive version with what would have probably been the wonderswan remake?

Yeah I'm genuinely really happy about this.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Saga gets treated well as Kawazu is still there, has the juice, and seems to really care about the SaGA games. Who is there to care about how the old FF games are handled? One of the key FF developers (forget who) expressed surprise people hated those FFVI steam sprites. They thought that was good lol
Yeah, it's important to remember the brain trust behind the original FFs is mostly all gone. It's quite clear that nobody at SE cares about those games anymore.

I'm not sure why people don't seem to get this.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Idk why anyone is assuming these are coming to console. When Square we're proud of their atrocious mobile versions none of them came to console either, neither did Chrono Trigger.

i have no idea why people are so sure either
that seems like a lot more faith than square ever deserved to have

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019

What am I missing?
It was never officially avaiable in its original incarnation in the west, only in a 3D remake.

It' s still part of FF history, so people wanna experience it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brand Manager Yoshinori Kitase

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Masanori Ichikawa should be in charge of old FF games

look at what he has done for SaGa

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Great announcement!
PS - and i thought that port whining was not allowed? 🙄
LOL.

But anyways, i've been saying it for the past months but square can't make a sensible decision w.r.t their audience. Why release it ONLY on STEAM and Mobile and not on any console? Why does it have to be only one or two of the quite a few platforms these games are played on?

Never change square...

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Things like this make me really glad that Yuji Horii has such a tight grip on the Dragon Quest franchise... I don't want to even think about of what it would be now if Square had any say in it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

What am I missing?

Its not that bad honestly. Just old fashioned. And deservedly outshined by FFV doing everything it did but better. Still worth a play though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's Rosa. Though I don't blame you for getting mixed up.
You're right, thanks.

So Locke and Terra's sprites are featured. They are much better than those found in the mobile release. That said, there's something a little off about them. Maybe it's the video, but their colors are a little muted somewhat. It's fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but still irksome.

I'll reserve final judgement until we see the full game in action.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw the trailer I thought it was an amazing deal for all those games together regardless whether it came to consoles or not.

But god damn. I think they actually shot themselves in the foot on this one. Piecemeal and not on consoles? So weird.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's dumb not to announce them for console at the same time, but not as dumb as not releasing them on consoles full stop. So yeah I definitely think these are coming to consoles in the future.

And even if they weren't before, they will be now given the reaction!
They never brought the older ports of FF3-6 to Console after porting them to PC/mobile either, tho. Same for Chrono Trigger. I mean, I hope you're right, I'd love to play them (as I only have a Chrome book atm, no access to Steam, and I hate playing anything on Mobile), but their track record isn't looking too good here man. :(

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
They never brought the older ports of FF3-6 to Console after porting them to PC/mobile either, tho. Same for Chrono Trigger. I mean, I hope you're right, I'd love to play them (as I only have a Chrome book atm, no access to Steam, and I hate playing anything on Mobile), but their track record isn't looking too good here man. :(
And thank god they didn't!

FF9 on the other hand was brought to consoles after its mobile release.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Man those screenshots look like crap and are completely unambitious. If you are going to redo the visuals, please do a little more. I see no point in playing these over the original versions