• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Agreed.

It would be great if they find a way to add it in 16 as an unlockable outfit. It looks like it could fit the aesthetic really well.
fr78kzmnfry11.png

Cloesest we got with the helmet so far is the 80 artefact gear for dark knight in FFXIV

sluqp2tw8n331.png

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Most of the ff6 designs are pretty down to earth. Celes is the big exception that comes to mind.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much everything in VII Remake. The outfits of the girls are pretty fashion. Aerith's standard look is very cute quotidian wear.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
She's one pair of pants away from being the GOAT
Well, a pair of pants certainly would help with the horrible chaffing she would no doubt experience with that holster. Would probably help the fit in the bizarre boot setup too. And if she got high waisted pants, maybe they could help cover the bellybutton window too.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part agreed. But crazy clothing still has to be well-designed. For example Ashe looks like she just has random scraps of clothing smacked onto her with no design sensibility. Fran on the other hand has a wild design that is actually very well coordinated from a pure shape language perspective (it objectifies the female form though which is a different problem).
Yes, I agree, it's a difficult balance to achieve. I think XII has the worst designs of the mainline games by far. Balthier is the only one I really like. It doesn't have to be *crazy* all the time, either. VIII has fairly grounded yet recognizable and stylish designs.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Aerith from FF7 Remake.
Simple, charming, and fits with the character. It's actually something very close to what real people wear too.
Aerith.Gainsborough.full.2615263.png

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.png

Open jacket only held together by a belt under hear breasts, tiny skirt, the need to add some sort of thigh backpack to stow away some stuff, naked legs and arms with only tiny, nonsensical armor parts protecting them and so on...
She also deliberately dressed like that to go on a rescue mission where she knew she likely had to engage in combat.

Aerith from FF7 Remake.
Simple, charming, and fits with the character. It's actually something very close to what real people wear too.
Aerith.Gainsborough.full.2615263.png

This is actually a cute, sensible and iconic design. :)

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bartz-ThirdEXMode.png

Stars and all lmao

Serious answer tho:

latest

She's too good to not mention

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Agreed. Love the dress/boots combo

lol it's very 90s.

I actually love when the then "modern fashion" seeps into design. Rinoa's chunky highlight (and hairdo really) totally works in that ~2000 zone.

People love to shit on Ashe from FFXII but Lightning's mini-skirt is just as ridiculous

They're both ridiculous, end of discussion haha

It's definitely a sore spot on otherwise cool designs. Lightning's IS iconic, but there's is very little military looking about a mini skirt while she's anime jumping with a gun sword. And Ashe is supposed to be on the lamb while trying to keep her cover in hot pink MINIMINI skirt.. 😂

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How is that sensible when she's got a massive pouch that's bigger than her upper leg, strapped to her bare upper leg, and then attached to her belt on the other side of her abdomen. Plus boots that have had the front bit removed because reasons, a tunic belted tight around her diaphragm and a collapsible sword that looks like three oversized bottle-openers glued together.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the "sensible" part is just going to be an endlessly looping argument. Basically none of the outfits in this topic are even remotely sensible for what these characters are actually supposed to be doing (i.e. fighting monsters).

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
anybody posting a character in a short skirt - do you know what sensible means lol

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's going to get more practical than the FFXV main cast (a lot of the supporting cast too if you ignore Cindy), every other cast has at least a few ridiculous designs, too many belts or armor boobs/abs or something. Unfortunately the obsession with high heels alone is pretty bad for a lot of the gals, you have to practice using high heels just to walk on a flat surface, but mountain climbing, sewers, deserts, snow? NO ONE would do that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the cast of XIV would fit.

VI is damn good. Maybe the best for the fantasy style it was going for. III is very medieval and solid. IV and V have cool armor designs.

Cid, Barret, Aerith, Cloud (except for the random shoulder pad), Tifa (I mean she is a bartender), OG Rufus, the Turks, etc are also fairly sensible or decent fashion.

VIII is mostly grounded outfits among the party members and fits the 90s.

XV loses points for the boyband outfits and also all leather in the freakin desertish beginning of the game. Outside of that and Aranea's armor, it was fairly grounded - maybe a little bit too much. Lunafreya's dress was good until they shred it for the male gaze at some point.

X and X-2 are hit or miss and I know it got a lot of votes in the other thread but the designs are mostly great and memorable despite being a bit absurd.

IX is okay but too many bad ones. I like Vivi and Garnet and that's about it.

XII is really bad in terms of horniness and the only outfit I really like is Balthier's even if the Viera "armor" is very memorable. It does have the cool Judge armors though.

XIII is boring but I did really like Fang and Vanille's outfits. The sequels made up for that I guess in both good and bad ways.

I think sensible shouldn't mean that much towards actual battle readiness as that would be dumb and stupid and would make all RPGs have people wearing plate armor or Gears of War armor or something.

Most of the cast of XIV would fit.

VI is damn good. Maybe the best for the fantasy style it was going for. III is very medieval and solid. IV and V have cool armor designs.

Cid, Barret, Aerith, Cloud (except for the random shoulder pad), Tifa (I mean she is a bartender), OG Rufus, the Turks, etc are also fairly sensible or decent fashion.

VIII is mostly grounded outfits among the party members and fits the 90s.

XV loses points for the boyband outfits and also all leather in the freakin desertish beginning of the game. Outside of that and Aranea's armor, it was fairly grounded - maybe a little bit too much. Lunafreya's dress was good until they shred it for the male gaze at some point.

X and X-2 are hit or miss and I know it got a lot of votes in the other thread but the designs are mostly great and memorable despite being a bit absurd.

IX is okay but too many bad ones. I like Vivi and Garnet and that's about it.

XII is really bad in terms of horniness and the only outfit I really like is Balthier's even if the Viera "armor" is very memorable.

XIII is boring but I did really like Fang and Vanille's outfits. The sequels made up for that I guess in both good and bad ways.

I think sensible shouldn't mean that much towards actual battle readiness as that would be dumb and stupid and would make all RPGs have people wearing plate armor or Gears of War armor or something.

latest

This is not sensible