• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No spin offs (FFT/Hyrule Warriors etc). Full list of eligible games in OP.

• Final Fantasy.

Votes: 347 18.6%
  • The Legend of Zelda.

Votes: 1,430 76.5%
  • It's a tie.

Votes: 44 2.4%
  • I'm gonna cheat and vote for the series I like more even though it has less 10/10 games

Votes: 48 2.6%

• Total voters

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think FF has any 10/10 games. Zelda has at least two, so I guess I'll go with that.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're going to count the CDI games, Zelda never really dips below 8 at worst. Even Tri-Force Heroes is still a fun and solidly designed game.

I would definitely consider entries like the DS Zelda games and Skyward Sword far below an 8. TFH is definitely a 5 for me just on the basis of it not being fun to play and it somehow being worse than Four Swords Adventures, which too was already pretty bland itself. Weird regressions like this in a long running series are frustrating.

There is a MASSIVE gulf in quality between entries like these and the best ones in the series. I don't consider Zelda consistent enough to be an 8.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Final Fantasy is my preferred franchise but Zelda has more 10/10 games.

I like most of these but FF is weighed down by 2,3, 15, the 13 trilogy and some would even say 8. 2 and 3 are not very good games, 15 is a mess and the 13 trilogy is not something I can speak to. I know how deeply hated those games are though 13 has its defenders who love it, warts and all.

Zelda is weighed down by Skyward Sword and maybe Twilight Princess? That's assuming you don't count Triforce Heroes.

A lot of people in here answering the wrong question lol.
Yeah a lot of people just picking their favorite franchise.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I love FF to death but I don't think it has one 10/10 for me actually, Zelda takes it BotW and MM.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Zelda has two games that are legitimate Greatest Game of All Time contenders in Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, the two best Final Fantasy games, VI and X, are great, but not quite to that level.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I personally don't think that there's a single bad mainline Legend of Zelda console game (not all of them are 10/10 status for me though), the vast majority of the handheld games were great.

Final Fantasy has a few entries in its mainline console lineup that I just don't like, and I've not enjoyed a good deal of its spin-offs. I still overall count myself as a Final Fantasy fan but I also know I've ended up disliking far more games bearing its title than Legend of Zelda.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's Zelda no question:
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Link's Crossbow Training
Breath of the Wild

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play online FFs. IX is the only one I'll give 10/10. VII is close but loses steam in the huge materia quest. VI I don't find the world memorable, only Narshe and Vector are the distinct towns.

Zelda games I'll give 10/10 are ALTTP/ALBW, OoT and MM. BOTW doesn't have good dungeons so I'll knock it down a few points.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
My 10s per series

Zelda:
The Legend of Zelda
Link to the Past
Breath of the Wild

FF:
FF V
FF VI
FF VII
FF X

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017

tenor.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's cracking me up. People picking like half the games in the series as genuine 10/10s? Seems nuts to me but I guess that's why we aren't all journos haha.
Jounalists/reviewers give 10/10s to Zeldas all the time. Edge are one of the most respected publications and they gave Skyward Sword 10/10.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Zelda by a landslide. The worst mainline Zelda is better than the best Final Fantasy.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think Zelda has more critical acclaim (acclaim only the likes of 3D Mario, MGS and GTA can match and surpass), but I can understand why people adore FF.

The latter boasts these amazing worlds, memorable characters and strong narratives that stick with you.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Jounalists/reviewers give 10/10s to Zeldas all the time. Edge are one of the most respected publications and they gave Skyward Sword 10/10.
I'm not saying these games don't get 10s. I'm saying it's surprising to me that a few people can genuinely think like 6 games in the same series are 10/10. I know it's personal opinion, just surprising.

And Edge are clearly wrong on that one lol.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I might get close to giving FFIV/VI 10s... but ultimately I don't think I would. Zelda 1, 3, and 4 are all solid 10s though.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
It is a bit of a surprise how many 10s are handed out by people here.
I can see 3 with Zelda though I think OoT and BotW are the only 10s for me from the two franchises

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Idk Zelda is some good shit. ALttP, LA, OoT, MM, and BotW are easy 10/10s
I feel you, more surprised that every one of those would resonate that deeply for the same person no matter how much they like Zelda.

I love all those games aside from BOTW, and I love the Oracle games. But that doesn't mean they are all 10/10 games for me in any way. I guess I just don't have many 10/10 games personally. These are the only two series I have more than one 10/10 in though, so it's a perfect poll for me!

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Even the worst Final Fantasy invariably has a better story than Zelda, which keeps telling the same story over and over (IMO). So I went that way. Not really about 10/10s for me.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I would rather read people talking about Zelda games than play a FF game, so this one is easy to answer.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's cracking me up. People picking like half the games in the series as genuine 10/10s? Seems nuts to me but I guess that's why we aren't all journos haha.
Honestly I have trouble considering any game that isn't my GOAT a 10 so I see what y'all mean.

I adjusted my scale to just Zelda and FF and considered the top of those which is BOTW and MM

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
For me, Zelda has one 10 (Link's Awakening). Final Fantasy, on the other hand, has three (7, 9, and Tactics).

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I feel you, more surprised that every one of those would resonate that deeply for the same person no matter how much they like Zelda.

I love all those games aside from BOTW, and I love the Oracle games. But that doesn't mean they are all 10/10 games for me in any way. I guess I just don't have many 10/10 games personally. These are the only two series I have more than one 10/10 in though, so it's a perfect poll for me!
<3 What was your pick in the poll? Sorry I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier.
You made me feel nostalgic - this reminded me of the N64 / PSX era, with people split between Ocarina of Time vs FF VII.
I love making polls about older games mostly for the nostalgia hit lol

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's close for me. There are very few 10/10 FF games imo. Only VIII and IX and even those are a stretch personally. Zelda has LttP, Link's Awakening, OoT, MM, Minish Cap, BOTW and probably more.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda and its not even close. Hell, I even prefer FF, but ALTP, OoT, MM, TP are all amazing entries.

Mar 11, 2021
Zelda. Higher highs, better gameplay overall.

FF games are always great when it comes to sound, visuals, and presentation.

Where FF falters, I think, is:

1) The dungeon design. I can't put my finger on it, but FF dungeons just usually aren't all that fun. I'm not asking for a Zelda dungeon, but they are usually very rudimentary corridor/maze setups.

2) The gameplay is just slightly less satisfying...I don't know about you all, but the large amount of status effects in FF games that immobilize party members is annoying, especially the ones that cause one hit kills, prevent casting, etc. I don't know, I have been playing FF XII and the "disease" status just is not fun, same with sleep and some others. I like the approach Pokemon takes with statuses, where they usually have a time limit or are easy to remedy.

These are very general critiques....This is from having played FF IV, FF VII, FF IX, and FF XII.

I do enjoy how FF really mixes its world up in a big way. I especially liked the worlds of VII and XII.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
<3 What was your pick in the poll? Sorry I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier.
Final Fantasy for me. LTTP and Ocarina vs FF4, 5, and 6.

I like Zelda as a series more, but those three FF games just hit me in the feels. FF5 releasing on PS1 was the hypest shit ever for me as a huge SNES fan. (I wasn't savvy enough to know about fan translations back then). I put my FF8 run on hold to play 5, no ragrets.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've played ALTTP, Link's Awakening, Ocarina, and BoTW and I don't know if any of them are really 10's for me. I think every single one of them is just a strong 9 lol

Final Fantasy has VII, Tactics, and Shadowbringers which I think are all 10's