• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
zeromus, cloud of darkness, neo exdeath and enuo, there is a rich history of void touched death gods coming in to fuck shit up at the end of things

i am more than fine with necron, it's more fun than just fighting kuja again

who doesnt love a grand cross

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It's an insanely on the nose metaphor for Death and Nihilism and while the music is kickass that's about it, it makes everything else worse and any point that was being made with it was already made more than enough.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's fine. It's out of nowhere but people hugely overact at this.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's the essence of the crystal awoken by Kuja's seeming desire to return everything back. It's fine, he seems sorta just confused about shit for the most part.

He's oh, is this what y'all really want cause it's looking like it? And Zidane and his crew are like nah but let me prove it real fast.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I just beat this a few months ago, first time in years the boss just wrecked my team but I just able to sneak through with Zidane having autohaste. I thought I was done for sure.

I actually find the ATB system in this game hasn't aged well. I live the game but I really got frustrated this time trying to stay on top of healing. Every action takes so long to initiate, honestly easier to use items half the time.

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually just finished this game three nights ago.

It's...fine, it was either this or some second ridiculous Kuja transformation.

What's weirder is that Necron DIRECTLY QUOTES YODA right before the battle in the English version. "Fear leads to anger...anger leads to hate...hate leads to suffering..." Took me right out of the moment. So weird.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Narrative-wise, he doesn't belong there and taints the ending.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I can't think of a good reason why the final boss couldn't have been another form of Kuja. Heck, Necron could have sprung from Kuja's rage or whatever. I don't think that Necron comes close to ruining Final Fantasy IX or anything, but I can't say that he makes the game better, either.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it.

FFIX was remarkable in having a super complex, tight story that involves multiple themes with characters that interact with them. Having a complete ass pull character at the end with no foreshadowing or speculations kinda puts a dent in all of this.

I also feel like he slightly ruined Kuja's arc. It would've been better if Kuja had defeated the party, proceeded towards the crystal to destroy it, then it resisted and killed him. Idk.

Anyway, Kuja is awesome.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with it, fits thematically.

The embodiment of death getting released fits Kuja's goals at that point so it's not like it's taking away his agency, rather it's a consequence of his actions.

Definitely better than Zemus/Zeromus who it was inspired by, those only took away agency from the villains.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I was fine with him. He is symbolic of the game's core struggles and ideas so fighting him made sense.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It was fine then and it was fine now. It never presents itself as THE true villain coming out of nowhere. It's just a force of nature coming in to do what it was supposed to do as caused by the guy who was pretty consistent as the game's central villain.