• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain what the music bug does? It just restarts whatever song was playing in the background after a random encounter is completed? I
Yes. Meaning you never get to hear full music tracks in a lot of cases.
This is especially noticeable on the world map, where you run into encounters every 10 seconds or so. I hope everyone enjoys listening to the first 10 seconds of that track.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm conflicted
Everyone says the game is great
But everyone also says the port sucks

I want it on switch but I dunno
Are there options to change the text?
I have thoroughly enjoyed playing this version (well, the PS4 release). This and the original PSX release both have their strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't say this is a terrible port by any means, and the boosters can make it really enjoyable and helps combat the originals issues with it's combat engine.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
So, SE emailed me about IX.

IWpxTQ4.jpg

Really takes me back to disc 1 and the unforgettable encounter with Exdeath.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm conflicted
Everyone says the game is great
But everyone also says the port sucks

I want it on switch but I dunno
Are there options to change the text?

Honestly if you haven't played the game before you probably won't really notice where they've dropped the ball. I got it on PS4 and the stuff was minor but annoying enough where I just couldn't be bothered to play through the game for the 20th time. It's a great Final Fantasy though, and if this is the only way you'll be able to play it, you might as well go ahead, unless you want to wait for a lower price.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you just disable random encounters for a while when you hear a track you like?
You can, and that's how I played it. Disabling random encounters while travelling, back tracking, or searching for secrets is very nice, and combined with the speed up function made it a more enjoyable experience to revisit the game as well to just play closer to today's standards as the combat engine for IX is so slow, even compared to VII and VIII. However i'm sure there are plenty who would rather play it in it's purest form and that music bug would be frustrating, though i'd still say this is a solid way to experience IX playing like that.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Insta-bought! So awesome that this is a Play Anywhere title. Also cool to know that Boosters don't hurt achievements. This is definitely a solid FF title that anyone interested should grab. :D

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you just disable random encounters for a while when you hear a track you like?
This doesn't seem like a reasonable solution for someone wanting to play the game as it originally released. FFX/X-2 HD had the same bug on PS4 and Square did address it, so I'm hopeful they'll do the same now that they don't have to port the classic games to any more systems.

MattyB_84

Jan 3, 2019
Anyone else on XBOX getting the "permission needed" pop-up when starting the game? What's up with dis?

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Bleh. Disappointed the achievements are a straight copy and paste from the PS4 list.

Damn jump rope....

MattyB_84

Jan 3, 2019
Uhh, this game straight up doesn't work on my X. It just keeps alternating different loading circles

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
How does it look in Switch handheld mode?

Does the smallish screen size cover quite well for the low res backgrounds?

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
How fast is the battle screens on this.

FF9 is probably my top 1 FF game. I have it on vita but if its faster on the switch I might buy it.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This game scales with your level, right? So you don't need to grind? Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I hated this game for the battle loading times (among other things), but know that many have it as their favorite. Glad you can disable random encounters. Will be picking up and trying to get back into it and try to understand the charm.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
So, SE emailed me about IX.

mail

Really takes me back to disc 1 and the unforgettable encounter with Exdeath.
Unrated and fucking hilarious post. Then again, I have a theory that most folks on this forum have only played the PS1 entries, so they probably don't see the issue here.

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
What's up with the backgrounds? They're disgustingly blurry in contrast to the character models. It's really distracting. Was the PS4 version like that?

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's still the android version with Mobil battle ui and 8way control scheme?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I was bored so I did a couple banners if you want to use them in the OP. They aren't the greatest though. xD

m7vh8V7.png

fGi0H9O.png

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Really want to buy this but I keep seeing that it's a bad port in terms of UI and a few other things. Seems like the best way to play it as of now even in spite of those things

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't seem like a reasonable solution for someone wanting to play the game as it originally released. FFX/X-2 HD had the same bug on PS4 and Square did address it, so I'm hopeful they'll do the same now that they don't have to port the classic games to any more systems.

That's what's irritating about the whole thing. They've known about the issue for years and haven't done anything to resolve it. I was hoping this would be when they fixed it. But nope. I doubt they ever will.

This game scales with your level, right? So you don't need to grind? Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

You're thinking of 8. But you don't really need to grind in this game aside from maybe some optional bosses.

What's up with the backgrounds? They're disgustingly blurry in contrast to the character models. It's really distracting. Was the PS4 version like that?

Yep.

So it's still the android version with Mobil battle ui and 8way control scheme?

They've fixed the UI a bit, but the 8way control is definitely still in which is something else I had hoped they'd fix.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe I'm playing a PS1 final fantasy on my xbox.................soon VII and X to follow. This is some bizarro world and I'm loving it!!!!!

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Play it, its one of the best Final Fantasy entries. The opening segments are unforgettable.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The only bad things about this port as far as I can tell as are the backgrounds and the music bug (which I haven't experienced yet, still early in the game). The backgrounds are quite bad. They are blurry and also seem a little desaturated. It is kind of funny how the sharp, clean character models contrast with the prerendered backgrounds. It's like I am playing in a faded memory of what this game looked like way back when. Otherwise, this seems like a competent port of a great game. The UI seems totally fine to me.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
First time playing a Final Fantasy game, any tricks or words of advice to make it less frustrating?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
First time playing a Final Fantasy game, any tricks or words of advice to make it less frustrating?

Take your time, be sure to steal early with zidane often to help out a skill he can get later on. Do not sell old equipment as it can be used for synthesis later on. Every monster has a type, try's to take advantage of that with the skill system.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Will be playing this for the first time since forever. Crazy to be playing this game all these years later on Xbox. I wish the achievement's were a tad easier but that's neither here nor there.
The jump rope trophy is maybe the most bullshit requirement I've ever seen in a game, ever.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
For those who are wondering, handheld mode doesn't really make the low res prerendered backgrounds look any better. In fact, I prefer the way the game looks docked to undocked because the character models really shine. This port is what it is. Playing FF9 portable is still pretty cool.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I said the moment it got released on the Switch I would bite and I did. Not holding my breath on any of the issues being fixed being SE and all, but I would be really happy if they did. Can't wait to replay my favorite FF again.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I will be vague. Late game when you have to split up your party.. For the love of god dont do what I did and go for majority magic users. That is all.
Word to this. I was plowing through this game, hit that point and did the same thing and just couldn't progress. I only had the one save so I was done. Haven't gone back.
Was interested in this version but it sounds like the port isn't great, so I might just grab it on PC for modding + good controls

Never played a FF game before. Is this a good entry to jump in with?
Sure! It was my first one and worked for me!

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Word to this. I was plowing through this game, hit that point and did the same thing and just couldn't progress. I only had the one save so I was done. Haven't gone back.
Was interested in this version but it sounds like the port isn't great, so I might just grab it on PC for modding + good controls

Sure! It was my first one and worked for me!
God that's exactly what happened to me. I might have been able to push through but it was... bad. I wish the game warned me.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with the port? Are these issues exclusive to Switch or are the issues present on the other platforms too?

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Battles in FFIX are SO slow, this version is probably worth putting up with the issues just to have the fast-forward feature.