• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
For those who don't know, the PS4 remasters of Final Fantasy IX and VII both contain a number of unpatched glitches. We were hoping for better, but it seems these glitches are present in the Switch version of Final Fantasy IX as well. From more minor ones like monsters missing their death sound effects to various spells and abilities missing graphics, they've all been present on PS4 since day one. However, one glitch in particular stands out.

Every time a battle ends, the area music resets to the beginning of the song, unlike the original release which picked up the music where it left off.

It may seem odd that this would be an issue, but keep in mind that players randomly encounter battles every few steps. This means that you will never make it past the first few seconds of each song in the game, from the overworld to the final dungeon. Not only is it incredibly irritating to listen to the same 5 or so seconds of a song on loop for hours, music is one of Final Fantasy's key features and this means that most players will never hear Nobuo Uematsu's beautiful work in most areas of these iconic games. I wonder how he would feel about this?

These issues have been present in the other HD console releases of Final Fantasy IX since 2017, but they have never been patched. They were also present in the PS4 rereleases of Final Fantasy X and X-2, but those HAVE since been patched.

Anyway, I got overly excited and bought Final Fantasy IX immediately when it released on the Switch yesterday, not knowing any of this. So I wanted to make sure others considering picking it up were aware. How a publisher as large as Square Enix can be this incompetent I have no idea. Not sure if there is a way we can get after them about this.

PS: For the inevitable "This doesn't both me." folks. This thread isn't for you. I'm genuinely glad that you're ok with each song's initial 5-10 seconds on loop. Enjoy the game.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, goddammit Square. I remember hearing about those issues back when the PS4 version of VII first came out but assumed they'd been patched since enough time had passed.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I picked it up yesterday too, and since I've never played Final Fantasy IX, I hadn't noticed. Thanks for making me want to gouge out my ears XD

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
It really sucks. I hope it's not there for FFVII Switch.
This reminds me of the worst of the worst NES game. That's bad programming and QA testing, I fear it' snot a "glitch" at all.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do the PC versions suffer from this glitch? I've been trying to decide which system to play them on and am stuck between PC or Vita since the Switch has these issues.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Truly a premium quality product that warrants the high asking price. And since it's digital, you can even return or trade it.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess at this point we can conclude it's not actually a glitch, just an absolutely horrible choice made for these re-releases. Or a major issue with the game engine or code that cannot be fixed.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not kidding, this is singehandedly the reason I've restrained myself from buying these versions. I wish I was kidding.

I was holding on to the switch version to see if they fixed it there but seeing that they didn't I'm skipping. This is unacceptable.

OP
OP
jackal27

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Do the PC versions suffer from this glitch? I've been trying to decide which system to play them on and am stuck between PC or Vita since the Switch has these issues.
Apparently the PC had this patched out ages ago. I wasn't sure, but someone let me know. That makes this even more infuriating.

I guess at this point we can conclude it's not actually a glitch, just an absolutely horrible choice made for these re-releases. Or a major issue with the game engine or code that cannot be fixed.
See above.