• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I still despise this port's ridiculously high input latency when perusing the menus, especially for a game where you're spending a lot of time in the menus constantly swapping out and adjusting Equipment and Abilities. The experience feels laggy and sticky, though this is less a fault of the Moguri Mod then the inherent flaw of the port itself; it's just a shame the mod couldn't do anything to rectify this.
FF IX ports have the worst input latency I've ever experience in any game. I didn't think it would bother be with an RPG, but it does.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally decided to jump in and try out the Moguri Mod for myself. The graphics really do clean up incredibly well, and the CG background elements and 3D character models gel so much better with one another. The FPS battle adjuster is a godsent too; for me, tweaking it up to 30fps combined with the in-game battle speed set to the slowest is the perfect balance between snappier battles without it being stupidly fast like the in-game speed booster.

I still despise this port's ridiculously high input latency when perusing the menus, especially for a game where you're spending a lot of time in the menus constantly swapping out and adjusting Equipment and Abilities. The experience feels laggy and sticky, though this is less a fault of the Moguri Mod then the inherent flaw of the port itself; it's just a shame the mod couldn't do anything to rectify this.

Question: I'm also using the Beatrix mod (just Beatrix, not Alternate Fantasy) and there was a recent January 14th update in your posted link, warning: "When launching the game, you need to avoid touching the options "Orchestral music" or "30 FPS video". Toggling either of these options will completely rewrite the "FolderNames" line in the Memoria.ini and remove any non-Moguri mod, including this one."

I'm still fairly early in the game and haven't yet reached the part where you can formally recruit Beatrix -- but I did make adjustments near the start to disable the orchestrated music and 30fps video. When I checked the memoria.ini, it did indeed remove the "BeatrixMod" line. If I simply re-add "BeatrixMod" back into FolderNames and continue playing as normal, do you think Beatrix will still join at the recruitment stage, or do you think I would have to start the game all over again from the beginning?
Adding the mod may or may not mess up the abilities you have and delete them all. That happened to me when I fought the first black waltz and realized I didn't have the mod installed correctly.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Really is incredible, yeah there's some filter smoothing but God the increase in detail is night and day.

Shame there hasn't been much progress on the viii front but that Pateron one will come out eventually I suppose.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Question: I'm also using the Beatrix mod (just Beatrix, not Alternate Fantasy) and there was a recent January 14th update in your posted link, warning: "When launching the game, you need to avoid touching the options "Orchestral music" or "30 FPS video". Toggling either of these options will completely rewrite the "FolderNames" line in the Memoria.ini and remove any non-Moguri mod, including this one."

I'm still fairly early in the game and haven't yet reached the part where you can formally recruit Beatrix -- but I did make adjustments near the start to disable the orchestrated music and 30fps video. When I checked the memoria.ini, it did indeed remove the "BeatrixMod" line. If I simply re-add "BeatrixMod" back into FolderNames and continue playing as normal, do you think Beatrix will still join at the recruitment stage, or do you think I would have to start the game all over again from the beginning?

I think you should be fine if you just re-add the folder names and make sure the mod load order is correct as posted in the new Alternate Fantasy update.

Thanks for bringing this up, it explains some of the issues I've been having. I wanted to give the Alternate Fantasy changes a spin since I know the base game so well, so I waited for that to update before giving the (absolutely beautiful) Moguri Mod updates a go. I had started a little bit ago, confirmed that the Alternate Fantasy ability changes were there, then didn't really think much of it until going through Ice Cavern and realizing the combat hadn't been any different (for anyone paying with Alternate Fantasy, the first major difference you should be able to spot is that Vivi is silenced when held by the Prison Cage and can't assist Zidane and Steiner by casting Fire). I thought the problem was a load order thing (since AF wasn't clear about it in the installation instructions). So I fixed that, but sounds like this was the problem and I'll have to make these edits too.

But yeah, Moguri 8.0 looks fantastic. I'm usually not a huge fan of upscale-filtered backgrounds because they have a really obvious smoothed-over look to them, but Moguri doesn't overdo it (plus they hand-painted to fix some stuff up). The widescreen implementation is flawless (and shifting to and from 4:3 in scenes that don't support it doesn't feel weird at all)

imgpsh_fullsize_anim.png

Adding the mod may or may not mess up the abilities you have and delete them all. That happened to me when I fought the first black waltz and realized I didn't have the mod installed correctly.
Well crud. Changing the load order didn't affect anything, I guess I'll see what happens when I fix the battle configuration. Only up to Dali at least.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Square are lucky to have modders for their games no doubt mods like these increase their sales of their crappy pc ports
Same for Nier Automata for example on PC which mods is a must to atleast make it decently playable i wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for the mods saving it

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some extensive time using this on linux, btw. If any other linux users are interested, here's a guide for installing moguri / alternate fantasy mod.

Final Fantasy IX Moguri / AF Proton Guide

Be forewarned -- AF seemed to be a little bit broken on my linux machine, but it still had most of the balance changes. The biggest down-side was that beatrix didn't spawn properly and I had to work around it... That and some instances of glitched battle AI.

Overall, it seems to work pretty well and it's how I played the majority of my main-playthrough, with some cases where I had to switch OS to work around glitched behavior. Worth noting that cloud saves do still work!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Let me clarify and say that AF is **slightly** more difficult, but not impossibly difficult. Necron was the only exception to this, but I think he may have been bugged in my build.

And from my experience this just adds the new content/ it might have to do with some abilities but it doesnt make the game hard (I tried that and got insta-wiped by the first black mage and his ice thing ) This is just a "Hey lets add the shit people want without hard stuff" mod.
If it does change some abilities up, then i'm dumb for not knowing it. (but it hasnt made the game harder or anything)
[

Just wanted to add that my GF started yesterday to play, and the game difficulty is too much with AF, not only for her, but for me that i have replayed ffIX twice.
Its not that is difficult per se, its that its weirdly imbalanced in the first fights just for the lols of the creator and him thinking it was more interesting that way (it really isnt).

Things like steiner having deathstrike in the first battle (WTF) (which forces the player use potions, this comes later), and the modder wanting you (without nobody saying anything) buying potions with Vivi at the beginning of the game just for the prison cage boss with Garnet in the evil forest. He says (in one the forums he uploaded the mod with a guy describing the same problems we had, and other people in the forums just answering with "git gud") that players that play his mod should use Zidane's defense more through the first game battles so they dont use potions (lol at the design there with enemeis dealing more damage than in the normal game forcing you using potions), and that he made Prison Cage like this to force the players not be stingy with potions, which is a massive design failure because at that point of the game you cant buy potions in the evil forest (Cinna hasnt still open shop), so the only way to get potions is stealing from enemies, and becuase they hit harder, they basically make you use potions, so its a net zero, while overlevelling yourself.
But she was actually overleveled (level 5 while that boss is 2) and the boss still was taking too much time to be killed, was dealing too much damage, was healing itself too often, and was much faster so he usually striked 2 or 3 times before she could do anything. And she always ran out of options becuase she was curing Garnet and the rest of the team trying not be killed by the fucking thing.
While searching this i was also reading a ton of people having problem with the freija fight during the competition, and the Beatrix fight, so fuck that non sense, i really want to uninstall it now.

Its a pitty becuase the mod adds a ton of QoL improvements apart from Beatrix (even a minigame that was cut), that i would like to have in standalone mod that didnt increase the diffculty in any way.

But not only she became fustrated with the game (which i was scared of this happening), I also was, and now i want to uninstall the mod (thats why i was searching for info before) but havent found anything. Is there a way to uninstall it? May that cause problems mid game? Can I install the beatix only mod still while uninstalling this one wihtout the need to restart the whole game?

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Square are lucky to have modders for their games no doubt mods like these increase their sales of their crappy pc ports
Same for Nier Automata for example on PC which mods is a must to atleast make it decently playable i wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for the mods saving it

Absolutely. I wouldn't have purchased and replayed FF9 on PC if it wasn't for this mod. It's absolutely fantastic, and the mod maker deserves so much praise - they're literally putting money in SE's pockets! It'd be great if SE could acknowledge or endorse it in some way.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
But not only she became fustrated with the game (which i was scared of this happening), I also was, and now i want to uninstall the mod (thats why i was searching for info before) but havent found anything. Is there a way to uninstall it? May that cause problems mid game? Can I install the beatix only mod still while uninstalling this one wihtout the need to restart the whole game?

Sorry to hear of the bad experience.

If you want to uninstall it, you just remove it from the mod folders section of the INI file. That early into the game, there shouldn't be any major side effects.

FWIW, for the plant brain, I didn't have to buy any potions in alexandria since all potions can be bought at the prima vista before battle (from Cinna).

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[

Just wanted to add that my GF started yesterday to play, and the game difficulty is too much with AF, not only for her, but for me that i have replayed ffIX twice.
Its not that is difficult per se, its that its weirdly imbalanced in the first fights just for the lols of the creator and him thinking it was more interesting that way (it really isnt).

Things like steiner having deathstrike in the first battle (WTF) (which forces the player use potions, this comes later), and the modder wanting you (without nobody saying anything) buying potions with Vivi at the beginning of the game just for the prison cage boss with Garnet in the evil forest. He says (in one the forums he uploaded the mod with a guy describing the same problems we had, and other people in the forums just answering with "git gud") that players that play his mod should use Zidane's defense more through the first game battles so they dont use potions (lol at the design there with enemeis dealing more damage than in the normal game forcing you using potions), and that he made Prison Cage like this to force the players not be stingy with potions, which is a massive design failure because at that point of the game you cant buy potions in the evil forest (Cinna hasnt still open shop), so the only way to get potions is stealing from enemies, and becuase they hit harder, they basically make you use potions, so its a net zero, while overlevelling yourself.
But she was actually overleveled (level 5 while that boss is 2) and the boss still was taking too much time to be killed, was dealing too much damage, was healing itself too often, and was much faster so he usually striked 2 or 3 times before she could do anything. And she always ran out of options becuase she was curing Garnet and the rest of the team trying not be killed by the fucking thing.
While searching this i was also reading a ton of people having problem with the freija fight during the competition, and the Beatrix fight, so fuck that non sense, i really want to uninstall it now.

Its a pitty becuase the mod adds a ton of QoL improvements apart from Beatrix (even a minigame that was cut), that i would like to have in standalone mod that didnt increase the diffculty in any way.

Unfortunately from my experience, doing anything with mods seems to fuck with abilities/trance so you'll probably have to do a fresh restart of the game. I know that the Beatrix only mod does have those scenes you'd press select for (forgot the actual term). At the very least you could use the 3x speed option to try to get to where you were. You can try to change the mod and see if it works but go with the assumption that it will mess up old save files.
But yeah, I also did not like how hard the boss fights were and it got really bad against the first waltz and that water minion since the battle starts them off in tranced mode.(or some buffs )

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately from my experience, doing anything with mods seems to fuck with abilities/trance so you'll probably have to do a fresh restart of the game. I know that the Beatrix only mod does have those scenes you'd press select for (forgot the actual term). At the very least you could use the 3x speed option to try to get to where you were. You can try to change the mod and see if it works but go with the assumption that it will mess up old save files.
Becuase of covid and not really being able to see each other till the month ends, I will probably tell her to play another game in the mean time, and then unistall the mod and restart the game from scratch when im with her (she is not very tech savy so she wouldnt know how to uninstall it herself). Hopefully as some more time will have pass, she wouldnt hate so much to repeat it again.

This shouldn't be the case with how early in the game he is.
Yitan's trance ability is already only 2 turns instead of 3 when you are forced to use it against prison cage, so maybe that fucks up stuff, if i dont restart the game. So i dont know. Maybe its better just to restart next month.

Dalamar86

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I just want to say thanks for the thread. I've been playing Moguri with Alternate Fantasy over the last few weeks and it has been incredible. I never imagined FFIX could ever be visually remastered in the way Moguri has, its beautiful. I just went looking for a way to donate and found they don't accept any. I feel like I owe them.

I have also really been enjoying switching up my tried and true approach to the game due to some of the curve-balls AF throws at you combat-wise and the reworked skill sets. The new difficulty kind of felt front loaded but it still led me to switch up my party build ultimately. It definitely made the Beatrix fights feel like desperate losing battles of attrition. I've just hit the Chrystal world and I am worried about what Necron is about to bring lol.

Apr 19, 2018

I think you should be fine if you just re-add the folder names and make sure the mod load order is correct as posted in the new Alternate Fantasy update.

Thanks for the responses! Just to confirm my own inquiry, I'd gotten to the part where you can now recruit Beatrix (I'd forgotten just how far along into the game on disc 3 this really is!) and yes, re-adding the 'BeatrixMod' does still trigger the event successfully. No issues to speak of in regards to botched or omitted Abilities either, but mind you I made the .ini folder name change very early on at the Ice Cavern.

Time to hit Popos Heights to get her up to snuff with the rest of the team. :)

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
FFIX really makes me miss pre-rendered backgrounds, the diversity in locations and even scene to scene you get in IX just doesn't happen anymore. Such a lovely game.

Should I leave orchestral tracks enabled or not? Been too long since I played the original(as a kid no less) to remember the original soundtrack

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Wow that's sad. The original is super super snappy too. Great menus, and way better than VII or VIII.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing this yesterday and as amazing as it looks, the improvement to battle speed (set at 24 for now) is amazing. Such an improvement over the original battles. Also getting major nostalgia whiplash as I realize I havent played this game in like 20 years...

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Is the menu lag really that bad, I haven't had time to play this mod yet and haven't played FF9 in a very long so I doubt I will be able to know the difference from the original.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
I was always "meh" on FF9, but this mod makes it look absolutely gorgeous. I may have no choice but to try it out.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 9 year old Mac with 500 GB SSD and filled up to the brim with Photoshop, Illustrator and inDesign files. I don't think I can afford dual booting :(

Hmm in the worst case you could run Windows off of a small 120gb external SSD. It's not officially supported but should give you no issues. You wouldn't even know it's there unless you hold ALT at boot :)

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
I finished FFIX last weekend after 13 years of not playing it and while it still makes me lament the fact that, aside from some exceptions, all the original background art has been lost, I'm so grateful this mod exists and IX has been pretty much immortalized in a presentable form for future generations. It still looks lovely in certain sections, with a painterly aesthetic that really fits the game. Thank God for PC gaming.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm totally here for this. Also waiting patiently for McIndus Mods to finish the Final Fantasy VIII Remastered mod suite. Been a Patreon of that for a while now.

EDIT: wait, there's really bad input lag in the menus of a game where you spend the majority of the time sifting through menus? For fuck's sake, SE.

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Beatrix is a mass murderer I don't WANT her in my party

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say that these mods make the FF PSX games with pre-rendered backgrounds look as good/crisp as most current gen games.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Ok explain this to my like I'm 5. I just download the mod and then what lol
Follow the instrutions on the site the the section "Install", extract the file in the C folder and run the installer and then run the FF9 Launcher and you are good to go

I have to say that these mods make the FF PSX games with pre-rendered backgrounds look as good/crisp as most current gen games.

For real anyone can point me to a good mod for FF8?

Apr 19, 2018
Gotta say, I'm impressed with all the incidental dialogue they've given Beatrix and how they've managed to integrate her in most of the group sequences when using the mod. I was wondering how they were going to handle the...... two per person scenario with the four elemental shrines, but I like how they slotted her in with Eiko and Garnet for the "ladies-only" group. Made for one of the more amusing character interactions as well. :)

That said, I was met with a game-crashing bug when I had Beatrix in my party for one specific scenario. This would be just after:

The consecutive boss battles of the Silver Dragon, Garland, and Kuja toward the end of Pandemomium. After Kuja ends the fight by going into Trance, and the scene plays where Kuja kicks Garland off the ledge, the game freezes and the game spazzes out with a multi-colored screen glitch. I know the fault had to be Beatrix, because her model was swapped with Vivi's as they were lying injured on the ground. (Interestingly, Vivi's name also replaces Beatrix's when attempting to use her to fight the optional monsters in Treno's Knight House/weapon shop, even if he's not in the current party -- though you'll still use Beatrix once the fights start proper.

So, just a heads-up that you may not want to have Beatrix in your party for the above scenario. Hopefully there won't be any other game-breaking bugs from having her for the final dungeon and end fights.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
So I came across another game-crashing bug, this time at the very end. During the ending, in fact:

Having defeated Necron, the scenes play out where Zidane decides to stay behind, and he says farewell to everyone. The FMV cutscene plays where Garnet looks on as the airship flies off, and Zidane walks off to prepare for his run into the Iifa Tree.

.... And then, the game closes the application after the cutscene finishes. No error codes, glitches or anything -- just back to the Steam Dashboard/overlay. Not sure if this is due to the Beatrix Mod or the Moguri Mod. I did attempt to delete the BeatrixMod from memoria.ini's FolderNames, and the shut-down still occurs, so I wonder if the fault lies in Moguri itself?

Is there a way to temporarily disable Moguri from launching without outright deleting the mod? Or would deleting MoguriMod from the memoria.ini FolderNames do it?

EDIT: Seems like I'm not the only one, as exemplified from this Reddit thread:

It looks like Snouz was able to isolate the issue. Here's what he advises and it solved the issue for me:

You can delete this file without consequence and it should work fine: \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY IX\MoguriFiles\StreamingAssets\ma\mbg116.bytes

Last edited: