• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I install the mod for my sister, but couldn't enable the boosters afterwards. I tried to fix it by editing the Memoria.ini file, but it just won't work. A shame really. Boosters are essential for her enjoyment of this old ass game.

edit: I figured it out yay.

Last edited:

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
One nice thing about the latest FF9 ports is that it's running at 60 FPS in Unity, so at least the UI isn't garbage like the FF7 and 8. Sadly the animation timings are still locked into 15 (battle) and 30 (field). Fixing those would honestly just make this thing absolutely perfect.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I just got FFIX in the Steam Sale and installed this, can I also get Beatrix playable or are the mods incompatible? Any other notable mods I should get?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a mod out there that makes speed-up a one-button operation, like in FF7? IIRC, you need to do a couple inputs to throttle up or down, which is such a pain in the ass. They got this shit right the first time they implemented this feature in Chrono Cross and FFXII Zodiac — and yet, it gets fucked up in other Square games. I just don't get it.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
For the love of god Square just throw these wonderful people a big pile of cash and incorporate their work across all versions.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is there a mod out there that makes speed-up a one-button operation, like in FF7? IIRC, you need to do a couple inputs to throttle up or down, which is such a pain in the ass. They got this shit right the first time they implemented this feature in Chrono Cross and FFXII Zodiac — and yet, it gets fucked up in other Square games. I just don't get it.
You mean for stuff like jump rope?
There are scripts or you can use cheat engine

Otherwise, just by going by memory, i don't think there is

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
You mean for stuff like jump rope?
There are scripts or you can use cheat engine

Otherwise, just by going by memory, i don't think there is
No no, just for battles really. Like, I can't remember exactly what the cumbersome part was, but it wasn't just one button click like with FF7. You had to pause and then hit speed up, or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I installed this and while it looks great, the background stutters a bit when I move? Like In the beginning Vivi runs totally smoothly running around but as I move up past the ticket booth and such it kind of hitches ever so slightly moving the background up. It's odd.

Oct 26, 2017
I will be playing ff9 for the first time ever soon. I am getting this mod installed, but wanted to know if for my first play through I should install the Beatrix mod as well?

and now I see the Beatrix mod is not compatible at the moment. I'm in no rush, so if the Alternate fantasy mod is truly worth while I will play Ghost of Tsushima first.

Moguri Mod v8.2.0 Released!
OP
OP
Shevek

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
As some of you may have noticed, the recent Steam update fixed the mobile Battle UI but completely broke Moguri Mod.

v8.2.0 has just been released that renders it compatible with the latest Steam update, as well as including several additional fixes:

sites.google.com

INSTALL

INSTALL

Changelog:

Fixed
  • Compatible with 2020-8-6 steam update
  • Orchestral music correctly looped
  • Endgame music debugged
  • Crash at the end (airship video) fixed
  • Videos sound re-synced
  • Videos cutting too soon fixed
  • Videos fixes
  • A number of visual inconsistencies, glitches & unfinished upscales fixed
  • Some installation problems for assets files (checksum error) fixed
  • A set of bugfixes by Tirlititi (reflect sound...)

Widescreen
  • Almost all backgrounds are displayed in full (about 170 added)
  • No micro-scrolling on 54 screens that are 8px larger than a 16/9 screen

Launcher
  • New launcher with options
  • Better sound quality by default (44kHz)

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone post screenshots of how the battle UI looks now with the latest August patch vs what it used to be?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Giving this a download and going to install it right now. I just started a new game in FFIX not too long ago, this is great.

EDIT: Er, whelp. Just installed it but the game won't load past the title screen splash page lol. Shit.

I tried to get the new version from the mod's link, but the ModDB entry only has the 8.0 version (May 28th). I don't know if somebody else has the same issue, or it is just that the entry is not updated yet.

Aha! This must be why. Yep, same issue. The download link only links to the May 28th, 8.0.1. version.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
This is the only AI upscale that actually looks good.

I think IX's storybook art direction really lends it to AI upscaling.

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain
I tried to get the new version from the mod's link, but the ModDB entry only has the 8.0 version (May 28th). I don't know if somebody else has the same issue, or it is just that the entry is not updated yet.

Edit: Okay, I just turned on my PC and got to the link again, and now it is updated. No worries, just a bit of patience is enough.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is this what the 9.0 version was going to be? I was waiting until that was released before I was going to play it, and from memory, this seems to have a lot of the improvements in it (and there's no mention of 9.0 on the site now).

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Seems people in moddb are also wondering where the latest version is (8.2.0).

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I would really like to replay this, but I want to play it in Japanese.

Is there a way to play the Steam version in Japanese? As far as I remember there is no option available. Is it possible with mods? Anyone try it?

OP
OP
Shevek

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Nice! Giving this a download and going to install it right now. I just started a new game in FFIX not too long ago, this is great.

EDIT: Er, whelp. Just installed it but the game won't load past the title screen splash page lol. Shit.

Aha! This must be why. Yep, same issue. The download link only links to the May 28th, 8.0.1. version.

Seems people in moddb are also wondering where the latest version is (8.2.0).

Ah, damn. My apologies folks, I jumped the gun a bit and didn't realise that the Moddb page had not yet been updated. Can confirm 8.2.0 is up now:

www.moddb.com

Moguri Mod 8.2 file

Update of the 8.0 version Moguri Mod is a faithful revamp of the PC version of Final Fantasy IX helped by deep learning techniques (ESRGAN). The most important changes are in the background arts, that are now cleaner, more detailed and higher resolution...

Can anyone post screenshots of how the battle UI looks now with the latest August patch vs what it used to be?

Taken from a reddit post, first image is the old Battle UI, second is the new UI following the patch, third is the PSX version:

9lbiiMy.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, damn. My apologies folks, I jumped the gun a bit and didn't realise that the Moddb page had not yet been updated. Can confirm 8.2.0 is up now:

www.moddb.com

Moguri Mod 8.2 file

Update of the 8.0 version Moguri Mod is a faithful revamp of the PC version of Final Fantasy IX helped by deep learning techniques (ESRGAN). The most important changes are in the background arts, that are now cleaner, more detailed and higher resolution...

Taken from a reddit post, first image is the old Battle UI, second is the new UI following the patch, third is the PSX version:

9lbiiMy.jpg

Nice, thanks for the heads-up! :)

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
is there an option to have low-res polygonal models? In my opinion the contrast between polygonal models and backgrounds is the worst-looking thing.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
It's a shame Square doesn't put this kind of effort into their PS1 re-releases.
It really is. I don't know why companies don't license out the neural network upscaling software to help with their remasters. I own a PC so I will mod the game but it's so depressing to me that first time players of classic FF games on consoles have to endure blurry backgrounds for no reason at all.

Oct 31, 2017
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to ask, does this mod work on the Windows Store version of FF IX? I'm planning to try this game out with gamepass!

GenoScreams

Oct 31, 2017
I'm excited to eventually replay FF9 with this mod. Is it possible to play with analogue controls and not just the standard 8-way or whatever it released on Steam with?

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Good to see it's back working, I was half way through when the Steam update broke everything, thought I'd be waiting weeks.

OP
OP
Shevek

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to ask, does this mod work on the Windows Store version of FF IX? I'm planning to try this game out with gamepass!

Unfortunately not, no :(

Because Gamepass file directories can't be edited, there's no way to install Moguri Mod on it.

I guess 8.2 is still not compatible with Alternate Fantasy right?

Not yet as far as I know, but if you do get it working please post back here!

Thanks! I've added it to the OP

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
I replayed the game with this mod earlier this year and it looks simply stunning. One thing I noticed was that the battles were playing out a bit too fast. Luckily it was easily fixed by changing a number in an .ini file and then it was perfect. I really hope someday FF8 will get the same treatment so that I can replay that too.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to get VSync enabled? The BINK videos show lots of tearing.