• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square need to hire these modders and get this stuff in all versions of all their games across the board. Modders are doing some truly awesome work with these old games

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I had recently purchased FFIX for my Switch ... guess I'm getting it on Steam now too.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What!?

This looks great.

I bought FFIX again on PS4 recently and did play it on Steam a few years back....will play again on Steam in the future using this mod - sometime after I am done with the PS4 ver.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Great. I'll replay with this + the beatrix mod + some difficulty mod.
A pity they never ported the unleashed mod to the steam version, it was fantastic.

Eh, Unleashed is pretty good, but he made Ozma pretty much impossible and that really pissed me off because I always want to beat the superbosses in these games.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This looks very good. I find many AI upscales repulsive, but this is nice. I wish Square put more time into these releases. It would be nice to play something close to this on Switch.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: the creator of the mod is French, which is pretty cool considering FF is not as big in Europe as in North America

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What is this Beatrix mod?
AuthenticM posted it below, its a fantastic mod in general (but I only used it for the recruitable Beatrix part)
They go the extra mile and even include in her cutscenes and give her extra dialogue, its totally seamless other than the fact she doesnt have a trance form (last i checked anyway)
The Alternate Fantasy mod adds more speed options, I believe. Though it also rebalances a ton of stuff, so YMMV with it. Check it out. It's also compatible with Moguri.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Eh, Unleashed is pretty good, but he made Ozma pretty much impossible and that really pissed me off because I always want to beat the superbosses in these games.

I managed to beat him with Yitan, Garnet, Eiko and Vivi. You have to kill him in four turns or you die if i remember right. And you need luck for Eiko to use Phoenix summon in a good try. It was really difficult but fun.
What i didn't manage is to steal excalibur 2 from him and them kill him. That really seemed impossible.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AuthenticM posted it below, its a fantastic mod in general (but I only used it for the recruitable Beatrix part)
They go the extra mile and even include in her cutscenes and give her extra dialogue, its totally seamless other than the fact she doesnt have a trance form (last i checked anyway)

Thanks! Those are pretty nice additions, I will give it a try.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! Those are pretty nice additions, I will give it a try.
No problem! I was so impressed with this mod I made a thread about it in the past so always happy to spread awareness of it haha
I just looked into it and Beatrix does actually have a trance form now too, which is awesome. I think she is recruitable in Disk 3

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I managed to beat him with Yitan, Garnet, Eiko and Vivi. You have to kill him in four turns or you die if i remember right. And you need luck for Eiko to use Phoenix summon in a good try. It was really difficult but fun.
What i didn't manage is to steal excalibur 2 from him and them kill him. That really seemed impossible.

I don't know, that fight seems like pure RNG bullshit and he constantly spams Curse. I could survive one Curse, but two in a row? Forget about it.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
That is easy to explain. On one hand you have passionate fans, who work in a big community. They don't have a deadline and a need to make a profit. They can put there resources in quality and effort, while also use many free tools and get free support without from other fans or other sources.
On the other hand you have a company with a limited budget. They have to balance effort with profit or they make negative numbers. They also need to pay for salaries, licenses, hardware, software, services, rent, taxes, insurances, etc. Nobody does anything for free, since this is the job of many people and those people need to eat. So at one point a project-manager has to make the hard decision, which of the following elements to cut: time, quality or budget. A HD-remaster of Final Fantasy 9 will just noi make enough money to cover the cost for a company.

Also add to this that without the work put in to get this onto other platforms in the first place, this would have remained a PS only game through emulation. Now you have it on all platforms including mobile.

I have very little time for the lazy devs/the fans do it better rhetoric.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No problem! I was so impressed with this mod I made a thread about it in the past so always happy to spread awareness of it haha
I just looked into it and Beatrix does actually have a trance form now too, which is awesome. I think she is recruitable in Disk 3

Also the possibility of getting Excalibur II without the 14 hours requisite is appealing.

The only thing I'm not sure is if any of these mods fix the missing sounds fom some spells and summons in the port. Ark sounds so much worse than the original version.

May 10, 2019
Time to load up the laptop and dive in. It looks great, nicely done. Now, if only consoles would allow this too like certain Bethesda games.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
They do great work, beat the game a few months ago while using an earlier version of this mod. The upscaled backgrounds where especially great as the originals are so bad when viewed away from an old CRT.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible, I'm definitely replaying the game with this mod.
It's amazing to see something like this for this gem of a game, warms my heart.

Edit: forgot about the Beatrix mod, definitely going to do that as well.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is absolutly amazing. If only SE have put so much effort into there remasters...

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
This is PHENOMENAL work.

Everybody is doing AI upscaling, but only a selected few are post-processing things BY HAND on top of that.

This is the BIG thing here, the "selling point": it looks great because an actual human beign is improving things further.

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
I've installed the mod, but I dont get the feature options when running the installer so I can't disable the orchestral music. At the setup part of the install it just says TabHost. Tried uninstalling it but the install still won't give me the choice on what to install.

Update: I've managed to sort it.

Last edited:

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
Darn I'm upset that this doesn't work with the windows game store for gamepass

Will have to splurge on the stream version I guess

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this mod to reach a certain point before trying it out. Looks like it may have reached a certain point.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Any way to disable the orchestrated music without having to reinstall the mod?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Well I guess this is a good time to start a play-through.

I'm taking screenshots of every scene that catches my eye. The modders have done amazing work here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why anyone hasn't said this, but you can directly change the battle speed with vanilla Moguri's Mod. Just go into the .ini and increase the Battle FPS from 15 to whatever you'd like. I do 25, myself. Some prefer 30.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
As soon as Alternate Fantasy gets a compatibility update for Moguri 8.0 im replaying this.

OP
OP
Shevek

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I've never played the original but want to soon, which with y'all suggest me playing for the first time?

Steam version + Moguri Mod installed is the definitive way to play the game, so absolutely do make it your first experience. It is essentially an HD remaster of the original that fans should've gotten with the 2016 re-release on current gen platforms.

The mod only updates the visuals and fixes some bugs, but leaves the gameplay unchanged.

Any other place to download this from? Getting insanely slow download speed.

You can download the v5 Beta, which according to Snouz is the exact same as v8.0 but just packaged into a RAR file instead of an installer. Just bear in mind that the orchestral music is not available in the v5 Beta RAR.

You can find a link to the download in the OP here (installation instructions are in the RAR file): http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19225.0

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam version + Moguri Mod installed is the definitive way to play the game, so absolutely do make it your first experience. It is essentially an HD remaster of the original that fans should've gotten with the 2016 re-release on current gen platforms.
To be fair, did this AI upscaling technique even exist in 2016?

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I wish DMC1 would get a mod like this. It desperately needs it. The current version is abysmal. I'd try to do it myself but I don't have any of the skills required to get it done.

OP
OP
Shevek

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
To be fair, did this AI upscaling technique even exist in 2016?

I'm not sure since I'm not entirely familiar with the technology but I do know completed projects of a similar kind existed for Final Fantasy VII several years prior, such as Omzy's Field Pack mod for FFVII for example. While a huge step up from the original, results then weren't nearly as impressive as they are with current tech now though, obvs.

Does this change the battle UI in any way to bring it closer to the original?

There isn't one that comes with Moguri, though there is a mod called Scaled Battle UI that attempts to bring the battle UI closer in line with the original PSX release but it hasn't been updated to be compatible with v8.0 yet.

Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy9/mods/11?tab=posts

I have seen a number of issues that are introduced with the Scaled Battle UI mod though, so I personally haven't been using it.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
This is why game pass is fucking shit if you ever what to do anything to your games.
You're not wrong because that's a huge downside of games from the Microsoft Store in general and I would strongly recommend against buying anything from that Store. But to put things into perspective a little, Game Pass itself it's a game rental service that allows you to access a big library of games for a relatively low monthly fee. Calling it "fucking shit" because you don't have the same access to game files as you do with games you bought on Steam (or any other proper pc store for that matter) is a bit much, don't you think? Maybe my analogy is wrong, but to me, it's like complaining that you don't get to rip and store movies from Netflix, when you can do exactly that with the blu-rays you bought (in better quality, too!). It's not the point but it's a great complementary service.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'm not sure since I'm not entirely familiar with the technology but I do know completed projects of a similar kind existed for Final Fantasy VII several years prior, such as Omzy's Field Pack mod for FFVII for example. While a huge step up from the original, results then weren't nearly as impressive as they are with current tech now though, obvs.

There isn't one that comes with Moguri, though there is a mod called Scaled Battle UI that attempts to bring the battle UI closer in line with the original PSX release but it hasn't been updated to be compatible with v8.0 yet.

Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy9/mods/11?tab=posts

I have seen a number of issues that are introduced with the Scaled Battle UI mod though, so I personally haven't been using it.

Yeah, I read about that separate mod introducing issues so I was hoping the new version of Moguri tried to tackle it. But I'll keep an eye on it, maybe the next update will be better