• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Square do such a horrifically awful job with every single port of their golden-era RPG's? It's maddening.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Great timing! I have a long ass flight tomorrow and this will be perfect on the plane

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
For those on PC beware... The game speed is tied to framerate, and it's not capped. On my 120Hz monitor this shit is unplayable as it's ludicrous speed. I practically teleport with a tap of a button. It also only has prompts for gamepad, not M+KB.

I don't own the version on Steam, so maybe it's the same there. Otherwise I'd really hope Square patches this (at a minimum the framerate issue).

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Having played neither, should I get this or FF12 when it comes out? I know i wont play through both so I just want to get 1 of them.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cautiously interested pending reports and YouTube footage in order to assess port quality. Anything from Square Enix is instantly suspect.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but... a PSX cd was 650 meg tops, and 4x650 is 2600. Plus data was doubled on each disk that didn't really need to be there for a single install.

So it's a pretty legit question really. It's not like the game has higher res textures, lol.
All fair points. Though they do have higher quality models that's not any major diff

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah on second thought the price isn't too crazy considering how much I enjoyed of what I played of it. It felt like the last great classic FF if that makes sense but I didn't get far.

Can people who are fans explain what they love about it? Is it a fairly long game?

Also curious as to how it runs and if there are any speed up options etc.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The transcoded prerendered movies probably contribute a lot to the large size. I also believe they remade the game from scratch in Unity, so that might come with its own overhead.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Can people who are fans explain what they love about it? Is it a fairly long game?

It's endearing as hell. Great characters and a story that doesn't go up its own ass like other JRPGs. The music is some of Uematsu's best, too. Great villain, too.

The style brings back a lot of old Final Fantasy feel, too, in a way not many after FF6 did.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah on second thought the price isn't too crazy considering how much I enjoyed of what I played of it. It felt like the last great classic FF if that makes sense but I didn't get far.

Characters
Beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds
Excellent soundtrack
Pacing
Good story

Its basically Square Soft's magnum opus. imo. One of the last good things they put out
( Kingdom Hearts 1)
before Enix.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
It's endearing as hell. Great characters and a story that doesn't go up its own ass like other JRPGs. The music is some of Uematsu's best, too. Great villain, too.

The style brings back a lot of old Final Fantasy feel, too, in a way not many after FF6 did.

Thanks for the reply. I get what you mean about it capturing that old FF feel, definitely got that vibe from what i played of it.
Looking forward to jumping back in. The switch is going to be such a crazy good rpg system in 2019!!!

Characters
Beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds
Excellent soundtrack
Pacing
Good story

Its basically Square Soft's magnum opus. imo. One of the last good things they put out
( Kingdom Hearts 1)
before Enix.
Awesome. I remember how much I liked it when it came out after the dispointement I personally had with 8, felt like they really got the charm of the series back.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

It has an incredibly charming and likeable protagonist, a fun setting and tone that allows itself to get dark and serious without feeling melodramatic, some incredible music, a well-rounded cast, and basically the whole kitchen sink for a fantasy JRPG narrative.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I bought it. I still think the character designs are bad, but there are just so many good impressions of this game I don't want to let that one thing put me off.

Anything I really need to know before my playthrough? I don't need to 100% the game, but if there are any really important missables or crazy requirements for a true ending, I'd like to hear about them. As spoiler-free as possible, preferably.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably my least favorite, I'll wait for some switch impressions.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I bought it. I still think the character designs are bad, but there are just so many good impressions of this game I don't want to let that one thing put me off.

Anything I really need to know before my playthrough? I don't need to 100% the game, but if there are any really important missables or crazy requirements for a true ending, I'd like to hear about them. As spoiler-free as possible, preferably.
There are probably some cards that are missable. I think there are missable items in the Desert Palace and in the area at the end of Disc 3. The major missable/reward item is for reaching almost the end of the game in 12 hours or fewer.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Debating between the Switch and Xbox version, I'm hoping to get some early impressions from both.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Finally get to break this out again!

XpG7LC8.jpg

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Watching a twitch stream for the Switch version and it looks like the first battle in each new area takes like 15 seconds to load compared to 5 seconds for following encounters.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
For someone that hasn't really played traditional jrpgs, would this be a solid starting place? Or would it be really grindy and potentially frustrating/confusing?

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got it
fkn hideous framerate on PC randomly, and random stalls on Xbox
First battle right in the beginning of the game takes like 6 seconds to load.
Haven't played it past that. I'm going to try to get refunded.

Last edited: