• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So, the Final Fantasy IX superboss, Ozma.

What is it?

No, really. What the hell is it?

latest

A giant dodgeball that got possessed by a Trapper Keeper? A globe painted by a haunted Spirograph? An extraordinarily mad marble? The result of the enemy modeler panicking because the game was near ship and they needed a superboss that could animate easily?

It's like getting your ass kicked by a max level Gobstopper, the Everlasting, fueled by the haunting, child-endangering spite of Gene Wilder's performance as Willy Wonka.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
The Gooch forgot he was supposed to get one of his artists to make a secret secret boss design so he popped into the editor and did a texture wrap on a sphere object.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's supposed to an Eidolon given you find it sealed in a hidden Eidolon Cave.

A quick trip to the FF wiki tells me that Eidolons are sort of interpretative and change shape over time depending on how they're viewed by their summoners. Tying this to Ozma, it could be an Eidolon so old it was forgotten and lost its shape.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Who the eff knows.

My headcanon now is that it's whatever it was in FFXIV, and just found it's way into IX's world.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's supposed to an Eidolon given you find it sealed in a hidden Eidolon Cave.

A quick trip to the FF wiki tells me that Eidolons are sort of interpretative and change shape over time depending on how they're viewed by their summoners. Tying this to Ozma, it could be an Eidolon so old it was forgotten and lost its shape.
This was my thought as well. Ozma had sorta just become the pure energy of an eidolon.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I believe that it is an Eidolon that lost its original form after being forgotten.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I remember a moogle (?) nearby who said something like "it's not of this world." Always took that to mean Square intended it as a tie-in to some upcoming property, kind of like how Cloud mutters "Xenogeas" in final fantasy VII. Figured whatever it was meant to reference never materialized.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a moogle (?) nearby who said something like "it's not of this world." Always took that to mean Square intended it as a tie-in to some upcoming property, kind of like how Cloud mutters "Xenogeas" in final fantasy VII. Figured whatever it was meant to reference never materialized.
Given that Ozma drops an item that teaches Garnet the Ark summon, and Ark is associated with Terra, it might also be an Eidolon from the other planet.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

The metaphysical being Ozma exists without form and is unknowable, untouchable, and unattainable. And it is indispensable. Those who recognize it will be forced to question existence, being, the gods, and themselves.

Sharing concept art cuz I thought it looked cool, and sharing the Theatrhythm (I hate typing that word) description cuz I kinda like it. ♫

A forbidden gobstopper.

Would try.
Only to find out the bottom half tastes like black licorice and existential dread. :( 🌧️

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
In FFXIV it is a defensive mechanism created by mages.

It can transform into different shapes. Fun fight.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Given that Ozma drops an item that teaches Garnet the Ark summon, and Ark is associated with Terra, it might also be an Eidolon from the other planet.
Yeah, I'm not confident in my assumption. Could be anything. I'm open to other theories. "A reference to another game" was just headcanon for me, not based on much except Square's tendency to reference outside properties in many of their games.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea that it's actually an incomprehensible object in person, like a fourth-dimensional object kind of like Metatron's Cube. But of course they lacked the ability to really translate that concept visually.

The FFXIV version of Ozma is even more hardcore. It effin'
swallowed up the Floating City of Nym.

OP
OP
Hailinel

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Emperor's New Groove fans, we need to talk about Yzma.
In-Defense-of-Yzma-Agism.png
Yzma was the best animated Disney villain in ages when she showed up.

Sharing concept art cuz I thought it looked cool, and sharing the Theatrhythm (I hate typing that word) description cuz I kinda like it. ♫

Would try.
Only to find out the bottom half tastes like black licorice and existential dread. :( 🌧️
It's cool to see the concept art behind Ozma and how its abstract appearance was designed. Thanks for sharing!

Is this a Stealth Korone thread?
I will neither confirm nor deny what may have influenced me to make this thread, but we can take the stealth out of it now:

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Would try.

Looking at that concept art, didn't realize it was an acronym. Wonder what it stands for...

Love stuff that isn't explained in games, so I'm enjoying this thread!

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So, the Final Fantasy IX superboss, Ozma.

What is it?

No, really. What the hell is it?

latest

A giant dodgeball that got possessed by a Trapper Keeper? A globe painted by a haunted Spirograph? An extraordinarily mad marble? The result of the enemy modeler panicking because the game was near ship and they needed a superboss that could animate easily?

It's like getting your ass kicked by a max level Gobstopper, the Everlasting, fueled by the haunting, child-endangering spite of Gene Wilder's performance as Willy Wonka.
Most likely, based on information from the game, it's an Eidolon that lost its form.

But I did have another idea about what it might be:

So as I'm sure has been pointed out time and again, there's a chance, given its location, that Ozma is an Eidolon that the Summoners were unable to summon. But, thinking on what Mene says about Ozma, I have further thoughts. Mene calls Ozma "not of this world" before you fight it, which got me thinking. Perhaps it really isn't. Perhaps Ozma is the crystal of Terra's attempt to create an Eidolon after interacting with Gaia's crystal. Because Terra is so weak, it has no proper form, but because it's Terra's only Eidolon it's also incredibly powerful. And, being of Terra, it would make sense that Gaian summoners couldn't call it.

And I know folks are going to point out Ark using the Terran sigil as evidence that it's a Terran Eidolon, but...

Meanwhile, Ark uses a Terran sigil during its attack, the Terran sigil in fact. Which would lead you to believe it's from Terra. Except the crystal is supposed to be too weak to make a proper Eidolon. Even if Ozma is one, it's far from a proper one. Ark, on the other hand, is the most powerful summon in the game and not only has form, it has two. So that lead me to ponder and I got to figuring: Ark is a Gaian Eidolon, but it's made from the memories of the Terran souls that had entered the Gaian crystal.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of those bouncy balls you can get for 25 cents from the toy dispenser at the supermarket.

And it's pissed.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a fantasy, a "final fantasy" if you will.

You beat the super boss and form a PACT with that high-level sunavabitch and you both go take out the final boss.... since they tend to be stronger than the final bosses anyways. And it's super easy, and the game cuts to credits because it wasn't too dramatic a showdown.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have a fantasy, a "final fantasy" if you will.

You beat the super boss and form a PACT with that high-level sunavabitch and you both go take out the final boss.... since they tend to be stronger than the final bosses anyways. And it's super easy, and the game cuts to credits because it wasn't too dramatic a showdown.

One of the DQ games lets you ask the superboss to kill the final boss for you, and he does.

Last edited:

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018
I will neither confirm nor deny what may have influenced me to make this thread, but we can take the stealth out of it now:

That could have gotten way worse if Ozma decided to use Doomsday on its first turn on her party lol....

Korone commanding Quina to try eating Ozma is quite cute lol.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It is what you get when you mash together different colored pieces of clay and form a sphere. I love it.