• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
So I was gifted some Nintendo eShop credit a few months ago and I finally decided to throw it down on FFIX. It's one of the few FF mainline FF games I haven't beaten and I figured this was as best time as ever to give it a shot. However, I've reached Lindblum, gone shopping, done lots of talking, seen a bunch of Active Time Events, and I feel like I haven't really "played" much.

Does it pick up? I always loved fighting monsters, fighting through dungeons, taking out bosses, but holy cow, there is so much talking in this game that I just can't will myself to pick up the Switch and play it when I don't know if the next hour or so is just going to be more talking.

Please, someone tell me it gets better!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If anything, FFIX is famous for its strong opening hours, so if you're not enjoying it by now, I don't think you'll change your mind later.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
You'll definitely get more of what you want. But I'd start getting invested more in the story too because the dialog certainly doesn't let up further in the game.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, FFIX is famous for its strong opening hours, so if you're not enjoying it by now, I don't think you'll change your mind later.
Ah shoot, I probably put about 4 hours into this game a few months ago and it just didn't grab me. I was hoping to come back to it eventually but if this is true, then ehhh

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
lindblum is basically where the game starts, i would give it a few more hours and see

at least, you're not as railroaded as you are from the opening through dali

me, i'm happy just playing chocobo hot and cold in the first forest until i get 20,000 points

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first disc is rough and the combat is slow and unresponsive for the entire game.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The characters, events, and scenario play a large role in how well it has been received. You'll get fights, but if the scenario or players aren't intriguing you, then you would do well to play something else.

Give it another chance when patience and/or curiosity is on the content, not because of internet relevance.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like the talking... bruh... this game is the talking...

The first disc is rough and the combat is slow and unresponsive for the entire game.

Slow I understand but unresponsive? Unless the hd versions are different, the menuing is very competent and the ATB is fairly easy to understand. It's not unresponsive at all.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
guess it depends on your history with FF. it's basically Final Fantasy qua Final Fantasy, if you like any of the other games you'll probably like it by default

i do think it gets held on a pedastal on virtue of being the most unoffensive entry to fan sensibilities. so if you listen too much about how it's the greatest thing ever then yeah, i wouldn't expect that

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
After Lindblum you get a ton more gameplay freedom and side content so keep going on

Ah shoot, I probably put about 4 hours into this game a few months ago and it just didn't grab me. I was hoping to come back to it eventually but if this is true, then ehhh
Not necessarily, the game gets very different as you go on so you might as well prefer the later parts compared to people who love the first parts

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So I was gifted some Nintendo eShop credit a few months ago and I finally decided to throw it down on FFIX. It's one of the few FF mainline FF games I haven't beaten and I figured this was as best time as ever to give it a shot. However, I've reached Lindblum, gone shopping, done lots of talking, seen a bunch of Active Time Events, and I feel like I haven't really "played" much.

Does it pick up? I always loved fighting monsters, fighting through dungeons, taking out bosses, but holy cow, there is so much talking in this game that I just can't will myself to pick up the Switch and play it when I don't know if the next hour or so is just going to be more talking.

Please, someone tell me it gets better!

The Begining of the game is so important to the rest of the game that I feel personally attacked by you about this lol

Also its just bosses back to back, there is a lot of complex shit happening in that game for most of the characters and if you just burn through the talking your gonna miss the story.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
guess it depends on your history with FF. it's basically Final Fantasy qua Final Fantasy, if you like any of the other games you'll probably like it by default

i do think it got held on a pedestal over the years on virtue of being the most unoffensive entry to fan sensibilities. so if you listen too much about how it's the greatest thing ever then yeah, i wouldn't expect that

It also has one of the better endings that I love.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If you didn't like that opening there's no helping you.
Quit, it's not for you.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of IX, but I thought it's opening was pretty strong..so if you don't like it by say the 12th hour, it's probably not for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely should drop it op. The opening of FFIX up to where you're at is probably my favourite of any jrpg I've played, I'd consider it extremely strong (the entire first disc in fact).

If you aren't digging it now, I'd cut my losses and play something that excites me, these games are too long to drag yourself through if you're having no fun.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's considered one of the best openers to a JRPG. Whimsical and theatrical.
The theater ship flying into the castle. If this doesn't charm you... like there's no point in playing.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The game is frankly completely linear, good, polished storytelling. You can grind abilities but the emphasis is not on optimization and fighting, and the final bosses are pretty unfairly balanced so you may end up having to use the cheats anyway. If you don't enjoy the dialogues and the characters yet it is really not for you. The combat system is the worst among the FFs I've finished (4, 6, 7, 9, 10), and there are virtually no good subquests or longer dungeons.

But all this didn't matter for me in the end. I would recommend to take it for what it is - an interactive story with some JRPG elements sprinkled in-between - as there are some beautifully deep moments and it also has much more humor than the other FFs. Vivi is a great character, I get all emotional just thinking about him - but all of them have some deeper existential questions going on. You may learn a thing or two about philosophy from the story.

Last edited:

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF9 is my favourite in the series, but if you've reached Lindblum and aren't too thrilled, you likely won't care for the rest either tbh

OP
OP
Tremagus

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Just to clarify, I don't hate any of the characters or the world itself, but it seems like the majority of what I've been doing is just lightly getting those characters from talking scene to talking scene. The only battles I've done was in the forest when the airship crashed and in the Ice Caverns. I even grinned for a while there just to change the pace.

I've played every FF except 2, , and 8 so I am quite familiar with JRPG's and especially what FF is all about, but this one just seems like a slow burn and I'm not opposed to it. I was just curious if I was going to have to wait to get to more of what I loved about the series.

Thank you for everyone giving me the info I need! I'll definitely keep pressing on.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The first two discs are the best part of the game. Though I'm not sure how FFIX has "too much talking", I find the script rather good and doesn't lose itself in pointless exposition or repetitions.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The responses to this thread are weird.

The op is asking if the amount of fighting and boss battles pick up after lindblum and everyone is talking about the opening segment as if the OP is asking about the story when he's clearly not.

To actually answer the OPs

After lindblum it's basically a nonstop cycle of fight after fight after fight until the end of disc 1, op.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Off of the top of my head, I can't recall much of anything in the plot that is going to convince you to keep going OP, but a fair bit more map exploration and a couple of interesting bosses. Shame, it is still my favourite game of all time, but any chance it had to grab you passed hours ago in game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There's an ability you basically need to beat one of the end game bosses, and it ruined one of my playthroughs because i had no backup save.
If you get far into it make sure you save a bunch and not be cocky like I was :'(

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If you consider stuff like FFIX to have "so much talking", keep your distance from Xenogears/Saga, Persona or Trails. Or most jrpgs ftm. It's like playing a shooter and complaining there's so much shootings.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to like it because everyone on the internet seems to love it. Had played back in the day, replayed it last year.

What a snooze. Game text drags on forever with barely any gameplay. Battle is slow and lacks any depth. Story really takes a nosedive after 2/3 in unless you like convoluted animu tropes. Had to use all the cheats on the ps4 so I could finish it.

Medica II

Alt account
Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Nope, it is by far one of the worst modern final fantasy games. 12 might be the only one that's worse.

The internet has a hard-on for it because there's this weird minority of extremely vocal FF fans who think the series should never stray at all from traditional high fantasy aesthetics and trash every game in the series that does, so 9 has become extremely overrated over the years as a result.

Last edited:

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I didn't know that FFIX considered to have a strong opening?

Anyways since you don't like it now then the game ain't for you.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
I recently played this game to get platinum, and wrote the guide on PSNProfiles to get all the trophies quickly.

The game has a very minimal story. You can get through it in like 6 hours without the speed boost. Its a very basic, but actually very good story. I loved every minute played. I just think they were rushed to get this out cause they wanted the teams to move on to FFX. Its in my top 5, but the story does lack. The pieces dont really come into play until the 4th disk.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I recently played this game to get platinum, and wrote the guide on PSNProfiles to get all the trophies quickly.

The game has a very minimal story. You can get through it in like 6 hours without the speed boost. Its a very basic, but actually very good story. I loved every minute played. I just think they were rushed to get this out cause they wanted the teams to move on to FFX. Its in my top 5, but the story does lack. The pieces dont really come into play until the 4th disk.

Bro, FFIX and FFX team are completely different.

FFX project began in 1999 and FFIX was in full development by then

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
It's one of the few FF mainline FF games I haven't beaten
I feel like I haven't really "played" much.
holy cow, there is so much talking in this game

giphy.gif

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
Bro, FFIX and FFX team are completely different.

FFX project began in 1999 and FFIX was in full development by then

Doesnt matter if you need the team to roll off to a new game. The game was quickly made. I bet you can find a lot of FF9's team members also on FFX in the credits. The game was rushed, and you can tell with the minimal story.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

FFIX is anything but rushed. The story is not even that minimal? That would also have no bearing on if a game was rushed or not, that is just indicative of what the dev wanted the game to be, it is a very classic call back to the early games, and still is a hefty 30+ hour campaign.

Guys BOTW story is very minimal, game was rushed!