• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finalfantasyiv_scene_ds_cover_art_by_yoshitaka_amano.jpg

Release date july 19 1991

Final_Fantasy_IV.jpg

While its not my favorite SNES FF, i think IV is one of the most important title to the series, its where the story gets more attention with a lot of development. Its the first title to be released after 1 in the US so it was very important game to square, and it seems its one of the most beloved game by the company since its the title with the most remakes and ports.

Yep ff4 and 10 at the same date.

rydia best ff4 character

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really great game that is for sure, it's a shame that even though I grew up along side it, I didn't really appreciate it til I played it many years later when the PS1 was in full swing.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
My first Final Fantasy game.

I remember playing it in the early 1990s on my SNES as a rental.

I had no idea what the hell I was doing so for the 3 days I had it, I didnt get too far.

But it became my first game I finished in the series a decade later though - such an amazing experience.

I played and beaten the following versions

-SNES: 8 times
-GBA: 1 time
-PS1: 2 times
-DS: 1 time
-PSP: 1 time

I still have to play

-Steam 3D
-iOS 3D

Gonna get the Pixel version for both iOS and Steam as well.

PSP version is the best version and the 3D versions are easily the worst versions

Last edited:

FFFanatic

Nov 1, 2017
<--- I will let my forum avatar speak for itself.

It may be cliche as hell, but it was my first Story-Heavy RPG, so it will always have a soft spot for me.
That, and some of the best music in the series IMHO.

I'm so looking forward to all the references to this in FF XIV's next expansion =)

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The DS version was my favourite version. Loved it from start to finish! Only thing I can complain about is having to farm pink tails if you want to do the super boss lol.

Oh yeah and Endwalker has lots of FF IV themed stuff. Cant wait for it

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
Still my favourite Final Fantasy game and the one that best encompasses the "classic" FF feel. An amazing adventure with iconic characters and great locations.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I think that the series' improvements shed a brighter light on FFIV's weaknesses, but it's still an enjoyable game with a story concept I still really love (and a great soundtrack). This game has gotten its share of ports, but it actually is the one title I'd love to see an FFVIIR style remake of.

Also really looking forward to Endwalker, they've built up to The Final Fantasy IV Expansion for a long time so I can't wait to dig in!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I used to love FFIV, but with all the re releases, as I replayed it I liked it less and less. Still decent, but yeah

FFV is my best friend now

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
ATB system, iconic music themes, Square at their peak.

The FFIV Advance art for the box and strategy guide basically melted my 11-year old brain when I first saw it. I had no idea video games could look like that.

mPxCK1r.jpg

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Currently playing through it for the first time (PSP) and really enjoying it. I love how fast the pacing is. I've only been playing for 7 hours but it feels like I've made a ton of progress and been to a bunch of different locations.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Easily one of the most important JRPGs of all time, in my opinion. I think you can run a pretty straight line between it and every major development in the genre in the past thirty years (to the date, now). I definitely recognize its issues but in the context of the games before it, FFIV is a huge step up in narrative and storytelling and in some ways is still very ambitious. I know it's a little hamfisted at times but I still love the intense themes of personal atonement and betrayal and loss. It's also really interesting how much conflict there is within the main party, especially when you compare it to a game like FFV, which is a lot more built upon the "found family" trope.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It was the first FF game I played, I still remember playing it on my SNES, can't believe it has been this long already, and of course I liked it a lot.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Would be rad to get a reimagining of FFIV that looks like FFIV DS's opening:

That's what I always wanted after seeing this.
Just imagine FFIV with those graphics on PS5!

On an unrelated note, Cecil and Kain look like Saint Seiya characters in armor in this video/the 3D Remake.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's really weird to think about how FF4 lost so much impact in Europe due to it not coming out until 2003 here.

I first played it on PS1 and absolutely loved it. I didn't love it as much as 5 or 6 but it's still a gem.

My biggest issue with 4 was how many times they played the bloody ima-sacrifice-myself trope lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Normally these 'x game is x years old' get me, but a SNES JRPG that released like 4 months after the console launched in the US doesn't really surprise me at being 30 years old.

Jul 7, 2021
It is a game I didn't play until I bought the Final Fantasy rereleases on Game Boy Advance.

It remains an outstanding entry, and one of the first video games that integrated a serious, dramatic storyline. It also has one of the series' finest soundtracks. Resonant Arc did a great review of the game:

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Rydia is my favourite FF character, so yeah, I love this one.
Also, Cecil whole development is also quite amazing.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one that made me fall in love with video games. Perhaps still my personal goat.

Fuck the 3D version though.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I want a high res remake of this. Would be so much fun. First game I ever bought. Beat it when I was like six or seven and couldn't grasp a fair bit about the plot. Had no concept of leveling up.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally just completed the PSP version this morning, in preparation for references in Endwalker.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sacrifice myself to make room for another party member.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
My first real FF (well, FFII in the US).

I will always, always adore this game. It actually put me on the path of 'enthusiast' for this hobby when, at the time, I had previously fallen off to pursue sports and relationships.

Thanks for keeping me a geek, Gooch!

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I love this game so much. It was my first RPG and the game that got my dad into games.

It just feels like a huge journey and having characters with a backstory and a story arc within the game felt crazy at the time. It's still crazy that you go underground and to the moon while the main map is pretty big on its own.

I have every port I believe, even the Wonderswan lol.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the game although at the time I thought it was a little handhold-y as I was used to earlier RPGs that were cryptic as hell by comparison.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was the first FF game I played, I still remember playing it on my SNES, can't believe it has been this long already, and of course I liked it a lot.

Same. My best friend's dad randomly bought it for him. We were so fucking blown away. Had never seen anything like it before. And still one of my favorite games of all time that I go back to for a replay every couple of years.

Oct 27, 2017
Coincidentally just completed the PSP version this morning, in preparation for references in Endwalker.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sacrifice myself to make room for another party member.
Never forget.

"Door's locked? Well I'll just blow myself up"
"Airships are following us? Guess I'll throw bombs and myself off the ship"

Good thing nobody ever actually dies in this game. (except Tellah and his family) Still a very fun rpg, and the 3d version is the best.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
Pretty amazing that in 10 years we got FF IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X. Those are almost all really well regarded games for the series - much more so than what came before or after.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
The jump from FF to FFIV blew me away. Granted, it was FFII for me, but it was absolutely crazy. My favorite, though I've never played II or III. I just love the characters: Cecil, Tellah, Kain, Rydia, Edward, Rosa, Yang, Edge, Palom and Porom, and so on. Going to the fucking moon. Badass Golbez. I'm sure I'd be in the minority, but I'd be all for a remake.