• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Final Fantasy III was the first game of the series which introduced the job system. I didn't play the original game but I played the Remake of DS which came out 2007 on Europe. One of my favorite games on DS, great RPG!!!

Update: Here is a special interview for the 30 years of the game with Hiromichi Tanaka, Game creator involved in many titles, including FINAL FANTASY III, Secret of Mana and Xenogears. Still actively involved in the game industry at GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc.!
na.finalfantasy.com

FINAL FANTASY III 30th Anniversary Special Interview Vol.1 | TOPICS | FINAL FANTASY PORTAL SITE | SQUARE ENIX

April 27 marks 30 years since FINAL FANTASY III was released! We interviewed Hiromichi Tanaka and Koichi Ishii, two game creators who have extensiv...

Last edited:

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Played on the DS. Cool game, but for DS reasons, on the NES looks so dry.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm still disappointed they scrapped the 16-bit remake due to Wanderswan dying. Not that there's anything wrong with the DS version but it would've been great to have the entire NES years available with 16-bit aesthetics.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Finished the original a few years back and finished the DS version last year.

Great game , planning to play the PC version soon.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
The final dungeon stretch is brutal in the DS/PSP remake. I found it easy until the final boss curbstomped me and since you can only save on the world map, you're sent back effectively three dungeons. I tried it again and died to the final boss again so I gave up and never completed it.
Just watched the ending on YouTube.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That last dungeon was brutal. I hated when I died agins the last boss =(

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
FFIII on the 3DS was the first FF game I owned and I consider the start of the reason why I love the series. Eternal Wind brings up so many memories, when I heard how it was used in FFXIV I nearly cried.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the first old school FF I'd replay but it was pretty good at the time, plus adding a lot to what would become series' staples : the job system, chocobo, moogles, summons.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I think the Steam version is the DS version, just ported.

Steam version is actually the PSP version without the Wi-Fi capability.

The PC version lack the online functionality "Mognet" which is used for sidequests and stuff - the PSP/PC/iOS/android versions actually allow you to do the side quest after a certain part of the story is done instead.

If I remember right, same thing with the secret boss.

What are the differences between the two games? I've read that the remake substantially changes the combat for the lesser.

The remake changed the combat a bit but the biggest change is actually with the characters and the story.

OG FF3 on NES had 4 generic characters which were orphans and literally sibilings who grew up, they have no actual name (you HAVE to choose the name) and they all start out as "Onion Knights" - also barely any interaction or personality.

Remake FF3 (DS, iOS, android, PSP, and PC) have a new cast of characters each with their own personality, interactions and backstory. They have their own names and they all start with the most common starting job seen in other FF games (like FF5) called Freelancer. Onion Knight is a premium end game like class that has a ton of bonuses and stuff.

On top of that, there are more jobs/classes in the remake compared to the original.

Re-balancing of classes - for an example the Ninja and Sage classes in the original NES ver were overpowered and there was no point in playing the other classes once you get them compared to the remake where the stats and bonuses are re-balanced to the point where if you want to use a older class , you dont have to worry about being weaker than the Ninja/Sage classes.

Also there's a extra dungeon with a secret boss.

That and you got the usual remixed music, improved/remade visuals - going from 2D to 3D, etc.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I did enjoy it through I had to use a few mods and cheats to really enjoy it last year (mention in the cheat thread) because the game has some rude balancing. A few adjustment and the remake would be well remembered.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's III's anniversary? Oh man, I should celebrate by replaying it on my PS4!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
My first FF game was FFX on PS3. The graphics of FF games prior to PS2 is too great of a hurdle for me to over come. Thus I had often wondered what would it be to have these earliest FF getting remade with today's tech. I am thankful that FFVIIR has come to pass and I do hope that the stories of FF games on SNES are retold for a new generation some day in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
My first FF game was FFX on PS3. The graphics of FF games prior to PS2 is too great of a hurdle for me to over come. Thus I had often wondered what would it be to have these earliest FF getting remade with today's tech. I am thankful that FFVIIR has come to pass and I do hope that the stories of FF games on SNES are retold for a new generation some day in the future.
Like, decades in the future maybe.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Never finished this one, always meant to. Though the posts about the final dungeon make me think I'll try an English patched version of the Famicom original so I can have some save states to fall back on.

Still wish Square would do a faithful 2D FF collection with some QoL improvements

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It was my first Final Fantasy game, and I love it to death. I'll never forget how I felt when I flew off the edge of the world and discovered it was just a speck in a vast ocean. It needs an actual decent remake. :(

Isotope

Nov 7, 2017
The DS remake was my first FF game, and I absolutely loved it so much. It's still a bit rough around the edges, but it holds a special place for me.

Seeing this movie on my DS for the first time blew my mind.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting shot down by that castle empire and getting stuck there because the boss was so hard. So I grinded everyone to be decent Dragoons to jump the boss to death. That was fun. Sucks that everytime you switch jobs you get a debuff. Also the save point thing. Though on PC I cheesed it using the continue function

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The DS remake was my first FF game, and I absolutely loved it so much. It still a bit rough around the edges, but it holds a special place for me.

Seeing this movie on my DS for the first time blew my mind.

A Final Fantasy game that looks and plays like that intro movie is honestly my dream game. The sense of adventure you get from it is phenomenal.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Probably the most underrated game in the franchise for me. The scope of this game is pretty insane for a game of its vintage, the Amano monster designs are a technical showpiece for the system, there are secrets and side dungeons around every corner, and it's damn challenging (though without any kinds of savepoints, the final dungeon is a slog).

Scenario is also great (yay Kenji Terada!). My favorite part is when the world, previously covered by the boundless ocean, resurfaces, and you wake up in the town of Amur, finding out that the despot Goldor chained your ship to the docks...

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If the Wonderswan version existed we could've had a PSP version akin to FF1 and FF2, so sad.

I never finished 3 but I enjoyed what I played of the NES version.

The DS remake was weird in that I was surprised they created characters and some backstory for them in a game that didn't have a grand narrative anyways.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've tried to convince myself I like this game in the past but the truth is I really don't. I can't get very far without grinding the hell out of it.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Steam version is actually the PSP version without the Wi-Fi capability.

The PC version lack the online functionality "Mognet" which is used for sidequests and stuff - the PSP/PC/iOS/android versions actually allow you to do the side quest after a certain part of the story is done instead.

If I remember right, same thing with the secret boss.

The remake changed the combat a bit but the biggest change is actually with the characters and the story.

OG FF3 on NES had 4 generic characters which were orphans and literally sibilings who grew up, they have no actual name (you HAVE to choose the name) and they all start out as "Onion Knights" - also barely any interaction or personality.

Remake FF3 (DS, iOS, android, PSP, and PC) have a new cast of characters each with their own personality, interactions and backstory. They have their own names and they all start with the most common starting job seen in other FF games (like FF5) called Freelancer. Onion Knight is a premium end game like class that has a ton of bonuses and stuff.

On top of that, there are more jobs/classes in the remake compared to the original.

Re-balancing of classes - for an example the Ninja and Sage classes in the original NES ver were overpowered and there was no point in playing the other classes once you get them compared to the remake where the stats and bonuses are re-balanced to the point where if you want to use a older class , you dont have to worry about being weaker than the Ninja/Sage classes.

Also there's a extra dungeon with a secret boss.

That and you got the usual remixed music, improved/remade visuals - going from 2D to 3D, etc.

DS version models look ugly and rough. I am so good.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
FFII on DS was my first Final Fantasy game other than FFVII on PS1 years before. I loved it.

I did have to grind a lot to be able to beat the last boss though. I dunno, maybe I had made some poor choices.