• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Beef don't bring your FF4 slander here hmph!

On topic I really hope we get console ports of the first VI games. Especially the PSP versions.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Are you thinking of FFVI? Like the original is fine and serviceable, but 8 bit JRPGs were not much more than that (in my opinion, of course).

Yeah, I was thinking 3 (Japan) was 3 (US). But if we're talking 3 (US) then we're actually talking about 6 (Japan). I prefer the 2d approach with slightly updated graphics, but kept in the same style as the original.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEraâ„¢ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Beef don't bring your FF4 slander here hmph!
It is not slander, I resent that!

jameson-slander-libel-spider-man.gif

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah, I was thinking 3 (Japan) was 3 (US). But if we're talking 3 (US) then we're actually talking about 6 (Japan). I prefer the 2d approach with slightly updated graphics, but kept in the same style as the original.
Nobody really refers to them with the US numbering anymore, it became outdated pretty much as soon as they started rereleasing then with the correct numbering. But this game is 3.

I'm one of the rare ones that wouldn't have minded 6 (and 5) being remade in this style, I'm still sad they stopped after IV.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Holy smokes yes!

I was planning to play this soon on steam but glad I waited (was gonna do it last year or so but ended up playing the DS version first)

Here is hoping ff1 and 2 come out on steam and 3 come out on PS4 and Switch

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Are they doing this to hype up Bravely Default 2 launch? After all, it's successor of the spiritual successor of the spiritual successor of FF3.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Looking at the trailer, the battles distinctly look like they're running at lower than 30 FPS.
Didn't all the DS FF remakes run at a lower framerate in battles?
The battles are 15fps in this game too.

No, only 4 has that issue (and even that has a workaround via ini changes)

Just bought this but it aint working, black screen after the intro.
Yeah, they broke the game.

lol yea, just downloaded it to proof the statement above and the game just flatout won't work, good job square enix!

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody really refers to them with the US numbering anymore, it became outdated pretty much as soon as they started rereleasing then with the correct numbering. But this game is 3.

I'm one of the rare ones that wouldn't have minded 6 (and 5) being remade in this style, I'm still sad they stopped after IV.

I really like the Final Fantasy IV Complete Edition which came out for vita. This art style is similar to the original art.

1694990-615911_20110419_020.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So there this little game, you may of heard of it, its only called FINAL FANTASY VI!
And it still looks like the dog vomited on it!
ss_b3a5dd32e3a8882ff71d0c50ff084a9724d696dc.jpg

Maybe, I dunno, do something about that?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Huh. Thought Steam was doing that weird thing it occasionally does when it "updates" a bunch of random games with a 0 KB "download", but this one was real.

Don't suppose they finally brought the game up to the standards of 1996 and added texture filtering?

EDIT: ...aaaaand the game crashes right after the opening FMV. Amazing patch, Square. Looks like they're going to have to roll this one back just the FFX/X-2 PC update.

EDIT 2: Looks like they fixed it just now. Impressive turnaround, though I'm still baffled as to how the above issue went unnoticed.

Last edited:

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, unexpected. Don't like playing games on mobile so I'll give this a miss but if it comes to other platforms, I'm sold. Loved it on the DS, the PSP version was even better.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's good. But it's very very retro and the final dungeon is nuts. You lose like two hours of progress if you lose against the extremely difficult final boss.
Esh, yeah. I've played 1, 2, 3 and 4 and 3 is the only one I haven't beaten because of that last dungeon. I spent over 10 hours trying to beat the final boss and I'm like no, I'm forgetting this and going on to 4. This was on the DS so I can't try out the new speed stuff.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the Final Fantasy IV Complete Edition which came out for vita. This art style is similar to the original art.

1694990-615911_20110419_020.jpg

Outside of the font choice, which isn't even that bad, this is the route they should have taken for all the other 2D "remakes", at least when it comes to the battle sprites. The overworld sprites were where you can see them start to adopt the "tiny torso, giant arms" you see in the V and VI updates. Keeping things pixelated helps obscure it a bit, at least.

Honestly though it's really baffling Square Enix seems allergic to pixel art when two of their major mobile titles, Brave Exvius and Record Keeper, are all about unfiltered pixels.

But anyways yeah I might finally try and complete FFIII now.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of the font choice, which isn't even that bad, this is the route they should have taken for all the other 2D "remakes", at least when it comes to the battle sprites. The overworld sprites were where you can see them start to adopt the "tiny torso, giant arms" you see in the V and VI updates. Keeping things pixelated helps obscure it a bit, at least.

Honestly though it's really baffling Square Enix seems allergic to pixel art when two of their major mobile titles, Brave Exvius and Record Keeper, are all about unfiltered pixels.

But anyways yeah I might finally try and complete FFIII now.

I absolutely LOVE Octopath Traveler. That has fantastic pixel art. It's the best pixel art they've done in years. If you're going to make it 3d (which you shouldn't) then it should look amazing. Otherwise, just keep it to 2d pixel art.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I need FFIV The Complete Collection, and the Anniversary Editions of FFI and II to come to Steam and modern consoles like yesterday.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing anything misaligned, like I said it looks fine.
CPsiRsSUYAAsnro

Here's a much better example of what's wrong with FF VI on Steam. It's actually FF V, but a lot of the problems carry over.
Even if the art didn't have the awful blur and seams between the tiles, it would still look like someone's first attempt using RPG maker, just grabbing sprites from wherever without regard for consistency or quality.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Please stop posting those screenshots!

Back on topic, this is one of the few mainline FFs I've never played/finished.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they've fixed the crash but there's a whole bunch of other problems, like no music in most areas, fonts that are too big for the windows and a stuttery opening movie.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet, I may finally pick this up. The PC version has been terrible for so long.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they do this with the rest of the games too (and get the original art in 5/6). Sucks to have the most easily accessible versions be so busted and bad

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
CPsiRsSUYAAsnro

Here's a much better example of what's wrong with FF VI on Steam. It's actually FF V, but a lot of the problems carry over.
Even if the art didn't have the awful blur and seams between the tiles, it would still look like someone's first attempt using RPG maker, just grabbing sprites from wherever without regard for consistency or quality.

People love to use this one example, but honestly -- hot take here -- the mobile version of FFV is my favorite. The colorful graphical style fits FFV's more whimsical tone perfectly (for all the same reasons that it clashes terribly with FFVI), the battle animations are nice, and it's definitive in content and QoL.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Update IV, you cowards.
The Steam version still uses the mobile layout and it's shitty as it get.

On topic, I might finally play it now.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few I've beaten. It's a really good game. Classes and party composition are pretty much the only thing you need to worry about. There are like two cheap spots but that's not really a problem unless you're playing blind and without Google. I liked tanking with a Viking with two shields equipped.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
That's a shame. I'm sure there would be plenty of studios willing to localize it. The 3d graphics just look so bad compared to the 2d art.
I'd much rather the 3D compared to what they did to FFV and VI

Anyway, reading some of the responses here, I do remember the final dungeon being long af, but I wasn't aware the final boss was considered that tough, I'm pretty sure I destroyed them and I was like 14 at the time, think my party was Ninja, Magus, Devout, Geomancer, Ninja did mad damage with Throw lol

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They didn't just release the update for the game. They also released this game to more countries too!

Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea,China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippine,

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed this on DS back when it came out. But that final dungeon is total horse shit.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Time to port 1 - 6 to Switch, and FFT.

Then you can play 1 - 12 on the same system, and maybe even one day they could port 13.