• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Am I the only person happy with this decision? Like, you can still bring your family over and each one play with their phones or switch. I know the equipment stuff is very lite and I'm sure they could have used a corner of the screen for that stuff, but it honestly doesn't kill the game for me... I feel people get overly dramatic over little things like this nowadays 🤷‍♂️

Jan 11, 2018
It just keeps getting worse and worse lol
  • No local coop
  • Region locked online
  • Probably need an online sub for PS4/NSW
  • Multi is restricted to dungeons

There was nothing said but no physical release seems to be a given too, that's great the game will dissapear into oblivion once the online stores are down (unless you buy the physical JP release... but then you're restricted to play with others who also own a japanese copy if I get that right?) and will be a full single player game 10y from now once the multiplayers servers are shutdown

How fun, the free version is a plus but when you see the negatives I'd rather have no free version and most of the above fixed in the first place, alas that's not how it works unfortunately.

How on earth have they managed to mess this up so badly after it's already been delayed for so long?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry but screw this then.

Yall dont want Local Multiplayer on the Switch trust me. The range is so flaky and if you get up and move away from the host/others the connection dies and you have to start all over. It's infuriating, especially in Animal Crossing where it takes 5 mins per person to get on an island. Might as well everyone use online

Local multiplayer in this case has the traditional meaning of multiple people playing on a single console, which is how the game originally was. They're actually removing functionality.

How on earth have they managed to mess this up so badly after it's already been delayed for so long?

Square is quite possibly the most consistently incompetent company ever when it comes to ports / remasters. I can't think of any other that gives any less fucks than them.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only person happy with this decision? Like, you can still bring your family over and each one play with their phones or switch. I know the equipment stuff is very lite and I'm sure they could have used a corner of the screen for that stuff, but it honestly doesn't kill the game for me... I feel people get overly dramatic over little things like this nowadays 🤷‍♂️

I imagine you are the only one happy with this yes. No one is being dramatic about this, they have demastered the game and gutted the core component of co-op play.

If we had online and local co-op everyone would be happy, there are some great games that already make this work in a similar fashion, so this choice is quite baffling aside from trying to sell more copies.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Original:

New:

Vastly inferior.

Vastly? They sound nearly identical to me. If anything, the new one has some more production value thrown in.

As for OP, I'm similarly disappointed, but if I had to pick, then yeah definitely online multiplayer is the correct choice, especially considering the current climate. It certainly seems like there was some attempt though, given the unclear earlier marketing and the rumors we had going around (could this have been a reason for the delay). Still getting this regardless.

And I forget, but did they say whether it would be cross platform multiplayer?

Jan 11, 2018
Square is quite possibly the most consistently incompetent company ever when it comes to ports / remasters. I can't think of any other that gives any less fucks than them.

I'd flip that around and say they're inconsistently competent. Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII as well as the Kingdom Hearts remasters go way beyond the work most other companies put into theirs. Having Sakimoto's and Shimomura's lovely scores re-recorded by actual orchestras is huge, given how important music has been and continues to be for the Square Enix brand. But then you have half-hearted stuff like... everything with ties to mobile ports. It's annoying.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'd flip that around and say they're inconsistently competent. Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII as well as the Kingdom Hearts remasters go way beyond the work most other companies put into theirs. Having Sakimoto's and Shimomura's lovely scores re-recorded by actual orchestras is huge, given how important music has been and continues to be for the Square Enix brand. But then you have half-hearted stuff like... everything with ties to mobile ports. It's annoying.

Yeah, inconsistently competent is probably the best way to put it. Didn't some of these remasters have worse character models / expressions because they remastered the original low-poly gameplay models and used them as the high-poly cutscene models too?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Wait that tweet is confusing. Is matchmaking limited to dungeons only, or the entirety of multiplayer dungeons only?

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I am a bit confused by some of these posts. Wasn't MP only designed for the dungeons? What's the big change?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I cannot imagine doing random matchmaking in this game unless they're getting rid of the need for a chalice-carrier. That shit was the cause of legitimate spat amongst my friends back in the day.

As adults I can see my friends and I messing with it each other and having fun with that but randos could just be assholes.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That's a very expensive solution.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, inconsistently competent is probably the best way to put it. Didn't some of these remasters have worse character models / expressions because they remastered the original low-poly gameplay models and used them as the high-poly cutscene models too?

Not that I can recall. Some people didn't like the updated face models in FFX HD, but that's all I can think of.

But I feel like the one thing uniting most of the less than stellar remasters/ports is smartphone availability. I would assume that's where their priorities lie, at least when thinking about the Asian market, for those releases.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The matchmaking being limited to dungeon has deeper implications.
It's now STILL ridiculously difficult to get the highest level gear.
You need best status with a smith family to get access to the best smith to be able to get the best gear.
You ALSO need the best status of a merchant family to get access to the items to smith the best gear.

There's at least 2 types of smith

without planning it's nearly impossible to get 3 characters with good family ties (remember you can only raise that by FINISHING a dungeon and sending a letter).
Just try finishing a level 3 dungeon with a starter character.
false edit :
Just checked you actually need Alchemist, Merchant, Smith, Tailor!

And also without the merchant you can't have the gear and without Smith or tailor no one to even make the gear

cdc.jpg

This is the part that made playing multiplayer EVEN better than playing solo.
And with the new advanced dungeons,
how the fuck do they expect players to have the gear necessary to get through EVEN HARDER dungeons?

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Not being able to visit towns together and have to match make every dungeon with friends sounds bad. :(

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused...

does this imply only dungeons have multiplayer?

Or can I make a custom group, with friends, and play through the entire game? But if I want to matchmake with randoms, it's only dungeons?

If it's the latter, I can be okay with that. If it's the former..... looooooooooooooooool.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I really didn't see much of an issue with no local co-op, because while it's unfortunate I'm still wondering how most of you (who aren't playing with your immediate family/household) think it'll be safe to have people over when this comes out in a month.

But turning the multiplayer into some sort of MHW-esque out of town only thing is just weird. What's the point of changing that so much...?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Why have people share one copy when THEY CAN BUY TWO!?!?!? ✨✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

Ah well... Trials of Mana going from 3p co-op to single player was the bigger letdown of the two, but this still sux.

This comment makes no sense (and is just FUD) given that you only need one purchased copy to play MP.

The Lite version of the game works as an online client with both other Lite versions (limited to free locations) as well as the full version (no limits) so long as one player in the group owns the full game in the latter case.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused...

Or can I make a custom group, with friends, and play through the entire game? But if I want to matchmake with randoms, it's only dungeons?

If it's the latter, I can be okay with that. If it's the former..... looooooooooooooooool.

Yeah Square needs to clarify ASAP. If that's really the case then why fucking bother. Good lord SE you had one job

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never thought I'd say these words in my life refering to CC, but dusting off my GC and GBAs will provide a better experience..

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused...

Yeah they need to clarify cuz if it's the former that's gunna kill it for me.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine your rationale for "I'm happy with them cutting features" rather than at most "I'm apathetic since my playstyle will be unaffected."

"I feel people get overly dramatic over little things like this nowadays 🤷‍♂️" is of course easier to say when your one specific playstyle is unaffected.

Basically, big eye rolls your way bud.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I can't imagine your rationale for "I'm happy with them cutting features" rather than at most "I'm apathetic since my playstyle will be unaffected."

"I feel people get overly dramatic over little things like this nowadays 🤷‍♂️" is of course easier to say when your one specific playstyle is unaffected.

Basically, big eye rolls your way bud.

The thing is, I don't understand what feature they are cutting because I played this game on release in GameCube and you couldn't just connect 4 wavebirds and chill in the couch and play. You needed 5 consoles for the full coop experience: 1 GameCube and 4 Gameboy Advances.

I'm aware that the game could very well just work without the extra gameboys and I think the experience can still work differently, but for whatever reason, Square wants to stick with the "this isnt your traditional coop game" features. So the whole Cutting features? Please tell me what features they cut?

My point is: instead of focusing on what it could have been, I prefer to focus on what's in the package: Online Coop. Which is the main way I'll be playing this game. If someone wants to join they can download the game in their phone or iPad and play with me, or they can use a Switch.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just became a no-buy for me. Really short-sighted decision to not include this in the game and will hurt it in the long run.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
ec.nintendo.com

ファイナルファンタジー・クリスタルクロニクル リマスター ダウンロード版

任天堂の公式オンラインストア。「ファイナルファンタジー・クリスタルクロニクル リマスター ダウンロード版」の販売ページ。マイニンテンドーストアではNintendo Switch(スイッチ)やゲームソフト、ストア限定、オリジナルの商品を販売しています。

preload now avail on JP Store

- there is no touch screen support
- no multi-language support

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
I was a day 1 purchase for this, but after all the news, losing features over and over, I'll pick it up when it's $15 or so.

Jan 2, 2018
I was disappointed but okay with the lack of local coop, but if I can't play the whole game from start to finish online with my friends, I will not buy it.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
I don't get why is people so hurt by the lack of local coop. Games have been like this for a generation or two.

The game has:
  • A free demo that is basically the full game
  • Cross play between Switch, PS4 and mobiles
  • All games, except for free to play ones, uses online services on PS4 and Switch. That's not Square Enix fault.
The game was never an easy translate to local couch co-op because of all the menus it opens for each character during the mission, even for the mail the characters receive. I wonder if people really played the game as they say.

I hope we get information regarding the matchmaking. Now, that's what we shoud really be looking up to.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition

FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES™ Remastered Edition is an enchanting action RPG that follows a young group, known as the Crystal Caravanners, as they embark on an epic journey to search for myrrh, a precious and rare liquid needed to cleanse and maintain a crystal protecting their world from...

preorder up on US PSN

Description
Pre-order FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONCILES Remastered Edition now to receive an exclusive theme!

New and upgraded features include:
English voice over
New and rerecorded music
Upgraded graphics
Online multiplayer and cross-play funtionality
New equipment and upgrades
New character variations
New "Mimic" mode to change appearance
Increased difficulty post-game dungeons, and more!

Offline single player
Online multiplayer (2-4 players). A paid-for PlayStation Plus membership is required. Online features require an account and are subject to our terms of service (playstationnetwork.com/terms-of-service), our privacy policy

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't too bummed personally about the no local play thing, but region locked multiplayer is a no go for me since my fiancee and I live on other sides of the planet right now. Shame too since this was the biggest game we'd been looking forward to playing together since Monster Hunter World

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Shoulda just left it on the GameCube as a cult classic remembered by the ages. I knew SE would flub it up.

Literally the only reason I'd still pick up a copy is physically for my collection and it doesn't even look like I can do that (and have it in English) lol.

:|

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition

FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES™ Remastered Edition is an enchanting action RPG that follows a young group, known as the Crystal Caravanners, as they embark on an epic journey to search for myrrh, a precious and rare liquid needed to cleanse and maintain a crystal protecting their world from...

preorder up on US PSN

Preordered but didn't get the theme for some reason.

Jan 11, 2018
- No physical copy outside of Japan, and Japanese copies don't have multi-language support (even the chocobo game remaster did!)
- No dual audio (can we at least mute those awful voices?)
- No offline co-op
- online co-op seems limited to dungeons only (?) and is region-locked!
- Seemingly no optimisation for either Switch (no touch controls in handheld mode) or PS4 Pro?

Like, I'm just waiting for the news to drop that this is locked to 1080p30 on PS4.

They delayed this game a couple of times because they needed more time. For what? This is so bare bones.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually fine to me. I don't really play local multiplayer (especially in the days of the rona), so I was just gonna end up playing this online with my brother or something anyways.