• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I want more color options for when I'm spray painting my moogle.
Guess I'm just confusing it for some other game.

Anyway, how does that bucket work? It seems like such a pain in the ass to have to keep taking it along with you.
The story is based around miasma taking over the area and it can poison/kill anything it touches. That bucket is a chalice that hold myrrh that protects individuals within a certain radius from the miasma.

It actually isn't as annoying as it seems and you get used to it very quickly. When playing multi-player you can get anyone to carry it and if playing solo you can get a moogle to carry it around for you.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
are you not aware of Sony's reputation regarding crossplay?

How did you come to the conclusion that "Sony hates Microsoft" from this particular announcement/thread? That's literally the only thing you said in your post, so it sounded like a weird non sequitur. I'm gathering from this reply that's all it was.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see a release date, but no couch co-op is bullshit, and the OST...
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that new theme song arrangement is so gooooooooood
Man, the song in the trailer is sooooo good!
Am I deaf? Are you guys deaf? Someone here is definetly deaf. The new vocals sucked out all the charm that was present in the original.
With new voices, I'm so worried we're going to lose the original English level narrator. She was one of the most memorable and defining parts of the original game for me. :(

If the soundtrack is going to get new arrangements, I really hope Kumi Tanioka is involved again. I'm worried it won't feel the same without her.

This game isn't famous enough to have it, but if they did redo the soundtrack, I'd love if the console releases featured the choice of switching between the versions, just like in recent releases of FFX.

Yes, that was the first thing I noticed. I'm glad they brought her back, but...I'm not a fan of this new version. The delivery is different and what I'd describe as more dramatic. But I haven't listened all the way through yet. If the lyrics are improved, I can maybe accept it. At the very least, I'm pretty sure the original English recording was of a poor quality (at least, based on what I can find online), so I get why they felt they should re-record it.

EDIT: It's hard to hear the new lyrics precisely. I seem to notice a couple slight changes of phrases. I don't think they're necessarily better, though.
Thankyou.gif.
I hope it's only the vocal tracks and they leave the rest alone. It didn't specifically state new arranged soundtrack after all like the other new points. I already hate the fact now the chars will scream during the music tracks every time they cast something. Like, who asked for that lol.

If they screw with one of the best OSTs of all time and don't even give us an option for the old one there's gonna be riots.

Oct 26, 2017
New bosses and dungeons makes me interested. I never finished the original as I hated having to revisit old dungeons in order to progress the story.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly just thought to myself "how did they manage cross play between the Switch and GameCube"?
I'm a goddamn idiot.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
All iOS/Android players are now and forever on bucket-bitch duty.
Hey now. The more people that get to play this fantastic game, the better. The iOS and Android release are a good thing.

Glad to see a release date, but no couch co-op is bullshit, and the OST...

Am I deaf? Are you guys deaf? Someone here is definetly deaf. The new vocals sucked out all the charm that was present in the original.

Thankyou.gif.
I hope it's only the vocal tracks and they leave the rest alone. It didn't specifically state new arranged soundtrack after all like the other new points. I already hate the fact now the chars will scream during the music tracks every time they cast something. Like, who asked for that lol.

If they screw with one of the best OSTs of all time and don't even give us an option for the old one there's gonna be riots.
Yeah, I'm hoping they don't change much else on the soundtrack. I think the new theme is okay, but definitely not as great as the original. Though for the character voices, I'm sure there's at least an option to disable them.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm hoping they don't change much else on the soundtrack. I think the new theme is okay, but definitely not as great as the original. Though for the character voices, I'm sure there's at least an option to disable them.
Let's hope for the best then. Ever since this got announced I have a discord group with 2 friends I palyed this to death with back then. No couch-co-op is already kind of a big negative but it would be ok...if everything else stays the same.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Man, all they had to do was make local multiplayer possible without the crazy amount of equipment involved on the GameCube. But nope, looks l still need to keep my Wii around for this and Four Sword Adventures

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, all they had to do was make local multiplayer possible without the crazy amount of equipment involved on the GameCube. But nope, looks l still need to keep my Wii around for this and Four Sword Adventures
Like, Diablo 3 just gave everyone the option to open the menu whenever they want. That was a lot of shit to be dealt with but people could just handle with stuff like everyone does inventory management only every 5 mins or so.

And in CC you barely have inventory to manage outside getting spells in dungeons. This is super weird.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, lack of couch co op might be a massive deal breaker. I loved the original.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019

100% agree, the new theme song is a downgrade from the original. Can't believe they decided to change something that didn't need changing, but STILL left out couch co op. That was literally the only reason I was looking forward to it

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% agree, the new theme song is a downgrade from the original. Can't believe they decided to change something that didn't need changing, but STILL left out couch co op. That was literally the only reason I was looking forward to it
There IS couch co-op. You just need four different switch devices in the same room. They're trying to make it consistent with the ridiculous hoops you had to jump through for Crystal Chronicles back in the day, that's all.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also the right time to deep dive into Iwata Asks for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

No because it's the Crystal Bearers game that has nothing in common with this one (and just sucks in general)
delet-this-5cbdfe.png

I'll probably take my Switch to a friend and we play next to each other anyway. Playing on different screens sucks for sure though.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
There IS couch co-op. You just need four different switch devices in the same room. They're trying to make it consistent with the ridiculous hoops you had to jump through for Crystal Chronicles back in the day, that's all.

Which requires everyone who wants to play to own a copy of the game, plus a switch? Compare this to regular 'coach co op' like for example Diablo or Divinity where I can just buy the game and play it with my fiancé easily, it seems ridiculous

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Like, Diablo 3 just gave everyone the option to open the menu whenever they want. That was a lot of shit to be dealt with but people could just handle with stuff like everyone does inventory management only every 5 mins or so.

And in CC you barely have inventory to manage outside getting spells in dungeons. This is super weird.
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. They could even just turn it into a ring menu for each character's unpaused use. Or keep the original 4:3 view and use the extra space to display the gba screens

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh God, I hope that opening interpretation doesn't replace the original.
Lol it absolutely will, count on it. All we can hope for is for the rest of the songs to be left untouched.
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. They could even just turn it into a ring menu for each character's unpaused use. Or keep the original 4:3 view and use the extra space to display the gba screens
Yeah I didn't even think of a ring menu. SE didn't either it seems lol. I hope at least the online experience doesn't suck. Imagine sitting next to each other with everyone having a Switch in hand and one of you lags.

Oct 31, 2017
Ewwww they butchered the opening song

Edit: how the fuck are some people praising the new version in here? All it is, is changing the length of the notes for the sake of sounding different (or as another poster put it, more dramatic). The tone is totally off and there isn't even vibrato being used. It sucks

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I watched the japanese trailer: (but I also like the new english vocals)

Is this not the original Japanese version? I'd have to do a side-by-side, but this sounds pretty close to the original.

If this is the same, I'm not unconvinced that they chose to rerecord the English version specifically because something was off with the original audio recording and because they wanted to redo the translation, but I would take both aspects of the original.

Not feeling that remix. Why does she pause so much?

Exactly. This is my issue. She switched up her delivery of the words, and I don't like the new one. It sounds like she's "performing" it by putting emphasis on certain words, rather than simply singing it, and for the vibe I associate with the game, I prefer the original.

Oct 25, 2017
With new voices, I'm so worried we're going to lose the original English level narrator. She was one of the most memorable and defining parts of the original game for me. :(

I don't see why we would. Donna Burke was the narrator and they already got her back to rerecord the music.
The new rendition is a little iffy, but the sound quality is a lot better, and frankly she's a better singer than she was too.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why we would. Donna Burke was the narrator and they already got her back to rerecord the music.
The new rendition is a little iffy, but the sound quality is a lot better, and frankly she's a better singer than she was too.

Ah, I never looked up who the original narrator was, so that's good to know! At the same time, because Donna Burke already changed up the feel of the opening song with how she performed it (at least, in my view), I'm a little worried we might see something similar with the narration.

I absolutely agree that the audio quality itself is improved. I really suspect that's a reason why it was re-recorded in the first place. I can't really speak to whether she's a better singer technically overall these days, since I don't really follow her. I'm mostly just not really a fan of the changes she made. That said, I will say that upon multiple relistens, there are a couple parts of the new version that I actually prefer musically (even if I think I preferred the original tone more), which speak to her growth as a singer.

I'm a bit amused how much of this thread (partially thanks to me, of course) is about the new recording of the song, rather than the remastered game itself, but I guess that speaks volumes about how impactful the original soundtrack was!

Last edited:

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this was already answered, but this game offers 2-4 player couch co-op right?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if any of the rest of the OST will be touched up. What is Kumi Tanioka up to these days anyway?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really speak to whether she's a better singer technically overall these days, since I don't really follow her, but that's believable.
Sorry to veer somewhat off-topic a bit and make this a Donna Burke appreciation thread, but whew. You should give some of her other stuff a try, particularly her performances for the Metal Gear Solid series. She's a fantastic vocalist.

You might have already heard this, but the song also received a new arrangement (without vocals) in The Crystal Bearers to accompany a dance sequence in that game. iTunes attributed it to Kumi Tanioka when I first downloaded it, but I haven't confirmed if she actually did the new (well, now old) arrangement.
Thanks for this, I had no idea this was a thing. I really need to play TCB sometime. The extent of my knowledge for its music is "a Japanese commercial had a Bon Jovi song in it" lmao.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which requires everyone who wants to play to own a copy of the game, plus a switch? Compare this to regular 'coach co op' like for example Diablo or Divinity where I can just buy the game and play it with my fiancé easily, it seems ridiculous
Yeah I was joking. The original CC required four GBAs and a GameCube for couch co-op. It was equally silly.