• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
50272647293_ab67a3b960_o.png

50272588678_62323302be_o.png

Date: August 27th, 2020
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android
Genre: Action RPG
Developed & Published by Square Enix

Review Thread
"Someone on Twitter has put together a thread of info about Crystal Chronicles Remastered"
50272589698_e710a6a447_o.png

Long ago, a giant meteorite fell on the land, and deadly miasma blanketed the world.

Crystals keep the deadly miasma in check, but the crystals' power is not eternal.

Young adventurers embark on a journey once a year seeking "drops of myrrh" to purify the crystals.

These are the chronicles of brave young adventurers who journey to protect their home.

These are the CRYSTAL CHRONICLES.
50273264971_5d31f2e973_o.png

• HD graphics
  • English voiceovers for the first time
  • Updated soundtrack with new recordings and additional tracks
  • New UI improvements and added minimap
  • High-difficulty dungeons to explore after completing the main story
50273429552_6aca224729_o.png

• Crossplay supported
  • Lite version available (trial version allowing for play of the first 3 dungeons, or linking up with someone who purchased the full game for 13 playable dungeons)
50272707478_940fd222d0_o.png

So to summarize:

- They added MTX to a 16 year old game
- They removed Local Multiplayer
- You can't do multiplayer while in the home village anymore so there's no way to have access to four families (Merchant, Blacksmith, Tailor, Alchemist) benefits at once
- You can't trade items
- The game has it's own proprietary online friend code system. So if you want to play with friends you will have add your friends from scratch, even if you have them added on the console already.
- When completing a dungeon only the host of the session benefits from the completion and all other players must complete the dungeon on their own or in their own session
- You can only match with random people or friends who are in the same in-game area.
- Multiplayer is region locked
- Each time you complete a dungeon the party is forcefully disbanded and must be reformed each time you do another dungeon
- The "new" dungeons Square-Enix was touting are straight up reskins of old dungeons with harder enemies/AI

Is that the whole list? Anyone feel free to let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I put about as much effort into this OT as Square Enix did this port, so feel free to let me know if I missed anything, or if you'd like something added to the OP.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Any idea when this unlocks for NA? I'm kind of eh about it because of how terrible multiplayer is but I'm okay treating it as a mostly solo experience. I have a fond enough feeling about the game world and vibe that I want a modernish version of it anyway I guess.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
best final fantasy ost boutta make a comeback

anyways, port seems meh. gonna buy it anyway. excited to see if it holds up as well as i remember it

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Well even if the decisions seem questionable I'm still kind of excited to play it again

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Wait
You can't do multiplayer while in the home village anymore so there's no way to have access to four families (Merchant, Blacksmith, Tailor, Alchemist) benefits at once

Isnt this monumental.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
I put about as much effort into this OT as Square Enix did this port, so feel free to let me know if I missed anything, or if you'd like something added to the OP.
You put more effort tbh. Im still playing it but the screw ups are too much. On the positive I got the soundtrack preordered

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Man, you guys are just a bunch of debbie downers.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to play again, but also extremely disappointed at how this port turned out.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good OP Aurc.

I downloaded the lite version from the UK eShop while I wait for the game to unlock in the US. I still don't really care for the new version of the opening theme song lol. Other than that, so far... yup, it's Crystal Chronicles. (Which is all I was hoping for)

Antydotes

One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2017
My brother had the original when I was younger, but I never played it. Is this one serviceable in single player at all? Am I better off tracking down the original/accessories to play with my wife?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Despite the issues with the game (and holy shit I legit didn't know it came out tomorrow), this is a good OT.

I also feel honored having a thread of mine in an OT.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I've only played 2 Final Fantasy games in my life, and this is one of them, so I was looking forward to the port
This is pain

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Do we know the performance of the PS4/NS versions?

I bought the GC version a few years ago but never played it, might pick it up if I like the demo because most of the fuck ups seem to be with multiplayer and I don't have friends

edit: oh, wait, moon comes out tomorrow. if any game is getting bought tomorrow, it's gonna be that

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Any idea when this unlocks for NA? I'm kind of eh about it because of how terrible multiplayer is but I'm okay treating it as a mostly solo experience. I have a fond enough feeling about the game world and vibe that I want a modernish version of it anyway I guess.
Shouldn't it unlock in less than 10 minutes? That'd be midnight on the East Coast of the US.
Despite the issues with the game (and holy shit I legit didn't know it came out tomorrow), this is a good OT.

I also feel honored having a thread of mine in an OT.
Thank you for that thread mate, the people need to know about this stuff. I was gonna buy this game to play with my friend, but in light of all the issues, I'm passing on it for the time being.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Well... glad I still have my GC copy. Sad this came out with so many limitations.

To stay on the positive side, the soundtrack still fucking slaps.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going in now. Sucks that the online is the way it is, hope it can get patched.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
- The "new" dungeons Square-Enix was touting are straight up reskins of old dungeons with harder enemies/AI

The rest of the complaints, I get. This one tho? Balderdash. What did y'all actually expect? When they showed the new post-game content, you could see that it was reusing assets. They're not gonna make new dungeons from the ground up for a conversion of a 17 year old game.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
13 Dungeons doesn't seem like a lot. What is the meat of the game? Grinding for better loot?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Easily my biggest disappointment on Switch so far. Just... how do you fumble THIS bad. Was really excited to return to this world.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Good job on the OT.

I would like to live in an alternative reality where the Screw-Ups section didn't exist and this would be a great game but as it stands now they butchered up the game way too much just to have parity and crossplay with the Android version that nobody asked for.

If they could just patch out these issues I feel the game would at least be serviceable:

- You can't do multiplayer while in the home village anymore so there's no way to have access to four families (Merchant, Blacksmith, Tailor, Alchemist) benefits at once
- You can't trade items
- When completing a dungeon only the host of the session benefits from the completion and all other players must complete the dungeon on their own or in their own session
- You can only match with random people or friends who are in the same in-game area.

If these issues are fixed I'm willing to put up with the other clunkiness of the game but for now I'll skip the game.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Does anyone know if the save file in the Lite version of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition can be transferred over to the full game?

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
So to get around the region lock thing so I can actually play with friends, would I with a EU download of the game just have to use a US Switch account to get on the US matchmaking, or would I actually have to separately have to download the game from the US eshop because the actual downloads are region locked?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the save file in the Lite version of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition can be transferred over to the full game?
It can be.

So to get around the region lock thing so I can actually play with friends, would I with a EU download of the game just have to use a US Switch account to get on the US matchmaking, or would I actually have to separately have to download the game from the US eshop because the actual downloads are region locked?
Multiplayer is tied to the region of the eShop account you downloaded / bought the game from.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Good job on the OT.

I would like to live in an alternative reality where the Screw-Ups section didn't exist and this would be a great game but as it stands now they butchered up the game way too much just to have parity and crossplay with the Android version that nobody asked for.

If they could just patch out these issues I feel the game would at least be serviceable:

- You can't trade items

If these issues are fixed I'm willing to put up with the other clunkiness of the game but for now I'll skip the game.
All of this.

From what I've been reading from people who refunded their game or are choosing not to buy this now, a lot of people would come back if Square addressed these issues. Are Square-Enix typically receptive to feedback about game issues or missing features?

Or is this another Clubhouse Games situation where I should just cut my losses...

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded free version on ios just to try, had the game on gamecube back then.

update. No controller support on ios, what a waste of time.

Last edited:

PKMNTrainer

Oct 25, 2017
I have two characters in my Caravan, each with different backgrounds. I'm hoping my city will not be a ghost town as I add characters of differing professions.

Music and graphic upgrade are very nice. Voice acting is surprisingly solid given...other aspects of this port.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
FWIW. You can manufacture a way to upgrade the various town systems to have access to the upgraded Blacksmith, Tailor, Merchant, etc. You just have to swap characters at the start of each year, and have them all talk to their respective families.

It's incredibly silly but yea, you can basically force the issue that way.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Still looking forward to playing this. Any one know how to crossplay with friends? Is there an ingame friend code?

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer is tied to the region of the eShop account you downloaded / bought the game from.
Wait, your answer confuses me. So is it tied to the ehop region download or the account region you use on the game? Accounts and games can be used interchangeably on Switch so the distinction is important.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, your answer confuses me. So is it tied to the ehop region download or the account region you use on the game? Accounts and games can be used interchangeably on Switch so the distinction is important.
Not the region of the account you're currently playing the game on. It goes by the region of the account you bought it from. So for example, if you bought the game from the Japanese eShop and you play it on a US account, you'll still only be able to play with people who bought the game from the Japanese eShop. (Or Japanese PlayStation Store, etc.)

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I've only ever played the game solo and I'm only ever going to play the game solo so it's just the same I already know I like with some extra stuff to do if I feel like it so in that regard it's pretty much the same 8/10 it's always been to me. Sucks for those wanting the multiplayer stuff to work better though.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Not the region of the account you're currently playing the game on. It goes by the region of the account you bought it from. So for example, if you bought the game from the Japanese eShop and you play it on a US account, you'll still only be able to play with people who bought the game from the Japanese eShop. (Or Japanese PlayStation Store, etc.)
Ah ok, thanks.