• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Oooooo

this game always held a special place in my heart as the first game I really got hyped for as a child, to the point I had dreams about the world/art, but then my parents wouldn't let megrab it because of the T rating...

I never did get to try it and nows the chance to dive in with some buds!

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this. The Lite version sounds great to get someone into the game.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I actually always wanted to play this title back then, but never had the ability to purchase a GameCube. So this makes me happy. I didn't even know they were re-releasing this title.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how good Kazenone was. been so long since i heard the song. I have the CC soundtrack at home somewhere.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The game is getting released in like 2 months and we still don't have any way to preorder let alone know how much they want to retail this.

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh they kept the chalice carrying in huh, while it's ok with 4 players, it's terrible with 2 players. Shout out to all the younger siblings. ;(

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Ugh they kept the chalice carrying in huh, while it's ok with 4 players, it's terrible with 2 players. Shout out to all the younger siblings. ;(
The upside is that unless you do the last dungeon or the additional content, you can include a rando playing the lite version to round up your team.
Heck it seems like you can use an ability or something to have a full caravan that looks like a preset.
For the loners who want the original experience you can still keep the mog to tell you he's tired every 5 goddamn seconds.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Lite edition option sounds awesome, much easier to get others playing with you.

Oct 28, 2017
The upside is that unless you do the last dungeon or the additional content, you can include a rando playing the lite version to round up your team.
Heck it seems like you can use an ability or something to have a full caravan that looks like a preset.
For the loners who want the original experience you can still keep the mog to tell you he's tired every 5 goddamn seconds.
Have the lite version pleb carry the chalice? A bit evil, yet brilliant.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Have the lite version pleb carry the chalice? A bit evil, yet brilliant.
As I've read multiple times here and in the old place, the chalice is the leader.
You don't get to fight (unless you drop the chalice) but you choose where everyone goes.
In the original the camera was even tied to the chalice so if the chalice bearer wanted to go right, he could drag you there.
If the camera of the player is no longer tied to the chalice for the non chalice people, it means that you need a cure ring and you can basically explore everything on your own.
Harder, yes but not impossible.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You sure that's an "Asia" release (which are typically always in English) and not the Japanese release? Because I can only find a Japanese release on Play Asia.
You're right, my bad. I got it mixed up. I have a Japanese copy pre-ordered, not sure why I thought it was an Asia release. I don't know if it'll have an English setting then.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Man, pretty excited for this. The demo setup is pretty generous. But man, those menus haha. The graphic design on those make me cringe now.

Oct 28, 2017
As I've read multiple times here and in the old place, the chalice is the leader.
You don't get to fight (unless you drop the chalice) but you choose where everyone goes.
In the original the camera was even tied to the chalice so if the chalice bearer wanted to go right, he could drag you there.
If the camera of the player is no longer tied to the chalice for the non chalice people, it means that you need a cure ring and you can basically explore everything on your own.
Harder, yes but not impossible.
Yeah it's true that the chalice bearer dictates the camera. I just recall as the younger sibling hating my time carrying that thing. As I recall you also needed to move chalice during (some?) battles as well. Would have been cool if there was a way to have the mog along in the 2 player mode as well. I never played the single player mode so I'm not sure how that dynamic is.

I don't think I'll bite unless I can get a 3 man party going.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah it's true that the chalice bearer dictates the camera. I just recall as the younger sibling hating my time carrying that thing. As I recall you also needed to move chalice during (some?) battles as well. Would have been cool if there was a way to have the mog along in the 2 player mode as well. I never played the single player mode so I'm not sure how that dynamic is.

I don't think I'll bite unless I can get a 3 man party going.
Good thing is you can try and mooch off someone having the game to play most of the content (hopefully the account keep track of the character progression because playing starter characters is gonna get old real fast).
In single player, Mog is either slow or REALLY slow when tired.
He will follow your lead, it's better than having to lug the chalice around but you're still gonna do this from time to time because he'll get tired.
Also trim his fur if you go in a hot/warm place or he'll tire even quicker.
No I have no idea why they put that in the game.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
So is 13 dungeons all of them? Or are there still some you can't do? I would be on board with this as a replacement for local co-op if it was all of them... but if it's blocking some, seems less valuable.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I have two sons with Switches and an Ipad, so (assuming the demo on each console is the same as the lite version on Ipad) I'll have a nice crew to play with!

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Crystal Chronicles is one of my favorite games of all time and I can't wait! Hopefully the switch version will be 1080 60 but we shall see.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So is 13 dungeons all of them? Or are there still some you can't do? I would be on board with this as a replacement for local co-op if it was all of them... but if it's blocking some, seems less valuable.
them being so explicit about 13 makes me thing it's not the whole game but I'm also to look it up (which is probably very easy lol)

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The last dungeon is the only one off limit from the original game.

them being so explicit about 13 makes me thing it's not the whole game but I'm also to look it up (which is probably very easy lol)
In the trailer, they give the icons of the levels available.
The 13 shown are literally ALL the dungeons but the last one.
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles locations

The stories of the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series all take place in the same, unnamed, world. Like the world of Ivalice, each game takes place in the same world during different periods. There are four main tribes in this world: Clavats, Selkies, Lilties, and Yukes. The Crystal...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The lack of local co-op is a huge bummer. My household was REALLY looking forward to that.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
AKKqrgC.jpg

The fuck were they thinking lol

Honestly amazing how much technical foibles like this happen and at no point are people like "What are we even doing?"

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The last dungeon is the only one off limit from the original game.

In the trailer, they give the icons of the levels available.
The 13 shown are literally ALL the dungeons but the last one.
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles locations

The stories of the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series all take place in the same, unnamed, world. Like the world of Ivalice, each game takes place in the same world during different periods. There are four main tribes in this world: Clavats, Selkies, Lilties, and Yukes. The Crystal...
Hmm, well that's a bit annoying. I imagine most of my friends that would play wouldn't actually complete it so it might not be a dealbreaker. We're lucky in my household in that we have 2 PS4's so we can buy it digitally and play it locally that way. Still, I'm not really happy with how they're handling the multiplayer. That was its defining feature and they've tarnished it.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly amazing how much technical foibles like this happen and at no point are people like "What are we even doing?"

To be fair, they were thinking a lot more this, and a lot less this. I don't think Nintendo ever actually advertised using the GBA Player for this purpose, lol.

The GBA-GCN linking thing for FSA and FF:CC make a bit more sense when you remember that a lot of people owned GBAs at the time, and the link cable wasn't all that expensive. You were supposed to share the cost between yourself and your friends, with one person buying the game, and the other three bringing their GBAs and their own cables. Basically the same idea as someone bringing their own controller to your house to play.

FF:CC and FSA probably could have been reworked to work without the second screen, but they would be lesser games for it, imo.

It probably would have worked better on the Wii, given the lack of wires needed.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I mean that's only possible because you could turn you GC into a literal Gameboy Advance.
Otherwise the game was fully thought off as a gameboy advance linking game.
It's the only reason the game even exists.
using 4 fullon Tvs for this seems like unecessary stupidity than anything.
It's more 2nd screen like DS/3DS/WiiU than trying to make a lan party.
Hmm, well that's a bit annoying. I imagine most of my friends that would play wouldn't actually complete it so it might not be a dealbreaker. We're lucky in my household in that we have 2 PS4's so we can buy it digitally and play it locally that way. Still, I'm not really happy with how they're handling the multiplayer. That was its defining feature and they've tarnished it.
The game was never going to be full multiplayer on the same system.
It wasn't thought that way.
I'd say it's the best we could get out of the situation while keeping true to the original design.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This is probably my most anticipated game of the summer. Can't wait to play it. Hopefully my friends will get into it, or there's at least a matchmaking system. It would be great to see post-launch content as well.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean that's only possible because you could turn you GC into a literal Gameboy Advance.
Otherwise the game was fully thought off as a gameboy advance linking game.
It's the only reason the game even exists.
using 4 fullon Tvs for this seems like unecessary stupidity than anything.
It's more 2nd screen like DS/3DS/WiiU than trying to make a lan party.

The game was never going to be full multiplayer on the same system.
It wasn't thought that way.
I'd say it's the best we could get out of the situation while keeping true to the original design.
To be fair, they were thinking a lot more this, and a lot less this. I don't think Nintendo ever actually advertised using the GBA Player for this purpose, lol.

The GBA-GCN linking thing for FSA and FF:CC make a bit more sense when you remember that a lot of people owned GBAs at the time, and the link cable wasn't all that expensive. You were supposed to share the cost between yourself and your friends, with one person buying the game, and the other three bringing their GBAs and their own cables. Basically the same idea as someone bringing their own controller to your house to play.

FF:CC and FSA probably could have been reworked to work without the second screen, but they would be lesser games for it, imo.

It probably would have worked better on the Wii, given the lack of wires needed.

The original idea still wasn't much better, it reaaallly hinged a lot on your average player having a whole bunch of shit (and hoping all yours buds have a GBA is kind of a tall order as opposed to 1 console with a bunch of controllers), and worse, peripherals good only for one or two games. :/
It was an awful idea.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The original idea still wasn't much better, it reaaallly hinged a lot on your average player having a whole bunch of shit (and hoping all yours buds have a GBA is kind of a tall order as opposed to 1 console with a bunch of controllers), and worse, peripherals good only for one or two games. :/
It was an awful idea.
I mean it was more likely at the time that your group of friend had a bunch of GBA than 1 of them had 1 GC.
There's nearly 4 times as many GBA than GC out there after all.
The cables were easy to find and fairly cheap as well (not even half the price of a gc controller).
Considering the target demo as well, if you were into FF and had no GBA you were even less likely to have a GC (instead of you know a ps1 or ps2).
The game would also have been vastly different thematically if it wasn't centered around that mechanic as the sequels show.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I'm excited for this, but I'm not feeling the new version of the opening as much as the old one. And while Donna Burke is back for this trailer, do we know if she's doing the stage intros again? They were by someone else in previous videos.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it was more likely at the time that your group of friend had a bunch of GBA than 1 of them had 1 GC.
There's nearly 4 times as many GBA than GC out there after all.
The cables were easy to find and fairly cheap as well (not even half the price of a gc controller).
Considering the target demo as well, if you were into FF and had no GBA you were even less likely to have a GC (instead of you know a ps1 or ps2).
The game would also have been vastly different thematically if it wasn't centered around that mechanic as the sequels show.
I know I got several of those cords in the $10-$15 range. It was not prohibitively expensive, even to someone who didn't have my own money at the time.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Man that lite version is very charitable, but it may also prove to be essential to the success of people being able to play this with a full party.

I only ever played the game 2-player and I still enjoyed it so much, so I can't wait to see what it's like without having to be a constant bucket bitch.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
So do you need four people to play this game? Can I party up with only another friend or two and found out the members with randoms from online?

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
They should have removed the bucket carry, I remember buying it for gamecube and sold it few weeks after because of that annoying thing!. If I remember correctly, was it similar to diablo or a dungeon crawler?