• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Replaying FF9, and Tetra Master still is my least favorite mini-game / card game ever. It's just not fun and there is little reason to touch it. They should've stuck with Triple Triad IMO.
At the very least, you really DON'T need to touch it, like you said! There is a card tournament, but it's not hard to beat with basic cards or anything you would pick up naturally anyway.

Triple Triad was fun, but it was also intrinsically linked to many gameplay mechanics, so it was both satisfying to play, and benefited you in the long run.

Tetra Master has only one small section where it benefits you at all, and the rest of the time is purely optional. And doing well in Tetra Master is way more complicated due to the way it's math works, to the point where it's much harder to get invested in it.

I wish Tetra Master was a bit easier to "get," it would be a ton of fun if it was. It's more of a collectibles game then anything as it is, though it can be fun if you do your best to understand the mechanics and get some good cards.

Triple Triad also kinda cheats, because success in normal play can be intrinsically linked to using over powered cards early like Ifrit and Diablos, so you can win when you aren't really supposed to. Tetra Master is on a curve the whole time, so you don't really get that taste of power Until you get far enough to earn it.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I have no joke recorded over 30 hours of grindtime in FFIX for the Bloodlust trophy (Kill 10 000 enemies), Im starting to A. Lose Hope and B. Think Im doing something wrong.

I've not only max leveled all of my characters, they have all reached 999999999 EXP too lol. Have max almost every item too and Im currently on 7 280 000 Gil (Started with 500 000 roughly)

This trophy is killing me lol. I can't wait to get it, do the Excalibur II trophy and just... Be done with this game lol.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I have no joke recorded over 30 hours of grindtime in FFIX for the Bloodlust trophy (Kill 10 000 enemies), Im starting to A. Lose Hope and B. Think Im doing something wrong.

I've not only max leveled all of my characters, they have all reached 999999999 EXP too lol. Have max almost every item too and Im currently on 7 280 000 Gil (Started with 500 000 roughly)

This trophy is killing me lol. I can't wait to get it, do the Excalibur II trophy and just... Be done with this game lol.
Jesus, I hope at least you are nearly there, that's just self-cruelty at this point. I can't possibly imagine a slower game to try to fight a huge amount of enemies in. Are there any particualr encounters you are hunting that regularly have like three or more enemies, or are you sorta winging it at the end of the game?

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Jesus, I hope at least you are nearly there, that's just self-cruelty at this point. I can't possibly imagine a slower game to try to fight a huge amount of enemies in. Are there any particualr encounters you are hunting that regularly have like three or more enemies, or are you sorta winging it at the end of the game?
You have to kill 10 000 enemies of any kind in FFIX. I began grinding in Gizmaluke's Grotto because it has the highest spawnrate (4-5 spawns pretty much everytime) but I got so tired of it after around 10 hours, + I realised you could rubberband the controller and just press X and watch a movie - however that trick didn't work inside small areas, I've been grinding on the regular fields outside of Chocobo Forest / Qu's Marsh / Gizmaluke's Grotto, where you at most face 3 enemies, but often only 1 enemy. I realise it takes longer because of this, but honestly its soooooo slooow and I can't be bothered to just sit and kill enemies in Gizmaluke's Grotto for another second lol...

Also, I realised after like 15-20 hours that you could turn off battle animations, which reduce time. I wish I had seen that option earlier.

Its a painful grind, I really really love this game but the trophies (Even with speedhack) is in an entirely different ballpark than FFVII was... :(

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Okay, you're definitely doing something wrong, I got that trophy without getting to the exp cap somehow. I grinded in Gizamaluke's and lost my will to live in the process.

It's not worth it, get out while you can
Yeah but Im out on the fields, I get like 4000 XP for some enemies, I think thats why. In Grotto you only get like 23 XP.

I was worried I had turbed on the modifiers that disables trophies but I can confirm I haven't done so.

I began this grind with the ingame clock on 28 hours, Im currently on 71 Hours on the ingame clock with no trophy yet... (Keep in mind this is the only thing I've been doing)
I returned to Grotto again for a like 2 hours. Hopefully I'll get it tommorow because I can't endure another day of this.

and I wish I could get out, but I really want toget this trophy (and then theExcalibur II one) they're the only things standing between me and my backlog :(

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I began this grind with the ingame clock on 28 hours, Im currently on 71 Hours on the ingame clock with no trophy yet... (Keep in mind this is the only thing I've been doing)
Still sounds like you should have it by now. :/

I can't remember exactly how many hours it took, but I did lose hope plenty of times and wondered if the game had bugged on me somehow. Maybe you should try Gizamaluke's entrance for a bit? You must be really close to getting it.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden

I can't remember exactly how many hours it took, but I did lose hope plenty of times and wondered if the game had bugged on me somehow. Maybe you should try Gizamaluke's entrance for a bit? You must be really close to getting it.
Yeah, I'll continue grinding in Gizamaluke's Grotto Entrance. As you said I should be 9000+, will update you tomorrow, if I don't get it tomorrow I might just give up :(

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden

I JUST GOT IT!

from 28 hours to 72 hours and 38 minutes, I got the trophy holy shit I was worried.
9 806 603 Gil, all characters maxed out lol

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
And here I thought finally finishing grinding through XIII'S end game was a slog. I am in awe of your persistence in snagging that achievement.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Holy crap, congrats!! Now you can rest, lol!
Thank you! I'll take a small break from Final Fantasy because of this trophy and afterwards Im returning with my first ever playthrough of Final Fantasy X :D

And here I thought finally finishing grinding through XIII'S end game was a slog. I am in awe of your persistence in snagging that achievement.
Tbh, the grinding should be shorter, most people say you can achieve it in 20 hours +/-, I just couldn't be bothered to actively play it in the Grotto Entrance - I played a lot on the world map which has less spawns (1-3 enemies instead of 3-4) But holy hell Im glad Im done with this

Thanks!!!

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's literally the worst trophy I've ever done.

Thank you! I'll take a small break from Final Fantasy because of this trophy and afterwards Im returning with my first ever playthrough of Final Fantasy X :D
That's a top 5 FF right there, you're in for a treat. :)

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
That's a top 5 FF right there, you're in for a treat. :)
Im so excited! Im done with VII, IX and XV. At first I was sure VII was my favourite, but honestly... I might like IX more or equally. I love both games for pretty different reasons. Earlier in this thread I was kind of down on IX, but afterwards... I love it, a lot.
Can't wait to play FFX, I love the "To Zanarkand" song, and I actually played it up until the part where you participate in a Blitzball tournament back in 2014. Don't know anything about the story and don't really remember a lot of the game. Im super excited to play it!!!! :D

Oct 25, 2017
I maxed all my characters on dragons outside of Daguerreo before moving to Gizamaluke.
Still took another 23 or so hours in there to pop it.
Finished an audio book and got half way through a second during that grind.
One of the worst trophies in the series.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
What would be the percentage chance you guys think we see a glimpse or announcement of XVI on Thursday? I'd probabyl say 20%. Even that might be too high though.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm kind of thinking, and even hoping, their main priorities in regards to Final Fantasy right now is to finish FFVII Remake and FFXIV. I can see FFXVI coming out closer to the final part of the former. This is the first time in ages when they don't have a ton of games announced ages ago in the pipeline competing for time and resources.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like for the first time in a long time they don't have a big brand new title coming out. Part 2 sure, but i don't think they're ready to show that. And just like Kagari said in the PS5 Event Thread. I think they've been there the past 2 PS console reveals iirc. FF13 in 2006 and FF15 in 2013.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hashimoto was retweeting the state of play where FF7R showed up last year, and they announced an announcement for FFXV. I don't think they'd just drop it out of nowhere like that, they can't help themselves.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I feel like for the first time in a long time they don't have a big brand new title coming out. Part 2 sure, but i don't think they're ready to show that. And just like Kagari said in the PS5 Event Thread. I think they've been there the past 2 PS console reveals iirc. FF13 in 2006 and FF15 in 2013.

Both 13 and 15 were mired in development hell for so long though. 13 because 12 was also in development hell which bumped it out of releasing in the PS2 era as originally planned and then the additioanl development hell that incurred due to being ill-prepared for HD development on the PS3 (as well as deciding to go multi-platform for the first time with the franchise since the late 80's/early 90's). 15 was... well 15.

To be honest, even if there isn't a 16 announcement on Thursday it's still nice to finally have Fabula Nova Crystalis in the rear-view mirror. And I say that as someone who genuinely enjoyed both 13 and 15. It feels like a giant albatross has been lifted off the franchise.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Hashimoto was retweeting the state of play where FF7R showed up last year, and they announced an announcement for FFXV. I don't think they'd just drop it out of nowhere like that, they can't help themselves.
I think the technical director for SE retweeted the event when it had its original air date but I get your point.

Both 13 and 15 were mired in development hell for so long though. 13 because 12 was also in development hell which bumped it out of releasing in the PS2 era as originally planned and then the additioanl development hell that incurred due to being ill-prepared for HD development on the PS3 (as well as deciding to go multi-platform for the first time with the franchise since the late 80's/early 90's). 15 was... well 15.

To be honest, even if there isn't a 16 announcement on Thursday it's still nice to finally have Fabula Nova Crystalis in the rear-view mirror. And I say that as someone who genuinely enjoyed both 13 and 15. It feels like a giant albatross has been lifted off the franchise.

A good point, it's nice that FNC is done with, I agree lol.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought for sure that Athia would be a Monster Hunter/Destiny-like multiplayer GaaS game, so awesome to see it seems to be a story driven game. Might end up having multiplayer in it but you'd think if it were a gaas game they wouldn't have focused on the narrative like that. It's my most anticipated game from this event.

Unfortunately i will have to point out that there was no reason to announce it today, they don't even have a name, let alone a release window.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel SE wanted some presence since so many eyes were on the presentation. If XVI were ready I think they 100% would have showed it. But guess we're still a ways off!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Athia is also a ways off but it didn't stop them lol

I think it's likely that the Luminous team was just more excited to show their game, so it's the game SE brought.

Jan 11, 2018
A former Game Informer journalist said that Project Athia was essentially what sources had described to him and other people in the business as FFXVI, so they got everything right except the title. Not sure if the mix-up was due to confusion or assumption, or purposefully misleading.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Could be a situation akin to how Bravely Default effectively spun out of 4 Heroes of Light. Maybe this started development as XVI and they spun it out into its own thing?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Luminous studio was created specifically to make new IP, We knew they were making a new IP after XV before XV even shipped. It was never XVI at any point.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The game was supposed to be shown during the conference, there was no confusion with Athia. Things changed. We might see it soon though.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Final Fantasy IV for the first time tonight. (PSP version)

It was a fun ride, although nothing super memorable. The story was ok, even if there was one too many fake deaths from characters. I did like having a large rotation of characters throughout which kept the game from getting stale. My one big complaint was having to go through walls in dungeons in order to proceed, especially late in the game. Like I said it was fun, but I don't think it will end up in my top 5 favorite Final Fantasy games. I will probably try the prologue or After Years at some point but it isn't a priority right now.

Now I only have V, VI, VIII, IX, and X to go. I think I will try VIII again. Its been five years since I last played it. I promise that will be a LTTP to read if I finish the game this time.

Jan 11, 2018
I love XIII-2. It fixes most of the issues I had with the first game and is just lots of fun to play. Noel, Serah and Caius are all good characters. Lightning also looks awesome in it.

X-2 on the other hand is hard not to have mixed feelings about. Fun combat, but getting 100% is a slog even with a guide. And the portrayal of Yuna is terrible. On top of that you also have X-2.5 and -Will- making you wish the game never had any sequels. They're like Disney direct-to-video sequel tier.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I might even put XIII-2 above XV, and I liked XV.

Serah and company were just so much fun to play as.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Jesus, I can't believe how much more funny seeing Auron homerun smack a Cactuar is then seeing it happen with a Sand Worm!

That little guy just got sent on Vacation, look at him go!

Also, I'm under the FIRM belief that almost every final fantasy is inherently a good game, and that you can find things to enjoy in every title. I'd say every Mainline one is good, but can be tricky to enjoy if you aren't feeling the gameplay or storytelling.

Not every game is made for everyone, and they all come with flaws that are stronger for some, but we can all enjoy different games for different reasons, as long as we are respectful about it, and not being rude when we joke about the ones we don't like very much.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Anyone buying this? I just ordered it on Amazon. I hope they are good.

EewiYfXXYAA70Pb