• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ridley

Oct 28, 2017
Utrecht
A lotta love for the Final Fantasy VIII OST here. In my opinion, the best part of the game. Overal a great game, but the story and the characters are not my favorites. I'm sorry guys.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
I just wish you could skip the GF summoning scenes. I don't think you can with the Steam port either.

Then you couldn't Boost!! and boosting was amazing. :3 (if you don't know what that is, have the summon learn "boost" in its GF abilities, then hold "select" and smash the square button (only when the X isn't there) and you increase the summons power.)

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I think I did boosting for the first time in my last playthrough. I played IX before VIII so I assumed it was similar to IX in that you just got a power increase. I've played VIII a bunch of times so I might have done it before, but this year it just seemed new to me.

forpush

Oct 25, 2017
I remember always boosting when i would play through VIII but I when I realised how to break the game I don't think I ever summoned after that except for novelty. VIII remains my favourite FF in spite of its weaknesses, I really should get back to my most recent playthrough but it sort of stalled because I didn't want to get to the end only to have Square announce the PS4 version,

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I remember always boosting when i would play through VIII but I when I realised how to break the game I don't think I ever summoned after that except for novelty.
Yeah, I think one of the things I liked about VIII is that I've played and replayed it so many different ways. Often, when I replay a game, I wind up just refining or improving upon how I played before. With VIII, I played it totally differently after that first time (where I used summons liberally).

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I've always wanted to like VIII more than I do, but sadly it ranks pretty low on my personal list. I do really like Squall, though, and he's one of my favorite FF protagonists. I played through the game within the past year and was having no problem, but I got stuck on Ultimecia... I still want to beat it (never have), but it's hard to rally myself to go all the way back out of the last dungeon and mess around with my junctions at this point. I thought I was doing a good job with them, but I guess not?

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
Then you couldn't Boost!! and boosting was amazing. :3 (if you don't know what that is, have the summon learn "boost" in its GF abilities, then hold "select" and smash the square button (only when the X isn't there) and you increase the summons power.)

Looks like you really do learn something new everyday. :) Didn't know this at all, thank you.

I've always wanted to like VIII more than I do, but sadly it ranks pretty low on my personal list. I do really like Squall, though, and he's one of my favorite FF protagonists. I played through the game within the past year and was having no problem, but I got stuck on Ultimecia... I still want to beat it (never have), but it's hard to rally myself to go all the way back out of the last dungeon and mess around with my junctions at this point. I thought I was doing a good job with them, but I guess not?

Yeah, the final boss is indeed hard. The last dungeon in general I didn't like, really. >___> It feels like such a chore to do with the puzzles and getting back your abilities.

What is your favorite FF, by the way?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda cheated at the Ultimecia fight when I first beat the game by using Selphie's overpowered limit break thing.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I hadn't done a no-level up playthrough for Final Fantasy VIII. I can't play it any other way anymore. If enemies didn't scale though and leveling system was more traditional, then perhaps.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That last dungeon in VIII is aggravating. I always use a no encounters accessory in there so I can solve the puzzles in peace. I don't usually use no encounters in the other games, but since battles in VIII are pretty much worthless, detrimental even, there's no point in fighting.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checking in for the new community thread \o/
I remember the old one moved pretty slow. v_v

Wazzy
Happy to see you made it over too :D It ain't a proper FF community without the resident FF8 stan.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
FFXI's 15th anniversary is getting celebrated over several FF-related games in the 11th month of the year:
http://www.finalfantasy.jp/collabo/201711_ff11/
Apparently XIV is also repeating its XI event from 2015, The Maiden's Rhapsody - I wonder if this time they'll let iroha return to her own world at the end...

In XI itself it'll have events related to Pictlogica FF (http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15886/detail.html), and it'll repeated the crossover event with XIV and Dragon Quest X (http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15882/detail.html).

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

Squall is a good boy and never did anything wrong

I found the junctions really clutch for the endgame since the quicker you can take Ultimecia down the easier it is imo. If it starts to drag on it can be hard to come back from her worst attacks. Squall has really good hit accuracy and strength, you can make him even more useful by junctioning a powerful magic like Tornado or Ultima to his strength stat, and casting Aura on him so his limit break is available even at full health (feels like I'm cheesing the system but sometimes you just gotta.) Casting Meltdown on the enemy can do extra damage, though I can't remember if that works on Ultimecia rn. Good luck if you decide to give it another shot! The ending is worth it to me, but you might feel differently if you weren't already having a good time with the game.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
The FF series has had such good protagonists ever since IV. Cecil's transition from Dark Knight to Paladin was life changing, Bartz is just a lovable guy with his good pal Boko, Terra and Celes are both wonderful characters with great development, Cloud's struggles were all too real and he might be the most interesting character in a game filled with interesting characters, Squall has amazing development over the game, some of the best in the series, Zidane is so fun to tag along with and I am so glad we got a thief MC, Tidus and Yuna are deeply compelling and memorable, Balthier is the leading man of the entire universe, Lightning has a super cool design and combat style and she is actually a pretty interesting character, Noctis is the best.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Yeah, the final boss is indeed hard. The last dungeon in general I didn't like, really. >___> It feels like such a chore to do with the puzzles and getting back your abilities.

What is your favorite FF, by the way?

This is the most difficulty I've had with any FF final boss. So tough... I feel like the game expects me to have broken it, because I really haven't had problems before now.

My favorite is FFX! When I finished it, I saw a lot of people who loved X also loved VIII (maybe because of the romance?), so I went in thinking I would too and yeah :( Not so much. It's still a fun game, though, and I do like it.

I found the junctions really clutch for the endgame since the quicker you can take Ultimecia down the easier it is imo. If it starts to drag on it can be hard to come back from her worst attacks. Squall has really good hit accuracy and strength, you can make him even more useful by junctioning a powerful magic like Tornado or Ultima to his strength stat, and casting Aura on him so his limit break is available even at full health (feels like I'm cheesing the system but sometimes you just gotta.) Casting Meltdown on the enemy can do extra damage, though I can't remember if that works on Ultimecia rn. Good luck if you decide to give it another shot! The ending is worth it to me, but you might feel differently if you weren't already having a good time with the game.

It's been a while since I gave it a shot, but I do remember trying to go as fast as I could. I have a bunch of good magic, so I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I want to say I don't have Meltdown...? I honestly can't remember. But yeah, I'm definitely not giving up! I'll probably try her a few more times before I give up and backtrack, so maybe I'll take her down before I have to mess with anything.

I actually saw the ending years ago on some video sharing site or something. (This was before YouTube haha) But I still want to see it for myself!

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The more I think about it, the more positive I am that Ultimecia's Castle is the best final dungeon in the series. From losing your abilities and having to scramble around to reclaim them, all the different puzzles, actually making use of your scrub B-team, the incredible design and not to mention one of my favorite tracks in gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I don't see how y'all found Ultimecia so hard when VIII got them Triple spells, Invincibility moves and the ability to use Limit Breaks at any time. I think on my last I wrecked her with Squall's Lionheart and Rinoa's Wishing Star. III 's is a pain because of the journey there

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
DNlWINnUIAESFXq.jpg

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/352697-i-cant-beleive-i-asked-him-about-becoming-a-robot

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how y'all found Ultimecia so hard when VIII got them Triple spells, Invincibility moves and the ability to use Limit Breaks at any time. I think on my last I wrecked her with Squall's Lionheart and Rinoa's Wishing Star. III 's is a pain because of the journey there
Ultimecia can be really hard if you mistakenly leveled to 99 (well, at least most people aren't aware the game levels with you and just assume that it makes the game easier) and never really got the hang of how easily Junction can be broken. She's a powerhouse with numerous forms and if you skipped some of the bosses, you'll be locked out of a lot of abilities. Not to mention she'll actually dissolve your spells and the stat bonuses they bring. A lot of the final bosses are push overs but I'd definitely put Ultimecia up there, especially for a casual player.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Checking in for the new community thread \o/
I remember the old one moved pretty slow. v_v

Wazzy
Happy to see you made it over too :D It ain't a proper FF community without the resident FF8 stan.
o9iDkI0.gif

I try to keep the VIII love alive though this thread is doing the good work for me.

Also very glad to see you made it over! This will hopefully be more active than the old one. xD

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Checking in. I don't think I posted much in the old community thread, though.
Anyway, I started to play Dissidia 012 on my Vita again and it's tons of fun. Suddenly I'm interested in the PS4 version. It also put me in the mood for more FF. My mains are Tifa, Tidus and Zidane in Dissidia, and I have FF7-FF10 on my Vita. Hmmm, decisions.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the more positive I am that Ultimecia's Castle is the best final dungeon in the series. From losing your abilities and having to scramble around to reclaim them, all the different puzzles, actually making use of your scrub B-team, the incredible design and not to mention one of my favorite tracks in gaming.

Oh yeah it's definitely the best dungeon in the series full stop. It in itself is like a mini RPG. Everything opens out, you get more powerful. It's great!

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
This is a bit old, but I don't think I've seen anyone discuss it here yet.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...elease-Square-Enix-news-Nintendo-Switch-games
While nothing has been confirmed, Tetsuya Nomura, the director of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, has spoken about the upcoming PS4 title in an interview with Famitsu.

He told the Japanese gaming magazine that "important details" on the FF7 Remake would be announced sometime soon.

Can I take this article seriously?

DualShockers (which I usually trust) has reported something somehow similar while specifying that it wasn't clear which game Nomura was teasing.

https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-7-kingdom-hearts-3-tetsuya-nomura-tease/

PSX hype?

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Final Fantasy used to be better. I feel a lot of the recent games try to be extra flashy to hide the little substance of the world and characters are built upon.

Ff15 was different, and honestly it's hard to not be disappointed after such a long delay, and not to mention it wasn't even supposed to be a mainline entry...

Tactics was the last great FF game, (unless you count the MMOs.) and even FFT borrowed ideas from its older brother, Tactics Ogre.

Too much flash. "Oh, look how pretty these games are."

I dunno. I'll likely keep buying the main entries, but these x2, xiii2&3 games feel like milking of the cow to me.

Even the after years, which was a direct sequel to my favorite FF was a let down because of the rehash and episodic nature of the game.

I hope the next entry sparks my love for this series again, but I haven't had high hopes in forever.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Rinoa may be a queen, but even a queen bows to her Goddess...

4F8B5C793A39A9962D912F6EB88296E9356A0C62
This is true which is why she kneels for the goddess that is Angelo who heeds her calls for help.

Can Lightning explode on command, carry a full grown women on her back, find items while in battle and heal multple people? I think not.
LzIoEww.gif

Sure but Rinoa is Ultimecia and I think she could take Lightning

eI7ETdr.gif

False theory is false but it's okay your point of Rinoa taking on Lightning is correct. <3

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of FF8, they changed veteran rewards in FFXIV so I finally got the Squall outfit. ( ´ ▽ ` )
The amount of subscribed days you had to accumulate for that reward before was ridiculously high.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ah yeah. Lol

Cloud and squall outfits as rewards? Meh. Pass.

They should let you pick the hero costume you want to rock.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Woof. I took some time off from my FFV run and tried to play again last night before bed. I know I'm just before the earth crystal, and I remember that town rising up out of the ground last time I played, but I spent like 30 minutes flying around the map visiting towns getting nowhere lol.

I always lose all sense of direction and momentum when I take any time off between playing the older Final Fantasies.

Embercase

Oct 28, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Some characters have a history of dropkicking deities...

Prishe.png

I've never played any of the old games, except 8 but never finished it, so i don't know who that is.

This is true which is why she kneels for the goddess that is Angelo who heeds her calls for help.

Can Lightning explode on command, carry a full grown women on her back, find items while in battle and heal multple people? I think not.
LzIoEww.gif

Who needs any of that when she can just bitch slap anyone...
S5GkIfp.gif

(Pictured Fang = Rinoa)

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yas Queen!

Didn't like Lightning at all in the first game.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was gonna make some clever joke about how Angelo from FF8 (PS1) looks better than doggo from FF13:LR (PS3). But damn it's not even a contest!

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

How is it possible to mess up so terrifically?!

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is going on in here?

Tifa and Yuna are the best FF women anyway.

Also feel free to join the FF discord! The link is in post #206.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'm pausing FFV in the mean time and will jump into Final Fantasy Mystic Quest!