• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Seing as most of my favorite tracks have already been mentioned, here's my contribution:

Always reminded me of Zell ^^

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

The change @ 1.39

azyaa_s-200x150zis0i.gif

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh I used to sleep to an acoustic cover of Balamb Garden, it was so relaxing :) And aw, I wish FF would bring back the big vocal songs. Eyes On Me and Melodies of Life are both so pretty.
Same!! Those two songs (plus probably the one from FFX) are my favourite FF vocal tracks. I really wish we had more like those!

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Final Fantasy VIII is a weird game, personally. I wanted to like it more than I actually did - but I didn't actively dislike it. I love the artstyle, I love most characters, the soundtrack was really good, it has some of the most memorable moments in the franchise. However, some of the plot developments later in the game felt so ludicrous that the whole endgame felt a little bit sour; and the combat and leveling systems were so easily broken that they killed much of the enjoyment I had in other Final Fantasy titles. I would love to see a proper remake of it, though. I think some of its ideas could be much more well-executed in today's gaming landscape. In some ways, I think a FFVIII remake is a much better idea than a FFVII remake, though I prefer FFVII as a game.

This is correct. If I could choose one game to remake it would definitely be FFVIII. Not because I think the game is that bad (if I were to rank the series it's a safe middle of the pack), but it really is one that really could use a lot of remaking, rebalancing and just flat out changing things around. It's weird, it's not like FFII that I actively dislike, it's more like man, this game is fine but could be so much better.

That said it's always hilarious to get early tornadoes to junction into your stats and break the game, it's the Thundergod Cid of FFVIII.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There's way too much FFVIII love in this thread for my taste, but I'll let it slide. ;)
But seriously, the game never really connected with me. I guess I'll try it one more time when they port it to the PS4 eventually.

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
There's way too much FFVIII love in this thread for my taste, but I'll let it slide. ;)
But seriously, the game never really connected with me. I guess I'll try it one more time when they port it to the PS4 eventually.

IMO the best way to play FFVIII is to pretend Draw doesn't exist. Just turn triple triad cards into magic instead. Magic farming with draw is the worst thing you can do to your sanity

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing FF7 a lot again. Near the end of Disc 2 and I just realized while Cloud's story is sad, Zack's nearly brings me to tears. I never got to play CC but from just the main FF7 story, I just felt so bad for him.
Ugh, I agree wholeheartedly ): You should look into how CC ends (if you haven't already!) if you want to feel even worse about Zack, it made me cry gross tears. The rest of the game is janky control-wise and has a kinda weird plot, though.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I missed the boat on submitting something for the FF 30th anniversary video tribute on time - after seeing this submission based on a video actually posted months ago I figured I might try and finish one of my XI-related projects, even if it meant rushing a final part and use footage from the XI event in XV instead of actual XI footage there. I thought the deadline was the end of the month, not the weekend...

I feel I failed my underrepresented mainline FF favorite... people only ever seem to talk about in a "you had to be there" way while the actual stories and characters that make it an FF game go unaddressed, and I'd like to help change that, but with a game so big it's hard to know even where to start, and it's hard to tell if there's any curiosity out there about the game that could help trigger a decent starting point - although an idea that's come to mind would be to explain how the opening animation is related to the actual game considering that it's tricky to connect to one's actual game experience since:
* it's backstory
* features no characters you'd easily recognize in the game itself (although there's a couple of them)
* its most prominent landscape feature only because visible in-game by the 2nd expansion
* etc...
Yet they still added stuff like the group casting of Meteor about a decade into the game' lifespan.

On a lighter note, at least Pictlogica is doing right by XI as far as FF crossovers go - not only does it cover the most characters from that game that any other crossover like Record Keeper, as seen in this tweet featuring every XI character already in the game:

DNWrQRFUQAAFtw0.jpg

They're also finally adding Aldo (the boy from the opening all grown up) and Zeid (way more central to the core story than Shantotto), along with a new outfit for Shantotto.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
VIII is not one of my favorites but it's OST is great.
Balamb Garden, The Extreme, The oath, The castle, The landing are some of my favorites!

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Yeah, I'm planning myself to make a video for the 30th anniversary. I love Final Fantasy to death and I don't see many other people that look like me making videos like this out here so I'm going to do it.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Something that has been nagging at me lately is how little I've been playing FF for a while. I've been so busy with stuff and whenever there is time, I would usually play an easy to pick up and play game or continue with a different backlog. The last FF games I've tried to play were FFV and World of FF without completing them. With FFV I'm about halfway through and with World of FF probably around 10 hours. Both were good and I would love to continue with them. It's just weird that my attention is somewhere else and I consider myself a big FF fan.

Also it surprises me that I've read some are not enjoying FFV in this thread, in terms of story I think? The writing is really good and the interaction between the party members is pretty impressive for a Super Nintendo game (I'm playing the GBA version).

I was considering buying My Life as a King and My Life as a Darlkord before they close the Wii Shop, and reading that I think I'll do it as soon as possible.

They're definitely worth trying. It's a shame how many won't get to play those games in the future. I hope that they will be released and preserved in some way legally.

You should. They're both quite good. I don't even like city builders and I still played through MLAAK to the end credits. MLAADL is also very charming and fun. I don't play very many tower defense games, so maybe it doesn't stack up to some better ones, but I had a lot of fun. Both games are very short though. I think I beat each of them in one sitting.

Both in one sitting? It took me a while to beat them both. But I rarely play long hours, usually 2 at most. Also, while those game are good, the gameplay remains the same for the most part. It always felt like they would get very repetitive if I tried to play them in one sitting.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too overwhelmed by my gaming backlog to touch any Final Fantasy games that aren't mobile at the moment. I really want to play FFXII Zodiac but it's a long game and I'm already in the midst of Breath Of The Wild.
IMO the best way to play FFVIII is to pretend Draw doesn't exist. Just turn triple triad cards into magic instead. Magic farming with draw is the worst thing you can do to your sanity
Yeah Draw's only purpose should be to grab Guardian Forces from the boss carrying them and to combine with World Map Draw points which can break the game due to particular locations(Heaven and Hell) having the most powerful magic.

Oct 25, 2017
Both in one sitting? It took me a while to beat them both. But I rarely play long hours, usually 2 at most. Also, while those game are good, the gameplay remains the same for the most part. It always felt like they would get very repetitive if I tried to play them in one sitting.

I think MLAAK took me like 5 or 6 hours and MLAADL was maybe 4 or 5 hours. I didn't do any of the extra dungeons in MLAAK. It seemed kind of pointless. Just a stat sheet telling me what my guys did and no story or anything. MLAADL I think I did all the extra missions though. I don't think there were many. This was back in high school, so I had more free time for bigger sittings and no laptop to distract me with GAF/Era lol.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
For all the VIII fans here is a couple new previews for the upcoming Brave Exvius event featuring Squall, Rinoa and Zell plus the Ultimecia event for Dissidia Opera Omnia(still japan only) that allows Seifer, Raijin and Fujin to become playable.

Brave Exvius VIII Event

Dissidia Opera Omnia Ultimecia Event

I hope we can get Dissidia OO Global soon. We're going to be quite far behind now.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying FF8 now because the love in this thread made me miss it.

Promised myself I wont go into TT this time but that resolve only lasted up until the exam.

Currently have the ifrit, minimog, quistis, zell and siefer cards.

It's surprising how much I hate FF14s TT but love 8s.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I have been waiting for FFXV to fix its chapter 9 or whichever is the bad one before playing it. But I have no idea if it was - are we still waiting on that. Also , thanks to google's stupid YouTube snippets , I learned of spoiler:
luna's death. How spoiled am I ? Aeris-tier? Does it happen early / late?

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I have been waiting for FFXV to fix its chapter 9 or whichever is the bad one before playing it. But I have no idea if it was - are we still waiting on that. Also , thanks to google's stupid YouTube snippets , I learned of spoiler:
luna's death. How spoiled am I ? Aeris-tier? Does it happen early / late?

Chapter 13 was the bad one and it was "fixed" the Square Enix way. Let's just say they added some sort of fix by making it skippable. Can't say more without spoiling.

Luna's passing is a pretty big spoiler that doesn't happen early on nor it is late in the game. I wouldn't say you're screwed but it sure is unfortunate.

If that's the only thing you've been spoiled on though, the game sure has a few more surprises/revelations for you.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No offense but if you don't even know which chapter is the supposed 'bad' one you should probably just play the game for yourself and get it over with. None of the patches are realistically going to fix the major issues about the game anyway. But yes they did add patches to Ch. 13.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
I was looking into some key art for Final Fantasy 8 and this showed up:

e9e2d66e7c92228ab5e995ce800ed819.jpg

I remember being back in elementary school being so inspired with the imagery. The feather, the petals, also the relationships between these characters.. so many good things.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be jumping into World of Final Fantasy pretty soon here. Anything I should know ahead of time like easily avoided mistakes?

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know of any good resources/guides for the Final Fantasy TCG?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this! I just ordered it. Curious to see how it all looks when released.
Gonna be jumping into World of Final Fantasy pretty soon here. Anything I should know ahead of time like easily avoided mistakes?
Monsters have requirements to be recruited. Some are basic things like do damage or use specified elemental damage while others can be a little more complicated like casting specific ailments. Just remember that when going into fights.

The monsters also have a license board style upgrade system that unlocks abilities and stat increases through leveling and gaining AP. It's also where you can unlock the next form with it's upgrade though that requires a specific requirement too like reach a certain level or defeat a monster.

Otherwise the game is pretty simple. There's a lot of different setups due to the amount of sizes and power of monsters so just carry around a good amount of coverage for fights that need certain types. If you start to struggle anywhere just post here and I can try and help you out with monster recommendations. Oh and make sure to save items! They're extremely powerful for later game stuff if you keep high end magic items like thundaga, firaga, waterga, etc. Try to avoid using your items unless it's healing ones.

Enjoy!
I'm pretty sure this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know of any good resources/guides for the Final Fantasy TCG?
https://www.fftradingcardgame.com/en/page/how-to-play

I think their official site explains it quite well but I'm not deep into TCG so if there is better I'm not sure.

Last edited:

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Ooooh. I totally forgot how good that game was. I had a blast with it. Definitely listen to Wazzy's post :) It was more or less what I was going to type out. The music is really good too. Have fun! Playing it on Vita or PS4?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking into some key art for Final Fantasy 8 and this showed up:

e9e2d66e7c92228ab5e995ce800ed819.jpg

I remember being back in elementary school being so inspired with the imagery. The feather, the petals, also the relationships between these characters.. so many good things.
VIII has always had the most fascinating imagery.

I've also loved the one with Squall and Laguna looking up to the moon.

8969615b0f197013918a2ebacab3a905--final-fantasy-art-anime-fantasy.jpg

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does this thread have less pages then it did before?

Edit: N/m I know why now.

Last edited:

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
So we can all agree the best vocal track in the series is "Eyes on Me", right?

Yes! I like how it thematically ties into the game as well.

They'll do FFVIIIRE after FFVIIRE

FFVIII was huge back in the day, and it's still got probably the 3rd biggest fanbase after FFVII and FFX

Only thing is it's going to take god knows how long until all the parts of FFVIIRE are out

Yeah, I think VIII will be remade for sure sometime in the future. To be honest, I keep hoping Rinoa will be in Kingdom Hearts III because I've always been curious what her voice would sound like.

Will definitely be there Day Zero for a VIIIRE. Can you just imagine Fisherman's Horizon with modern graphics? *swoons*

All of the FF DS games were pretty much gems. I honestly wish they'd included Revenant Wings with the XII remaster, there's a thread back on GAF of DS games in HD and they all look great.

I still need to play Revenant Wings. I heard Vaan's character is more developed in that game.

Speaking of handheld FFs, I do wonder if Crisis Core will get a remaster (akin to a Type-0 treatment) before the VII Remake comes out.

So happy to see all the FFVIII love here. It was always one of my favourites. Great atmosphere with beautiful soundtrack.

Hilariously abusable combat system is part of the charm ;)

Yes!

I just wish you could skip the GF summoning scenes. I don't think you can with the Steam port either.

But yeah, warms my heart seeing VIII get more love on here.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sup FF Community Thread! New around these parts. Crazy to see so much FFVIII Love here!

I've played all the mainline games except XV still... don't own a PS4 but I'll be picking up the PC version when that finally drops.

New mobile Final Fantasy releases tomorrow. It's a Premium version of Final Fantasy Legends II, which was originally free-to-play and Japan only. It... looks okay-ish?

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 13 was the bad one and it was "fixed" the Square Enix way. Let's just say they added some sort of fix by making it skippable. Can't say more without spoiling.

Luna's passing is a pretty big spoiler that doesn't happen early on nor it is late in the game. I wouldn't say you're screwed but it sure is unfortunate.

If that's the only thing you've been spoiled on though, the game sure has a few more surprises/revelations for you.

:( now I'm sad.

Oct 29, 2017

I almost consider that a non-spoiler, because in all honesty, with the way that the plot is written, the "importance" of that spoiler barely has gravitas in the grand scheme of things.

CountZero

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Not exactly game related (but related to the music discussion) - I got to go to see Final Fantasy A New World (the chamber music companion concerts to Distant Worlds) in Portland earlier in the year. That was a really great concert, and really affordable too. Unfortunately, their merch booth was only set up for cash, so I was not able to pick up a copy of the album though.

(Really, who doesn't have a Square these days?)

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to go to Distant Worlds but I either found out about after it's sold out or I don't have enough extra money to spend to go. It sucks because they on'y come here about every four years.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Not exactly game related (but related to the music discussion) - I got to go to see Final Fantasy A New World (the chamber music companion concerts to Distant Worlds) in Portland earlier in the year. That was a really great concert, and really affordable too. Unfortunately, their merch booth was only set up for cash, so I was not able to pick up a copy of the album though.

(Really, who doesn't have a Square these days?)
I never got the chance to go to Distant Worlds, but I did see A New World in Vancouver a couple years ago. It was really, really great. Super beautiful!

Sucks about the merch booth only taking cash tho! :(

CountZero

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
I've always wanted to go to Distant Worlds but I either found out about after it's sold out or I don't have enough extra money to spend to go. It sucks because they on'y come here about every four years.
Tickets to A New World were about $20 US. The venue was significantly smaller though (it was a small theater at the University of Portland).

CountZero

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Distant Worlds here was last May and while pretty cheap, I had just came back from a study abroad trip and didn't even have that much extra money to spend.
Yeah - Distant Worlds is playing in PDX this February, on my birthday, so I made sure to grab tickets early (which is probably for the best because I might be getting an apartment soon - so I've got to worry about moving expenditures to worry about).

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they were here in October for A New World concert and I never got any type of email about it. :/ I rejoined up the mailing list so hopefully I actually get notified next time. I'm so salty lol.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this! I just ordered it. Curious to see how it all looks when released.

Monsters have requirements to be recruited. Some are basic things like do damage or use specified elemental damage while others can be a little more complicated like casting specific ailments. Just remember that when going into fights.

The monsters also have a license board style upgrade system that unlocks abilities and stat increases through leveling and gaining AP. It's also where you can unlock the next form with it's upgrade though that requires a specific requirement too like reach a certain level or defeat a monster.

Otherwise the game is pretty simple. There's a lot of different setups due to the amount of sizes and power of monsters so just carry around a good amount of coverage for fights that need certain types. If you start to struggle anywhere just post here and I can try and help you out with monster recommendations. Oh and make sure to save items! They're extremely powerful for later game stuff if you keep high end magic items like thundaga, firaga, waterga, etc. Try to avoid using your items unless it's healing ones.

Enjoy!

https://www.fftradingcardgame.com/en/page/how-to-play

I think their official site explains it quite well but I'm not deep into TCG so if there is better I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Go back to the twin's room every now and then to read the bio's on characters and enemies. The devs put some funny stuff in there.

Will do!

Ooooh. I totally forgot how good that game was. I had a blast with it. Definitely listen to Wazzy's post :) It was more or less what I was going to type out. The music is really good too. Have fun! Playing it on Vita or PS4?

Playing on the PS4.