• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to embark upon the journey that is Final Fantasy XIII for the first time....is there anything I should know before I go in? If it matters I like to see and get as much of everything as I possibly can when I play games, and the idea of getting game breakingly powerful is always appealing if possible (see FFVIII). Any essential info nuggets for me? Or do I just go straight to a guide?
The game has a level cap for the first half of the game so you can only grind so much. It's moreso about learning different strategies with the Paradigm Shift than any bonuses from leveling. I always tried to unlock as much abilities as possible when I played each Chapter though.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I just finished FFX today for the first time and I have mixed feelings about the game. Might make an OT in adopt-a-thread. But yeah, the story was good but the voice acting was terrible (for the most part) and the characters suffered from this. Auron, Rikku, and Wakka I liked, but Yuna, Kimahri, Lulu and boring nothings to me and Tidus is fucking terrible...(but grew on me despite this) and I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up at the ending. Coming off of FF IX really did this game a disservice, but I still enjoyed it despite the ridiculous difficulty spike in the second half.

X definitely has my favorite FF ending. Still gives me chills to this day. I feel like I've seen a lot of people come after the voice acting but I never had a problem with it. I don't know, maybe I either have a much higher tolerance for voice acting or I'm blinded by nostalgia. And the only thing terrible about Tidus is his sense of fashion. :p

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
X definitely has my favorite FF ending. Still gives me chills to this day. I feel like I've seen a lot of people come after the voice acting but I never had a problem with it. I don't know, maybe I either have a much higher tolerance for voice acting or I'm blinded by nostalgia. And the only thing terrible about Tidus is his sense of fashion. :p

Ya know, after finishing the game and all, I have to say the Tidus/Yuna romance was actually well done and probably my favorite FF romance. It feels like FFIX's romance made the focus of the story like FFVIII, but Tidus and Yuna had much more chemistry than Rinoa and Squall, and had a more touching ending than FFVIII.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to embark upon the journey that is Final Fantasy XIII for the first time....is there anything I should know before I go in? If it matters I like to see and get as much of everything as I possibly can when I play games, and the idea of getting game breakingly powerful is always appealing if possible (see FFVIII). Any essential info nuggets for me? Or do I just go straight to a guide?

Eh...not really. Just don't get confused by all the goofy terms being thrown around.

The game's very straightforward for the better part of it.
But you may want to look up a guide for Upgrading Weapons and tinker with that when you're a bit later into the game.

The game has a level cap for the first half of the game so you can only grind so much. It's moreso about learning different strategies with the Paradigm Shift than any bonuses from leveling. I always tried to unlock as much abilities as possible when I played each Chapter though.

Yup. More specifically, you're capped on how far you can basically increase your Stats/Ablities for the majority of the game.
(So you're basically stuck on X Stage of the Crystarium until you beat a Chapter Boss, then that unlocks the next Stage and so on.)

Annoyingly, you can't fully unlock the Crystarium until you beat the game since the final Stage is gated off until you beat the Final Boss.
But by that point, you should be more than well-equipped to beat the game.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
There was a stream going on earlier today too. Is it just them playing or is there gonna be news?

Yeah the previous one seemed to be a tutorial for the NT, but this one is going to have news and a big version update.

They were also teasing it during the Golbez reveal.

I'll probably make a thread once the stream ends.

Last edited:

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Golbez and CoD alternates:
DPjzTidWkAAxCT3.jpg:large

DPjzUP4WAAEJmD2.jpg:large

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Is that his DS armour? Probably a better choice for an alt than the After Years costume - it'd have looked weird with the increase in detail when kept to armoured Golbez's proportions; while this keeps his central look consistent but makes use of the game's level of presentation to show off the finer differences in the two designs that'd have been less apparent with the previous games' models.

Also, CoD looks great; it's a huge improvement next to the PSP Cloud of Light costume that was barely above a recolour.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Flower Fields FFVIII stage and a proper Noctis reveal trailer.

Link should be up soon.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting that choice - the transformation is a nice effect; but it's another wide open flat stage...I guess it's necessary for the team-based focus, but there really isn't a great deal of variety.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting that choice - the transformation is a nice effect; but it's another wide open flat stage...I guess it's necessary for the team-based focus, but there really isn't a great deal of variety.

Yeah, I agree with you. I was hoping for Balamb Garden myself. I'm just glad they finally put an VIII stage in the game tbh

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Shinji Hashimoto at the Final Fantasy pop-up store in London earlier this month. He took photos of the crowd outside then walked away. If I wasn't in the line I would have talked to him, but at least I saw him.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'm really hoping for is Final Fantasy VIII on PS4. I'd take the Steam port at this point.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah VIII's time has come. I would be more than willing to repay for a Steam version if it got updated like IX and that shitty MIDI music was gone.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah VIII's time has come. I would be more than willing to repay for a Steam version if it got updated like IX and that shitty MIDI music was gone.

I'd love an VIII port with updated models like what they did with IX and the old music back, but I'm so desperate for VIII on PS4 I'd pay for the Steam port as it is now lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they skip VIII over IX on PS4? They did the same on iOS too.

They skipped over VIII on PS4 because it doesn't have a mobile version yet. The PS4 port of IX was the mobile version touched up to work on PS4. The general consensus is that VIII won't get a PS4 port until it gets a mobile version. As to why VIII doesn't have a mobile version is up for debate. Maybe Square-Enix didn't think it was popular enough or maybe there's another reason? We don't know.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Do people hate FF X-2? I've been playing through it and it's pretty fun so far. The change in tone after FFX was very unexpected. Seeing that opening cutscene at "Yuna's" concert was so bizarre coming off of the ending of FFX. The Dresspheres are fun to mess around with and upgrade. The characters.....kinda suck. Paine has yet to do anything and Rikku's brother is annoying as all hell. Shinra is just genius kid and not much else. Buddy is fine but only compared to how terrible Brother is. I do think Rikku and Yuna are improved in this game that the last tho. (Yuna's voice acting being better helped a lot). I do hope this Vegnagun plot goes somewhere interesting and this "Tidus" sphere plot has a satisfying conclusion. Otherwise enjoying the game nonetheless.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Do people hate FF X-2? I've been playing through it and it's pretty fun so far. The change in tone after FFX was very unexpected. Seeing that opening cutscene at "Yuna's" concert was so bizarre coming off of the ending of FFX. The Dresspheres are fun to mess around with and upgrade. The characters.....kinda suck. Paine has yet to do anything and Rikku's brother is annoying as all hell. Shinra is just genius kid and not much else. Buddy is fine but only compared to how terrible Brother is. I do think Rikku and Yuna are improved in this game that the last tho. (Yuna's voice acting being better helped a lot). I do hope this Vegnagun plot goes somewhere interesting and this "Tidus" sphere plot has a satisfying conclusion. Otherwise enjoying the game nonetheless.
Despite some of the silliness I loved it. Combat is too good and catching monsters is always fun.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Quoting for some help!

Guys, thinking of replaying every Final Fantasy from I to IX (already beaten the rest of them recently).

I would do it on the PS4, trough the collections and stuff, but...you know, no BC, no PS1 classics.

I have an iPad Mini and a PS Vita, and also the PSP Go is darn cheap these days.

What is the best way to enjoy these classics? On the go is always a plus so I didn't think about getting a PSOne.

Also, there are a lot of different versions! Final Fantay 3 and 4 3D remakes on the iOS, are these better than the originals\PSP versions?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting for some help!

With the systems you listed:
FF1 and FF2 on Vita through FF Origins (PSOne Classic)
FF3 on Vita by playing the PSP version
FF4, not so sure, either the PSP version or iPad for the 3D remake
FF5, normally GBA, but I guess the next best thing is the ugly iOS version?
FF6, same.
FF7 on PS4 (or Vita, I guess, the PS4 version isn't that different from the original)
FF8 on Vita (PSOne Classic version)
FF9 on PS4 (same as FF7)

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
With the systems you listed:
FF1 and FF2 on Vita through FF Origins (PSOne Classic)
FF3 on Vita by playing the PSP version
FF4, not so sure, either the PSP version or iPad for the 3D remake
FF5, normally GBA, but I guess the next best thing is the ugly iOS version?
FF6, same.
FF7 on PS4 (or Vita, I guess, the PS4 version isn't that different from the original)
FF8 on Vita (PSOne Classic version)
FF9 on PS4 (same as FF7)

Nice, thanks!

So, no real reason to buy a PSP Go, regarding Final Fantasy, other than it being smaller so easier to put in the pocket?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know the PSP Go only has access to the same games that the Vita does.
Unless you want to hack it, of course, but all the FF games are on PSN anyway, except for one stupid exception I just remembered: FF Origin is not available on the European store and the PSP versions of FF1 and FF2 are not available on the US store. Well, and Crisis Core isn't available at all, but you didn't want to play that one, did you?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
As far as I know the PSP Go only has access to the same games that the Vita does.
Unless you want to hack it, of course, but all the FF games are on PSN anyway, except for one stupid exception I just remembered: FF Origin is not available on the European store and the PSP versions of FF1 and FF2 are not available on the US store. Well, and Crisis Core isn't available at all, but you didn't want to play that one, did you?

FF Crisis Core wasn't on my list. Already have it (UMD) and beat it not so long ago (before I sold my PSP 2000.

The thing with the PSP Go is the form factor and how small it get's when closed. Much easier to use it in public transportation than the VITA or the iPad Mini.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Opus IV box, I thought it was planned for next month but I'm glad it is already here. Going to unpack tomorrow, see if I have something nice.
(Do we need to bring back that topic?)

Oct 25, 2017
Was excited for my PSVR to arrive today so I could finally play Monster of the Deep. Just watched the UPS guy drive right passed my house and my package tracking says it's still one state over. Hopefully it comes tomorrow.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It got a lot of hate online. People trashed it back in the day and it was mocked in the same way XIII was for the past few years. I've always enjoyed it though and the game sold really well for a sequel title. I think a lot have come around to it after realizing just how varied the gameplay is and how diverse (and fun) the battle system is. In my opinion, it is still the best ATB battle system in the series. Toriyama delivered. Don't expect anything too great from the story (and it IS interesting but they don't really fully develop everything that they could) but I enjoyed it for what it was and all the backstory it gave to Spira. It was interesting seeing how this world that had finally gotten "peace" were building their own factions and getting in fights with each other, since they didn't have a united enemy like Sin to rally behind.

I'm still bitter that I'm stuck at 99% completion lol. I need to get back into it and replay it.

Oct 25, 2017
It got a lot of hate online. People trashed it back in the day and it was mocked in the same way XIII was for the past few years. I've always enjoyed it though and the game sold really well for a sequel title. I think a lot have come around to it after realizing just how varied the gameplay is and how diverse (and fun) the battle system is. In my opinion, it is still the best ATB battle system in the series. Toriyama delivered. Don't expect anything too great from the story (and it IS interesting but they don't really fully develop everything that they could) but I enjoyed it for what it was and all the backstory it gave to Spira. It was interesting seeing how this world that had finally gotten "peace" were building their own factions and getting in fights with each other, since they didn't have a united enemy like Sin to rally behind.

I'm still bitter that I'm stuck at 99% completion lol. I need to get back into it and replay it.

I feel that X-2 got more hate just for the pop theme it had and that a huge number of the haters didn't even play it. One of the biggest complaints was "Yuna's a pop star now? What the hell!", which is clearly not true if you play more than 10 minutes in. XIII on the other hand was hated on by people who did play it and were looking forward to it for years, but didn't get the experience they wanted. Similar to XV.

You could do a Creature Creation run and try to get all the monster endings, and while you're at it, just take the other choice between Youth League and New Yevon. That should bump you up to 100% easily. I recommend you fill up your monster slots with all the high floor Via Infinito monsters before starting NG+ so that you won't have to go past floor 20 on your second playthrough. Then on NG+, use nothing but monsters after the intro (so that YRP stay at around level 5) and you'll be able to gain enough levels to unlock all monster endings in just a single battle or 2 each. The biggest pain is reunlocking the chocobo dungeon, but with no EXP accessories and the Iron Dukes and other accessories from the previous playthrough it's not too bad.

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with FFX-2. It didn't appeal to me and it wasn't trying to. There's some things to like in the game such as the combat, environments and chill score.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I've finally gotten around to playing Final Fantasy I and I'm playing the Dawn of Souls version. Why does the text move so slowly even with max speed? I have to stay pressing A to make it fully load it first and then read it. I'm also wondering why my mages start off with no spells. I would think Black would start with Fire and White would start with Cure at least.

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally gotten around to playing Final Fantasy I and I'm playing the Dawn of Souls version. Why does the text move so slowly even with max speed? I have to stay pressing A to make it fully load it first and then read it. I'm also wondering why my mages start off with no spells. I would think Black would start with Fire and White would start with Cure at least.

You have to buy all your spells in FFI. The Tier 1 spells in Cornelia are cheap so you should be able to afford a couple after leveling a bit before you go fight Garland.