• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I can't say I did a lot of wandering around in FFXV and story is super important to me. And the game is in my top 3 FFs. (I really don't care about sidequests though and skip them in most games.) I genuinely liked the story a lot, and I've chatted on other sites with people who did too. So I wouldn't assume that everyone who enjoys the game just doesn't care about story/lore/etc. It's cool that you feel a certain way about the game but I don't think it's a good idea to assume other people did too and they just didn't value those things in the game.

I mean, it IS lacking. There's a reason the game is getting free story patches. It's because the original presentation was unsatisfactory. There are plenty of aspects of the story that are good and worth discussing, but you can't pretend that there isn't huge chunks of world lore left unexplained and characters that are just dropped. Major characters that only appear once or twice. Vital events that happen off screen and are just briefly told about. Side quests in most FF also really help flesh out the world lore and build character development too, so I can't see how you'd usually skip them if story is really all that important to you.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I mean, it IS lacking. There's a reason the game is getting free story patches. It's because the original presentation was unsatisfactory. There are plenty of aspects of the story that are good and worth discussing, but you can't pretend that there isn't huge chunks of world lore left unexplained and characters that are just dropped. Major characters that only appear once or twice. Vital events that happen off screen and are just briefly told about.

I think it's kind of stupid that they're doing the story patches tbh. I didn't say the game is never messy with its story presentation, but I'm telling you that you shouldn't assume people don't care about story if they like it. I'm not even trying to defend the game. But it's annoying when you decide that something you believe is The Truth. Chances are I felt differently about certain things in the story and the presentation than you did, and that's fine.

Side quests in most FF also really help flesh out the world lore and build character development too, so I can't see how you'd usually skip them if story is really all that important to you.

This. Please don't do this. "If story is really all that important to you" sounds like you don't believe me, and I don't appreciate it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Zodiac Age: 3 characters at 99, now the other 3. Then, Yiazmat and Omega, Trial Mode, and any leftover Bestiary stuff!

I still need to beat FF6 Mobile, I'm just starting World of Ruin (and I never beat the game, wish I had finished the ROM version I was playing).

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of stupid that they're doing the story patches tbh. I didn't say the game is never messy with its story presentation, but I'm telling you that you shouldn't assume people don't care about story if they like it. I'm not even trying to defend the game. But it's annoying when you decide that something you believe is The Truth. Chances are I felt differently about certain things in the story and the presentation than you did, and that's fine.

That's not what I'm saying. I enjoyed the game too and liked what was there of the story. What I meant is that people who really care about story most were typically underwhelmed by the presentation and that the people who loved the game and had no complaints typically cared more about the setting/designs and exploration and combat than the story. Of course there are exceptions. It's a similar case to MGSV. The MGS lore nuts were typically very upset with the game whereas other people call it one of the greatest of all time.

This. Please don't do this. "If story is really all that important to you" sounds like you don't believe me, and I don't appreciate it.

You said you usually skip side quests right after saying story is super important to you. Side quests are usually important to the lore in FF. If you usually skip them then you demonstrably don't care that much. I don't know how to point that out without sounding crass.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean saying someone doesn't care about the story because they didn't go out and do every single side-quests sounds really elitist. By that logic most fans don't care about the story since they don't go out and read Ultimania guides that include extra information about the story of the game which would be ridiculous.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
You said you usually skip side quests right after saying story is super important to you. Side quests are usually important to the lore in FF. If you usually skip them then you demonstrably don't care that much. I don't know how to point that out without sounding crass.

You're being a dick. Please don't tell me what I do and don't care about. You're not "pointing out" anything to me — I know what my own tastes are. God forbid I'm not always interested in beating superbosses or finding hidden weapons. What lore.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean saying someone doesn't care about the story because they didn't go out and do every single side-quests sounds really elitist. By that logic most fans don't care about the story since they don't go out and read Ultimania guides that include extra information about the story of the game which would be ridiculous.

I'm not saying people who don't do all the side quests or read the ultimanias don't care about story. I'm saying people to whom story is super important do.

You're being a dick. Please don't tell me what I do and don't care about. You're not "pointing out" anything to me — I know what my own tastes are. God forbid I'm not always interested in beating superbosses or finding hidden weapons. What lore.

Vincent's entire story? Yuffie? Shadow's entire backstory? Sephiroth's backstory? Zack's entire story? Locke's and Rachel's story? Shumi Village? Vivi and Quan's backstory? These are all side quests.

Edit: I'm sorry. I get overzealous when it comes to story and am probably just blowing things out of proportion.

Last edited:

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No reason to fight over this. The main story is the main story, sidequests are additional information that might or might not be interesting and/or important. Most of the time it's not. You can care about story without seeking out every bit of it that might be hidden somewhere. Of course that way you might miss some stuff, but you'll live.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I'm not saying people who don't do all the side quests or read the ultimanias don't care about story. I'm saying people to whom story is super important do.

Vincent's entire story? Shadow's entire backstory? Sephiroth's backstory? Zack's entire story? Locke's and Rachel's story? Shumi Village? Vivi and Quan's backstory? These are all side quests.

Dude. I made a parenthetical comment about how I generally don't care about sidequests in any game, and you extrapolated that out to mean I don't genuinely care about story. Your second sentence up there is gatekeeping.

Since we're apparently having this discussion, I'm much more likely to do a sidequest that ties into the story or gives character background. So, yeah, I've done all those quests. (Except for Sephiroth's backstory? I don't know which quest you mean by that.) But if I'm playing FFX, which is my favorite of the series, I skip all the side content most of the time because I don't think it's fun. Sometimes I'll go grab Yojimbo or Anima, but that's it.

We were talking about FFXV, which I agree doesn't have the best quests. Especially because I prefer story quests. That's the context of my comment. I only mentioned I don't care much about sidequests, because the lack of quality sidequests in FFXV didn't detract from the game for me.

My own edit:

Edit: I'm sorry. I get overzealous when it comes to story and am probably just blowing things out of proportion.

It's cool. I can get overzealous about story stuff too lol

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I did every sidequest in FFXV because thought the game was fun to play. I don't remember much lore in any of those sidequests tbh. Really enjoyed the game despite it's story issues (what was the point of collecting the 13 armaments? where did Ravus fuck off to for 3/4ths of the hame? why did they all trust Ardyn for no reason when they said they had to be cautious people were coming after Noctis?, etc.). Other than that, there wasn't much I disliked.

Oct 25, 2017
Your second sentence up there is gatekeeping.

I only mentioned I don't care much about sidequests, because the lack of quality sidequests in FFXV didn't detract from the game for me.

Shinra mansion and Zack's side quests is what I meant for Seph.

I misunderstood it as not caring about quality side quests in general so the lack of them didn't matter.

Gatekeeping? I was just saying by nature lore nuts seek lore.

Anyway. I'm done. I just kneejerked to a misunderstanding. If you do the story side quests my whole argument is moot.

sinuosity

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta admit I have a hard time understanding folks caring about story and liking Ffxv a lot too. The game certainly has some strengths (combat's fun, enemy designs are great, etc) but the story and worldbuilding are super bare bones, so it just wasn't really for me as a fellow story/world weeb

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys I'm interested in trying Tactics for the first time. Should I buy the original or War of the Lions?

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if we're ever going to have an official OT title but if we do it should be: Final Fantasy |OT| All We Do Is Argue.

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I haven't tried TWOTL but it has been retlanslated with some additional classes/jobs added. I heard the game on PSP is laggy when spells are being cast.
It is. There's a CFW fix for it, but it only works on a PSP IIRC. I haven't tried looking to see if a Vita with CFW could replicate it. Also the slowdown isn't there in the mobile versions from what I hear.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I got the platinum for FFXII finally. Whew.

Amazing game though. I accidentally fudged up and didn't start New Game - and have a save for it, so I doubt I will replay the game anytime soon. Oh well. I'm sure I will replay it one day with different job combos.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing more Triple Triad than playing the actual game.

Might as well get the mobile version. I got it since they added new XI cards, and I was curious to see which and how they're used - not bad, they're using a healthy variety of characters from multiple expansions.

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Are you doing the 'Card' method (aka turning all the monsters into cards)?
Yes. That and playing cards with Trepie #1 or #2 in the Cafeteria and Ma Dincht forever.
Might as well get the mobile version. I got it since they added new XI cards, and I was curious to see which and how they're used - not bad, they're using a different variety of character from multiple expansions.
There is a mobile version? Whaaaaaaat? My life may have just been made again.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well get the mobile version. I got it since they added new XI cards, and I was curious to see which and how they're used - not bad, they're using a different variety of character from multiple expansions.

wow, I need to check out this mobile version...

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
World of Final Fantasy is out now on PC :)

It's here!

ce48bsm3.gif

Vally

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So glad the Pirate's Den is back :D (I wonder why it was removed in the first place)

Okay yeah, that actually IS good FFXII news. I was pretty sour that it was missing from the remaster. I wonder if we'll retroactively get the achievements from an in-progress save

Yep, I just loaded a couple of saves and it displays whichever achievements you've unlocked so far for that save

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I'm playing FFX for the first time and Braska's Final Aeon is eating my ass. The guy is too tough. His overdrive meter restores too quickly and those pillars are a pain in the ass to deal with. Got him to his sword form once. How easier is it to deal with his sword form over his original form?

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Beautiful render, I miss Gabranth... =(

The only DLC from the "original" Dissidia cast...

Could also add the best XI villain, helping to balance the genders and enabling the circle to be 12 characters big:

Lady_Lilith_Battle_%28FFXI%29.png

Or maybe they can just use Shantotto in the villain lineup too when Gabranth is announced.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Everything about Laguna's development arc and storyline is so deeply satisfying. The ending can still make me choke up and sob a little.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I just finished FFX today for the first time and I have mixed feelings about the game. Might make an OT in adopt-a-thread. But yeah, the story was good but the voice acting was terrible (for the most part) and the characters suffered from this. Auron, Rikku, and Wakka I liked, but Yuna, Kimahri, Lulu and boring nothings to me and Tidus is fucking terrible...(but grew on me despite this) and I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up at the ending. Coming off of FF IX really did this game a disservice, but I still enjoyed it despite the ridiculous difficulty spike in the second half.

xist

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm about to embark upon the journey that is Final Fantasy XIII for the first time....is there anything I should know before I go in? If it matters I like to see and get as much of everything as I possibly can when I play games, and the idea of getting game breakingly powerful is always appealing if possible (see FFVIII). Any essential info nuggets for me? Or do I just go straight to a guide?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really, just follow the game. No guide needed until maybe very late in the game when it opens up a little.