• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
The negativity that courses through this site is sometimes crazy. Guess what? If you're posting on this site YOU ARE NOT the target demographic for this game. I'll go further and say you are not the target demo for any final fantasy property anymore. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them of course.

This will be awesome. Can't wait for my son to be a few years older to get into stuff like this.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah, let's take the Final Fantasy game who's major theme is death and the acceptance of your own mortality and adapt it into a show for 8-13 year olds.

Kids will eat this shit up! /s
Adventure Time covers these themes several times. So does Steven Universe. Plenty of kids stuff deals with heavy themes.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Well your personal anecdote has certainly shown that poster
Strong input.

If you are anything like me, we were not normal kids. Hell my kids are not normal kids. I raised them right.
Bambi scarred me more than Final Fantasy IX. There's a lot of stuff kids are exposed to that they don't particularly "get", they just see fun colourful characters and don't tend to get caught up questioning their existence. This games message is probably more damaging to people our age!

Good job raising them right. Normal is boring!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Strong input.

Bambi scarred me more than Final Fantasy IX. There's a lot of stuff kids are exposed to that they don't particularly "get", they just see fun colourful characters and don't tend to get caught up questioning their existence. This games message is probably more damaging to people our age!

Good job raising them right. Normal is boring!
I agree with the saying that it's alright to introduce your kids to darker aspects of life, if by stories/books, cartoons or movies. It's healthy for kids to stray out of their comfort zone and experience something scary or disturbing, or sad once in a while (while, at the same time, remaining in a comfort zone because they aren't really in danger themselves). I mean, back in the day, kids were all about Sonic SatAM and those who grew up watching that show as a kid hailed it for its darker themes. Kids could handle it, they are much stronger than many adults like to give them credit.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
8-13 could mostly just involve avoiding things like graphic violence and sexuality, along with avoiding swearing. It's still old enough to involve certain themes, though the humour will probably be notably kid-aligned regardless.

Most likely decided based off what targets will give the broadest potential audience base.

Feb 29, 2020
Yes? What's the problem?
tenor.gif

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also played GTA when I was 10. I feel like this is not the metric to use personally.
Not sure GTA is a good example to use here, I also have fond memories of renting GTA 2 on my dreamcast for what its worth around that age. Either way, the assumption is that the game was somehow NOT made for that market....just because. Despite it being very popular amongst my demographic at the time and you know, talked about because kids aren't stupid.

It's more about having to reduce the story so it's suitable for that age group rather than them being fine to watch it as is .

If that's the case, I'm not really sure what aspects you're referring to that they wouldn't be able to work with to show. Lot of kids shows these days have no problems flirting with heavy concepts.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Final Fantasy IX was rated T for Teen by the ESRB in 2000. The intended age demographic for the show is 8-13, so at the very least the ostensible ceiling for their show will match up with the ostensible floor for the game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure GTA is a good example to use here, I also have fond memories of renting GTA 2 on my dreamcast for what its worth around that age. Either way, the assumption is that the game was somehow NOT made for that market....just because. Despite it being very popular amongst my demographic at the time and you know, talked about because kids aren't stupid.

The game is literally rated T, so I feel like that speaks to what the target demographic of original release is. Nobody is saying kids can't enjoy it, but there are certain connotations that come with something being specifically made for kids for television. It's fine and I don't think it'll necessarily be a lesser show as a result, but I'm not going to go in expecting to see atomos gobbling people to their death in this show personally for example.

Last edited:

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
FF9 is one of the better ones, you philistine!

My memories of that game mostly consist of long start ups to battles, fucked up ATB, and having some of my favorite series mainstay abilities significantly nerfed.

FF9 ATB if seriously borked. You spend most of your time in a lot of Japanese RPGs in combat.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly don't feel super hyped after reading that studio's list of series. Didnt recognize anything outside of Addams Family and Mini Ninjas, and I doubt those are really up to the standard that FF9 would need to be successful

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
My memories of that game mostly consist of long start ups to battles, fucked up ATB, and having some of my favorite series mainstay abilities significantly nerfed.

FF9 ATB if seriously borked. You spend most of your time in a lot of Japanese RPGs in combat.
Can't argue. It was unfathomably slow. Back then I had all the time in the world to deal with it and did because I adored the trappings and characters. Besides 12, I've gone anywhere from dislike to straight up hating the worlds and design choices since then. 10's battle system was as major upgrade, though. I give it that.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like the people complaining that FFIX is being targeted to tweenagers have never played FFIX. Even back in 2001 people complained that it was too kiddy in comparison to VIII and VII.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like the people complaining that FFIX is being targeted to tweenagers have never played FFIX. Even back in 2001 people complained that it was too kiddy in comparison to VIII and VII.

The generations of calling everything Nintendo "kiddy" set some strange expectations for everyone whose mum bought them a Playstation.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018

I would agree the combat bothered me in ff9 but I maintain that it's got a better written story than 6.i haven't played 8 though

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

That's literally just because of the artistic style. I'd argue the theming/story of IX is among the darkest in the main series personally. At least more so than VII and what I remember of VIII(though it's been a while for VIII).

X is probably the only one I'd personally rank as darker/bleaker*

*Have not gone through VI or XII which I could see end up being potentially darker.

Last edited:

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting like kids 8-13 can only get interested in brand new from-scratch properties. Kids never had attachment to She Ra before the new cartoon and that was popular. Same with Voltron. Toyetic franchises like Transformers or My Little Pony are constantly rebooting for each new generation of kid. It's so weird to act like kids can't get invested in an animated adaptation of something they've never heard of.

the most kid friendly ff i think it should be 3 then 1 i think, i tried to think of a rank but its hard to measure that in the rest of the games since there's some heavy plot lines. but i thinnk 5 could work with some small edits.
1 and 3 don't really have much going on in terms of character and story though. Outside of the little beats of character that you get in 3, you'd pretty much have to wholesale invent a story and characters to make something out of those properties.

I'll give you 5 though, that one probably does have enough material to make a series out of.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I probably would've loved this when I was 9-13. Maybe I will now too. We'll see.

my closeted crush on Zidane at 12 was what got me into FF.

I was too young for FF7 at release. I only discovered the previous two in reverse from 9. Then I played 10.

Really hope they can pull off something good. I've always wanted a good FF series or movie.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, pretty random.

Looking at their animated catalog, some got good art, in my opinion.

Whether anime style or not, I hope it'll be good at least.

🤷

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I know Final Fantasy is not exactly what I'd call a franschise for mature audience but the article calling it "one of the most popular kid-friendly video game franchises ever" made me chuckle a little bit.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, on one hand, it's great to see FFIX getting some recognition. On the other hand, this feels like "Oh, you want to make a kid-friendly FF series? Take FFIX," because Kitase and Nomura aren't interested in doing anything with it and they're dismissing it as the "kid-friendly" one.

But also: it feels to me like most of the entertainment adults consume nowadays is for 8-13 year olds, so it probably won't even make much difference.

Last edited:

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty psyched for this. FFIX is my favorite FF game and it's honestly a good game to adapt to an animated series.

And smh at people here thinking media aimed at 8-13 year olds can't tackle the themes and subject of FFIX. We've had many similar media released already. Hell, Avengers: Infinity Wars had a scene depicting genocide and another scene wiping off half the universe and the heroes. I'm more concerned about this being a cash grab than the company targeting a certain demographic.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'll believe it when there's a final (heh) product. Then again, this is a production company with a better track record than that one company that has the rights to Life is Strange.

Last edited:

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
FFVIII is absolutely more interesting lol

Not even kinda.

Sure, but those were the same people who called Wind Waker "kiddy", which was then and is now a pretty dumb moniker to assign to most games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII but instead of saving the world it's the Breakfast Club.

It basically was already.