• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Note: Open FF7 spoilers, but nothing specifically from the remake since I haven't played that.

It took Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing and getting good reviews, but I finally went and played through the entirety of FF7 on Steam after nabbing it for $5 during the winter sale. I used the excellent 7th heaven mod to update the textures and some of the gameplay. I cannot recommend 7th Heaven enough. It only took a bit of config to get the DS4 d-pad working correctly through DS4Windows and it felt about as native as it could be.

I'm surprised that I was able to make it this long with only the Aerith plot point being spoiled. Everything with Zack and Cloud being a puppet for Sephiroth came out of nowhere. I was also surprised at how little Vincent (and Yuffie) come into the main plot and seem to be completely optional. I was also surprised at how little thought was given to how much death and destruction Avalanche is responsible for during the prologue. It's been a really long time since I played a JRPG from that era so it was very much a blast from the past. The nonsensical Cait Sith character is completely out of place with the reset of the setting (even Red XIII is pushing it). I did like that I completed the main story in under 30 hours. In a day when an action game like Assassin's Creed can be 80+ hours it was refreshing. The plot generally moves along pretty quickly outside of one or two lulls.

Playing through it now, it's easy to see why it made such a big splash. While the graphics (the replaced models and textures are actually pretty decent in 7th Heaven) aren't much to look at now, it definitely would have been groundbreaking at release. In addition to the general edginess and the more "modern" world compared to more common RPGs of the day it makes sense that it stood out. I could have done without most of the minigames. Most of them weren't fun or intuitive.

Are any of the FF7 spinoffs worth looking at? Advent Children? I'm planning on taking a stab at the remake at some point, but after a break. What other RPGs from the 32-bit era hold up?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Avoid the compilation at all costs including advent children.

just play remake when you are done.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I did replay 7,8,9 over the last 12 months.
I would say if you are in the mood for more then play 8 and 9 because both hold up well.
9 has an amazing PC mod for textures.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched Advent Children in a long time, but I remember thinking the action scenes and animation were beautiful, but even as a 13 year old the plot was dumb as rocks. Personally as someone who loves FF cutscenes for their visual flair it was worth a watch just turn off your brain.

The only other part of the compilation worth playing is Crisis Core imo, which I'm hoping they will remake soon :x

And yes absolutely play FF7:Remake after you finish the OG game.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Replaying the OG after the remake only made me dislike the Remake. The original's pacing is just perfect. It makes me sad we might never see it remade.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Advent is dumb, but watch it if you give a damn about the characters at all. Crisis Core is a mess, but arguably worth it for the ending.

If you're looking for more 32 bit jrpgs, then maybe try Valkyrie Profile since it's a classic and not much like it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Advent Children is actually kinda important now, it's not a throwaway thing.

Crisis Core as well. Dirge of Cerberus is shit, maybe watch Max play it or read a summary.

That's kinda it as far as compilation stuff goes. Technically all those games are canon and the Remake even acknowledges Before Crisis of all things, but really CC and AC are the 'decent' chapters

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I mostly agree. 3x speed and optional random encounters made it so much easier for me to play through, otherwise it would have dragged a little too much.

I only got Yuffie on my playthrough, didn't stumble across Vincent. Story was awesome and it really does hold up well; makes me excited to get to FF9 (which seems criminally underrated??) eventually.

Playing through Crisis core now and it's decent, dirge is apparently shit and even though advent children doesn't seem to have a great rep, I definitely want to watch it soon. I actually loved what Remake did and where it's going, even if some of the level design was horrible and pacing off at times.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'd say avoid Advent Children, but it's like 90 minutes or whatsoever so what's the risk in watching it? You can always duck out midway through. The compilation *games* though? Don't bother IMO.
I feel like I hear absolutely nothing about 9. My recollection of 8 is that it is very divisive.
8 and 9 are wholly different experiences from end-to-end but they're both charming in their own rights. 8 in particular is criminally underrated when people talk about the series as a whole. I've played it 4-5 times through, and every time I love it even more than the previous time. It has an extremely specific mood that I have yet to experience in any other game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Advent Children and Crisis Core are only good relative to Dirge of Cerberus. None of them are actually decent.

Go straight to Remake honestly

I feel like I hear absolutely nothing about 9. My recollection of 8 is that it is very divisive.
8 is divisive but really good if you like it. Basically you don't approach it like a grindy battles and level up RPG, you avoid battles and just play cards instead. Also looks a lot better and runs smoother than FF7 (on console at least)

there's tons of "FF9 is great!" Threads, dunno how you missed those. They exist for a reason

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Avoid the compilation at all costs including advent children.

just play remake when you are done.

AC isn't ever going to leave the public thought space tho. Especially not with Smash essentially being a permanent shout out for that movie now. I dont think there's any harm in just watching it for the fancy fights.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First half of Advent Children is kinda dull but the 2nd half is pure fan service. I enjoy it. Don't go in expecting greatness and you should be fine. Most of the new and remixed music is nice too

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
But the Remake is part of the compilation...
tenor.png

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I replayed it years and years after it launched. I thought the same. I hope they actually get someone to remake it someday. Updated graphics, no need for voice acting. I'd take a "The World of Final Fantasy" style if needed to keep the cost down. Anything over the old graphics in HD.

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis Core is not really good but it has some good qualities so I guess I'd recommend it if you're hot on FFVII right now.

Advent Children fucking SUCKS. But at least it's *just* 90 minutes of your time wasted.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding skipping the Compilation: I wouldn't necessarily advise that. Crisis Core was pretty good. And I think Advent Children doesn't necessarily deserve all the flack it gets. (But it definitely doesn't not deserve some of it)

Also, telling someone not to experience the Compilation and just skip straight to FF7R seems... not right to me. I'd at least watch AC, play CC, and watch cutscenes or a recap or something for Dirge of Cerberus. They aren't essential, but I do think they'd enrich the experience in a way.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding skipping the Compilation: I wouldn't necessarily advise that. Crisis Core was pretty good. And I think Advent Children doesn't necessarily deserve all the flack it gets. (But it definitely doesn't not deserve some of it)

Also, telling someone not to experience the Compilation and just skip straight to FF7R seems... not right to me.
Most of those games are not readily available in modern platforms, though.

I never touched them and it was fine. I only played the original and the Remake.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Played it for the first time ever when I was 17 on ps3. Game held up back then after playing all those other advanced games, including final fantasies. It was an amazing experience.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think Dirge of Cerberus will eventually become important maybe. When they introduce Vincent for sure for all the expended story that DoC brings, but you'd also wonder do they even want to make good on that stupid ending. I wouldn't waste too much time with it.

Vincent also isn't a particularly interesting character anyway, whether it's the original game or the compilation.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Replayed it last year because of all the Remake hype. Honestly, could hardly bear through it... the dialogue was so poor, compared with VII and especially with IX.

But it was worth it just to play Remake after it to be honest.

Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite game in the series. Everything from the battles, the story, the characters, and the music just hits all the right places for me.
Count me in the group that can't stand 8. Grinding card games and drawing magic instead of just fighting and defeating enemies is not my idea of fun. The junction system is so busted I sometimes question if it was even play tested throughly. The story has its moments but God damn does it love to throw big reveals at you and then quickly move on as if there aren't questions that need to be answered.

9 is my 2nd favorite in the series. Only thing that holds it back for me are the slow battles and the underwhelming ending, but it was still a very enjoyable ride all things considered.

Oct 31, 2017
FF is my favorite series but I mean this game is way too damn butt ugly and not only was it hard to look at but at times I couldn't understand what was going on during some scenes

Also admittedly the atmosphere is a wee bit too oppressive for me

And the translation really gets in the way of getting invested in the characters

FFVIIR is my jam tho

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would say Advent Children is worth a watch (preferably for free on a streaming service if it's on one) if you plan on playing the remake, but anyone in this thread trying to convince you it's good does not have your best interests at heart. Great soundtrack though

As for FF7, I have too much nostalgia to ever view it objectively, but I do think it holds up better than a lot of people say. I get why the materia system gets flack, but half the final fantasy games I've played end up with the same issue of same-y party members, they just get there in different ways.

Oct 31, 2017
IX is very unambitious gameplay-wise (and a total snooze if you don't use the speed-up feature) but sped-up it's a fun romp and the story is really charming and I absolutely loved my time with it.

VIII is very divisive for good reason. It has a lot of flaws. But I don't care. It's one of my favorite games of all time. It has some convoluted gameplay systems but once it clicks it's very easy to break. Like, very easy. I had a lot of fun with it. The story is crazy fast paced; it felt like going from one set piece to the next. Tons of great moments and environments. Great music. I loved the characters though they are lacking a little in the development department.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would strongly only recommend you follow the advice to skip Advent Children if you only have access to Advent Children.

However if you have access to Advent Children Complete then ignore those saying to skip it.

Its a solid 7 out of 10 flick and most of the characters make sense as they are (especially Cloud, don't listen to anyone call him Emo, just because you make it somewhere in life doesn't mean PTSD goes away or that a person wouldn't experience what he does given his situation) and redesigns everyone to be way better while providing some amazing action.

Avoid Dirge like it's a maskless person in public.

Crisis Core is great. It's fans however I can't stand and turning Zack into a proto Cloud like MGS3 did Big Boss is just as awful here, and just like that game it's fans screaming that Zack/Big Boss should replace Cloud/Snake in everything can really kill any love I had for the title.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
How is saying "you should save your time" considered "over the top mid-2000's-internet-reviewer hate"

Are you an Optoma because baby you're projecting
The movie's nowhere near worth that much dismissiveness and it's ridiculous to see the blind hatred every time. Sorry, just calling it like I see it.

Oct 31, 2017
Idk I feel like Advent Children doesn't even hold up as a "popcorn flick"

the lighting/color scheme is so dull/flat/muted that the CG aged like fucking milk

Also

DILLY DALLY SHILLY SHALLY

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The movie's nowhere near worth that much dismissiveness and it's ridiculous to see the blind hatred every time. Sorry, just calling it like I see it.
Again, how is "I don't think it's worth the time" blind hatred

you actually want to explain your angle because I don't think I'm the one with blind hatred here. I just don't particularly care for the movie

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
FFVIII was a very cool game to return to on Switch and realise that it holds up better than VII or IX cause you can play the whole game levelling your characters through playing cards and turning off encounters.

A real example of a game aging like wine. Except the characters that aren't Squall do sort of still suck

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I used a guide for these so they weren't SUPER annoying, just mildly.

Wish I knew that because I didn't think they'd be insanely hard for being mini-games. Still, I now have the memory of losing my shit after failing the CPR mini-game for five minutes wondering why Cloud wasn't just calling a hearse at that point.