• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
I love it that more people are getting their hands on the game.

...now, let's see if we can get some eventual footage of the full bombing run. Prepare to have your ass blown away.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

...now, let's see if we can get some eventual footage of the full bombing run. Prepare to have your ass blown away.
Hey Dood, your video is what made me want to go to GC this year to see the demo myself. You made it sound like there was more going on mechanically in the secret demo tho, like stances. How does that stuff play out?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting that you can swap characters as you fight. Actually sounds like Nino Kuni 2 honestly, although in that game I think you have to completely finish your attack animation so you really can't "combo".

Is that the case here? Can you start a giant swing or spell, and switch to someone else mid animation to do another attack, or do you have to wait?

Oct 28, 2017
I keep forgetting that you can swap characters as you fight. Actually sounds like Nino Kuni 2 honestly, although in that game I think you have to completely finish your attack animation so you really can't "combo".

Is that the case here? Can you start a giant swing or spell, and switch to someone else mid animation to do another attack, or do you have to wait?
You don't need to wait, I was switching a few times between Barret setting him to heal and then immediately going back to fighting with Cloud, it's all really seamless.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Felt like there was a bit of a delay on switching for me, like sometimes I would find myself spamming it and having multiple switches occur. Something to do with how it pans the camera. But that might just be a case of getting used to the mechanic

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Yeah, your video on the secret demo was fascinating. I honestly wonder if any of that will be publically released at all, they might just go straight to a different demo or simply have us wait until March.

Or we get it come TGS. Hopefully that.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Can you switch character during Tactical mode slowdown? Not talking about assigning ATB moves with R2, but proper character switching during slowdown.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Sounds good, thanks for sharing. Lots of positive responses lately, making me happy. Still kinda worried about how much of the goofiness of the original will remain, but they seem to do a lot of things right lately.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I was going to say that the "secret demo" thing released as a PSN demo would be too much, but it's not the entire bombing run (only up to the Scorption) and it wouldn't be too different from the Judgement Demo FF XV received: a taste of the beginning of the game.

I think they'll release that come January or February (the combat has received almost universal praise and I know there must be many people still on the fence, so it'd be a good way to win them over).

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say that the "secret demo" thing released as a PSN demo would be too much, but it's not the entire bombing run (only up to the Scorption) and it wouldn't be too different from the Judgement Demo FF XV received: a taste of the beginning of the game.

I think they'll release that come January or February (the combat has received almost universal praise and I know there must be many people still on the fence, so it'd be a good way to win them over).
I think if they release the PSN demo, it would be the secret demo + the public demo (scorpion) considering how the secret demo ends right where public demo picks up.
It would be pointless to hide Scorpion boss since it's available for public demo.. Of course it will end at the Scorpion boss so no escaping sequence.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I think if they release the PSN demo, it would be the secret demo + the public demo (scorpion) considering how the secret demo ends right where public demo picks up.
It would be pointless to hide Scorpion boss since it's available for public demo.. Of course it will end at the Scorpion boss so no escaping sequence.
Wait, I thought the secret demo was the beginning of the game up until the Scorpion fight ends. I didn't know it ended where the public demo starts. But yeah, that'd make for a great demo. More on the longer side actually if they don't cut anything (I'll say around 30-40 minutes, but I might overstimating it).

Only a week and a half for a new trailer to drop in any case. I hope there's some good information beyond it, as well as some promotional CG renders and that.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I thought the secret demo was the beginning of the game up until the Scorpion fight ends. I didn't know it ended where the public demo starts. But yeah, that'd make for a great demo. More on the longer side actually if they don't cut anything (I'll say around 30-40 minutes, but I might overstimating it).

Only a week and a half for a new trailer to drop in any case. I hope there's some good information beyond it, as well as some promotional CG renders and that.
I haven't seen it myself but I think Max's impression said that it stops before the Scorpion fight, basically before the public demo starts.. but I am not 100% sure if I am remembering it correctly. Maybe Maximilian can clear it up for us.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I am still cautious on how they will handle progression in these games. Are we going to be able to hit lvl 99, have maxed out materia, have super summons, 'ultimate weapons', superbosses? if so, how in the world would the next episode be balanced?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I haven't seen it myself but I think Max's impression said that it stops before the Scorpion fight, basically before the public demo starts.. but I am not 100% sure if I am remembering it correctly. Maybe Maximilian can clear it up for us.
I watched his account of it during the live stream, and it's been a looong time, so I'm sure I just misremembered. Makes sense that the demo ends there (or that they would cut the presentation in that part), seeing as Max and others had just played the demo themselves.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd take just the public demo because I don't want to be greedy and I would appreciate being able to go hands on with FFVIIR, but I sure as hell would take the full secret demo as well if that was an option. I'd love to see the meat and bones of what Square Enix have been cooking up!

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I am still cautious on how they will handle progression in these games. Are we going to be able to hit lvl 99, have maxed out materia, have super summons, 'ultimate weapons', superbosses? if so, how in the world would the next episode be balanced?
I honestly think they'll just have us start over, at least with regards to levels. They're treating these games a different installments (like the FF XIII trilogy), but I hope there's some degree of transference (like in the Mass Effect games).

Like, I would really hate it if we didn't get to keep our weapons (it's not like I expect there to be a lot of them, maybe four or five per character), non-consumable items and Materia. Gil and levels I guess I could understand, although it'd be nice if they found a way to bring those over too.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think they'll just have us start over, at least with regards to levels. They're treating these games a different installments (like the FF XIII trilogy), but I hope there's some degree of transference (like in the Mass Effect games).

Like, I would really hate it if we didn't get to keep our weapons (it's not like I expect there to be a lot of them, maybe four or five per character), non-consumable items and Materia. Gil and levels I guess I could understand, although it'd be nice if they found a way to bring those over too.

They would probably have some lame "They got destroyed during the bike escape" or "we cant carry them out down the rope". But that doesn't solve the level issue....

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
They would probably have some lame "They got destroyed during the bike escape" or "we cant carry them out down the rope". But that doesn't solve the level issue....
Yeah, the Midgar chase kinda sets it up quite well lol.

But at the end of the day, they don't have to make it make sense in-universe (even though I really like when games incorporate that, like in Mass Effect 2 or KH 2 and 3).
I wonder if we'll get the full party in part 2?
I honestly think so. Although given that they are going to include Yuffie and Vincent as mandatory characters, they might want to have their own mandatory recruiting events at later stages plot-wise, so who knows. At the very least, I guess Cid and Cait Sith would be there for sure.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I *cannot* wait until I get my First Class Edition of this. First game I'm ever spending so much money on, but it's so worth it for me.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
But at the end of the day, they don't have to make it make sense in-universe (even though I really like when games incorporate that, like in Mass Effect 2 or KH 2 and 3).
I'm of the opinion that a sequel game doesn't need an in-universe reason to start from scratch and I'm fine with ending part 1 with a bunch of weapons, items, and levels that evaporate in a sequel, but Nomura is a person who desperately needs in-universe reasons to start from scratch (KHCoM: forgotten memories, KH2: year long sleep, DDD: abilities and training reset to learn properly, KH3: Xehanort fucked with Sora and he lost all his power), so I'm totally expecting Nomura to come up with something, even if it's lame like they got robbed or they left all their equipment in a car that got blown up lmao.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything sounds great! Im so curious to see how they manage to get midgar across two discs! How much bigger could it be!?

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
My guess is levels will work one of two ways - either like FF13 which basically had a "level cap" between chapters, or later levels will require a large jump in XP to make grinding it out take an insane amount of time.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm of the opinion that a sequel game doesn't need an in-universe reason to start from scratch and I'm fine with ending part 1 with a bunch of weapons, items, and levels that evaporate in a sequel, but Nomura is a person who desperately needs in-universe reasons to start from scratch (KHCoM: forgotten memories, KH2: year long sleep, DDD: abilities and training reset to learn properly, KH3: Xehanort fucked with Sora and he lost all his power), so I'm totally expecting Nomura to come up with something, even if it's lame like they got robbed or they left all their equipment in a car that got blown up lmao.
Lol yeah, Nomura loves doing that shit.

What if you're robbed by Yuffie as soon as you defeat the Motorball/whatever final boss they're going to have here đź‘€
My guess is levels will work one of two ways - either like FF13 which basically had a "level cap" between chapters, or later levels will require a large jump in XP to make grinding it out take an insane amount of time.
Yeah, there are definitely ways to go about it.

I'm honestly really curious. I understand that they're going to focus on this one, but it'd be good to have a certain idea of what they're planning to do beyond Midgar. Although I guess that they want to play their cards very close to their chest in case things don't go as planned and have to change stuff. FF XV was very recent I guess.

OP
OP
ThiefofDreams

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you switch character during Tactical mode slowdown? Not talking about assigning ATB moves with R2, but proper character switching during slowdown.
Yeah, you can freely switch between characters at any time. So if your whole team has ATB bars filled you can give commands to all of them during the slowdown.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Should I play this if Dissidia is the only FF I've ever played? Will I miss anything from the story? Is the story self-contained? Thanks.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Kinda worried about the scope of part 2. Multiple towns, open world, almost doubling your party, etc. I dunno how Square will finish this within the next 3-4 years.

Things like the SSDs and CPU leap in the next-gen console might help along, plus the fact that they already have the engine and gameplay foundation and such done.

Also, we can't know how many characters they're adding. Based on all the locations I think part 2 might go up to them arriving at Midgar, in which case the only new characters would be Yuffie and Cait Sith.

Oct 31, 2017
Given how universally positive the impressions are I really hope they use this game's battle system as a base for future FF's. Some identity/familiarity for the series plz

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the original FF VII for the first time and I'm even more okay with part I being all in Midgar than I was before. That's all the best stuff in the game anyway. That game has a super strong opening and I lost interest hard as it went on.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Given how universally positive the impressions are I really hope they use this game's battle system as a base for future FF's. Some identity/familiarity for the series plz
Considering the history of Final Fantasy's combat system, I don't really expect this, unless it's FF game made by the same team.
I expect FFXVI's battle system to be quite different from this.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm liking what I see for the most part from this game but damn do I still have a lot of questions about it too.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things like the SSDs and CPU leap in the next-gen console might help along, plus the fact that they already have the engine and gameplay foundation and such done.

Also, we can't know how many characters they're adding. Based on all the locations I think part 2 might go up to them arriving at Midgar, in which case the only new characters would be Yuffie and Cait Sith.

Thats a good point. I almost feel like square is relying on next generation consoles to fully realize their vision for the whole project. Im fully expecting part 1 to be ported when the systems come out

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Thats a good point. I almost feel like square is relying on next generation consoles to fully realize their vision for the whole project. Im fully expecting part 1 to be ported when the systems come out

Same. Like, they're doing the first, somewhat less technologically challenging (since it's set in a city) installment on current-gen, which will be followed by a tremendous open-world trilogy exclusive to next-gen and taking full advantage of the improvements.

I agree that part 1 will be ported, or at least get BC enhancements. Hell, maybe part 2 will include an advanced version of it and that's how it'll come to other consoles.